Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 53
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We are nowhere near mass hysteria . . . yet.  I do think we could get there if this spreads to 3 or 4 states.  The masses are still going to work as usual and they're not emptying shelves at the grocery store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This ebola episode has given us a fascinating view into how a large-scale mass hysteria episode can sweep through a whole fucking country.

We are nowhere near mass hysteria . . . yet.  I do think we could get there if this spreads to 3 or 4 states.  The masses are still going to work as usual and they're not emptying shelves at the grocery store.

I don't see anyone panicking but there is talk and definite concern.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The problem is we don't know how many are having sub-clinical infections ie. they get infected but show no symptoms, or those that are showing very little symptoms.  The only way to determine that is to do antibody studies after the fact.  Once the epidemic is over, test a sample of 1,000 people who were in the hot zone but who never developed symptoms, and see what percentage have antibodies against Ebola.  There are many good studies out there with similarly lethal viruses such as rabies showing people who have antibodies to the rabies virus but have never been vaccinated.  It's mostly people that have close contact with wild animals such as trappers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slightly off topic:

What is the percentage of the population is NOT contracting the disease?
As poor as sanitation is in the African effected areas, how many are surviving without becoming infected?

99.9%

4,249 reported cases in Liberia, with a total population of 4,294,000

CDC went on to assume a 2.5x under reporting factor in some of their projections.  Using this more conservative value, 99.75% is uninfected.

The problem is we don't know how many are having sub-clinical infections ie. they get infected but show no symptoms, or those that are showing very little symptoms.  The only way to determine that is to do antibody studies after the fact.  Once the epidemic is over, test a sample of 1,000 people who were in the hot zone but who never developed symptoms, and see what percentage have antibodies against Ebola.  There are many good studies out there with similarly lethal viruses such as rabies showing people who have antibodies to the rabies virus but have never been vaccinated.  It's mostly people that have close contact with wild animals such as trappers.

there are indeed studies that have been done on this.  antibody prevalence varies from 5-35% in various natives of the Congo, from one study i read that comes to memory.

here's a lay article from the NYT:
Many in West Africa May Be Immune to Ebola Virus

this will likely mean the R0 here in the USA will be higher than we have historically seen it in Africa.

ETA:  quote from article:
His teams took 4,349 blood samples in 220 randomly selected villages. They found that 15 percent of Gabon’s population had antibodies. But it varied widely: near the coast, only 3 percent did; in some jungle villages near the Congo border, up to 34 percent did.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
there are indeed studies that have been done on this.  antibody prevalence varies from 5-35% in various natives of the Congo, from one study i read that comes to memory.

this will likely mean the R0 here in the USA will be higher than we have historically seen it in Africa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slightly off topic:

What is the percentage of the population is NOT contracting the disease?

As poor as sanitation is in the African effected areas, how many are surviving without becoming infected?

99.9%

4,249 reported cases in Liberia, with a total population of 4,294,000

CDC went on to assume a 2.5x under reporting factor in some of their projections.  Using this more conservative value, 99.75% is uninfected.

His teams took 4,349 blood samples in 220 randomly selected villages. They found that 15 percent of Gabon’s population had antibodies. But it varied widely: near the coast, only 3 percent did; in some jungle villages near the Congo border, up to 34 percent did.

The fact some in Africa have antibodies to Ebola does not mean they had sub-clinical infections; it just means they got the virus and recovered.  Depending on the strain and the outbreak, up to 50% of patients recover from Ebola, which means you could have a small outbreak and expect to see some survivors.

People get sick and die in Africa all the time.  There are several deadly endemic diseases which mimic Ebola's symptoms, so an outbreak of Ebola in some remote village somewhere might get blamed on Typhoid or malaria unless there is a doctor who figured out something was different.

It's reasonable to assume there have been small, limited outbreaks of Ebola in Africa for thousands of years and no one paid attention until some European doctors noticed large numbers of people dying at the same time and applied epidemiological principles to discover the cause of the outbreak.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The fact some in Africa have antibodies to Ebola does not mean they had sub-clinical infections; it just means they got the virus and recovered.  Depending on the strain and the outbreak, up to 50% of patients recover from Ebola, which means you could have a small outbreak and expect to see some survivors.

People get sick and die in Africa all the time.  There are several deadly endemic diseases which mimic Ebola's symptoms, so an outbreak of Ebola in some remote village somewhere might get blamed on Typhoid or malaria unless there is a doctor who figured out something was different.

