User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 109
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Rami @RamiAlLolah  ·  1m
#ISIS tweeps say #Obama just sentenced the second #USA citizen in their custody to death..! #Syria #Iraq
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Really kickin ass

Luke Coffey ?@LukeDCoffey  23m
Iraq 2014 US averaging 100 sorties (everything-not just strike) per day. Iraq 2003 averaged 2,000 per day. Iraq 1991 averaged 1,000 per day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not everyone wants an alliance with Iran.

http://ciceromagazine.com/opinion/let-iran-and-isis-fight-it-out/
View Quote

LOL that you cited your own article.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's erroneously Arocking you
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, he's admitted to writing other articles in the past on CAS using the same Author name, so I can't Arock someone who already outed himself... And he also has the Author's picture as his ARFCOM profile picture (if you happen to click on Sylvan's user info and then do a google image search for the author's name). Definitely not Arock-ing or erroneous.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's the Democrats "Arab Spring" in action boys, "hands off" diplomacy gets you a destabilized Middle East, anyone who didn't suspect AQ and other Islamist groups were behind these "popular uprisings" needs to choke themselves.

What we are seeing now is a reshaping of the ME and North Africa (Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, etc) and a fundamental change in the world. Personally I think the shit is going to really hit the fan over there after AQ solidifies their gains. Shia Theocracy in Iran, Sunni Theocracy in the Caliphate, Israel better warm up the WMD's and Saudi better get ready to be tested as well.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Good read.
I think he's spot on.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Dutch .gov to give Kurds with bodyarmor and helmets.

Hell I would give them a copuple of Davy Crockett's to selective glass the place but at leaqst its something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting if true.

The 47th ?@THE_47th  3h
@lrozen @WilliamsJon check this out from local Raqqa FB page (translation by @YallaSouriya)

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Laura Rozen ?@lrozen  3h
RT @WilliamsJon: Turns out Syrian news agency reported Jul 5th raid by "foreign air force" on Raqqa countryside.

Urfa, Turkey – Foreign air forces launched several raids and parachutist landing operations in the countryside of Raqqa city, targeting a camp of the Islamic State (previously known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant ‘ISIL’) on Saturday, local activists from Raqqa province told ARA News.

Local activists in Raqqa stated to ARA News that the parachutist landing was carried out by non-Syrian forces, believed to be led by American and Jordanian forces, against the ISIL-held camp of al-Akershi –known as the Camp of Sheikh Osama bin Laden in the eastern countryside of Raqqa city.

http://aranews.net/2014/07/foreign-forces-target-isil-stronghold-syrias-raqqa-activists/
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Laura Rozen ?@lrozen  3h
RT @WilliamsJon: Turns out Syrian news agency reported Jul 5th raid by "foreign air force" on Raqqa countryside.

Urfa, Turkey – Foreign air forces launched several raids and parachutist landing operations in the countryside of Raqqa city, targeting a camp of the Islamic State (previously known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant ‘ISIL’) on Saturday, local activists from Raqqa province told ARA News.

Local activists in Raqqa stated to ARA News that the parachutist landing was carried out by non-Syrian forces, believed to be led by American and Jordanian forces, against the ISIL-held camp of al-Akershi –known as the Camp of Sheikh Osama bin Laden in the eastern countryside of Raqqa city.

http://aranews.net/2014/07/foreign-forces-target-isil-stronghold-syrias-raqqa-activists/
View Quote

most interesting
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good read.
I think he's spot on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good read.
I think he's spot on.

He did a whole lot of typing and never mentioned Iran.

We were AQ's CAS in Libya. We did the same role in Kosovo with the KLA.

Sure we can handle the Kurdish problem.  But, in the absence of 100K troops, we will simply be strengthening a different form of islamic terrorism with a shiite flavor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sure we can handle the Kurdish problem.  But, in the absence of 100K troops, we will simply be strengthening a different form of islamic terrorism with a shiite flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good read.
I think he's spot on.

At least the Shi'ites aren't trying to commit genocide against minorities and aren't cutting people's heads off and sticking them on fence posts. There are degrees to evil,  and the Iranians are way down the list in comparison to ISIS.

If we were able to work with Stalin,  as evil as he was,  to defeat Hitler, I don't see this as any different.

