BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd fucking bust a rib laughing my ass off if Snowden were to suddenly 'find' them and make them public
View Quote

I'd shed a joyful tear.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm a non-enterprise geek, and even *I* have RAIDed disks, periodic backups to network storage, and regular mirroring off-site.  

And the IRS just "loses" those critical emails?

My sweet ass.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit.

<- enterprise email geek

I'm a non-enterprise geek, and even *I* have RAIDed disks, periodic backups to network storage, and regular mirroring off-site.  

My sweet ass.  

Maybe the IRS outsourced their e-mail support to DISA?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Pure absolute bullshit. I just went through Federal Information Systems Security Awareness + Privacy and Records Management (FISSA+) training. ALL emails are to be stored, then sent to NARA (National Archive Records Administration) for archival. Obviously you don't have to archive so and so's retirement party, but any information that may be pertinent for historical or litigious reasons.  

Two years worth of emails going up in smoke? Absolutely no fucking way. There should have been several archive cycles conducted during that time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
This reminds me, a few years back when the show was still on the air, I saw this quote being posted around and .gov apologizers claiming our gov wasn't THAT bad:

This government is corrupt at its core, its actions are criminal, and I no longer recognize its right to lead.- Major Edward Beck, Jericho
View Quote

Anyone still able to honestly refute the first 2 statements?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/opinion/stockman-asks-nsa-for-lois-lerner-metadata-after-irs-claims/article_7f4b3cc9-4d33-57f7-9a8e-d48c9452a976.html?mode=jqm

June 13, 2014

Admiral Michael S. Rogers

Director, National Security Agency

Fort Meade, MD 20755

Admiral Rogers:

First, thank you for your 33 years of, and continued service to, our country.

Second, as you probably read, the Internal Revenue Service informed the House Ways and Means Committee today they claim to “lost” all emails from former Exempt Organizations division director Lois Lerner for the period between January 2009 and April 2011.

According to chairman Camp, “The IRS claims it cannot produce emails written only to or from Lerner and outside agencies or groups, such as the White House, Treasury, Department of Justice, FEC, or Democrat offices” due to a “computer glitch.”

I am writing to request the Agency produce all metadata it has collected on all of Ms. Lerner’s email accounts for the period between January 2009 and April 2011.

The data may be transmitted to our Communications Director at [email protected].

Your prompt cooperation in this matter will be greatly appreciated and will help establish how IRS and other personnel violated rights protected by the First Amendment.

Warmest wishes,

STEVE STOCKMAN

Member of Congress

View Quote

Dear Congressman Stockman,

KrrrrrRRRRrrrrr you're Krrrrrruuuuurrrr breaking up kkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on us krrrrrrrrrrr gotta go bye KRRrrrrRRRRRR

Warmest wishes,
 Admiral Rogers, NSA
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to worry, lads!  I'm sure the NSA has a copy or two lying around in their database....

Search parameters, what words would you use to find those emails on a scattered server(s)?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would guess that at least half a dozen hard drives would have to fail simultaneously in order them to have lost her emails. Not including tape backup drives, backups to other WAN locations, etc.

For example: let's presume she has a laptop, from which she can send criminal emails while she's getting drunk at the country club with his Excellency. The laptop would have a secure connection (VPN) on which she would access her IMAPP email account. That mail server would be in a secure IRS datacenter. It would have RAID arrays, and be backed up at least nightly. It would be in a secure location, in a climate-controlled room, accessible only by the network/server admins. A typical scenario would be that mail server 1 backs up to server 2, if they are using RAID 1 arrays, that's a bare minimum of 4 hard drives that would have to fail simultaneously. One would presume that they would also have tape drives, and otherwise total fail-safe redundancy throughout their networks.  My example is a rudimentary bare minimum.    

The odds of them "losing" those mail server records, is about the same as everyone in GD winning the lottery on the same day.

We've got an administration straight out of a banana republic.

View Quote

You just made a huge f-ing post to explain "bullshit" which everyone already knows.  

You can't have a selective computer glitch that deletes emails only from one person to select agencies, but leaves other emails in there.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You just made a huge f-ing post to explain "bullshit" which everyone already knows.  