It's reasonable to assume there have been small, limited outbreaks of Ebola in Africa for thousands of years and no one paid attention until some European doctors noticed large numbers of people dying at the same time and applied epidemiological principles to discover the cause of the outbreak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

i like your point above, as the NYT article doesn't parse out whether those studied were subclinical infections, or recovered full-blown infections.  however, we do know that there exists subclinical infection with Ebola.  the NYT article mentions people in houses with multiple family members who died, yet did not get ill.  it is likely like all viruses; there are going to be some fraction who get only mild or no symptoms.

here's a more specific look at likely subclinical infection population antibody prevalence.  peep some of this & see if you find it interesting:

academic article source for below:

...seven cases of asymptomatic infection were identified during the 1996 Booué outbreak in Gabon [26]. Second, some ELISA-based serosurveys [27] have shown high antibody prevalence rates among populations living in areas where no cases of EHF have ever been reported, suggesting that ZEBOV might also be capable of causing mild illness or even asymptomatic infection in humans. The IgG seroprevalence was 9.3% in villages located in the 1995 outbreak area around Kikwit, DRC, where no EHF cases were reported [28]. Likewise, a seroprevalence of 13.2% was found in the Aka Pygmy population of Central African Republic, where no ZEBOV outbreaks have ever been reported

The source and significance of anti-ZEBOV IgG seropositivity among people who have never had clinical signs of hemorrhagic fever or who live in non epidemic areas are both unclear, but they may have major implications for our understanding of the epidemiology of ZEBOV of primary transmission to humans and outbreaks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just had to throw this at a liberal cousin from Canad that likes Obama and the freaks allowing people from West Africa into the US.
First I pointed out that they are not safe in Canada. Then I posted the 1st and last line of the above.

If that doesn't wake her up. Then she is lost.

Why do Canadians love Obama when he has publicly bashed them in the past?

Fucken dumb shits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this morning's press conference, the World Health Organization announced the updated numbers of "reported" cases/deaths. Dr Bruce Aylward says, as of this morning, 8,914 Ebola cases and 4,447 deaths have been reported to WHO worldwide. It continues to spread unabated and is growing exponentially. The problem is the math... and as you know, the numbers don't lie. Consider this...

Based on the current numbers from the WHO, the current ROI (rate of infection) is 2.02. At this rate, the numbers by the end of the month will be - Oct 31, 2014 - Infected: 15,134 Dead: 10,594 ROI: 2.02

Moving forward, it gets one's attention…

Nov, 2014 - Infected: 30,570 Dead: 21,399 ROI: 2.02

Dec, 2014 - Infected: 61,752 Dead: 43,226 ROI: 2.02

Jan, 2015 - Infected: 124,739 Dead: 87,317 ROI: 2.02

Feb, 2015 - Infected: 251,973 Dead: 176,381 ROI: 2.02

Mar, 2015 - Infected: 508,986 Dead: 356,290 ROI: 2.02

Apr, 2015 - Infected: 1,028,152 Dead: 719,706 ROI: 2.02

May, 2015 - Infected: 2,076,867 Dead: 1,453,807 ROI: 2.02

Jun, 2015 - Infected: 4,195,272 Dead: 2,936,690 ROI: 2.02

Jul, 2015 - Infected: 8,474,449 Dead: 5,932,114 ROI: 2.02

Aug, 2015 - Infected: 17,118,387 Dead: 11,982,871 ROI: 2.02

Sep, 2015 - Infected: 34,579,141 Dead: 24,205,399 ROI: 2.02

Oct, 2015 - Infected: 69,849,865 Dead: 48,894,906 ROI: 2.02   (one year from now)

Nov, 2015 - Infected: 141,096,727 Dead: 98,767,709 ROI: 2.02

Dec, 2015 - Infected: 285,015,389 Dead: 199,510,773 ROI: 2.02

Jan, 2016 - Infected: 575,731,087 Dead: 403,011,761 ROI: 2.02

Feb, 2016 - Infected: 1,162,976,795 Dead: 814,083,757 ROI: 2.02

Mar, 2016 - Infected: 2,349,213,126 Dead: 1,644,449,188 ROI: 2.02

Apr, 2016 - Infected: 4,745,410,514 Dead: 3,321,787,360 ROI: 2.02  (over 3 BILLION dead by Spring of 2016 - HALF the planet)

Just had to throw this at a liberal cousin from Canad that likes Obama and the freaks allowing people from West Africa into the US.
First I pointed out that they are not safe in Canada. Then I posted the 1st and last line of the above.

