User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 53
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Ebola just isn't the bogyman they make it out to be.  Stay away from bodily fluids, and you'll be fine.  It can't get through your skin and is unstable outside the human body.  If it wasn't for their funeral custom, that the family and friends wash and prepare the body of their dearly departed, there wouldn't be 337 dead.  

I'm not saying they have to completely give up the practice, just don't do it with people who've died from hemorrhagic fever.  If Batu was bleeding from his nose, ears, eyes, and mouth, and his skin was sloughing off...don't touch him.   Problem solved.  

Ebola doesn't appear to spread very easy.  I doubt an outbreak in a western country would go far.  

Do you have any idea how much bodily fluid is . . . . . exchanged, or uh, . . issued. . . . on a typical NYC weekend?

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Baby can you dig your man?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Captain, Captain Trips that is...

M-O-O-N that spells flesh-eating bacteria
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said it yourself, Harold, we're damned.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly.

It's not particularly dangerous in a modern western country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebola just isn't the bogyman they make it out to be.  Stay away from bodily fluids, and you'll be fine.  It can't get through your skin and is unstable outside the human body.  If it wasn't for their funeral custom, that the family and friends wash and prepare the body of their dearly departed, there wouldn't be 337 dead.  

I'm not saying they have to completely give up the practice, just don't do it with people who've died from hemorrhagic fever.  If Batu was bleeding from his nose, ears, eyes, and mouth, and his skin was sloughing off...don't touch him.   Problem solved.  

Ebola doesn't appear to spread very easy.  I doubt an outbreak in a western country would go far.  

Exactly.

Considering that this is an unprecidented outbreak and it takes things to be extremely obvious for the WHO to declare anything and then they always understate things and there are 60 unprecidented hot spots and the WHO always releases old data because they take so long to analyse everything, I would think it would be fair to say that there has more than likely been a mutation that is more adapted to more easily spread in people.

Just a long winded observation.

ETA. nevermind, it is MSF, not Who. See how slow WHO is to react to anything?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They tore that lab down several years back - literally sterilizing *EVERYTHING* as they tore it down, treating
it as a bio-hazard site, and from what I was told, doubled-down and sent the debris to an incinerator, just to
be sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys ever heard of the Reston strain? It was airborne and managed to infect some humans, but they showed no clinical signs of infection because it was not harmful to humans.

It was called Reston because it happened in Virginia.

So I believe it's only a matter of time before a filovirus with a significant mortality rate becomes airborne...

They tore that lab down several years back - literally sterilizing *EVERYTHING* as they tore it down, treating
it as a bio-hazard site, and from what I was told, doubled-down and sent the debris to an incinerator, just to
be sure.

they even incinerated the dirt from the site.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that this is the first time Ebola has reached a city, a travel hub.  In the past this virus has been confined to small villages or the bush. We shall see what happens next.

As the city is Guinea's international travel hub, an outbreak in the capital could pose the biggest threat of an epidemic.
View Quote

First new Ebola cases have been recorded in Guinea's capital Conakry since more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week, according to the World Health Organization.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

According to the book, some humans did in fact test positive for antibodies to the ebola virus, so they'd apparently been infected.  Just that that particular strain wasn't particularly harmful to humans.

It's probably just a matter of time before there's a strain, like Reston, that is airborne transmissible and that is deadly to humans.

There is, or used to be, a member of this website who was on the Reston cleanup/decontamination detail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys ever heard of the Reston strain? It was airborne and managed to infect some humans, but they showed no clinical signs of infection because it was not harmful to humans.

So I believe it's only a matter of time before a filovirus with a significant mortality rate becomes airborne...

Absolutely false. It never infected any humans.

According to the book, some humans did in fact test positive for antibodies to the ebola virus, so they'd apparently been infected.  Just that that particular strain wasn't particularly harmful to humans.

It's probably just a matter of time before there's a strain, like Reston, that is airborne transmissible and that is deadly to humans.

There is, or used to be, a member of this website who was on the Reston cleanup/decontamination detail.