Stalin and the USSR were strengthened after the war, and we ended up dealing with them for the next 50 years; many Americans died because of the Soviets and the Cold War that followed. Would we have been better off not getting involved in WW2, allowing Stalin to get crushed by Hitler (and our allies with him),  so we could avoid the Cold War?

There was no alternative,  and we don't have one today either. What you are advocating is just dumb. Allowing ISIS to form a terrorist state will end in much more American blood shed. At least the Iranians are rational and can be negotiated with... as the nuclear talks show. ISIS obviously can't be negotiated with and will not stop until dead or they reach their goals.

Your desire to bleed Iran is getting in the way of sound analysis.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to add...

While Gen. Allen didn't specifically mention Iran,  he did say:

We’ve done this before, but we must view this crisis regionally and cannot fall victim to segmented thinking, approaches and policies that leave any potential allies out of the game or give IS any safe havens or maneuver space.
View Quote

Clearly,  Iran is a potential ally in this. Their interests overlap with ours here. Working with Iran and Syria is what he was likely implying.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just to add...

Clearly,  Iran is a potential ally in this. Their interests overlap with ours here. Working with Iran and Syria is what he was likely implying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just to add...

We’ve done this before, but we must view this crisis regionally and cannot fall victim to segmented thinking, approaches and policies that leave any potential allies out of the game or give IS any safe havens or maneuver space.

Iran stated today(when I saw it) They would join in military ops if we drop nuke sanctions or something like that.
I don't have time right now to dig it up.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Iran stated today(when I saw it) They would join in military ops if we drop nuke sanctions or something like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

They already are involved militarily. There are thousands of IRGC and IRGC-QF on the ground in Iraq and Syria right now. Throwing out bs about dropping sanctions is just to play to their own domestic audience so the hardliners don't get all uppity about working with the Americans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They already are joined in. There are thousands of IRGC and IRGC-QF on the ground in Iraq and Syria right now. Throwing out bs about dropping sanctions is just to play to their own domestic audience so the hardliners don't get all uppity about working with the Americans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

They already are joined in. There are thousands of IRGC and IRGC-QF on the ground in Iraq and Syria right now. Throwing out bs about dropping sanctions is just to play to their own domestic audience so the hardliners don't get all uppity about working with the Americans.

Yes they are there but are they coordinating with us(they are running Iraqs defense) We have the same tactical goal but not strategic.

JMHO
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Carl Bildt ?@carlbildt  Aug 18
When we landed in Erbil heard that Baghdad authorities have stopped direct humanitarian relief flights to here. Unacceptable. Must change.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes they are there but are they coordinating with us(they are running Iraqs defense) We have the same tactical goal but not strategic.

JMHO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

JMHO

You notice Iran hasn't commented on the "Great Satan's" bombing campaign in Iraq in the media.  They have been awful quiet about it.

That is not by coincidence. Right now Iran is mostly involved in protecting Baghdad,  while American and Kurdish forces target ISIS in the north.

Iranian and Iraqi forces have also been clashing with IS in the Western provinces. Some American drone strikes have reportedly taken place there according to your maps you've posted. I'm sure coordination was involved,  if nothing else,  to deconflict forces and not target the wrong groups. Whether that coordination took place with the Iraqis instead of the Iranians,  who knows,  but it accomplishes the same objective.  By working with the Iraqi government you're effectively coordinating with Iran.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Iranian and Iraqi forces have also been clashing with IS in the Western provinces. Some American done strikes have reportedly taken place there according to your maps you've posted. I'm sure coordination was involved, if nothing else, to deconflict forces and not target the wrong groups.
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]
According to an article I read earlier in regards to the Mosul dam, ISOF did more of the heavy lifting then the peshmerga. Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
According to an article I read earlier in regards to the Mosul dam, ISOF did more of the heavy lifting then the peshmerga. Is there any truth to that?
View Quote

I read an article that said Iraqi SF spearheaded the fight and did most of the work. I see it as being plausible seeing how the Kurds weren't doing so hot against IS before the US bombing campaign.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#28]
What was the source of the article? Rudaw says the pesh did it Iraqi media says they did it.
The pesh did have more people in the pics on the dam.
Maybe they just have a better PR group.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Kurdish forces 'break IS hold on Mosul dam'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28826349