If that doesn't wake her up. Then she is lost.

Why do Canadians love Obama when he has publicly bashed them in the past?

Fucken dumb shits.

Yes because half the planet is going to be dead in less than 2 years from ebola. Did you know that the walking dead and last ship are not true stories?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It appears the Liberian government is suppressing the death totals.  Not surprising at all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1677493_.html

Article link in case other thread gets locked.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/19/ebola-liberia-death-toll-data-sorious-samura

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My sister is involved in a Christian organization that has members and volunteers in west Africa.  She received the following.   I asked she forward anything else she receives.   I figure this to be as reliable as anything the msm is putting out.

An Ebola Update: 

Friends,

Our Young Life friends in Sierra Leone and Liberia are closing in on four months now of life/death with Ebola. They keep praying, going and hoping, but visibly they see a battle being lost. The numbers of infections and deaths are increasing--the World Health Organization says that in 2 months there will be 10,000 new infections each day if some significant intervention does not happen. The death rate has risen from a low of 52% to over 70% now.

The Liberian government has run out of money to pay health workers who are threatening to strike if their $500/month danger pay is not increased to $700/month. President Johnson of Liberia literally begged the workers’ union to continue working, explaining to them the government has no money. In what has been called by some a surrender, the government of Sierra Leone is now just giving families rubber gloves and some hydration salts and medicine and is telling people to treat Ebola victims at home because they lack space at Ebola treatment centers.

Here are some updates from our Young Life family in Liberia and Sierra Leone:

Our teacher staff in Freetown, Sahr Kamasie, lost his wife Victoria two nights ago. She was 29 years old, fell sick and died a few days later. She has left behind a 2-year-old son John and a 3-month-old baby Matilda with Sahr. Sahr has been waiting alone in his house with her body waiting for Ebola test results on her body to come back. The babies are at their grandmother’s house where they sent them as soon as Victoria was sick. Please pray for Sahr and the Sierra Leone team. The results will come back Thursday. If it was not Ebola (thousands of people are dying of many things other than Ebola every day because the healthcare system
can only handle Ebola cases) they will bury her body with just a few friends. If it is a positive test, Sahr and the children will be under quarantine.

Andrew Quimeh, one of our top volunteer leaders in Kakata, Liberia died of Ebola yesterday. He was on the Leadership Tree of our Area Director Yancy Dixon. A Campaigner kid from the same area – Greature Worr – was released Ebola-free from a treatment center after weeks of treatment, but she lost her father and her sister. Pray for Andrew's family, for Greature and for Yancy and his team.

Jeraline Johnson has two weeks left of her second 21-day quarantine. She is the only one left in the house as both her sister and brother-in-law have died of Ebola and her niece – 2 year-old Blessings – and Blessings’ Aunt were both diagnosed with Ebola and taken to a treatment center 8 days ago. I asked her what she does all day as she sits alone: "I pray and I read my Bible. Psalm 91 I pray constantly. I sing and I praise and thank God." Then she broke down in tears and sobbed with me on the phone for about 5 minutes and said, "Steve I am so so scared." There was good news today as Blessings' aunt was released after 8 days
of treatment from the Ebola center. At the end of the call she composed herself and said, "My hope is in Jesus alone. And He is faithful." We prayed Psalm 91 together.

Our Area Director from Robertsport and DGL graduate, Baccus Roberts, and two other leaders from Monrovia, Abraham and Gbeme, are all currently sick. We are praying that this is not Ebola. Pray for healing for them. 

James Davis, our regional director for Liberia and Sierra Leone, texted today, "Steve, I have to admit, I feel like giving up the fight, but if I do who will help lead kids and leaders. We have no peace, freedom, etc. Our people are dying every hour. Our hope is in Jesus, but we fear we may be the next Ebola victims. I can't bear this – Jesus we need you more." He later texted back to the whole team of Senior African leaders who are here now in Colorado, "I promise I will NOT give up – the Band of Brothers do not give up….I know that we are not in this alone – the Lord is with us. And so are you."