I went to a seminar a few years ago on Biologic Containment and this was brought up. people tested positive for exposure with were asymptomatic.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
my wife is an Immunology Technologist and works on mostly with infectious disease. I have worked that same job in my career. these bugs fascinate us, only because of their capabilities.

for years I argued that the HIV could be aerosolized and was scoffed at.by medical professionals. later in the veterinary lab, I was involved in a some epidemiology work from an EIA outbreak in Ireland and in the meetings with the Federal and State officials it was documented that many of the horses in the birthing barn had tested positive after an aerosolized, short duration exposure- something that for 20 years was assured could not be done, but I highly suspected.

HIV is extremely close to EIA ( they will cross react on testing in some cases). testing for HIV is a P24, EIA is P26. I started to write a paper to be published, but backed out due to numerous issues.

sooner or later aerosolized transmission will occur in these pathogens.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe that this is the first time Ebola has reached a city, a travel hub.  In the past this virus has been confined to small villages or the bush. We shall see what happens next.

link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As the city is Guinea's international travel hub, an outbreak in the capital could pose the biggest threat of an epidemic.

First new Ebola cases have been recorded in Guinea's capital Conakry since more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week, according to the World Health Organization.

link

this is an easy fix, quarantine travel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

The reason HIV was able to spread all over the world is because infected persons didn't know they were infected until months or even years afterwards, allowing them to travel all over the world and infect dozens, if not hundreds, of other persons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We go through this every time we have an Ebola thread.

"Six of the 178 people who had contact with the infected monkeys at the Reston Quarantine Unit seroconverted. All six of the individuals worked with the primates. None of the six who seroconverted developed a filovirus-related illness. Of them, four (all of whom were animal handlers at one quarantine facility) had serologic evidence of recent infection with Ebola-Reston. It is likely that one of the four infected himself when he cut his finger while performing a necropsy on an infected monkey. The mode of transmission for the other three handlers is not known. The remaining two people were seropositive at low titer and had evidence of past infection. One of these two people is a worker at a facility that temporarily houses nonhuman primates before delivery to U.S. quarantine facilities and had had regular contact with quarantined nonhuman primates for three years. The second person was an employee at Hazleton's Texas Primate Center."

To all those saying that Ebola doesn't spread easily, that's true. Even then, it spreads easier than HIV. And look how far HIV has gone.
HIV is a terrible comparison because of the difference in timelines.  If HIV killed you in a month and you showed obvious signs of having it, HIV would be a much different problem.

This.

The reason HIV was able to spread all over the world is because infected persons didn't know they were infected until months or even years afterwards, allowing them to travel all over the world and infect dozens, if not hundreds, of other persons.

It's true. Ebola doesn't really stand a chance at creating a good epidemic let alone pandemic because it just kills too plain fast. It burns itself out.

Still, never underestimate human ignorance. For example, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a single case of ebola in Puerto Rico turned into 500 quite easily. But those numbers are still trifles.
Yet, 500 totally preventable deaths.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
The Walking Man is a dangerous dude

Quoted:
Randall Flagg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I went to a seminar a few years ago on Biologic Containment and this was brought up. people tested positive for exposure with were asymptomatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived 1.2 miles from the Hazelton facility when this occurred.  The Ebola Reston strain did infect humans; however, it was nothing short of a miracle the this strain had little effect on humans. It sure killed simians fast. To say we were extraordinarily lucky is to be guilty of a massive understatement.

I also lived in the part of Africa where the current epidemic is happening. The reason it isn't spreading is this area would need to work really hard to rise to the level of "third world."  The infected simply were not close enough to an international travel node to spread the disease widely before the onset of frank symptoms.   Now that the disease is near the major cities, that could change.

Another way it could change is if a really dedicated group of jihadists went there to be deliberately infected with the objective of getting them into Europe or the Americas before the onset of symptoms. Doing that would not be hard, it just takes a few Toyota Hi-Lux pickups and an propeller airplane or two.

