Originally Posted By Blacktide:

There is no conversation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
Originally Posted By adversor:

I appreciate the thoughtful reply.  It adds so much to this conversation.

Answer this:  Do you have to do your full 4 step tactical thrust grip drive-thingie when your bad guy is 3 feet away from you?  Or could you shoot him from the hip?

I know you're late to the thread, but there's 7 pages of conversation and counting.

ETA:  8!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]

I know you're late to the thread, but there's 7 pages of conversation and counting.

View All Quotes

Answer this:  Do you have to do your full 4 step tactical thrust grip drive-thingie when your bad guy is 3 feet away from you?  Or could you shoot him from the hip?

Nah, I've been here. You could call the exchange I had earlier about 'searching and assessing', a conversation or discussion.

Am I right to assume the, " full 4 step tactical thrust grip drive-thingie" you're referring to is the simple draw from the holster that has been taught to military, LE, and competitive shooters for 15+ years? If you think that pressing the gun out is some magpul tactical thing, you'd be mistaken.  Did anyone say you should do that if the threat is 3 feet away?  I know I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Nah, I've been here. You could call the exchange I had earlier about 'searching and assessing', a conversation or discussion.

Am I right to assume the, " full 4 step tactical thrust grip drive-thingie" you're referring to is the simple draw from the holster that has been taught to military, LE, and competitive shooters for 15+ years? If you think that pressing the gun out is some magpul tactical thing, you'd be mistaken.  Did anyone say you should do that if the threat is 3 feet away?  I know I wouldn't.
View All Quotes

And clearly you are in the camp of "Since everyone is teaching it, it's the best way."

Like Cory.

When he was embarrassed by an instructor in his own vid which showed his tactical method is slow and meaningless.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread, and Cory's business,  would not be on anyone's radar if not for Erika's "assets".  It certainly is a good business model as its got all the leg humpers and white knights out of the woodwork to defend a guy with zero real world experience that is styling himself as the next Chris Costa.

All he's doing is proving once again that sex sells.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]

And clearly you are in the camp of "Since everyone is teaching it, it's the best way."

Like Cory.

When he was embarrassed by an instructor in his own vid which showed his tactical method is slow and meaningless.
View Quote

That is certainly not why I do it or teach it.  Trust me, I do everything I can to avoid that sort of thinking.

Ron Avery can do what he does because all he's concerned about is engaging cardboard targets as quickly as possible. He doesn't train defensively, just competitively. There is a difference.

I want my gun to be pointed down range. I draw to my high ready position (also where I shoot from retention) and press out from there.  My draw is actually a bit different than what has been taught for years, but I actually think about what I do and teach.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

You're using cowboy movies to bolster your argument? I just figured you were trolling. /shrug
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By patchouli:

Would look cooler if he had flame tats on his trigger finger.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtturn:

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/e96fag5y138?t=5m4s

Would look cooler if he had flame tats on his trigger finger.

I'm late to the thread.  Don't have anything important to add to the general GD pile on.  

But why the hell does he keep looking for his holster when he is re-holstering his gun?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By joeil:

View Quote

Ron is the man and Corey is a fuckin putz.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]

You're using cowboy movies to bolster your argument? I just figured you were trolling. /shrug
View All Quotes

lol

He was referring to cowboy action shooting. Go to google.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

He wasn't using cowboy movies. He mentioned Cowboy Action Shooting, which is a shooting sport that uses firearms used during the latter half of the 19th century.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]

That is certainly not why I do it or teach it.  Trust me, I do everything I can to avoid that sort of thinking.

Ron Avery can do what he does because all he's concerned about is engaging cardboard targets as quickly as possible. He doesn't train defensively, just competitively. There is a difference.

I want my gun to be pointed down range. I draw to my high ready position (also where I shoot from retention) and press out from there.  My draw is actually a bit different than what has been taught for years, but I actually think about what I do and teach.
View All Quotes

Like Cory.

Like I asked earlier:

What's more important:  Getting shots on target as fast as possible, or "defensively"?  You can have one or the other.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#12]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

He wasn't using cowboy movies. He mentioned Cowboy Action Shooting, which is a   shooting sport   period fashion show that   only incidentally uses firearms used during the latter half of the 19th century.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

He wasn't using cowboy movies. He mentioned Cowboy Action Shooting, which is a   shooting sport   period fashion show that   only incidentally uses firearms used during the latter half of the 19th century.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Like I asked earlier:

What's more important:  Getting shots on target as fast as possible, or "defensively"?  You can have one or the other.

