BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious, who goes to the doctor's office CCW for their annual physical?
View Quote

He'd be guaranteed to be extra gentle to your prostate.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet nothing actually happens. They might talk about it for a few minutes, but you'll probably get another call for your A- by someone else there who knows nothing about your extremist views.  Possibly, they'll try to mollify you by saying something like "after careful consideration, we understand your concerns and don't have a problem with YOU bringing your licensed, registered, unloaded gun while donating blood. Thanks for your support!"

But let's hope they contact you and say "there's no sign like that on the door anymore.  When can we get some more A-?"
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bet nothing actually happens. They might talk about it for a few minutes, but you'll probably get another call for your A- by someone else there who knows nothing about your extremist views.  Possibly, they'll try to mollify you by saying something like "after careful consideration, we understand your concerns and don't have a problem with YOU bringing your licensed, registered, unloaded gun while donating blood. Thanks for your support!"

But let's hope they contact you and say "there's no sign like that on the door anymore.  When can we get some more A-?"
View Quote

Let's all hope the latter. At least unofficially, comments from someone with such an extensive history of donation would carry more perceived gravitas than a statement from someone who refuses to donate ab initio. Furthermore, he stated his position eloquently and without the self-gratifying but counterproductive righteous anger some might have displayed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It will really make you pause and think when someone you know has their life saved with a blood transfusion.  Thinking about a loved one, or even just a friend or acquaintance, who would have died without someone else's gift, is just an awe inspiring thing.  It only costs an hour of your time.  

They have the technique down well enough it is virtually painless.  Just don't look when they slide the needle in, as that bothers some people (me!)--even if you don't know it in advance.  Just chat with the staff and look away.  Five minutes afterward you are done.  And someone(s) has their life saved.  All the politics and BS of the Red Cross is forgotten when that happens.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to start donating blood.  I'm 32 and have never donated.  I don't even know my blood-type.

It will really make you pause and think when someone you know has their life saved with a blood transfusion.  Thinking about a loved one, or even just a friend or acquaintance, who would have died without someone else's gift, is just an awe inspiring thing.  It only costs an hour of your time.  

They have the technique down well enough it is virtually painless.  Just don't look when they slide the needle in, as that bothers some people (me!)--even if you don't know it in advance.  Just chat with the staff and look away.  Five minutes afterward you are done.  And someone(s) has their life saved.  All the politics and BS of the Red Cross is forgotten when that happens.  

According to the wife her best friend who had cancer treatment could only tolerate my donated blood.  It felt good but I was curious what the story was.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Wonder if they will actually do something about it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you.  I even used the Wayne LaPierre quote--"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."  

I said, "Obviously a bad guy, intent on harming others, will ignore that silly sign, as they don't have the same thought processes, or respect, I do.  But if anything horrible like that should ever happen, then I quickly become the best friend in the world to everyone there."  She actually got excited and enthusiastically agreed with that.  I could hear her excitement and she said, "That's RIGHT!"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like you explained it rationally and when it's put like that, it's hard to argue with.

Thank you.  I even used the Wayne LaPierre quote--"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."  

I said, "Obviously a bad guy, intent on harming others, will ignore that silly sign, as they don't have the same thought processes, or respect, I do.  But if anything horrible like that should ever happen, then I quickly become the best friend in the world to everyone there."  She actually got excited and enthusiastically agreed with that.  I could hear her excitement and she said, "That's RIGHT!"  

I tried to donate back when I first started college.  A few months prior I went to Spain and spent a day in Morocco.  Since parts of northern Africa were labeled as warning zones or something, I had to wait 6 months before I could donate.  I just never went back.

I really have no excuse because they the donation bus pulls up right behind my building almost every month.  I would have to just walk downstairs and sign up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I donate as often as eligible, and have done over three gallons so far.  I've often participated in threads here encouraging others to do the same, cuz there's only one place to get this vital life saving commodity.  I was eligible again last Thursday, so I had time yesterday and went to do my part.

