Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't want it wider than the wheels, but I don't have a problem with it being wider than the tub.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You need mud grips on that trailer so it goes off road better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
duh. I overthink stuff sometimes.

Cut where the bottom angles up, then where the tabs are sticking out. Weld back together. You'd cut out about 6" on each side, and keep the shackle tabs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need mud grips on that trailer so it goes off road better.
View Quote

33" BFG MT/KM2's are in it's future, to match the Jeep (and so the spares interchange). But these have a lot of tread left on them, so I'm going to wait for the moment.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
duh. I overthink stuff sometimes.

Cut where the bottom angles up, then where the tabs are sticking out. Weld back together. You'd cut out about 6" on each side, and keep the shackle tabs.
View Quote

I measured this. The tub, outside, is 41". If I did that (I can't quite get to the shackle tabs because of the mounts on the back) I would take the bumper from 54" to 42".  I'd also lose the 2 extra mounting points I wasn't going to use anyway.

Im going to think about it. No need to do anything hasty. This weekend I'm going to do the bedliner (probably) and finish the roof. If it happens to be cool (unlikely) then I might weld up my roof rack. Work PC crashed today, won't have it back until tomorrow, and since if I'm iPhone only I can work anywhere, I decided to work at the steel yard while they cut me some 1x2x.120 Steel tubing for the roof rack.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I measured this. The tub, outside, is 41". If I did that (I can't quite get to the shackle tabs because of the mounts on the back) I would take the bumper from 54" to 42".  I'd also lose the 2 extra mounting points I wasn't going to use anyway.

Im going to think about it. No need to do anything hasty. This weekend I'm going to do the bedliner (probably) and finish the roof. If it happens to be cool (unlikely) then I might weld up my roof rack. Work PC crashed today, won't have it back until tomorrow, and since if I'm iPhone only I can work anywhere, I decided to work at the steel yard while they cut me some 1x2x.120 Steel tubing for the roof rack.
View Quote

What's a cool day there in July? 110* ?

I went to my local steel yard MOnday, asked for 1" square aluminum tube, .120 wall. 60" x 3 peices. I paid, even mentioning how cheap it was.
He goes to cut them for me, brings back steel.

Re-cut in Aluminum, wouldnt take my money. Almost $40 difference

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I went to my local steel yard MOnday, asked for 1" square aluminum tube, .120 wall. 60" x 3 peices. I paid, even mentioning how cheap it was.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, it's Monsoon season. If a storm rolls in we'll stay in the high 90's or barely into triple digits for a couple days.

The worst time of year is late June/early July, when it's 110+ because the rains haven't started. Once the monsoon starts, it's easy.

I've bought some Home Depot steel (it's soooo much closer than the yard) lately, and I'd forgotten how expensive it is. 2.5x, but it's worth it if you only need a couple feet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
More progress this morning. I bedlined the tub (2 coats) and the top, in addition to some of my garage floor.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of the roof on the trailer (just mocked up, note the distinct lack of Hinges or the back door... This was just a convenient way to get them back inside.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Then I decided to bust out the welder and build my roof racks.

Check out that handsome mug...

1x2x.120 steel tube. These suckers ain't going anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the racks going to be mounted on the lid? Or on risers above the lid?  I've seen a few peple put a rack on risers so the RTT can be raised to height, and the lid  can be opened.

Nothing to show on mine.  I have the cross bars fabbed up, front hinge mounted on the crossbar, I'll get it the hinge mounted to the bed tomorrow. I've got a couple things to experiment with first though.

Tent should be here in a week or so, I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the racks going to be mounted on the lid? Or on risers above the lid?  I've seen a few peple put a rack on risers so the RTT can be raised to height, and the lid  can be opened.

Nothing to show on mine.  I have the cross bars fabbed up, front hinge mounted on the crossbar, I'll get it the hinge mounted to the bed tomorrow. I've got a couple things to experiment with first though.

Tent should be here in a week or so, I'll be ready.
View Quote

Yeah, on the lid.

I seriously thought about doing the risers, and hell, maybe I will down the road. But it was a lot of money and time to do that, so I didn't.

I built the risers just tall enough that I can slide my (folded) Porta-bote underneath, so I can take it with me if I go places with water. Outboard would still have to go inside, but I might be able to fab something up to fix that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Never heard of this porta-bote. Now I want one!!!