You can't have a selective computer glitch that deletes emails only from one person to select agencies, but leaves other emails in there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would guess that at least half a dozen hard drives would have to fail simultaneously in order them to have lost her emails. Not including tape backup drives, backups to other WAN locations, etc.

For example: let's presume she has a laptop, from which she can send criminal emails while she's getting drunk at the country club with his Excellency. The laptop would have a secure connection (VPN) on which she would access her IMAPP email account. That mail server would be in a secure IRS datacenter. It would have RAID arrays, and be backed up at least nightly. It would be in a secure location, in a climate-controlled room, accessible only by the network/server admins. A typical scenario would be that mail server 1 backs up to server 2, if they are using RAID 1 arrays, that's a bare minimum of 4 hard drives that would have to fail simultaneously. One would presume that they would also have tape drives, and otherwise total fail-safe redundancy throughout their networks.  My example is a rudimentary bare minimum.    

The odds of them "losing" those mail server records, is about the same as everyone in GD winning the lottery on the same day.

VLANS, dude....it's possible but UBER unlikely
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be a dick but vlans have jack shit to do with email and data retention

15+ years in the nerding industry   current title is Sr. Storage Architect  
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The correct answer to that bullshit is, "if these emails aren't on my desk Monday at 7 am you will be held indefinitely in the capital jail. We will arrest the highest in command at the IRS each day from now until I no longer hold this office or the emails magically reappear, do I make myself clear? Then gtfo."
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#14]
"I lost my income information. Sorry, can't file income taxes this year!"

That would probably work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#15]
In other news, IRS is full of shit.

They'll most likely get away with it, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#16]
More evidence that this is the least transparent, MOST corrupt administration EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone bothered to count the lamp posts on Constitution Ave. yet?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd fucking bust a rib laughing my ass off if Snowden were to suddenly 'find' them and make them public
View Quote

Would that help Russia?  I think Putin likes having Obama as an adversary. Putin's boy toy will do as he's told
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:33:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Exchange server" is a Microsoft product, it is the dedicated email computer on that network.

It is NOT located on Lois Lerner's PC, it is a device that is shared between all of the PCs for email.

The Exchange server is backed up separately, usually every day and at least once a week.

It would also normally have redundant disc drives with data duplication in case one disc drive fails.

If I lost over a years worth of email for one of our users, I would probably be fired for incompetence.

The company I work for is being sued now and we have been forbidden to delete any emails or throw away any hard drives.

Every last email is being read by opposing groups of lawyers to determine if a certain promise was made to any employee.  

I am certain that IRS has a better data backup policy than we do here, so I am certain they are lying.

We have redundant backups, redundant disc drives, offsite data storage--I am certain the IRS does too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thuban  (in the other thread)

Bull fucking shit.

Her e-mails would have been stored on an Exchange server, a server that would have had a hard drive array with redundancy and would have been backed up in multiple ways.

I wish I knew enough about computers to understand this.

"Exchange server" is a Microsoft product, it is the dedicated email computer on that network.

It is NOT located on Lois Lerner's PC, it is a device that is shared between all of the PCs for email.

The Exchange server is backed up separately, usually every day and at least once a week.

It would also normally have redundant disc drives with data duplication in case one disc drive fails.

If I lost over a years worth of email for one of our users, I would probably be fired for incompetence.

The company I work for is being sued now and we have been forbidden to delete any emails or throw away any hard drives.

Every last email is being read by opposing groups of lawyers to determine if a certain promise was made to any employee.  

I am certain that IRS has a better data backup policy than we do here, so I am certain they are lying.

We have redundant backups, redundant disc drives, offsite data storage--I am certain the IRS does too.

One of my clients has some litigation going on, ALL emails for something like ten years are being retained, they've had to continuously purchase new back end storage for their email system to keep it, and even though they've since migrated corporate email to Exchange, the previous email system is being kept alive for the litigation, along with copies of several large databases, multi-terabytes of data that otherwise would have been deleted long ago.  The lawyers were TRYING to insist that we keep the old storage arrays after a migration, thinking they could somehow resurrect data off of them (good luck with that, I hadn't been told to keep them, so I did everything short of physical destruction of the drives to make sure no sensitive data could be recovered off of them, I doubt even the NSA would have had much luck recovering anything by the time I was done).