Please continue to lift our friends up and let's not grow weary. Let's be strong for them as they focus not on what is seen but what is unseen.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It appears the Liberian government is suppressing the death totals.  Not surprising at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/19/ebola-liberia-death-toll-data-sorious-samura

View Quote

But they aren't reporting at all anymore.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

An Ebola Update: 
View Quote

Thanks for posting that.  It sounds awful and those willingly there helping others are a true inspiration.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Up until they went dark they had reported around 2,500 deaths.

Which means the real total is probably twice that, if not more.  And between the chaos and government corruption we won't ever know the real number, just that a lot of people died.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My sister is involved in a Christian organization that has members and volunteers in west Africa.  She received the following.   I asked she forward anything else she receives.   I figure this to be as reliable as anything the msm is putting out.

snip

View Quote

Based on what we've seen from Liberia it sounds entirely believable.  The epidemic is out of control and spreading.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i bet the numbers in the affected region may be tripple those reported since day one.

i am not 100% convinced the non reporting is the ominous thing we think it is. the gov is having issues just getting workers to keep working. it stands to reason if those healthcare workers haven't realized by now this is a lot bigger than their paycheck that they are 1/2 assing anything beyond their personal issues. no numbers may simply be no info being fed up the chain to be reported.

i am sure the system is also overwhelmed but i don't believe they are at the level of a national collapse.... yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which means the real total is probably twice that, if not more.  And between the chaos and government corruption we won't ever know the real number, just that a lot of people died.

i bet the numbers in the affected region may be tripple those reported since day one.

i am not 100% convinced the non reporting is the ominous thing we think it is. the gov is having issues just getting workers to keep working. it stands to reason if those healthcare workers haven't realized by now this is a lot bigger than their paycheck that they are 1/2 assing anything beyond their personal issues. no numbers may simply be no info being fed up the chain to be reported.

i am sure the system is also overwhelmed but i don't believe they are at the level of a national collapse.... yet.

The most likely answer is that no one is bothering to report them.  Maybe next week we'll see Liberia say "LOL we forgot" and give a big total.  However, that might only be part of the reason.

The ominous factor is the entirely plausible accusation that Liberia is hiding the true case total in order to either prevent a panic or downplay the epidemic for political/economic reasons.  Ignorance and corruption will spread the virus even faster.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The most likely answer is that no one is bothering to report them.  Maybe next week we'll see Liberia say "LOL we forgot" and give a big total.  However, that might only be part of the reason.

The ominous factor is the entirely plausible accusation that Liberia is hiding the true case total in order to either prevent a panic or downplay the epidemic for political/economic reasons.  Ignorance and corruption will spread the virus even faster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't there just an article about the healthcare workers walking out on strike and the patients leaving the hospitals to go home?

I don't think anybody is counting. Sounds like the healthcare system ( what little there was )collapsed.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wasn't there just an article about the healthcare workers walking out on strike and the patients leaving the hospitals to go home?

I don't think anybody is counting. Sounds like the healthcare system ( what little there was )collapsed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read articles this past week which have suggested one or more of these reasons:

Health Ministry employees on strike, or ill, or even dead;

Corrupt bureaucrats trying to cover up the problem;

Distrustful family members not reporting illnesses or taking their loved ones to Ebola clinics;

Epidemic spreading faster than they can count;

Patients being turned away from clinics before they can be identified and diagnosed;

and

Areas where the number of cases can't be independently verified for safety reasons.

In reality, it's probably a combination of all of those factors, which means the system is collapsing -- if it hasn't stopped functioning already.  There probably isn't a country on earth more vulnerable to rapid spread of the virus than Liberia.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#17]
10:00 a.m. ET: That must have been really good takeout.Dr. Nancy Snyderman, the chief medical editor for NBC News, is officially clear of risk for contracting the Ebola virus. Dr. Snyderman was in West Africa covering the outbreak and worked briefly with Ashoka Mukpo, the freelance cameraman from Rhode Island who is currently being treated for the virus at Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

In light of her interaction with Mukpo, Dr. Snyderman and her team voluntarily quarantined themselves for 21 days. Except someone spotted them at a New Jersey restaurant getting take out, unleashing public outrage. Now that the quarantine time is officially over, and her reputation is certainly damaged, it’s not clear whether Dr. Snyderman will work again for NBC News.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The government is making it worst by suppressing the numbers. You can't fix a problem if you keep lying to yourself and to the people that want to help you.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The government is making it worst by suppressing the numbers. You can't fix a problem if you keep lying to yourself and to the people that want to help you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many government ministers long ago abandoned Liberia.  There is no functioning government.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
About a month ago, the CDC and WHO released some projections for West Africa.