If we have any sense, the US and EU will declare a quarantine on this part of Africa.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Paging Captain Tripps..........
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Infectious thread.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I lived 1.2 miles from the Hazelton facility when this occurred.  The Ebola Reston strain did infect humans; however, it was nothing short of a miracle the this strain had little effect on humans. It sure killed simians fast. To say we were extraordinarily lucky is to be guilty of a massive understatement.
I also lived in the part of Africa where the current epidemic is happening. The reason it isn't spreading is this area would need to work really hard to rise to the level of "third world."  The infected simply were not close enough to an international travel node to spread the disease widely before the onset of frank symptoms.   Now that the disease is near the major cities, that could change.
Another way it could change is if a really dedicated group of jihadists went there to be deliberately infected with the objective of getting them into Europe or the Americas before the onset of symptoms. Doing that would not be hard, it just takes a few Toyota Hi-Lux pickups and an propeller airplane or two.
If we have any sense, the US and EU will declare a quarantine on this part of Africa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only do I think morbidity would be much, much lower in North America or Europe, I think mortality would as well.  

I don't think Ebola is anything close to the level of threat represented by the bugs of science fiction. So, not only is Ebola NOT like King's Captain Trips, it's not even as much of a threat as the Spanish flu.

I just don't think it's a huge threat to first world countries.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's true. Ebola doesn't really stand a chance at creating a good epidemic let alone pandemic because it just kills too plain fast. It burns itself out.

Still, never underestimate human ignorance. For example, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a single case of ebola in Puerto Rico turned into 500 quite easily. But those numbers are still trifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Six of the 178 people who had contact with the infected monkeys at the Reston Quarantine Unit seroconverted. All six of the individuals worked with the primates. None of the six who seroconverted developed a filovirus-related illness. Of them, four (all of whom were animal handlers at one quarantine facility) had serologic evidence of recent infection with Ebola-Reston. It is likely that one of the four infected himself when he cut his finger while performing a necropsy on an infected monkey. The mode of transmission for the other three handlers is not known. The remaining two people were seropositive at low titer and had evidence of past infection. One of these two people is a worker at a facility that temporarily houses nonhuman primates before delivery to U.S. quarantine facilities and had had regular contact with quarantined nonhuman primates for three years. The second person was an employee at Hazleton's Texas Primate Center."

To all those saying that Ebola doesn't spread easily, that's true. Even then, it spreads easier than HIV. And look how far HIV has gone.
HIV is a terrible comparison because of the difference in timelines.  If HIV killed you in a month and you showed obvious signs of having it, HIV would be a much different problem.

This.

In the past the incubation period has been 3 days.

I think you missed the part that this new strain has a 21 day incubation period and during that 21 days people are contagious.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly let's say hypothetically New York gets the unlucky plane.  Infected guy walks down through town and he has some jungle killing Ebola in every cough.  Not to mention the 100+ on the plane with him.  How fast would it spread in the States?  What PPE is required to improve your chances?

Ebola isn't airborne. It can only survive in bodily fluids.

For now . . . . .

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you missed the part that this new strain has a 21 day incubation period and during that 21 days people are contagious.
View Quote

I did miss that. Fascinating! 21 days.

That increases the odds a bit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

M-O-O-N spells ebola
beequewl beat me to it

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Meh, we need to thin the herd.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a good reason to have enough food and water to isolate yourself for several weeks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuck
How long before folks leaving Afrika get stuck in a 30 day quarantine ?

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuck

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuck

Nobody has the balls to do that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

E. Zaire already had a 2-21 day incubation period (contagious during), although it tended very heavily towards short incubation.

Just be glad this isn't a suped up Zaire strain.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

It needs more cowbell!

I got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

be sure.

Yeah, forgot about that part...

They razed their other campus on Rt. 7, just outside Tysons back in JAN/FEB time-frame of this year, and though
it's uber-prime real estate, location-wise, nobody's touched it.