Big sign on the door of the Red Cross "NO GUNS ALLOWED" with the red slash circle around it.  It's not the legally required one, but it's unmistakeable.  I don't patronize businesses who forbid CCW.  I waited a long damned time (over 30 years) to get it in this state, and I'll be damned if I will donate my essence to a place that doesn't want my gun inside.

I'm A- so they REALLY like my extra-special rare blood.  They call me incessantly when I'm due to give, so now I can't wait to tell them to take me off their list--and why.  Idiots.

Update on page four--here.
View Quote

Honest question here: are you patronizing a business, or are you, in essence, being charitable?

If you're being charitable, you should continue to be charitable. Donating blood isn't about you or the red cross or CCW or gun rights, its about the people who need blood.

YMMV, etc. etc. Also, concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry
View Quote

Why? The sooner you realize there's zero reason to be afraid of something so irrational the sooner you  will get over it. It's not really painful. People aren't dying from it. Doesn't really make sense unless you're a child who doesn't understand, no offense intended.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bumping to report no contact from them, and oddly enough no further solicitation calls, so something is going on.  

Also, I drove through their parking lot last week and the sign is still there.  I guess they don't need my blood as badly as they claim.  
View Quote

That's very disappointing. I'd be willing to bet that the person(s) who put up the sign never heard the complaint, thanks to the bureaucratic telephone game.

My disgruntlement at ARC is further deepened by this and recent allocation issues, but I'm too low on any hospital food chain to do much besides gripe.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I were you, I would ignore their fucking stupidity.  People need blood and you are doing your part to save lives.  Don't let the majority suffer for the stupidity of some ass clowns.  
View Quote

So long as the majority are NOT suffering they will never do anything to replace the ass clowns at the top.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bumping this to say I finally heard from the American Red Cross Blood Services Division.  This must be some kind of record for them NOT calling, as they usually pester me twice a day until I get in to donate.  

I've been checking the caller ID and this is the first time, but luckily I was here and took the call.  I listened to the nice young lady's spiel, then said, I'm sorry, but I cannot.  Looooooong pause.

I told her I attempted to donate, but was stopped at the door by a sign that said, "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED."  I explained about CCW, what it is, what it means, who has a CCW license, the background checks, fingerprints, training, CONCEALED means CONCEALED, etc.  I told her if my blood is sufficient to donate, but my life is not worthy of protection, then I will not donate.

When I finished she was shockingly pleasant, said she understood completely, and DIDN'T BLAME ME AT ALL.  Color me surprised.  

I said I'm glad you agree, but obviously telling you all this accomplishes nothing, so what would you suggest?  A letter to the local office?  

She said that would be fine, but they are concerned and she would like to pass this on to her supervisor, who will then pass it on to the local office manager who will call me and "get this resolved."  I'll report back what "resolved" means in this case.  Again, I was pleasantly surprised by her warm and understanding response.

Oh, I was also surprised to learn I have donated a total of 40 units--exactly five gallons.  That is always good for warm treatment.  

*At least by RC personnel--no accounting for good manners by internet denizens.  
View Quote

Good on you, man.  Polite, direct and well spoken can make all of the difference in convincing someone to change their ways.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update; hers is not the kind of response I would have expected from someone doing drone calls. I hope your situation becomes a positive motivator for change at the local office.
View Quote

Flat refusal from someone who has donated a jerry jug of blood over the years is a big thing.  

BTW, we did a ECON evaluation of the IRC in school.  We came up with a value in products sold by them from each unit they get.  Way back in my college days they grossed over $600 from a pint of red stuff.  The more blood they get the more blankets they can sell at disasters and the more real estate they can buy.

Then they can do the big important stuff.  Like "educational" conferences...........in Fiji.  On the beach.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#16]
PCness doesn't fix anything.

I think it's actually detrimental to any cause that sides with it.