How much are they?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How much are they?
View Quote

Too much, that's the problem. (3-4K new, much less used) Mine was free - the ex-in-laws bought it to carry on their camper, but never had the space and ended up leaving it at home; gave it to me. (The Ex has borrowed it ONCE since we got divorced). I named it Titanic, since the manufacturer claims it's unsinkable.

They really are as roomy as a normal boat of their size. I've had 4 in it, but more than 3 is cozy. Typical 12-footer with 3 benches.

And fairly mobile (the newer versions have a folding transom with is awesome, my is plywood and has to go in the Jeep somewhere...)

One thing they really are is fast for their size. I got it with a 6HP Nissan... and if you're light enough to get on plane, it moves pretty good (I've done it with 2 guys, but realistically my 12 footer will only plane with less than 400# aboard. So they can't be -big- guys)

That said, as mobile as they are, you've still got to fold/unfold, etc. I went looking a few years back for a small boat trailer, since most of the time I was going places with a ramp anyway... I ended up, for $300, with a second boat AND a trailer.  It's a a '64 Starcraft, and it was in terrible shape when I got it. Factory Aluminum, someone had painted Baby Blue, and then someone else had painted white over the top... a long time ago. I stripped it down and painted it Krylon Camo Green.

I named it the Deepwater Horizon, since the motor I bought for it was a 2.5 HP Nissan 2-stroke. (In reality, the 2.5 is usually on the Porta Bote and the 6 on the Starcraft, they're closer in speed that way when I've got them both out; takes a lot more to move the Aluminum boat around)

And I do take the 'fleet' out from time to time, if enough people are going somewhere:

Right now, both boats are sitting in the back yard, tarped. The Porta-bote (which hasn't been folded in a couple years) is flipped over on top of the Starcraft, a tarp over the whole affair. (I flip them as shown to go to the lake, just toss the P-B out when I get there and launch the Starcraft) But I'd like to be able to truck it along easily, because the Porta Bote is a great little lake boat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a ton of 'visible' progress. A lot of little stuff, like undercoating, etc.

I did buy some plastic tubs that fit the trailer nicely, and I got the hinges on, also. (No front latches yet, I bought some but I'm not sure I'm going to use them...)

Going to paint those hinges at some point...

And a load of the interior. 2 of those tubs are completely empty. The Propane tank is sitting in a Milk crate, and it may stay there. It fits nicely that way. There's a second prop rod that I built, too, so that I can use one per side. I may put struts in eventually, but this was cheap.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good. Definately do struts. Just a better way to go.
McMaster-Carr has a pretty good selection.

I've had only tiny steps, nothing really to see.

Made the cross members for the tent to mount on, including hinging the front one to the trailer body.

Considering the weight of the tent, and that damn geometry, it looks like the struts will cost a fortune to do what I want.

Tent should ship tomorrow, so pictures of it in a week  or so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How much are they?
View Quote

Too bad you are not in AZ I have one I am selling..lol They are really cool for what they do. I just don't have time with school and other responsibilities to do much other than shoot now and then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Great minds think alike. After failed attempts at an original I decided to build my own. I made it out of 1/8" steel sheet, cut all the pices out on a power sheer and welded it together. Almost the same design as yours.

Edit for dupe photos
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#19]
My JK really wants one of those....
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My bantam that i bought for $75:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great minds think alike. After failed attempts at an original I decided to build my own. I made it out of 1/8" steel sheet, cut all the pices out on a power sheer and welded it together. Almost the same design as yours.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/djblanco1981/jeep/DSCN0281.jpg

Edit for dupe photos
View Quote

8th picture, water tank connector?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My bantam that i bought for $75:

http://i61.tinypic.com/zxwbx1.jpg

View Quote

I hate people like you. Why can't I ever find something like that?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for sharing guys there is some really great stuff in here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for dupe photos

Yes, mounted lower then the tank to use siphon feed for running water. Once you get the water going you can turn the valve on and off and it holds the suction. 23 gal custom water tank ran about $200.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Too much, that's the problem. (3-4K new, much less used) Mine was free - the ex-in-laws bought it to carry on their camper, but never had the space and ended up leaving it at home; gave it to me. (The Ex has borrowed it ONCE since we got divorced). I named it Titanic, since the manufacturer claims it's unsinkable.