Local rumor control has it that the ground may be contaminated (though what they believe it's contaminated with,
I haven't heard), so the place has turned into a dandelion and brush-grass farm now....
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Places not to go for vacation
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Unless it mutates, which Reston did, although (thankfully) not in a lethal form.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless this current problem is caused not by easier transmission, but in fact a longer delay between infection and symptoms. That is the scarier scenario. "Catch it, turn to goo, die quickly" is why it doesn't spread far, it just burns out. Lingering without symptoms allows the carrier to have more access to more people and to travel farther.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That scares the fuck outta me. That is the kind of thing where the first wave of symptomatic people to show up in a NYC hospital completely overwhelms the system before anyone realizes how far in the hole they are.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ebola kills so fast it is doubtful it would turn into a mass epidemic. That and it is not airborne, yet.
View Quote

If it ever becomes airborne, i see that being very very bad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola kills so fast it is doubtful it would turn into a mass epidemic. That and it is not airborne, yet.

it must be airborne.

the virus is in all bodily fluids, including sweat.

What they are not saying is that mucous from sneezes and coughs are also bodily fluids.

If someone coughs, mucous is expelled in tiny droplets into the air and on stuff, this is how flu spreads.

3 questions remain.  How often does someone with ebola cough, how much mucous is expelled and how long does the virus remain viable on objects at room temps and humidities  when in tiny mucous droplets. I would expect the seasons to have an impact on the latter, just like flu. Colder temps and less UV and it should remain viable longer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:47:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

it must be airborne.

What they are not saying is that mucous from sneezes and coughs are also bodily fluids.

If someone coughs, mucous is expelled in tiny droplets into the air and on stuff, this is how flu spreads.

3 questions remain.  How often does someone with ebola cough, how much mucous is expelled and how long does the virus remain viable on objects at room temps and humidities  when in tiny mucous droplets. I would expect the seasons to have an impact on the latter, just like flu. Colder temps and less UV and it should remain viable longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it must be airborne.

Aerosolization is not airborne in the same way certain strains of smallpox are airborne...
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Meh, we need to thin the herd.
View Quote

People who say such cavalier things about human life are usually ignorant children or wretched wastes of oxygen.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#36]
6/24 update: WHO Reports 32 New Cases In West Africa

The count of Ebola virus disease (EVD) cases in West Africa has increased by 32, and 15 new deaths have been recorded, but the number of deaths attributed to confirmed cases has been revised downward, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) update today.

The WHO put the totals for Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia at 599 cases and 338 deaths, as compared with 567 cases and 359 deaths reported in the previous update on Jun 22. The case totals include confirmed, probable, and suspected cases.

22 new cases in Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone now has a cumulative total of 158 cases, or 22 more than reported 2 days ago, and 4 new deaths were reported from Jun 18 to 20, the WHO said. The deaths included three in Kailahun and one in Kenema.

But the WHO listed the country's cumulative deaths in confirmed cases at 34, versus 58 deaths reported in the previous update. The implication is that a number of deaths were found to have had other causes, but the statement doesn't explain further.

Liberia has 10 new cases, 8 new deaths

In Liberia, 10 new Ebola cases and 8 new deaths were reported from Jun 19 to 22, the WHO said. That raised the cumulative totals to 51 cases and 34 deaths. The latest cases and deaths were identified in Lofa (8 and 6) and Montserrado (2 and 2).

Guinea, the birthplace of the outbreak, identified no new Ebola cases from Jun 18 to 20, but three deaths were reported, two in Gueckedou and one in Telimele, the WHO said. The country’s cumulative count is 390 cases with 270 deaths.

The WHO said investigators are following up with 37 contacts of patients in Sierra Leone, 232 in Liberia, and 1,147 in Guinea.
View Quote

(story continues here.)
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some guy is in a lab right now trying to combine ebola and bird flu.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some guy is in a lab right now trying to combine ebola and bird flu.

Almost certainly, yes. Not to mention that the virus could mutate naturally.