The WHO paper was published on 9/23 in the New England Journal of Medicine and used a small dataset 8/3-9/14 for their projections. The CDC paper was released on 9/26, and they used a different type of model to fit a much broader dataset - essentially modeling from patient zero in each country.

I thought it'd be informative to put the WHO and CDC figures on the same chart and plot the future cases against the projections.  The CDC report, however, didn't have any projections for Guinea, so I took their model and did a best fit only through the 8/28 data that they used for Liberia and Sierra Leone (I may have posted a graph earlier in this thread where I used data through 10/12 for Guinea, but I thought it best to match the data that CDC would have had available at the time, so I put some blinders on and limited the dataset to 8/28 - surprisingly, there wasn't much difference between the two).

To give you an idea of fit, this is what the projections look like vs the reported cases:

In the 9/26 CDC paper, they outlined a suspicion that Liberia was under reporting cases, and outlined why they suspected the actual cases may be 2.5x higher, so that's why the CDC has two projections for Liberia.  It's also worth noting that the WHO used a "confirmed and probable" dataset for the projections they gave in the NEJM paper - for these graphs, however, I used their "confirmed, probable and suspected" dataset, as it aligned better with the to-date number of reported cases.

So, here is where we are today with respect to reported cases and projections, with more appropriate scaling of the y-axis:

So, why is the 101st Airborne in Liberia? According to Liberia's recently reported new-case-counts, they've got this thing under control, right?  I mean, the reported cases were tapering off!  But, the suspicion a month ago was that they were under reporting - and today we have anecdotal reports of lots of new cases daily.  

Without effective intervention, this is what Liberia may look like on 1/20/15:

WHO only made projections through 11/30, so I may extrapolate their projections based on an average doubling rate, and re-plot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]
L_JE, thanks for the number crunching.

I had noted that Liberia "appeared" to be tapering off several days ago.  I agree with your conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I suspect Liberia is giving up, and its not even bad - yet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
This would be a good point in time to have our embassy in Monrovia start delaying non-essential visas.

All State has to do is hand down some innocuous marching orders for embassy staffers to "evaluate an applicant's risk based on address."  

This does two things:
1) it evaluates risk, duh
2) it slows the visa process down in a completely deniable manner - which lessens the odds of importing cases.

But, what's the current status on visas in Monrovia today?  The wait time is now half of what it was when Duncan boarded the plane.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The WHO paper was published on 9/23 in the New England Journal of Medicine and used a small dataset 8/3-9/14 for their projections. The CDC paper was released on 9/26, and they used a different type of model to fit a much broader dataset - essentially modeling from patient zero in each country.

I thought it'd be informative to put the WHO and CDC figures on the same chart and plot the future cases against the projections.  The CDC report, however, didn't have any projections for Guinea, so I took their model and did a best fit only through the 8/28 data that they used for Liberia and Sierra Leone (I may have posted a graph earlier in this thread where I used data through 10/12 for Guinea, but I thought it best to match the data that CDC would have had available at the time, so I put some blinders on and limited the dataset to 8/28 - surprisingly, there wasn't much difference between the two).

To give you an idea of fit, this is what the projections look like vs the reported cases:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020A_zps3a08d84c.jpg

In the 9/26 CDC paper, they outlined a suspicion that Liberia was under reporting cases, and outlined why they suspected the actual cases may be 2.5x higher, so that's why the CDC has two projections for Liberia.  It's also worth noting that the WHO used a "confirmed and probable" dataset for the projections they gave in the NEJM paper - for these graphs, however, I used their "confirmed, probable and suspected" dataset, as it aligned better with the to-date number of reported cases.

So, here is where we are today with respect to reported cases and projections, with more appropriate scaling of the y-axis:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020B_zps610d1a09.jpg

So, why is the 101st Airborne in Liberia? According to Liberia's recently reported new-case-counts, they've got this thing under control, right?  I mean, the reported cases were tapering off!  But, the suspicion a month ago was that they were under reporting - and today we have anecdotal reports of lots of new cases daily.  

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020C_zps1a98682a.jpg

WHO only made projections through 11/30, so I may extrapolate their projections based on an average doubling rate, and re-plot.