YMMV

good on you BK for standing by your principals
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got a call from the RC a few minutes ago, but it was just the standard solicitation to donate.  I told her the same thing I did last time and she told me, almost word for word, the same thing the other young lady did--she will pass this on to her supervisor and he will contact the local office and get this resolved.  Back to square one, but still alive.
View Quote

Kudos for sticking to your principles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I just checked, I'm AB+
somewhat rare as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well, the little sweetie DID call me back, but not until Sat. morning.  She is such a nice young lady, very enthusiastic and VERY pro-gun.  It turns out she was in a Walgreens a while back when a robber came in and a CCW holder shot the bad guy DRT in front of her.  She is enthusiastic and strongly on my side.  She also told me the Red Cross officially does NOT have a policy to not allow firearms on their premises.  

She said it may take as long as 28 days, but this should be handled and the sign removed within that time period.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  I mentioned Dr. Azygos referenced it being a big deal to have a five gallon donor opting out and she said it's a HUGE deal and has really rattled some cages in her office, so hopefully this is going to work out for everyone's benefit.  I'm eager to get back to donating.  

One last thing that really endeared her to me--she explained to them this is a matter of principle for me and told them she knew I was NOT going to back down.  Cool lady!  
View Quote
Just think how much better this country would be if there were more of her. It just sucks that a lot of the times it takes a violent crime for people to understand the importance of the 2nd amendment and ccw. Glad it's working out for you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Today I received an e-mail from them.  Here it is:

My reply:

Particularly galling is the patronizing nonsense about being willing to "recognize" my Second Amendment rights--while denying them due to obviously made-up BS.  Oh well--FTRC.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting the American Red Cross to share your concerns. The American Red Cross does recognize your constitutionally-protected right to bear arms. However, as a private organization, the Red Cross has a right to make decisions about firearms being allowed in our facilities. Based on previous safety concerns voiced by some of our donors, we do ask that anyone who visits our blood drives does not bring a firearm.

We are very appreciative of your efforts to donate life-saving blood for patients in need.  

Sincerely,

American Red Cross Public Inquiry

My reply:

I hope you will reconsider this, as "concealed means concealed."  Please keep in mind ALL concealed carry license holders ("CCW") have been through two background checks, a prior FOID ("Firearm Owners Identification") background check, and then have had their application sent to both local law enforcement agencies in case they have information which would indicate the CCW license applicant would be unsuited for approval.  We have also had sixteen hours of training, the most of any state with a CCW law.  Bottom line is all CCW license holders are the most law-abiding citizens to be found.  

Please keep in mind the CCW law requires the firearm to remain concealed at all times, which means no one in the premises would be aware of its existence.   As I respect private property rights I will forego entering your building, as I obey all laws and also respect your desire to post your facility with "no firearms allowed" signs.  You do not have the legally-required sign, which means your homemade sign has no legal meaning, but I will not enter out of simple respect.  We can only hope any homicidal maniac which targets your building or occupants has the same consideration.

One last thing--you are losing a five gallon donor over this, and one who wishes to continue donating, but will not do so as I am unwilling to patronize any business which considers my firearm to be unwelcome.  Again, I hope you will reconsider and I can continue my regular donations.

Sincerely,

Michael <Last Name Redacted>

Particularly galling is the patronizing nonsense about being willing to "recognize" my Second Amendment rights--while denying them due to obviously made-up BS.  Oh well--FTRC.  

Fuck em. Their the ones losing out. you tried.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

According to the wife her best friend who had cancer treatment could only tolerate my donated blood.  It felt good but I was curious what the story was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to start donating blood.  I'm 32 and have never donated.  I don't even know my blood-type.

WUT
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My reply:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting the American Red Cross to share your concerns. The American Red Cross does recognize your constitutionally-protected right to bear arms. However, as a private organization, the Red Cross has a right to make decisions about firearms being allowed in our facilities. Based on previous safety concerns voiced by some of our donors, we do ask that anyone who visits our blood drives does not bring a firearm.

We are very appreciative of your efforts to donate life-saving blood for patients in need.  