They really are as roomy as a normal boat of their size. I've had 4 in it, but more than 3 is cozy. Typical 12-footer with 3 benches.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1915250_804157415031_6193756_n.jpg

And fairly mobile (the newer versions have a folding transom with is awesome, my is plywood and has to go in the Jeep somewhere...)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/14837_804157400061_7955067_n.jpg

One thing they really are is fast for their size. I got it with a 6HP Nissan... and if you're light enough to get on plane, it moves pretty good (I've done it with 2 guys, but realistically my 12 footer will only plane with less than 400# aboard. So they can't be -big- guys)

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/14837_804222185231_5489249_n.jpg?oh=8f7c8c5c57e4070e72791f9c7341aea7&oe=54390F96

That said, as mobile as they are, you've still got to fold/unfold, etc. I went looking a few years back for a small boat trailer, since most of the time I was going places with a ramp anyway... I ended up, for $300, with a second boat AND a trailer.  It's a a '64 Starcraft, and it was in terrible shape when I got it. Factory Aluminum, someone had painted Baby Blue, and then someone else had painted white over the top... a long time ago. I stripped it down and painted it Krylon Camo Green.

I named it the Deepwater Horizon, since the motor I bought for it was a 2.5 HP Nissan 2-stroke. (In reality, the 2.5 is usually on the Porta Bote and the 6 on the Starcraft, they're closer in speed that way when I've got them both out; takes a lot more to move the Aluminum boat around)

And I do take the 'fleet' out from time to time, if enough people are going somewhere:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/481399_10102021307240981_253571565_n.jpg?oh=c0a71c23bc2998b95699fb733f6ab167&oe=545679FE&__gda__=1413986688_a1477fc6e88347f21ce33350ba43f8ef

Right now, both boats are sitting in the back yard, tarped. The Porta-bote (which hasn't been folded in a couple years) is flipped over on top of the Starcraft, a tarp over the whole affair. (I flip them as shown to go to the lake, just toss the P-B out when I get there and launch the Starcraft) But I'd like to be able to truck it along easily, because the Porta Bote is a great little lake boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much are they?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1915250_804157415031_6193756_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/14837_804157400061_7955067_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/14837_804222185231_5489249_n.jpg?oh=8f7c8c5c57e4070e72791f9c7341aea7&oe=54390F96

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/481399_10102021307240981_253571565_n.jpg?oh=c0a71c23bc2998b95699fb733f6ab167&oe=545679FE&__gda__=1413986688_a1477fc6e88347f21ce33350ba43f8ef

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn, man, that is awesome.

Assume you live down in Tucson?
View All Quotes

Yep, Tucson. Had my trailer for a few years now and have given it hell. Off road everything my stock JK can do the trailer laughs at, I really over did it on materials. On a real M-416 the tub is something like .050" sheet that's why the skin is beaded in places for strength, I went overboard with .125" sheet, it will outlast any jeep. I once hauled 5 mounted BFG mud terrains in the cargo rack and the tub literally 1/2 full of Chinese 7.62x39 in crates to Phoenix from Tucson, the JK had problems but the trailer didn't.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, mounted lower then the tank to use siphon feed for running water. Once you get the water going you can turn the valve on and off and it holds the suction. 23 gal custom water tank ran about $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for dupe photos

Very nice. Where do you have the tank mounted?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for dupe photos

It's the white thing in the front of the tub with the 2 ports in the top.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:snip
View Quote

Very cool. I like the top fill. Gives options for filling i dont have. Yet.
Pretty sure I'm going to cut a small hole in the top of my tanks for fill. Need to work out a cap first though.

And genius on the siphon drain. Another weakness in my system i need to fix. If my pump dies I can get the water out. I do have a plan to fix that though with a simple T splice and short run of hose will give me gravity feed on the right side.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, Tucson. Had my trailer for a few years now and have given it hell. Off road everything my stock JK can do the trailer laughs at, I really over did it on materials. On a real M-416 the tub is something like .050" sheet that's why the skin is beaded in places for strength, I went overboard with .125" sheet, it will outlast any jeep. I once hauled 5 mounted BFG mud terrains in the cargo rack and the tub literally 1/2 full of Chinese 7.62x39 in crates to Phoenix from Tucson, the JK had problems but the trailer didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, it looks pretty awesome. You had it up to Moab? (Was looking the other day...)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I dont know of a good place to post this but I did see some offroad trailers in the links.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/492460-cad-file-library.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice setup
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder what this could be...

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Tent time.  Still digging your build.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
You lucky rat!