View All Quotes

Like Cory.

Like I asked earlier:

Well I can still get the first shot off in just under a second.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a reason high speed mil units seek out high level gamers to teach them.

Regular mil weapons training is borderline retarded and gamers are the best.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]

lol

View All Quotes

lol

Got it. Then the answer is "No, I've never seen Cowboy Action Shooting."

As grounds for an argument against this defensive draw or whatever they are calling it, that still doesn't speak to the point. If I am being attacked at point blank range, I'm not going to draw like I'm shooting competitively. That seems to be their reasoning for the technique. I'm not saying I subscribe to their logic; as stated above I doubt I would be trying to draw at that point (If I did, hey maybe I would draw and fire from the hip like a cowboy!). Nevertheless, if your only argument against this 4-step thing is "they only do that cause it looks cool," you're just being foolish.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Like Cory.

Like I asked earlier:

And if you're doing the 4 step tactical defensive thrust push drive, that's slower than it should be.

Why?

Because it's not efficient.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a reason high speed mil units seek out high level gamers to teach them.

Regular mil weapons training is borderline retarded and gamers are the best.

View Quote

No mil units rely on gamers to train them. It may be a day or week thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]

And if you're doing the 4 step tactical defensive thrust push drive, that's slower than it should be.

Why?

View All Quotes

Like Cory.

Like I asked earlier:

Why?

Contrary to what some companies will have you believe - everything is a compromise. I feel that the speed of my draw is plenty fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Not to be a Ron Avery cheerleader but the guy has over 2 decades of in law enforcement.

A snip from his bio:

A veteran deputy sheriff, police officer and  valedictorian of two police academies, Ron worked the street as well as back country and rural environments for 13 years full time and then as a reserve officer for 12 more years. During his years in law enforcement, Avery also served in the following capacities:

Program Director and Lead Instructor – Tactical Firearms, Patrol Tactics
   Program Director and Lead Instructor – Defensive Tactics/Arrest and Control
   Lead Instructor- Officer Survival
   Primary Designated Marksman/Sniper
   Field Training Officer
   Firearms Expert Witness
   Back country patrol and Search and Rescue
   EMS – First Responder

A martial artist, researcher and world class competitive shooter with many wins, titles and top finishes over the past 33 years, Ron has studied the science of shooting, tactical principles & strategy, martial arts programs, adult education, and other disciplines  and created superior training doctrine and programs that are designed for all levels of ability while being easy to learn and courtroom defensible.

Ron Avery Bio

Why would you say "all he's concerned about is engaging cardboard targets" when that is clearly not the case? The class he was instruction in the video was a defensive handgun class, not a competition class.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JohnBurns:

Not to be a Ron Avery cheerleader but the guy has over 2 decades of in law enforcement.

A snip from his bio:

A veteran deputy sheriff, police officer and  valedictorian of two police academies, Ron worked the street as well as back country and rural environments for 13 years full time and then as a reserve officer for 12 more years. During his years in law enforcement, Avery also served in the following capacities:

Field Training Officer
   Firearms Expert Witness
   EMS – First Responder

A martial artist, researcher and world class competitive shooter with many wins, titles and top finishes over the past 33 years, Ron has studied the science of shooting, tactical principles & strategy, martial arts programs, adult education, and other disciplines  and created superior training doctrine and programs that are designed for all levels of ability while being easy to learn and courtroom defensible.

Ron Avery Bio

Why would you say "all he's concerned about is engaging cardboard targets" when that is clearly not the case? The class he was instruction in the video was a defensive handgun class, not a competition class.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnBurns:

A snip from his bio:

Field Training Officer
   Firearms Expert Witness
   EMS – First Responder

Ron Avery Bio

I'll respond when I get to a computer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:30:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#21]
In a recent interview, kyle lamb said he felt competition shooters were better and could easily be taught to "do it while begind a wall".

edit:  I misquoted a  bit.  interview posted below.  basically saying that competition is really good and the best students are ipsc/idpa competitors.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#23]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
better than what?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
In a recent interview, kyle lamb said he felt competition shooters were better and could easily be taught to "do it while begind a wall".

better than what?  

had to go look it up.... couldn't recall the whole context...

