Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2014 10:03:21 AM EDT
I'm just curious how one relocates.. I live in PA and always wanted to live out west, preferably Utah. I'm only 25 and have a career, a wife and two kids. How would a family like mine get up and move across the country? How did you do it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I moved from IA to OH and just said fuck it, put my notice in and work and packed everything I owned in my jeep and trailer and went.

I had no real plan of what I was going to do but it worked out for me as I have a great job,a house, and an amazing woman.

I was 26 when I did the move.

Edit: most of my friends and some of my family had no idea I moved and thought I fell of the earth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It's best to obtain employment wherever you want to move first, though not mandatory if you have a savings cushion.  I would encourage renting initially, so you can figure out which neighborhood/area you want to settle in.  Have you looked into an inter company transfer?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I put in my 2 weeks notice and packed up stuff and drove from Oregon to Texas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
First time with a U-Haul.  Second and third time with a Budget truck.  CA  to UT, back to CA, and back to UT.

I'd really recommend lining up a job beforehand if you can.  If you are currently unemployed it doesn't matter though.

I'm looking at moving to ID or MT within 5 years.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's best to obtain employment wherever you want to move first, though not mandatory if you have a savings cushion.  I would encourage renting initially, so you can figure out which neighborhood/area you want to settle in.  Have you looked into an inter company transfer?
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I packed up my shit and moved it and me  from Oregon to Nevada.

It wasn't that big of a decision considering I was starving in Oregon.

I still miss my home state sometimes, but Nevada has been very good to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
the wife and 2 year old boy flew out to Grandmas house in Az from FL.....

I drove my Tundra from FL to Phoenix with two cats and eight fish.... then flew back to FL to pack up an ABF freight 20 footer and also packed a Hertz 24 footer.

Then drove to AZ from Fl.

DO NOT GET CRABBY WITH THE CUNT AT THE WEIGH STATION IN LA.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Have an ex pats done this abroad?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would try to find a new job prior to the move, though I'm not sure how an employer would handle someone relocating? I work in construction (plumbing and heating more specifically) so a company transfer isn't an option. If I was single I think I would just get up and go, but with a family it puts a lot more pressure on me .

Work is good here but I know I can be doing better, I've had other companies actively seek my employment, but always felt that if I changed employers before going into business for myself, I would want to move and live at a place of my choosing rather than just a place I was born in.

I was thinking of flying out for a blowout weekend and scope out a few areas I had in mind before I did anything.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I've only moved long haul three times.

I've always been and still am single.

First time was when I was 22, I lived in MN and got a job in AZ (where I've always wanted to be).  I bought a pickup truck, loaded all my Earthly belongings into it, and drove to AZ.

Second time was when my job transferred me from AZ to KS (hated it), it was a company move - they packed up all my stuff and moved it from AZ to KS, I just hopped on a plane and three hours later I was moved, it cost me nothing...

Third time was when I got the hell out of KS and moved back to AZ, that was also a simple company move that cost me nothing.

I'm retired in AZ now and I don't ever have to worry about moving again.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm just curious how one relocates.. I live in PA and always wanted to live out west, preferably Utah. I'm only 25 and have a career, a wife and two kids. How would a family like mine get up and move across the country? How did you do it?
View Quote

How does your wife feel about relocating?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My advice, take it for what it is.

1) Sit down with your wife, and make a list of place that you BOTH want to move too. Don't try to talk her into moving something she doesn't like, it will end poorly.

2) Get on ARFCOM, go to the Hometown Forums, and ask about the locations you're looking at. Ask for pros AND cons.

3) Shorten the list and pick your favorite.

4) Stash the kids with family for a long weekend, get on a plane, and visit.

5) Once ALL of the above steps have been completed, and you have BOTH decided that you like the new locale, start looking for a new job there.

6) Start packing your shit. You have a lot more of it then you think. If you have the money, sell/give away all your furniture, and pick up new stuff when you get there. Furniture is expensive to move.

7) Try to plan on moving during the summer. Disrupts the kids lives less, if they're school-aged.

8) Pack your shit in the truck, and move!
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]

I've moved from Michigan to Jeddah Saudi Arabia in 2009 for a job.  That was a train wreck.  I came back after a couple months.

In 2012, I moved from Michigan to Arizona.  I transferred from our Michigan operation to our Phoenix one and was promoted a year later.

So I've had both good and bad experiences relocating.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]
If you cannot figure it out on your own you best just stay where you are.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've moved from Michigan to Jeddah Saudi Arabia in 2009 for a job.  That was a train wreck.  I came back after a couple months.

In 2012, I moved from Michigan to Arizona.  I transferred from our Michigan operation to our Phoenix one and was promoted a year later.