Former employer was hacked (after I left), was talking to the guy who wound up replacing me about the Hell he went through during the investigation.  He had investigators from a number of three letter agencies plus one of the big accounting firms standing over him demanding he deliver full bit-level copies of EVERY SERVER IN THE DATA CENTER, he worked for four days straight, broken only by short cat naps, pulling that all together, and every note he wrote was confiscated, if the paper was on a notepad when he wrote it, they took the whole pad, and he certainly wasn't allowed to email anything about the system configuration, not even just a list of the servers involved.  Of course, it wound up being a Windows server that was compromised, not anything our group managed, and the Russian that did it went to jail a few months ago over it and some other corporate hacking he did.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
FBHO
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The IRS is using a Microsoft system for their email, at least according to this testimony.  The emails are indeed stored on servers rather than the local machine.

Which means they have backups, and everything is archived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax6QGmKhRwo
View Quote

They know that. We know that.  Everyone knows it.  The IRS is trying to pull the equivalent of "krrRRrr you're breaking up KrrrRRrr!!!"  

They should all go down for that simple lie, if not anything else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, right.
View Quote

Convenient, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I read the article, didn't get much other than a computer crash and other news reports that it was Lerner's computer.  I retired from the gov't in 2008.   If her computer was connected to an agency network all her emails can be recovered.  I knew plenty of people who got burned for receiving inappropriate emails or resending inappropriate emails in Arizona.  

The emails were all archived in the agency's main office in DC and in the local servers in Arizona.  The local computer services tech could access peoples' email as part of his job and warned people to stop sending out inappropriate emails and tell their contacts to stop sending them.  People still got burned as the headquarters in DC would audit everyone's email (30,000 employees) and pull the emails up from the servers in DC.

Lerner's email that have been disappeared are one's she sent to the Obama administration.  Those would also be archived by the White House by law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Guys, this can't be that big of a story.  There is no mention of the IRS losing Lerner's emails anywhere in the NY Times today.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guys, this can't be that big of a story.  There is no mention of the IRS losing Lerner's emails anywhere in the NY Times today.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click®ion=Masthead&pgtype=Homepage&module=SearchSubmit&contentCollection=Homepage&t=qry633#/IRS/since1851/allresults/1/allauthors/newest/

View Quote

ha.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#27]
They have laws requiring the proper storing of said emails.

Who is going to jail for losing them?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I read the article, didn't get much other than a computer crash and other news reports that it was Lerner's computer.  I retired from the gov't in 2008.   If her computer was connected to an agency network all her emails can be recovered.  I knew plenty of people who got burned for receiving inappropriate emails or resending inappropriate emails in Arizona.  

The emails were all archived in the agency's main office in DC and in the local servers in Arizona.  The local computer services tech could access peoples' email as part of his job and warned people to stop sending out inappropriate emails and tell their contacts to stop sending them.  People still got burned as the headquarters in DC would audit everyone's email (30,000 employees) and pull the emails up from the servers in DC.

Lerner's email that have been disappeared are one's she sent to the Obama administration.  Those would also be archived by the White House by law.
View Quote

That's a good one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Frontier, Verizon, GMail, alumni.calpoly.edu could probably pull up any email I've ever sent/received. This is total bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The IRS is using a Microsoft system for their email, at least according to this testimony.  The emails are indeed stored on servers rather than the local machine.

View Quote
90,000 employees = shit ton of time to locate email for one employee

130+ million taxpayers = minutes to pull up multiple taxpayer records for an audit
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit.

<- enterprise email geek

My sweet ass.  

Can't spell disappointment without disa.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#32]
If I was guilty, I'd get rid of evidence too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Not a smidgen of corruption
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Whoopsie Daisy....
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Once you have a subpoena, is there any law that prevents the committee from just going straight to the server room of the relevant IRS headquarters and just pulling the data themselves? Why oh why are they allowing these people the play this game? Bypass them entirely.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#36]
When is enough, enough?

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#38]
So I guess they'd rather take the hit for spoliation of evidence and contempt.  Must be some bad stuff in those emails, if that's their choice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#39]
dog ate it
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Criminals.  Pure and simple.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's a good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good one.