here it is right around 37min.  I didn't have it quite right:

basically saying that competition shooting is really valuable, those guys that do compete are good and make for the best students.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
IS Mr. Avery's holster a special one I like the cut out in the front for the faster draw. I have bravo concealment holster for my 226 and I love it. but that looks like it would help. Also he  seems like a rock star, saying I wont change you but I will help you. I would take a class from him.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Tango_6:

IS Mr. Avery's holster a special one I like the cut out in the front for the faster draw. I have bravo concealment holster for my 226 and I love it. but that looks like it would help. Also he  seems like a rock star, saying I wont change you but I will help you. I would take a class from him.
View Quote

I don't know what his is, but my Bladetech Black Ice is cut like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
From another forum:

This was sent from a reliable source.  Same source forwarded this to the Vigo county city hall due to their recent land use dispute with Range Time.

Cory was apprehended in Vigo County by the police on a AWOL warrant for not appearing at processing for Ft Benning. He went coward and bailed. Rather than put him through the ringer with the UCMJ, he just got kicked out on a general discharge. There is 'nothing' in his file about medical discharge or a heart murmur.

Date of incident 2001, 0424/1300

Absent from 30th AG BN Reception Ft. Benning, GA

Cory DOB 5 Jan 78

Unit affiliation, Alpha company, 30th Adjutant General Battalion (Reception) Fort Benning, GA

Full Name: Jackson, Cory Alan

On about 1300 hrs, 24 April 2001, without authority, absent himself from this unit, to wit: Alpha Company, 30th: Adjutant General Battalion (Reception), located at Fort Benning, Georgia, and did remain so absent until he was apprehended.

THE PLOT THICKENS!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#27]
From another forum:

This was sent from a reliable source.  Same source forwarded this to the Vigo county city hall due to their recent land use dispute with Range Time.

Cory was apprehended in Vigo County by the police on a AWOL warrant for not appearing at processing for Ft Benning. He went coward and bailed. Rather than put him through the ringer with the UCMJ, he just got kicked out on a general discharge. There is 'nothing' in his file about medical discharge or a heart murmur.

Cory DOB 5 Jan 78
Unit affiliation, Alpha company, 30th Adjutant General Battalion (Reception) Fort Benning, GA
On about 1300 hrs, 24 April 2001, without authority, absent himself from this unit, to wit: Alpha Company, 30th: Adjutant General Battalion (Reception), located at Fort Benning, Georgia, and did remain so absent until he was apprehended.

THE PLOT THICKENS!!!

View Quote

So when is Taliban time with Bergdahl coming out? probably will have some sweet AK tips
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#28]

From another forum:

View Quote

Cory DOB 5 Jan 78

THE PLOT THICKENS!!!

Wow...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow indeed. Some nerve to still list this on his resume if he just skipped out before even showing up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]
that girl is ridiculously cute.  good for her shooting and enjoying the sport.

and yes, I would...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, every trainer starts somewhere and *gasp* not everyone of them are Tier 1 operators.

This notion that in order to teach shooting skills you have to have been former military/SWAT preferably SF/SEAL/etc. is rediculous and frankly getting old.
I'd rather take a few lessons from a 3gunner that shoots daily, or even weekly, and is taking in a variety of courses themselves, than a former 11B that carried a SAW through a couple deployments and hasn't done shit since.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By AudiDat:

Meh, every trainer starts somewhere and *gasp* not everyone of them are Tier 1 operators.

This notion that in order to teach shooting skills you have to have been former military/SWAT preferably SF/SEAL/etc. is rediculous and frankly getting old.

I'd rather take a few lessons from a 3gunner that shoots daily, or even weekly, and is taking in a variety of courses themselves, than a former 11B that carried a SAW through a couple deployments and hasn't done shit since.

View Quote

I think you missed this post...

"From another forum:

This was sent from a reliable source. Same source forwarded this to the Vigo county city hall due to their recent land use dispute with Range Time.

Cory DOB 5 Jan 78

On about 1300 hrs, 24 April 2001, without authority, absent himself from this unit, to wit: Alpha Company, 30th: Adjutant General Battalion (Reception), located at Fort Benning, Georgia, and did remain so absent until he was apprehended."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

That would be fair to say if Cory were either of those things.

The point here, however, is that it would seem that Cory is neither prior-mil (for all intents and purposes) nor a competitive shooter and the only thing he can bring to the table is regurgitated tacticool bullshit and sick youtube vids, yo.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: westernhaikus1] [#35]
I left a polite, constructive comment on their youtube channel once about some bullshit video series they were doing which was supposed to a "pre-review" video of the latest product their sponsors sent them. I was answered with "if you don't like it don't watch" from whoever runs their youtube account.