Sincerely,

American Red Cross Public Inquiry

My reply:

I hope you will reconsider this, as "concealed means concealed."  Please keep in mind ALL concealed carry license holders ("CCW") have been through two background checks, a prior FOID ("Firearm Owners Identification") background check, and then have had their application sent to both local law enforcement agencies in case they have information which would indicate the CCW license applicant would be unsuited for approval.  We have also had sixteen hours of training, the most of any state with a CCW law.  Bottom line is all CCW license holders are the most law-abiding citizens to be found.  

Please keep in mind the CCW law requires the firearm to remain concealed at all times, which means no one in the premises would be aware of its existence.   As I respect private property rights I will forego entering your building, as I obey all laws and also respect your desire to post your facility with "no firearms allowed" signs.  You do not have the legally-required sign, which means your homemade sign has no legal meaning, but I will not enter out of simple respect.  We can only hope any homicidal maniac which targets your building or occupants has the same consideration.

One last thing--you are losing a five gallon donor over this, and one who wishes to continue donating, but will not do so as I am unwilling to patronize any business which considers my firearm to be unwelcome.  Again, I hope you will reconsider and I can continue my regular donations.

Sincerely,

Michael <Last Name Redacted>

This isn't from the same girl that you just talked to was it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for standing up to be recognized.  

I have different reasons to despise the RC that I won't get into.

They will never get a dime or a drop from me.  

Question.

Is this a reaction to this moms against guns BS where they are flexing their clout lately?

If so ...

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems like a lot of drama to me for a marketable product.....If your blood is so special just sell it and buy ammo.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
They will call you constantly, asking you to continue giving.  You can tell them why you stopped at each call.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Reminds me of the time where the Susan G. Komen Foundation turned down all those donations from an adult website. Must not need money or blood too bad, huh?

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#31]
... hold firm!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#33]
because of your thread i payed more attention and noticed the 'no firearm' sticker on the door of the second red cross blood donation site in tucson.

anyway, i gave the girl a short explanation, my donor card, and left.

i am pretty sure their response will be meh.

------------------------------------------------

i started donating 'apherisis' with the red cross in buffalo feb of 92, whole blood for years before that.

i will look to donate direct to a hospital if they want it. (a long time ago i heard that they may take it)

until then i save 3+ hours every two weeks.
(you can donate apherisis 24 times a year (max))

i hope they meet their quota for the sick folks, but i will not participate any longer.

unfortunate.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I informed my local chapter yesterday that I'd no longer be donating.  They don't have a sign,  but they call every single day,  sometimes more than once.  I've told them to stop numerous times but they keep it up.  Yesterday,  they called me a liar and said they haven't called in 3 weeks. Harassment out of desperation is one thing,  insulting me is another.  Fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No--she said I would be contacted by someone else within the next 28 days.  She sent the original e-mail to them though, which was a bit tacky.  I'll go get it and add it to this post.  It sounded somewhat as though I had written it, and it had my complete contact info as the "signature" on the e-mail.  BRB.

Edit:  

I never said a word about "doesn’t feel safe going any where without his gun"--she pulled that out of her butt.  She was wonderful, but that sentence made me look like this:  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't from the same girl that you just talked to was it?

No--she said I would be contacted by someone else within the next 28 days.  She sent the original e-mail to them though, which was a bit tacky.  I'll go get it and add it to this post.  It sounded somewhat as though I had written it, and it had my complete contact info as the "signature" on the e-mail.  BRB.

Edit:  

<My full contact info redacted>

Subject: Red Cross reply to your question

The donor normally goes to the <town redacted> Blood Donation center in IL, but they have a  " no fire arms" sign on the door and he doesn’t feel safe going any where without his gun. He says by law he still could go in and donate with the fire arm because the sign is not the standard and legal sign that is normally used but he doesn't want to go against company policies. Donor would like a follow up call.

I never said a word about "doesn’t feel safe going any where without his gun"--she pulled that out of her butt.  She was wonderful, but that sentence made me look like this:  

Ya I would be a little pissed about that letter. She makes you seem like some wackjob.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top