So I've had both good and bad experiences relocating.  
View Quote
care to elaborate in the Saudi move?

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]
1. Find gainful employment in desired location
2. Pack shit up
3. Quit job in shitty location
4. Drive previously noted packed up shit to new location
5. Profit

I did NJ to FL recently and it went well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want to live in Utah go there and do what you have to do to make it work, it really is that simple.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
care to elaborate in the Saudi move?  
View Quote

Sure.  I went over there as an instructor pilot to train Saudi Arabian Airlines first officer candidates from zero time through their commercial pilot certificate.  They started to try and dick with our contract as well as doing some other stupid things so I went back stateside.  A neat experience non-the-less.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've done it 7 times.   4 without family, 3 with.  

You rent a large uhaul give yourself a couple full days to load it, and you drive.   Usually, it's a 7 day min for a long move.  Call around.   The price range varies greatly, but there are deals to be had.  

Get a Job, and living arrangement sorted out first.    

If you can talk your wife into it, just do it.    Most people talk about it, but are afraid to pull the trigger.

And for good reason.   It sucks, but it's worth it if it's for your career.  

It gets harder as you get older.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two weeks after we were married we loaded up our truck and a little trailer and moved to SLC to be ski bums.

Stayed the first night in a KOA, next day we rented an apt. and then found jobs.

Just go for it! It was the best thing ever, never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I've moved around the world my entire life. For CONUS moves, CityData.com is a good resource.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Ive moved 4 times in the last 5 years with my company (Im 27).  Each time they have supplied a moving service (Allied, NorthAmerican, etc).  It has been genuinely awesome to bounce around the US (IL, TX, MS, back to TX).  At this point I could never go back to moving myself ever again.  Pay someone to pack and load and haul your stuff.  Its worth it for the effort and time savings.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#24]
In our 50's we said FO and packed our stuff into a big ass U-haul and moved across most of the country from Utah to FL......without jobs. Uggh. Possibly.........the worst decision at the worst possible time we could have ever made.  We did it on Faith and with very little in the way of resources. Gave lots of stuff away......still trying to recover but we are doing it

FYI the east coast and western US are completely different animals.  If you are going to do it .......do it now while you still can. Tic Toc Tic Toc.

It feels like the music is about to stop in this country and there will be not enough chairs left for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In our 50's we said FO and packed our stuff into a big ass U-haul and moved across most of the country from Utah to FL......without jobs. Uggh. Possibly.........the worst decision at the worst possible time we could have ever made.  We did it on Faith and with very little in the way of resources. Gave lots of stuff away......still trying to recover but we are doing it

FYI the east coast and western US are completely different animals.  If you are going to do it .......do it now while you still can. Tic Toc Tic Toc.

It feels like the music is about to stop in this country and there will be not enough chairs left for everyone.
View Quote

Ha, that's good sigline material right there.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm packing now.  Moving to Montana in a week. Renting a uhaul and moving me and my dags, towing my car.  Pretty stressful with the old lady's stuff being thrown in,  coordinating closing on a mortgage and utilities etc. I'll be glad when it's done.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Moved from MA to South Florida in '77. Put everything my wife and I owned in a U-haul and headed south. I had lost my job up there, we had family down here. Started working construction with my FIL & BIL.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are you asking how moving trucks work, or how to find a job in a different location?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Join the Army.

You'll have it all down in no time.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Allied movers, and $5,000 brought us from RI to Texas.

Monster.com got the job down here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Moving from Los Angels to Texas on Aug 18...

33, wife, 2 daughters 8 & 3...

The realestate is very much in our favor and we will make out well on that. Both of us work in fields where jobs are pretty easy to find anywhere.

After talking about it for a few years we decided last year it was time.. It's a metric shit ton of work, but hopefully only have to do it once.

PODS are your friend.. Or at least seem to be so far..
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#32]
First time, I used a headhunter and moved from NY to CA, second time, I gave a resume to a friend (company gave a $500 hiring bonus if you submitted a resume and they hired the guy) and moved from CA to AZ.
I was very lucky in that both times the hiring company paid for moving.
Get your resume out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm moving from NY to GA this fall. I'm buying new furniture when I get there and I've gotten rid of tons of other stuff I won't need anymore. The few things I am bringing are going in a Pack-Rat pod. Can't help you with the finding a job part.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#34]
+1 on dumping most your shit..

I think I tossed or gave away 80% of the crap in my house. Not taking any frinature that required assemble.. Ie the IKEA type stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Find a job before you go.

Pack your shit

move.

HAVE A JOB.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I did, and used those PODS storage/moving things.  They worked fine, but looking back I'm not sure they were worth the expense and hassle.

If I did it again I'd just get rid of everything but the essentials and buy new stuff at my new location.

