[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Updates OP?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread

I've had a great time out here learning about a small mine in its development stage.  I'm studying Mining Engineering so this was a great way for me to get experience.  I got trained how to operate a bulldozer and an excavator, which is awesome .  I also get to help lay out the blast patterns.  Our last blast used around 10,000lbs of ANFO.  I would post the video, but it was an ugly, ugly blast with tons of flyrock.  I don't think my boss would want the world seeing that screw up .  He was pissed.    

There's really not much to say about the town.  There are like 3 or 4 people who actually live here, and really nothing to take pictures of.  There's a ton of arsenic in the ground, and since all the water comes from wells or springs you have to drink bottled water.      

I'm not sure what kind of pics I can't/shouldn't post, so i might take down or add some later.

Here's a pic of the pad and pond.  The gold ore is piled up on the plastic and a cyanide solution is pumped through it.  The cyanide takes the gold out, and then the pregnant solution is sent through activated carbon which takes the gold out of the solution.  The carbon is shipped out for processing and making money.  

This is a pic of the pit.  It's a few weeks old and was before the most recent blast.  It doesn't look like this anymore.

These rocks next to the grader and dozer came out of that blast.  Pretty ugly.

This is a view of the pad from the pit.  you can see ore being spread out on the plastic.

ANFO

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
On one of my free weekends I went out exploring in the area.  I didn't have much gas so I didn't go too far out, but I found some cool abandoned stuff.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the update!

Blowing stuff up is fun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update!

Blowing stuff up is fun.
View Quote

Blowing stuff up is tons of fun

I think I'll drive around some more this weekend.  I might have some other pictures to add.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What are you living in while on the location?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Should be a cool experience. I hope you will be well armed. Can't wait to see your pics!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you living in while on the location?
View Quote

I'm staying in a small house that the mine rents from one of Gold Hill's 4 residents.  It's not nice, but it has a comfy bed.  There are a couple other people who live in trailers in Gold Hill.  Most of the other workers live in nearby towns like Wendover, NV (1.5hrs away) or Ibapah, UT (30-45mins away).
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Should be a cool experience. I hope you will be well armed. Can't wait to see your pics!

View Quote

It's been a great experience so far.  This is my last week out here before I head back home and get ready for classes to start.  I only took one picture last week of an old abandoned mill, but it didn't turn out.  I'm planning on going exploring one last time one of these nights so I can get some more pictures.  There's really nothing interesting in Gold Hill.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Does that mean the company is feeding you too?  How is the food?
Do you share the house with another miner, or are you alone?
Where do you buy fuel for your personal vehicle?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag...Sounds pretty cool. Were you able to do any metal detecting?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does that mean the company is feeding you too?  How is the food?
Do you share the house with another miner, or are you alone?
Where do you buy fuel for your personal vehicle?
View Quote

The company is feeding me dinners.  I stock up on breakfast and lunch stuff in wendover about every other week.  I also get gas there, but if I ever needed to I could take a small amount from the mine.  I would just have to ask.  I'm sharing a house with a mine superintendent. Our place is right above the boss's house and we usually eat dinner there.  The food is great. There are a bunch of ranches not too far from here so there's plenty of fresh hamburger and steak.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tag...Sounds pretty cool. Were you able to do any metal detecting?
View Quote

I never bought my own detector, but I went out exploring with another guy who has one a couple weeks ago. I found a nail (which I lost) and a single round of Lake City 5.56 from 1975.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's been a great experience so far.  This is my last week out here before I head back home and get ready for classes to start.  I only took one picture last week of an old abandoned mill, but it didn't turn out.  I'm planning on going exploring one last time one of these nights so I can get some more pictures.  There's really nothing interesting in Gold Hill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sadly this was the conclusion I came to after the weekend I spent there. It used to be reputed as one of Utah's best ghost towns.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
sounds like a cool adventure
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top