Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Please post an AAR.  I'm planning my next Napa trip around a French Laundry reservation, if and when I can get one.  Thomas Keller's tasting menus are always worth it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a French Laundry? Sounds like a gay orgy sauna.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had never even heard of it, so I Googled it.  While I am sure the food is fantastic, you weren't lying.

http://www.proconlists.com/images/list/31/original/the-french-laundry.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you going to post immediately to social media so everyone knows you spent way too much on very little food?

Or did this post cover that?

I had never even heard of it, so I Googled it.  While I am sure the food is fantastic, you weren't lying.

The serving sizes aren't large, but there are like a zillion courses.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm more interested in seeing if OP says it was worth it afterwards.

I've looked at one of their cookbooks before, they do put a fuckload of work into their dishes.
View Quote
That's like asking whether a Larue or Noveske rifle is worth it.  Some people appreciate and will pay for the extra quality, others will herp and derp about their DPMS.  Anyone with any sense will smile and say they wish they could afford more.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone with any sense will smile and say they wish they could afford more.  
View Quote

Lol, OK.

Sorry but there is no threshold that $500 food reaches that cannot be adequately reached for a cheaper price. People will always be able to rationalize paying 50 times more than the average but that in no way means they are getting 50x the value.

Just like with Noveske, LMT and other boutique AR makers there comes a point where you are not paying for product, you are paying for exclusivity and for the name that is stamped on the side. I think it's obvious given how many cheap, high quality AR's exist out there that that point of exclusivity is reached very quickly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok I'll bite..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh. I've been to a restaurant that was over $1,000 per person.

Ok I'll bite..

Believe it. Chef's counter inside the kitchen at the original Saison in San Francisco. $750 plus tip and tax per person. 23 courses, with a wine pairing every other course. It moved locations, and got rid of the chef's counter.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lol, OK.

Sorry but there is no threshold that $500 food reaches that cannot be adequately reached for a cheaper price. People will always be able to rationalize paying 50 times more than the average but that in no way means they are getting 50x the value.

Just like with Noveske, LMT and other boutique AR makers there comes a point where you are not paying for product, you are paying for exclusivity and for the name that is stamped on the side. I think it's obvious given how many cheap, high quality AR's exist out there that that point of exclusivity is reached very quickly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, OK.

A 23 course meal, with 13 wine pairings, in a Michelin 3 Star restaurant is an EXPERIENCE that can't be recreated for a fraction of the price. It's not about the cost of the food
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Believe it. Chef's counter inside the kitchen at the original Saison in San Francisco. $750 plus tip and tax per person. 23 courses, with a wine pairing every other course. It moved locations, and got rid of the chef's counter.

http://insert-food.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-chefs-counter-at-saison-san.html#more

View Quote

I'm so glad that I'm not refined enough to appreciate any of that. I couldn't afford it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A 23 course meal, with 13 wine pairings, in a Michelin 3 Star restaurant is an EXPERIENCE that can't be recreated for a fraction of the price. It's not about the cost of the food
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, OK.

Ill take 5lbs of king crab and a cooler full of beer on the beach any day over that.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://insert-food.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-chefs-counter-at-saison-san.html#more

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. I've been to a restaurant that was over $1,000 per person.

Ok I'll bite..

Awesome.

French Laundry is on my bucket list, as well as NOMA in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ill take 5lbs of king crab and a cooler full of beer on the beach any day over that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, OK.

I don't disagree with you, and I never would have paid for it. My wife's boss sent us there for her birthday.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If you aren't interested in expensive fine dining don't go.  No need to disparage other's appreciation of it.  As someone else has already mentioned, they put a lot of work into every dish and there are many courses involved in a meal at such a restaurant.  My daughter is a pastry and dessert chef at a similar restaurant in Boston and I can tell you for certain that nothing gets to a table without hours of preparation and effort behind it.  This costs more than you are going to spend at a rib shack or crab house.  

I love rib shacks and crab houses by the way but some times it's nice to try something that is costlier and more refined.  It's not for everyone and that's fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

A three Michelin Star restaurant, was the best restaurant in the world for two years in 03 and 04, currently 44th best restaurant in the world.  Thomas Keller is a culinary god, I was fortunate enough to work at Bouchon.  I have yet to meet a boss who cares as much about his employees as Keller.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Only a fool would part with their money for that BS on a plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you going to post immediately to social media so everyone knows you spent way too much on very little food?

Only a fool would part with their money for that BS on a plate.

I used to think the same way until I actually ate there. Now I have several reservations a year there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lol, OK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, OK.

I would argue that the performance/price ratio is far better for the restaurant in question then the boutique rifle makers (not to disparage them).  Aside from that, for many people this sort of thing is a bucket list item, same way as buying an OBR with some awesome glass is for some people here.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Where are you going for dinner afterwards?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Enjoy!  It's an awesome fine dining experience.

ETA:

Look, I totally get the "screw that, no food is worth $$$$$ I'll take a pizza and a beer" attitude.  Also, there is truth to the idea that you're paying for exclusivity and the brand experience.  However, it truly is cuisine that is utterly unlike any that you can get at restaurants at typical pricings (say $60 per person and below).  You also have to have a passion for dining experiences and more esoteric food preparation and presentation or it truly isn't worth it.  Let's face it, at the end of the day, it's an insane amount of money to sit down and eat.  It can easily be what for many people is a month's pay.  That can be really hard to swallow for someone who's got a very practical nature.

If you're an idiot like me, you'll eat there every chance you get!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where are you going for dinner afterwards?
View Quote

I am a big eater, I have never left there hungry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

She is a chef and owns her own culinary services company.  Our entire wedding and honeymoon is a write off.