I hear so many people say that "Ebola kills so quickly, that it would never be a threat". Bullshit. It already has an incubation period from 2 days to 3 weeks, and you can infect a lot of people in 3 weeks, if it went airborne. But people don't like to admit that despite all of our modern technology, a pandemic could still devastate the human race.

Ever notice how when something on this planet gets overpopulated, some disease or parasite manages to get their numbers back under control? With over 7 billion of us, we might be next...
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

(story continues here.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The count of Ebola virus disease (EVD) cases in West Africa has increased by 32, and 15 new deaths have been recorded, but the number of deaths attributed to confirmed cases has been revised downward, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) update today.
The WHO put the totals for Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia at 599 cases and 338 deaths, as compared with 567 cases and 359 deaths reported in the previous update on Jun 22. The case totals include confirmed, probable, and suspected cases.
Sierra Leone now has a cumulative total of 158 cases, or 22 more than reported 2 days ago, and 4 new deaths were reported from Jun 18 to 20, the WHO said. The deaths included three in Kailahun and one in Kenema.
But the WHO listed the country's cumulative deaths in confirmed cases at 34, versus 58 deaths reported in the previous update. The implication is that a number of deaths were found to have had other causes, but the statement doesn't explain further.
In Liberia, 10 new Ebola cases and 8 new deaths were reported from Jun 19 to 22, the WHO said. That raised the cumulative totals to 51 cases and 34 deaths. The latest cases and deaths were identified in Lofa (8 and 6) and Montserrado (2 and 2).
Guinea, the birthplace of the outbreak, identified no new Ebola cases from Jun 18 to 20, but three deaths were reported, two in Gueckedou and one in Telimele, the WHO said. The country’s cumulative count is 390 cases with 270 deaths.
The WHO said investigators are following up with 37 contacts of patients in Sierra Leone, 232 in Liberia, and 1,147 in Guinea.

(story continues here.)

People dying is never a good thing.  But consider the low numbers of morbidity and mortality as a good sign.  Africa is one of the best places for an infectious disease to take root and spread, particularly west Africa.   Culture, poverty, illiteracy,  poor sanitation, and health care all make it a great incubator for disease.  

The number of cases are in the 1's, 10's and 100's.  ...and this is Africa.  This outbreak, while terrible for those individuals it does infect, just doesn't have the characteristics of a virus that could kill thousands, much less tens or hundreds of thousands of people.

It's not airborne, it's not even very good at aerosol transmission.  Americans shouldn't be that concerned about this outbreak, unless they intend to travel to the effected region.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#39]
If friendship is magic, and magic cures diseases, we should send all the bronies to African ebola hotspots.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

most of us don't want to fuck/buttfuck/share needles with someone bleeding from their various orifices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most of us don't want to fuck/buttfuck/share needles with someone bleeding from their various orifices.

Im never coming to one of you're partys.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How can we panic when people like you keep interfering with facts and common sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can we panic when people like you keep interfering with facts and common sense?

Considering how many people do not bother washing their hands after visiting the head, including medical "professionals", I think you are wrong. Add to this the panic and ignorance of the general population and we have an epidemic of very large proportions. Don't forget, the incubation phase is two to three weeks, and is asymptomatic or with easily misdaignosed symptoms.  By the time precaution were taken and effective it would have spread far and wide. I also doubt that the government, any government as a matter of fact, has the resources or man power to handle such an event.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Stop all flights from Africa and let it do its thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
  Not only do I think morbidity would be much, much lower in North America or Europe, I think mortality would as well.  

I don't think Ebola is anything close to the level of threat represented by the bugs of science fiction. So, not only is Ebola NOT like King's Captain Trips, it's not even as much of a threat as the Spanish flu.

I just don't think it's a huge threat to first world countries.  