View Quote

It will be interesting to watch the numbers for Sierra Leone over the next few weeks.  They appear to have been increasing exponentially over the past month.

We might be seeing the start of a Liberia-style collapse there; the number of probable cases reported over the past three weeks has been steadily climbing, which suggests the labs can't keep up with the samples.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It will be interesting to watch the numbers for Sierra Leone over the next few weeks.  They appear to have been increasing exponentially over the past month.

We might be seeing the start of a Liberia-style collapse there; the number of probable cases reported over the past three weeks has been steadily climbing, which suggests the labs can't keep up with the samples.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020A_zps3a08d84c.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020B_zps610d1a09.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141020C_zps1a98682a.jpg

Your getting it all wrong.

All their numbers will drop, right after Obama has all the Ebola cases shipped back to the US just in time to vote in November.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#26]
DALLAS -- About 120 people are now being monitored for possible infection with Ebola because they may have had contact with one of the three people in Dallas who had the disease, Texas health officials said Monday.

Officials said 43 of 48 people on an original watch list have passed the 21-day maximum incubation period for the viral disease and are now in the clear.
View Quote

Link for the Information Controllers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#27]
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — The number of people infected with Ebola in western Sierra Leone, on the other side of the country from where the first cases emerged months ago, is soaring with more than 20 deaths daily, the government and local media reported Tuesday.

New confirmed cases of Ebola that emerged Monday in two Ebola zones in and around the capital Freetown numbered 49, the National Ebola Response Center reported Tuesday. There are 851 total confirmed cases in the two zones, called Western Area Urban and Western Area Rural, the center said. But there were no new cases in the eastern districts of Kenema and Kailahun, which previously had been an epicenter of the outbreak and where there have been a total of 1,012 confirmed cases.
View Quote

Info Control link.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#30]
To get an idea of how many cases are going missing in Liberia, I used the numbers from the recent UN reports.

From October 10th to October 17th, Guinea reported 169 new Ebola cases which was an increase of 13%.  Sierra Leone reported 460 cases, an increase of 16%.

Liberia only reported 186 cases, an increase of only 5%.  From the October 15th to the October 17th report, they only reported thirteen new cases in the entire country.

If Liberia had seen an increase similar to Sierra Leone's, then they should have reported 636 cases -- meaning there are 450 "missing" cases from last week.

During the past month, from the September 18th report to the October 17th report, Guinea reported 577 new cases, an increase of 61%.  Sierra Leone reported 1,737 cases, an increase of 104%.

Assuming Liberia saw the same increase during the past month as Sierra Leone, then there should have been 1,266 more cases in Liberia reported by now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Per the CDC projections and the travel patterns published in The Lancet, they may now be seeing 1-2 infected people per day at the int'l airport in Monrovia - assuming 2013 travel rates.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Per the CDC projections and the travel patterns published in The Lancet, they may now be seeing 1-2 infected people per day at the int'l airport in Monrovia - assuming 2013 travel rates.
View Quote

If I were in Liberia and suspected that I had Ebola, I'd be on the next flight out to the US.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I were in Liberia and suspected that I had Ebola, I'd be on the next flight out to the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoken like someone who's never had to get a US visa.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's an estimate of air travel from Liberia to destinations that account for 89% of international travel from Liberia.

It uses the abovementioned CDC estimates, and borrows travel information from an article published in The Lancet yesterday.  The Lancet authors also factored in a 51% reduction in travel from Liberia, whereas the chart below uses the full 2013 travel patterns.

The Lancet article uses a fixed number of active cases (1,707 for Liberia) in their projections - this is the "sum of the number of confirmed, probable, and suspected cases in the past 21 days to estimate active cases as of Sept 21, 2014".

Using a static case count for a situation that is experiencing exponential growth seems to be a shortcoming of the Lancet article, but they provide enough information such that the reader can adjust for growth and under reporting.  Thus, I took their work one step further by incorporated the CDC time-based projections.

My model is projecting 4,165 symptomatic cases, plus 2,895 pre-symptomatic cases for 9/21 - this correlates to 10,169 cumulative cases for Liberia on 9/21 (as a point of reference, Wikipedia lists a cumulative case count of =3,280 for 9/21)

ETA:
The Lancet article can be found here: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)61828-6/abstract
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here's an estimate of air travel from Liberia to destinations that account for 89% of international travel from Liberia.