Mine is somewhere between Fulton, CA and Dallas. Should be here early next week  I guess.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You lucky rat!

Mine is somewhere between Fulton, CA and Dallas. Should be here early next week  I guess.
View Quote

Yah, Tepui went out-of-stock and announced a price increase... I started calling Dealers.

Biovac camping trailers had one. Didn't pay shipping and paid the old price.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
What model did you get?  I can't wait to see it setup!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What model did you get?  I can't wait to see it setup!
View Quote

Kukenam.

I just got the roof rack on the trailer. Had to do a little paint touch-up, waiting for it to dry.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, here we go. Busy afternoon. Went to pick up the tent (Teleconference in the car on the way), brought it back, Telecon, worked on it a bit, Telecon, and finished it off.

First thing that had to be done was assemble the tent. No pics. Then I had to mount the roof rack to the trailer. There's a little wet paint in this photo.

Then it was get the neighbor and lift it up top. Here it is with the travel cover on:

Unzip the cover, pull on the ladder, and it flips open like this:

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
There are 8 rods that go in the side of the tent. Took me a minute to figure out how, I was looking at it wrong. But you put them in, and it holds up the fly and window covers:

Behind the tent you can see my poor Mercedes, which really, really wants this done so it can come back in the Garage.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's a shot of the inside. There are actually doors on both sides, so you can put stuff in that way. No difference in the two sides other than the ladder.

Now I'm gonna kick back and relax.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Very nice. Much jealous.

I will say this though, your hinges will fail just due to size.  Those tents are way too heavy for light duty hinges.
I got a piano hinge from McMaster-Carr. Full lenth hinge is much much stronger for the weight you will be puitting on it.  Also, i can pull the hinge pin out to remove the tent from the trailer easily, and it will go right back on in just a few minutes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/2948/=t5rvl4
part #  1582A271 is what I got due to 140lb tent

Also, you'll want to look through this thread now
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52933-Sure-Fire-Ways-to-Improve-Your-Roof-Top-Tent
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very nice. Much jealous.

I will say this though, your hinges will fail just due to size.  Those tents are way too heavy for light duty hinges.
I got a piano hinge from McMaster-Carr. Full lenth hinge is much much stronger for the weight you will be puitting on it.  Also, i can pull the hinge pin out to remove the tent from the trailer easily, and it will go right back on in just a few minutes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/2948/=t5rvl4
part #  1582A271 is what I got due to 140lb tent

Also, you'll want to look through this thread now
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52933-Sure-Fire-Ways-to-Improve-Your-Roof-Top-Tent
View Quote

Yeah, the whole roof probably needs to be enhanced. I'll look at those McMaster hinges. The ones I got aren't normal door hinges, they're a bit more stout than that, but they're not perfect by any means.

And I actually ordered a light strip this AM from Amazon. Runs on AA's. $6.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Came home and found someone had been in my garage:

The mounting system on the bottom of the tent is shorter that I thought it would be, so I have to do a small bit of re-planning.  It will add a small amount of work, but not really a problem. Also need to find a few more small parts to cover the sides, and rebuild the crank handle as it isnt long enough for my application.

Mock up on the trailer.

And opened.

I will get it  mounted tonight i hope
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assume this is a water level for setting up the trailer? Why didn't you just use one of the stick-on ones?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/itshere_zpsc2c5889e.jpg

The mounting system on the bottom of the tent is shorter that I thought it would be, so I have to do a small bit of re-planning.  It will add a small amount of work, but not really a problem. Also need to find a few more small parts to cover the sides, and rebuild the crank handle as it isnt long enough for my application.

Mock up on the trailer.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/on_zps525bb898.jpg

And opened.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/mockup_zpsbfd7083c.jpg

View Quote

Crazy that both our RTT's got in the within a couple days of each other.

Looks great. Which width did you get?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I assume this is a water level for setting up the trailer? Why didn't you just use one of the stick-on ones?

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Pretty sure that's just where he stores his connection to his water tank.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I got the medium, which is 57" OAW. Interior is maybe 1/2 less. Well built from what I can see so far. Darn shame I have to drill some holes in it to get it mounted how I want. Such is life.

More progress in the next few days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/itshere_zpsc2c5889e.jpg

Mock up on the trailer.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/on_zps525bb898.jpg

And opened.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Monte_Christo/mockup_zpsbfd7083c.jpg

Which model is that?

$2900-6000

View Quote

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top