Troops in Iraq Rout Sunni Militants From a Key Dam
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/world/middleeast/iraq-mosul-dam.html?_r=0

Iraq Forces Retake Mosul Dam; Militants Deny Claim
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/iraq-kurdish-forces-retake-parts-largest-dam-25012211

US air strikes helping Kurdish, Iraqi forces retake Mosul dam from Islamic State
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/17/us-air-strikes-helping-kurdish-iraqi-forces-retake-mosul-dam-for-islamic-state/

And a whole lot of others
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What was the source of the article? Rudaw says the pesh did it Iraqi media says they did it.
View Quote

Reuters IIRC. I got a buddy who writes for their ME section so I can vouch for him at the very least.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I would think both

From this guy
Terry MoranVerified account
@TerryMoran
Chief Foreign Correspondent, ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/isis-loses-control-key-iraqi-dam-rare-day-25029425

Carol Malouf @carolmalouf  ·  55m
#MosulDam taken over by #Peshmerga and #Iraqi_Golden_Brigade_Special_Forces pic.twitter.com/YnFYFenVtxFrom this girl. With pics

Philanthropist. Entrepreneur. Political Communication Consultant. Lecturer in Middle East Politics. Freelance Journalist.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess it makes sense that since the Iraqi SF was trained by our SF, they are taking on the "Quiet Professionals" role and letting the Pesh take credit since Northern Iraq is the Kurds area and they need the Kurds to stay in the fight and keep their morale up.

After an hour of sporadic fire, the confrontation ended, and the convoy resumed its trip. The hundreds of Kurdish pesh merga fighters arrayed along the dam, proudly posing for photos and videos, scarcely moved. It was almost exclusively troops with the Iraqi Special Forces, at the head of the convoy, who engaged with the militants.

The pesh merga have received the majority of the credit for retaking the dam. But the Iraqi Special Forces troops who worked alongside them, who were created in the image of their American counterparts, have gotten far less attention. Known as the Golden Force, fighters interviewed Tuesday said they came from Baghdad and were called into the fight several days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/world/middleeast/in-retaking-of-iraqi-dam-evidence-of-american-impact.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I guess it makes sense that since the Iraqi SF was trained by our SF, they are taking on the "Quiet Professionals" role and letting the Pesh take credit since Northern Iraq is the Kurds area and they need the Kurds to stay in the fight and keep their morale up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/world/middleeast/in-retaking-of-iraqi-dam-evidence-of-american-impact.html?_r=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After an hour of sporadic fire, the confrontation ended, and the convoy resumed its trip. The hundreds of Kurdish pesh merga fighters arrayed along the dam, proudly posing for photos and videos, scarcely moved. It was almost exclusively troops with the Iraqi Special Forces, at the head of the convoy, who engaged with the militants.

I would think they would be better trained. Kurds are the cannon fodder, SOF does the assault.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Good pics Leroy !
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Not even thanksgiving yet.

Terry Moran ?@TerryMoran  34m
Iraq: I went to one of the Christian communities now threatened by ISIS. Here's what I found:

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#36]
It was Iran's proxy who gassed, and continues to gas, people in Syria.
It was Iran's proxy who attacked US forces with EFPs
it was Iran's proxy who blew up the Marine barracks in Beirut.
It was Iran's proxy  who blew up Khobar Towers.
Iran is ass deep in attacking American interests.  They are just too much a pussy to do it openly and they count on the amazingly stupid to not notice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just to add...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just to add...

Iran's interest is in setting up another brutal dictatorship that answers to them just like Assad in Syria.

How many dead americans from Iran's hands before we figure this shit out?

Useful idiots are useful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Iran is ass deep in attacking American interests.  They are just too much a pussy to do it openly and they count on the amazingly stupid to not notice.
View Quote

And?

Doesn't mean working with them to kill a common enemy is verboten.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is why I think the northern end(or all) of the Persian gulf will get sporty in the near in about 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Iran's interest is in setting up another brutal dictatorship that answers to them just like Assad in Syria.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

Lol. You act like I don't know the implications of working with Iran. I do and I'm ok with them. Useful idiot I am not.