It uses the abovementioned CDC estimates, and borrows travel information from an article published in The Lancet yesterday.  The Lancet authors also factored in a 51% reduction in travel from Liberia, whereas the chart below uses the full 2013 travel patterns.

The Lancet article uses a fixed number of active cases (1,707 for Liberia) in their projections - this is the "sum of the number of confirmed, probable, and suspected cases in the past 21 days to estimate active cases as of Sept 21, 2014".

Using a static case count for a situation that is experiencing exponential growth seems to be a shortcoming of the Lancet article, but they provide enough information such that the reader can adjust for growth and under reporting.  Thus, I took their work one step further by incorporated the CDC time-based projections.

My model is projecting 4,165 symptomatic cases, plus 2,895 pre-symptomatic cases for 9/21 - this correlates to 10,169 cumulative cases for Liberia on 9/21 (as a point of reference, Wikipedia lists a cumulative case count of =3,280 for 9/21)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141021B_zps074c45ec.jpg
View Quote

I bet you got crazy amounts of pussy in high school.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2014/20141017%20EZ/Ebolagraph20141021B_zps074c45ec.jpg

Let me consult my spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But seriously, that's fantastic work.  Way more relevant than anything I'm seeing on news sites.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — The number of people infected with Ebola in western Sierra Leone, on the other side of the country from where the first cases emerged months ago, is soaring with more than 20 deaths daily, the government and local media reported Tuesday.

New confirmed cases of Ebola that emerged Monday in two Ebola zones in and around the capital Freetown numbered 49, the National Ebola Response Center reported Tuesday. There are 851 total confirmed cases in the two zones, called Western Area Urban and Western Area Rural, the center said. But there were no new cases in the eastern districts of Kenema and Kailahun, which previously had been an epicenter of the outbreak and where there have been a total of 1,012 confirmed cases.

Info Control link.

A friend of mine's pastor in Sierra Leone said there were at least 1000 people dying a week and this was three weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have 30,000,000 illegals that didn't bother with visas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would still have to get visas to Mexico, or Central America.  As of September in West Africa, they are averaging 7.5 days from symptoms to death, with a 9.4 day suspected incubation.  That's a very small window, especially for people with few resources.  Spill-over into neighboring African nations is the larger threat.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

But seriously, that's fantastic work.  Way more relevant than anything I'm seeing on news sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found GD to always be a better overall source of news than the MSM.  I've read stories here that got duped by the national Media 2-3 days later, long after the GD thread got locked for personal attacks or BOTD violations.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Liberia.  What the heck is going on in Liberia?

The WHO says the data acquisition continues to be a challenge in Liberia and that Evidence obtained from responders and laboratory staff in the country suggests that the situation in Liberia is getting worse, and that transmission remains intense in the capital, Monrovia. As has been the case over the past four weeks, very few confirmed cases were reported from Monrovia between 6 and 11 October (figure 2), reflecting ongoing delays in matching laboratory results with clinical surveillance data. By contrast, 138 suspected and probable cases were reported from Monrovia during the same period, many of which are likely to be genuine cases of EVD.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201410202741.html
View Quote

So while many are quietly suggesting that Ebola would be out of Liberia by the time the U.S. completes its Ebola treatment units, things may be far from over, and this is the reason Maj. General Williams says the U.S. mission remains a humanitarian effort, explaining that U.S. troops are in Liberia to support the Liberian people against a common enemy.
View Quote

[This was mostly posted in the Ebola US thread, but it's more pertinent to the Africa thread, so I'm reposting, and adding some additional information at the bottom, in blue.]

Liberia

From 10/6 to 10/11, there were 57 total new cases reported to WHO, but the article suggests that there were 138 suspected and probable cases in Monrovia, alone.  This covers a six day time period.

Monrovia has a population 970,000, compared to 4,429,000 for all of Liberia.  Assuming an even distribution of the virus, that indicates that there should have been closer to 630 reported cases from 10/6-10/11 - a far cry from the 57 cases they reported.

The analysis by CDC indicates that we should be seeing 280 to 650 new cases per day during this time frame.

The case counts being reported by Liberia are orders of magnitude lower than the projections.

Sierra Leone

Over the same time period, 10/6-10/11, there were 326 new cases reported to WHO. This increase in cases slightly outpaces the CDC projections, but is in line with the WHO projections.