The more I see these guys talking about "running an EDC setup" and all the instructors use the same flavor of the month gear and all act the same, the more I lose interest. I also can't stand Erika's voice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]

The point here, however, is that it would seem that Cory is neither prior-mil (for all intents and purposes) nor a competitive shooter and the only thing he can bring to the table is regurgitated tacticool bullshit and sick youtube vids, yo.  

View All Quotes

You're correct, I was very general in my post on purpose, as I wasn't referring to C&E so much as the masses here that talk shit about people simply because they aren't former highspeed low drag types.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#37]

You're correct, I was very general in my post on purpose, as I wasn't referring to C&E so much as the masses here that talk shit about people simply because they aren't former highspeed low drag types.
View All Quotes

10-4

I'm following you know
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep...she's an 11 out of 10...damn.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I feel sorry for anyone that thinks she is an 11 our of a 10. She's a 7 at most.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
"Give us money, did you see my ass?"
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By hauslp:
View Quote

That is a time tested, proven business model
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think I would take a class from him. He doesn't have the background that I would look for in an instructor that I would pay a lot of money to.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#43]
With all you guys criticizing these people, what people do you recommend? Vickers, Rogers? Pat mac?

I'm in Indiana and I have heard of rumors of stuff like that from Cory. He seems cool, but I have no where else to get proper instruction. Who do you people recommend then? I see you criticizing Haley, Costa. Heck do you guys recommend Craft  international?

I would really like to know since there so much hate here lol. There's nothing wrong with it. I kind of agree with you guys. I only watched his vids for that fine ass and sexy thick ass legs of Erika.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Zaminsky:
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By hauslp:

And there was a time in this country, a long time ago, when reading
wasn't just for fags and neither was writing. People wrote books and
movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it
was farting, and I believe that time can come again!

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Well, he's taller than me, plus he moved the rear sight waaaaayy over on my rifle when he borrowed it for a series of videos, but never put it back.

And that gentleman can SHOOT without holding the just drawn gun two inches in front of his chest and sllloooowly turning his head left and right "Looking For Work" as I've heard Haley say.

So there.

He's actually one of the more mellow, laid-back gun guys I've ever met. No swagger or bullshit, just a regular dude who loves to talk about guns.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:
Originally Posted By Moses_J:
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
I wonder how hard it is to do anything in the shooting realm without making a sea of haters.

Be yourself. Look at Hickok45. I've never read one bad comment about him.

Well, he's taller than me, plus he moved the rear sight waaaaayy over on my rifle when he borrowed it for a series of videos, but never put it back.

And that gentleman can SHOOT without holding the just drawn gun two inches in front of his chest and sllloooowly turning his head left and right "Looking For Work" as I've heard Haley say.

So there.

He's actually one of the more mellow, laid-back gun guys I've ever met. No swagger or bullshit, just a regular dude who loves to talk about guns.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Moose:

IIRC, they're the two closest shooters.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/14589358273_57cb8f26b9_c.jpg

I didn't realize they're teaching classes now, but I did check their site and it does appear they have a few combat veterans on staff also. If they can get more people into shooting and training them in the Basics, good for them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moose:
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fish:
And not a single frigging picture has been posted.

IIRC, they're the two closest shooters.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/14589358273_57cb8f26b9_c.jpg

I didn't realize they're teaching classes now, but I did check their site and it does appear they have a few combat veterans on staff also. If they can get more people into shooting and training them in the Basics, good for them.

How about raking the fucking range??
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#47]
all i know is, i would watch it if she was naked, otherwise, dont care.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Slovpeter:
With all you guys criticizing these people, what people do you recommend? Vickers, Rogers? Pat mac?

I'm in Indiana and I have heard of rumors of stuff like that from Cory. He seems cool, but I have no where else to get proper instruction. Who do you people recommend then? I see you criticizing Haley, Costa. Heck do you guys recommend Craft  international?

I would really like to know since there so much hate here lol. There's nothing wrong with it. I kind of agree with you guys. I only watched his vids for that fine ass and sexy thick ass legs of Erika.
View Quote

Do they give a % to the widow?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

It was started by Chris Kyle... Lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I know.

I also know arfcom cares deeply that his widow gets her monies.
Page / 236
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top