True though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

and

The Presidential Records Act (PRA) of 1978, 44 U.S.C. §§ 2201–2207, is an Act of Congress of the United States governing the official records of Presidents and Vice Presidents created or received after January 20, 1981, and mandating the preservation of all presidential records. The PRA changed the legal ownership of the official records of the President from private to public, and established a new statutory structure under which Presidents must manage their records.

Specifically, the Presidential Records Act:
Defines and states public ownership of the records.
Places the responsibility for the custody and management of incumbent Presidential records with the President.
Allows the incumbent President to dispose of records that no longer have administrative, historical, informational, or evidentiary value, once he has obtained the views of the Archivist of the United States on the proposed disposal.
Requires that the President and his staff take all practical steps to file personal records separately from Presidential records.
Establishes a process for restriction and public access to these records. Specifically, the PRA allows for public access to Presidential records through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) beginning five years after the end of the Administration, but allows the President to invoke as many as six specific restrictions to public access for up to twelve years. The PRA also establishes procedures for Congress, courts, and subsequent administrations to obtain special access to records that remain closed to the public, following a 30-day notice period to the former and current Presidents.
Requires that Vice-Presidential records are to be treated in the same way as Presidential records.

Since its passage, presidents have used various methods to avoid complying with the Act, including holding meetings away from the White House and "using non-government email accounts with lobbyists".[1]
Executive Order 12667 - Issued by President Reagan in January 1989, this executive order established the procedures for NARA and former and incumbent Presidents to implement the PRA.
Executive Order 13233 - This executive order, issued by President George W. Bush on November 1, 2001, supersedes the previous executive order. The Bush executive order also includes the documents of former Vice Presidents.
Executive Order 13489 - Issued by President Barack Obama on January 21, 2009, restored the implementation of the PRA of 1978 as practiced under President Reagan's Executive Order 12667 and revoked President Bush's Executive Order 13233.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Fox News is continuing to report the emails were lost because Lois Lerner's work computer crashed.  The IRS takes us all for fools as they reported that only her emails to the White House can not be recovered but all emails to co-workers can be recovered.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Fox News is continuing to report the emails were lost because Lois Lerner's work computer crashed.  The IRS takes us all for fools as they reported that only her emails to the White House can not be recovered but all emails to co-workers can be recovered.
View Quote
So why can't the White House produce the emails they received from her?

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I will say the same thing when I get audited. Cocksuckers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are not taking us for fools. They know we know what the score is. They are basically saying FUCK OFF. That's  the scary part, you want to see anything that proves this guy should not be holding his position (birth certificate,emails,etc)...FUCK OFF! Buckle up! I think this guy is planing to be with us for a loooooong time
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Well good.  That will be my excuse if I receive an audit.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think Congress has requested them from the WH yet as they first tried to get them from the IRS for the last year.  The IRS first refused to turn them over, then delayed, now this week comes up with the excuse they were lost.

Congress will now have to request them from the WH, Obama may declare executive privilege and then Congress would have to go to court. That could take years.

How about the Republicans take the senate and cut off/freeze all pay increases and bonuses to all executive and politically appointed IRS staff until the emails are turned over?  In the yearly budget put a freeze on all pay increases for the Treasury Department for all line staff. Cut the IRS/Treasury Department budget drastically.  Power of the purse is controlled by Congress if they wish to exercise it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Even HuffPo is reporting on it.

The IRS was able to generate 24,000 Lerner emails from the 2009 to 2011 because Lerner had copied in other IRS employees. The agency said it pieced together the emails from the computers of 82 other IRS employees.

But an untold number are gone. Camp's office said the missing emails are mainly ones to and from people outside the IRS, "such as the White House, Treasury, Department of Justice, FEC, or Democrat offices."
View Quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/14/irs-says-it-lost-lois-ler_n_5494762.html
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They know that. We know that.  Everyone knows it.  The IRS is trying to pull the equivalent of "krrRRrr you're breaking up KrrrRRrr!!!"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested to know why those emails need to be redacted for a House Oversight Committee. I can understand if they were going to be released to the public, but to the people who are supposed to keep tabs on them?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Has anyone bothered to count the lamp posts on Constitution Ave. yet?
View Quote

You understand logistics.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top