Balance of Effort

About 6 new cases a day in Liberia, versus roughly 60 new cases a day in Sierra Leone (10-6-10/11) ...

This begs the question: Why are US troops even in Liberia?  By all measures, we should have focused relief efforts on Sierra Leone.  

We should be telling Liberia that they don't need us.  Maybe that would help to get a straight story out of them?

Using the stats reported from Liberia, and using a 9 day incubation rate and 8 days from symptoms to death [WHO], they should have about 390 sick people at the moment, perhaps with additional 200 who have turned the corner and are on their way to recovering.  But, at these rates, by the time we get these facilities built, there will be no one left to treat.

Where Does the Truth Lie?

The Liberian government is spinning a tale that WHO, MSF and the US Govt doesn't believe.  According to Liberia's reporting, the ETUs should be clearing out by this week.  I'll forecast through from the last report (10/14) for a present bed projection, but I expect the model is going to show nearly empty ETUs - which is something that will run counter to what MSF [Medecins sans Frontieres] is seeing right now.

We only have reported data through 10/14, so I ran extended the model from 10/14 to 10/22 based on the 6 cases/day rate last reported by Liberian officials....

163 currently symptomatic people in all of Liberia.  That's what my model shows using 9 day incubation and 8 day symptom-to-death parameters.  That compares to 840 symptomatic on 9/15.  That's an 80% reduction in bed-count in the span of a month.  An 80% bed reduction.  Makes you wonder if MSF would concur with that figure.  My guess is, no.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#44]
So, what happened?
Has the Ebola gotten sick?

Perhaps run into a pocket of resistant humans?

Epidemic seems to have stumbled.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#46]
We have heard the reports of healthcare workers walking away from their jobs and 'hospitals'  being abandoned.

Same thing with govt officials.

I think it is clear, IMO anyway, that Liberia has collapsed.

I don't know why we are not getting info on what is going on since we have the US Military in Monrovia. The US military should know exactly what is going on. They may not have numbers, but they would be aware of what the conditions are like, and still we have crickets.

So either nothing has changed, or it has gotten very bad.  Of course maybe the decision was made to go to Monrovia because we knew Liberia infrastructure was about to collapse.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We have heard the reports of healthcare workers walking away from their jobs and 'hospitals'  being abandoned.

I don't know why we are not getting info on what is going on since we have the US Military in Monrovia. The US military should know exactly what is going on. They may not have numbers, but they would be aware of what the conditions are like, and still we have crickets.

So either nothing has changed, or it has gotten very bad.  Of course maybe the decision was made to go to Monrovia because we knew Liberia infrastructure was about to collapse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe cases are increasing, and the Liberians are under reporting in fear of being cut off from the outside world.

But, I don't believe it has gotten very bad - yet.  They may be in the range of 1 in 300 being symptomatic.  Medicine and human psychology are not my thing, but I can see how a 1 in 300 problem could still be wished away and denied by authorities.  By the 3rd week of November, they may be reaching the 1 in 100 mark, where it will be far more difficult to wish away the problem.  [These figures account for suspected under reporting, so divide by 2.5 for figures that are in better agreement with reported case counts through the beginning of September, whereupon case counts started getting inexplicably "better" - things are so "good" that a brigade-sized group of US personnel were sent in.]

This last paragraph from the allafrica.com story may give some insight/motivation to the government reported figures ...

For the time being, Americans are pressuring their leaders to temporarily place a ban on travel to the United States from countries suffering an outbreak of the Ebola virus and a lot of our neighbors on the continent have already done the same. We pray that it does not come to that as Liberia and all those nations hit by the virus, need all the help we can get, abandoning us now would mean the death of us all.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201410202741.html

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#49]
A fitting radio station call sign in the land of hemorrhagic fever ...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#50]
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — After emerging months ago in eastern Sierra Leone, Ebola is now hitting the western edges of the country where the capital is located with dozens of people falling sick each day, the government said Tuesday. So many people are dying that removing bodies is reportedly a problem.

Forty-nine confirmed cases of Ebola emerged in just one day, Monday, in two Ebola zones in and around the capital, the National Ebola Response Center, or NERC, said. Lawmaker Claude Kamanda who represents a western area said more than 20 deaths are being reported daily.

Kamanda told the local Politico newspaper that authorities are experiencing challenges collecting corpses from both quarantined and non-quarantined homes.
View Quote
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top