I'm a realist. Allies today (when it comes to ISIS only), enemies again tomorrow. That's how it works.  

Stop wetting your pants over things that happened years ago and focus on the current threat, that would be ISIS if you needed a clue.

You can't get over the past,  even though Iran can be used today to further our interests. That just shows you have no flexibility and no strategic common sense. Sometimes you have to work with unsavory people to get the job done.

You'd make a horrible intelligence agent.

If they were solely interested in setting up another dictatorship in Iraq, they would never have abandoned Maliki's bid to stay in power.

They don't need a dictatorship to maintain wide ranging influence in Iraq.  I would have thought that would have been obvious by now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Actually, he's admitted to writing other articles in the past on CAS using the same Author name, so I can't Arock someone who already outed himself... And he also has the Author's picture as his ARFCOM profile picture (if you happen to click on Sylvan's user info and then do a google image search for the author's name). Definitely not Arock-ing or erroneous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, how long have you been a stalker?

I'll just move on.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Jon Williams @WilliamsJon  ·  52m
Hagel: #ISIS as sophisticated & well funded as anything ever seen. Beyond just a terrorist group. Beyond anything ever seen.

Final email from Jim #Foley's captors "message to US government & sheep like citizens. You & your citizens will pay price of your bombings"

Email in English claims US "given many chances to negotiate release of your people via cash transactions as other governments have accepted"
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know personally but ISOF will stack mother fuckers like cord wood if they get the chance.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lol. You act like I don't know the implications of working with Iran. I do and I'm ok with them. Useful idiot I am not.

I'm a realist. Allies today (when it comes to ISIS only), enemies again tomorrow. That's how it works.  

Stop wetting your pants over things that happened years ago and focus on the current threat, that would be ISIS if you needed a clue.

You can't get over the past,  even though Iran can be used today to further our interests. That just shows you have no flexibility and no strategic common sense. Sometimes you have to work with unsavory people to get the job done.

If they were solely interested in setting up another dictatorship in Iraq, they would never have abandoned Maliki's bid to stay in power.

They don't need a dictatorship to maintain wide ranging influence in Iraq.  I would have thought that would have been obvious by now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

The fuck you know about the real world?

I've been in it.  For over 2 decades dealing with "unsavory people"

Iran is no different than Isis.  Explain to me why cutting someone's head off is somehow more horrible than having soldiers burn alive in an EFP attack?

Your course of action is to set up another Bashir Assad.
Another Hez B'allah.
Another Sadr army.

Only now, by allying with Iran, you are going to let them have a nuclear weapon.

Do you think they call the US the "Great Satan" because we are best buddies?

Explain to me why Iran is in anyway preferrable to ISIS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Explain to me why Iran is in anyway preferrable to ISIS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sure we can handle the Kurdish problem.  But, in the absence of 100K 300-400K troops, we will simply be strengthening a different form of islamic terrorism with a shiite flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good read.
I think he's spot on.

Sure we can handle the Kurdish problem.  But, in the absence of 100K 300-400K troops, we will simply be strengthening a different form of islamic terrorism with a shiite flavor.

FIFY The last time I checked, we needed almost 200K just for Iraq. Iran and Syria were at least pretending to play nice before. For round three, I bet they ramp up their efforts, and give less fucks than before. We've shown that we won't really do anything about it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. We are better off not getting involved, than getting in bed with Iran. They hate us just as much, are more competent, and have more resources. They are the worse of the two evils in my opinion. They are just less flagrant about it.

Part of me thinks we just need another good old fashion 10 year long Iran/Iraq war. This time we can call it the Sunni-Shia war, or IS-Iran war or whatever.

I would never be on the same COP/FOB as an Iranian unit. If you think the backstabbing going on in Afghanistan is bad, try having some Iranian "allies." They will dress up as IS and raid the camp from within. I'm sure they would also provide movement times/locations and EFPs for IS to attack us.

Fuck Iran. Fuck Quds, and Fuck EFPs. We don't need Irans help, we either need them to stay the fuck out of the way, or deal with them. We need the old coalition plus Turkey, Jordan, SA, Egypt ect.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add...

You are wrong. Iran is worse for us than IS.
Page / 109
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top