She already posted on Facebook.  I posted on Arfcom  as an excuse to post her pic for the leg humpers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is a chef and owns her own culinary services company.  Our entire wedding and honeymoon is a write off.

She already posted on Facebook.  I posted on Arfcom  as an excuse to post her pic for the leg humpers.

A wedding and honeymoon is not tax deductible, doesn't matter who you are.      

You should have this entire thread deleted.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Um. Have fun? I don't know what difference the French do to their laundry then what we do in the US. Enlighten us?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Um. Have fun? I don't know what difference the French do to their laundry then what we do in the US. Enlighten us?
View Quote

not sure if serious
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#24]
That dinner is absolutely deductible given his wife's business and profession.  The rest of the trip is debatable.

Lighten up Francis.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#25]
You'll leave feeling full but not gorged.

It's not about stuffing your face with as much food as possible.  It's about enjoying the pinnacle of what the culinary world has to offer.

Most of you are better off just sticking to buffet at your nearest Golden Corral.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You'll leave feeling full but not gorged.

It's not about stuffing your face with as much food as possible.  It's about enjoying the pinnacle of what the culinary world has to offer.

Most of you are better off just sticking to buffet at your nearest Golden Corral.

View Quote

Aren't you being redundant here?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd love to eat there but that's an ARFCOM life membership right there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
You're already a life member.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL Napa..next time if you must  go for fancy French stuff just go to Paris as even the French have less of a snob attitude then rich Napa type Calutards do LOL!.Took mine to Paris for a birthday she loved it and you can eat just about anywhere even in cheap places like coffeehouses etc. over there and the food is decent.(We did the river cruise so you cruise down the Seine on a boat and have dinner while cruising by the Eiffel Tower/Notre Dame etc. she loved it).  You have a very pretty bride though and she is smiling so that's all that matters..happy wife/happy life etc. Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon and wine country!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Was worth it for the experience... Would not do it every time in Napa

My parents are their a few times a year and have been given the other phone # to use so they don't have to go through the nonsense. There are always a few tables left open for VIPs and if there are none they call the backup list
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll be damned!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Congratulations on your marriage OP. Disregard the comments from the unwashed masses. They aren't happy unless they can dip their fried chicken in a chocolate fountain.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:35:25 AM EDT
[#35]
HECK YEAH!!!!!  Some day I will get there.  My sister said after she went it was pretty much the best food she had ever eaten.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's the initial AAR:

It was worth the price. There is a shitload of work that goes into what they serve. The portions are smaller but there's a lot of courses. If you're typical Arfcommer that closes down the Golden Corral then don't go - you and your fatness will be disappointed. If you appreciate quality and dedicated hard work, then go for the experience.

But... We both feel that Le Cirque in the Bellagio in Las Vegas was better.  That being said, we will definitely go back to The French Laundry. And write it off again!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the AAR!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL Napa..next time if you must  go for fancy French stuff just go to Paris as even the French have less of a snob attitude then rich Napa type Calutards do LOL!.Took mine to Paris for a birthday she loved it and you can eat just about anywhere even in cheap places like coffeehouses etc. over there and the food is decent.(We did the river cruise so you cruise down the Seine on a boat and have dinner while cruising by the Eiffel Tower/Notre Dame etc. she loved it).  You have a very pretty bride though and she is smiling so that's all that matters..happy wife/happy life etc. Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon and wine country!
View Quote

Where in CA do you live?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's the initial AAR:

It was worth the price. There is a shitload of work that goes into what they serve. The portions are smaller but there's a lot of courses. If you're typical Arfcommer that closes down the Golden Corral then don't go - you and your fatness will be disappointed. If you appreciate quality and dedicated hard work, then go for the experience.

But... We both feel that Le Cirque in the Bellagio in Las Vegas was better.  That being said, we will definitely go back to The French Laundry. And write it off again!
View Quote

Glad you & your bride enjoyed it.  I've in the area for 14 years and never had the occasion to go:(

Where else will you be going while in the area?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

she better suck your dick off for $300

make sure you get it back, because thats not a lot of food.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
French Laundry? So like a load of white flags?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Congrat.
I sure enjoy my trips to the French Laundry, and Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, both 3 star Michelin.

Looking forward to my anniversary trip to New York later this year, planning to hit both Per Se and Daniel's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because for $300, that is the only thing you get to eat the entire night.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Congrat.

I sure enjoy my trips to the French Laundry, and Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, both 3 star Michelin.

Looking forward to my anniversary trip to New York later this year, planning to hit both Per Se and Daniel's.
View Quote

I have heard Per Se is sliding ... hope it is not true

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That dinner is absolutely deductible given his wife's business and profession.  The rest of the trip is debatable.

Lighten up Francis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lighten up Francis.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Lean over to the table next to you and with a mouth full of food, yell How Much For Your Women!

No west coast eatery can top The Inn at Little Washington,  sorry folks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Im pretty low rent.

I have never heard of it.

I spent that much on a pen once though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrat.

Between everything that went down with their last Health Inspection and losing 19 positions in the Top 50's list it would be hard to argue that they haven't slipped up.  Keller needs to get Eli out and put in a new Chef De Cuisine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrat.

Gayot still rates them at 19. Only other restaurant in NYC currently enjoying that high a rating is Daniel's. I have been the kitchen at Per Se as well as the French Laundry. Both were absolutely spotless and interestingly, both linked by closed circuit video.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A three Michelin Star restaurant, was the best restaurant in the world for two years in 03 and 04, currently 44th best restaurant in the world.  Thomas Keller is a culinary god, I was fortunate enough to work at Bouchon.  I have yet to meet a boss who cares as much about his employees as Keller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, so where's the thread for the gay orgy sauna?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top