You really realize how much crap you have and don't want at all when you do that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would listen to this man OP.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1 on dumping most your shit..

I think I tossed or gave away 80% of the crap in my house. Not taking any frinature that required assemble.. Ie the IKEA type stuff.
View Quote
When we moved into our current location, I did this.  We had some bare rooms for a while, but you end up getting better quality furniture and less clutter.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#39]
This is a tip from a military perspective, but if you are planning to move every few years buy your own trailer.  Saves you money in the long run.  Obviously, if it's a one and done, this is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm moving from NY to GA this fall. I'm buying new furniture when I get there and I've gotten rid of tons of other stuff I won't need anymore. The few things I am bringing are going in a ABF U-Pack Relo-Cube. Can't help you with the finding a job part.
View Quote

Retired NYC Cop moves from NY to GA?

The thread will be awesome!

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I've relocated almost 3 times total, since I've been in the working world.  I say "Almost" because one of them was a relocation from San Diego to Santa Barbara, but I was still employed by the same company, so I already had a job before I moved.  Just had to find a place to live, all that other fun stuff.

The second one was from Santa Barbara area all the way north of Sacramento, and it involved a career change as well as a move.  I had put out feelers for a job and located one, tested, was offered the position, and then had to sell some stuff and consolidate to be able to move.

Last time was from Northern California out here to Texas, but again, more of the same stuff.  Did some research on employment, found several places to apply, flew out to do the hiring interviews and tests, and when I got offered a job, threw the house up for sale, packed everything and moved.

You want to make sure your skills are marketable where you are moving, even better is to have a job already lined up.

All different kids of moves involved for me, in one the company paid for the movers, in the second we packed everything, rented a truck, and drove it ourselves, and in the third, we packed everything and hired a trucking company to come load it, store it, and then unload it at the other end.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Moved from Alaska to Texas to Utah in 8 months. With a wife and 3 year old. It was a ton if work, but we made it happen.

ETA: Find a rental and have it secured before you get there. Having a place to drive TO makes the arrival that much easier.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#43]
found company and job by googling my skill set. first search hit, LOL.
they flew me out for two days to interview.
they made an offer about three hours into day one, and agreed to wait six weeks while i defended my dissertation.
i drove 2400 miles with a few things. because i actually like driving across the country. girlfriend flew out about a week later.  
the rest of my (and GF's) shit arrived a couple weeks later with the moving guys.
it was pretty easy. and all paid for by the employer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Chicago to Atlanta (employer paid relocation and 6 months corporate apartment)

Atlanta to Chicago I paid

I will pay for my own move back to Atlanta.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm moving from NY to GA this fall. I'm buying new furniture when I get there and I've gotten rid of tons of other stuff I won't need anymore. The few things I am bringing are going in a ABF U-Pack Relo-Cube. Can't help you with the finding a job part.

It's not like I'm the first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  Wife and two kids can turn into a lot of ill will if the wife gets homesick or the grandparents back home start complaining about not enough time with your kids.  There have even been lawsuits filed by grandparents over their kids moving cross country and taking the grandkids with them.

Don't overlook that sort of thing.  We looked at several very nice houses when we moved here that were "early retirement homes" built by couples from NJ who thought their dream retirement was to move to the PA mountains. Instead after a couple of years they were moving back to NJ because they wanted to be closer to their kids and grandkids.

I do wish we'd bought either of those two places, but they were just too far out in the woods for my wife's tastes.  Both had 20 to 30 acres and shooting ranges, too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Do not rent a U-haul for starters.

Rent a Penske Truck instead. They where 1/2 the cost of U-haul for a bigger truck when I moved from AL to NC.

U-haul trucks are anywhere from 1980 models to new models. You never know what you will be getting. Most of their big trucks are gas powered and their mpg sucks.

Penske has much nicer trucks and the largest ones are diesel. Which means better fuel economy hauling all your crap.

Get some bankers boxes Banker Boxes
These are strong and pack really nice inside the moving truck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes I have moved to multiple states multiple times, I hope to stay put for a while.

Last move was from Nebraska to Oklahoma.

I was already in Oklahoma for work/looking at house to rent when I had a break from work so I figured it'd be a good time to move. Midmorning on a Thursday I headed back to Nebraska. I borrowed a family friends enclosed trailer and I packed late into the night. I hit the road on Friday by 7am knowing that the family friend needed his trailer back Saturday morning. I got to Oklahoma, unpacked and turned straight back around, returning to Nebraska late at night. Dropped off the trailer and headed back for Oklahoma Saturday morning. I was sick of driving!

I am also single so that makes it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought most kept going until they hit Miami.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I thought most kept going until they hit Miami.
View Quote

Not the smart ones.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top