View Quote

I do not have that opinion. an outbreak with a bug like that in a modern country would kill thousands due to our modern travel and extremely fast paced medical care. they would not be taken to a Podunk shelter, they would end up at a 500-1000 bed medical facility and infect all the staff and cross infect the patients in a matter of hours.

not only have I studied this, I wrote some of the manuals that hospitals use for Chemical and Biological Triage Management. I've seen portable incinerators that will be used if necessary to sterilize the area of infected dead. the only reason these hotspots aren't worse is the seemingly low populations of outbreak and the small scale shelter hospitals

ask Texas A&M about their infectious rates from their Simian Pathogens and their Biological Warfare Laboratory. I have personally worked on patients with some of the worst diseases known at the facilities I have been on staff at and worked a little girl with Plague which opened my eyes to the level of precautions needed to contain pathogens of this nature.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

People dying is never a good thing.  But consider the low numbers of morbidity and mortality as a good sign.  Africa is one of the best places for an infectious disease to take root and spread, particularly west Africa.   Culture, poverty, illiteracy,  poor sanitation, and health care all make it a great incubator for disease.  

The number of cases are in the 1's, 10's and 100's.  ...and this is Africa.  This outbreak, while terrible for those individuals it does infect, just doesn't have the characteristics of a virus that could kill thousands, much less tens or hundreds of thousands of people.

It's not airborne, it's not even very good at aerosol transmission.  Americans shouldn't be that concerned about this outbreak, unless they intend to travel to the effected region.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(story continues here.)

spur of the minute world wide travel to modern countries will be the method of transport. it will come to us, not vice versa. our rates of Immigration and intercontinental travel are unrivaled in any period of modern time. Tulsa for example has hundreds of people who are from Africa and travel to their homeland every year. my good friend from ZYM just got back. another friend from Nigeria will be leaving next month.

like the Norway Rat. sooner or later these bugs will travel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would not be very hard......I just wonder how many people will die before they have this area quarantined.

If it does jump the gap I will be honest I just hope the leftist area of the nation are hit badly....You want to have the 3rd world move to the 1st? Have fun with the  diseases, poverty, crime, hopeless, despair, corruption, and class/race warfare...
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still a scary thought.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That would not be very hard......I just wonder how many people will die before they have this area quarantined.

If it does jump the gap I will be honest I just hope the leftist area of the nation are hit badly....You want to have the 3rd world move to the 1st? Have fun with the  diseases, poverty, crime, hopeless, despair, corruption, and class/race warfare...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are other bugs that are better then Ebola.  I think it's a horrible virus, and perhaps it will one day rear it's head in the U.S., but to fear that it turns into a full blown epidemic in a western country is absurd.  Someone has watched too many science fiction movies.  

Ebola is terrible, but there is not an epidemic threat to the United State, or modern western nations.  It's not even an epidemic in Africa.  60 hot spots across three countries and the death toll is only in the hundreds.

Read up on the Spanish flu, that killed millions, including several hundred thousand Americans.   Hell 3,000 - 49,000 Americans die of seasonal flu each year.  This Ebola outbreak is nothing.  Ebola just isn't very good at moving through a population.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There are other bugs that are better then Ebola.  I think it's a horrible virus, and perhaps it will one day rear it's head in the U.S., but to fear that it turns into a full blown epidemic in a western country is absurd.  Someone has watched too many science fiction movies.  

Ebola is terrible, but there is not an epidemic threat to the United State, or modern western nations.  It's not even an epidemic in Africa.  60 hot spots across three countries and the death toll is only in the hundreds.

Read up on the Spanish flu, that killed millions, including several hundred thousand Americans.   Hell 3,000 - 49,000 Americans die of seasonal flu each year.  This Ebola outbreak is nothing.  Ebola just isn't very good at moving through a population.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only takes one infected person a plane....
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've no doubt it's possible for someone infected with Ebola to enter the United States.  I have no doubt that should that happen they might infect other people.  What I do doubt is that Ebola could ever turn into a full blown epidemic in the United States, or any other wealthy industrialized nation.  Its not even an epidemic in Africa.

For a variety of reason Ebola just isn't equipped to spread through a population like some other viruses.    
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cue Don't Fear the Reaper.
View Quote

Needs more cowbell
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top