Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 116
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Um it doesn't matter because there are no laws any more.  Only the ever fickle and dynamic interpretations of laws.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So they basically have crafted themselves into syntactically mutually-exclusive scenarios when it comes to NFA weapons and unincorporated trusts?  They cannot simultaneously hold that a trust is not a person and then deny that non-person entity the authority to manufacture a new machinegun on a Form 1.

The problem with this is that if, through some miraculous alignment of the planets they allowed this to follow to its logical end and quietly allow trusts to manufacture new machineguns, the window of opportunity to accomplish this will likely be measured in days or weeks until some clarifying rule is put into place or legislation snuck through.  

View Quote

This is exactly what I am thinking.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
TAG
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They probably will, but if a trust is a person in the revised opinion they will have to perform some other mental gymnastics to require the NICS check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy S***!

Yeah, it is a technicality, but the point is valid.

However, can the ATF simply reverse its opinion about what a person is on a whim -- if it decides that the outcome of one position is less desirable than the other?

Yes, the letter is just an advisory opinion.  BATFE can, and has, rescinded opinions provided in them.

They probably will, but if a trust is a person in the revised opinion they will have to perform some other mental gymnastics to require the NICS check.

And I think the ATF has been eating their own dog food for so long that the judiciary has begun asking questions about how they collectively support their position with the law.  You can see some of the logic cracks in their PGO non-NFA shotgun 'firearm', the Sig Brace, the muzzle break ruling and subsequent challenge by Sig on identical grounds.  When an organization gets down in the weeds with semantics, minutiae, and technicalities, I can't believe it has taken this long for the citizenry to start looking at things the same way.

They are being hoisted by their own petard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Holy S***!

View Quote

Technical, like "if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit"?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no reason not to fill out the paper work.

Just like a SBR send off for the stamp get the stamp build the gun.

The worse they could do is take your $200 and say no.

Because a lower is simi lower still a simi lower till its been drilled and milled.

and if some paper pusher approves it?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy S***!

More like "You can't have your cake and eat it, too."

They have to decide if unincorporated trusts are "persons" or not.  Either position has implications.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
They're making this shit up as they go.  They'll keep making this shit up as they go.

Which means they'll make up a new rule when it comes to their attention that their previous one was stupid and bit them in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Either way, I am really looking forward to Nola's commentary on this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you guys realize how fucking absurd it is you have to fill out forms and send paperwork off to a government organization so you can do something with an object?
View Quote

Your car?  And yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Alright. Who's going to submit a Form 1?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a stretch

It's not.  Just like a trust, corporations aren't "people" either.

Alright. Who's going to submit a Form 1?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Mine's going out tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, you're the first one to ever think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you guys realize how fucking absurd it is you have to fill out forms and send paperwork off to a government organization so you can do something with an object?

No, you're the first one to ever think about that.

lmao
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem with this is that if, through some miraculous alignment of the planets they allowed this to follow to its logical end and quietly allow trusts to manufacture new machineguns, the window of opportunity to accomplish this will likely be measured in days or weeks until some clarifying rule is put into place or legislation snuck through.  

View Quote

And that is why I'll be printing up a couple Form 1's this weekend.
Anyone know what an HK auto-sear/sear pack form 1 looks like?

What do we have to lose?  I'm already on their list.  I suspect you are as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
To make sure I understand the implications...

BATFE ruled Trusts as a non-person... so the human picking up the NFA item on behalf of the Trust need to have a NICS check done on them.

If BATFE ruled a Trust to be a person... the human picking up the NFA item on behalf of the Trust would NOT need a NICS check done.

Since the BATFE ruled a trust as a non-person... the prohibition in 922(o) of the GCA on a 'person' manufacturing or possessing a post-86 machine gun
does not apply to trusts.

Do I have this quagmire right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To make sure I understand the implications...

BATFE ruled Trusts as a non-person... so the human picking up the NFA item on behalf of the Trust need to have a NICS check done on them.If BATFE ruled a Trust to be a person... the human picking up the NFA item on behalf of the Trust would NOT need a NICS check done.Since the BATFE ruled a trust as a non-person... the prohibition in 922(o) of the GCA on a 'person' manufacturing or possessing a post-86 machine gundoes not apply to trusts.

Do I have this quagmire right?
View Quote

Pretty much the same thing I am getting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What do we have to lose?  I'm already on their list.  I suspect you are as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me?  Why?  Just because I have a form 1'd live frag grenade?  I am not opposed to poking the bear :-)
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So your married too ehh?

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
So in this case, straw purchases are ok.

Got it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm thinking this is a pipe dream.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Got it.

View Quote

I suppose only if an unincorporated trust can be classified as a prohibited person, but they ruled it is a nonperson, and I don't think there is such a thing as a prohibited nonperson.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I suppose only if an unincorporated trust can be classified as a prohibited person, but they ruled it is a nonperson, and I don't think there is such a thing as a prohibited nonperson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

I'm sure the BATFE can do the mental gymnastics to make it so...
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I will just sit back and watch the fun...
Having a trust I would love to F1 a lower into a MG.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

However, can the ATF simply reverse its opinion about what a person is on a whim -- if it decides that the outcome of one position is less desirable than the other?
View Quote

ATF can reverse their opinion on anything any time they want, and can throw the book at you even if they gave that first opinion to you in writing.

The written law doesn't really mean anything anymore.   This is only about what they think they can get away with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Stranger things have happened.

I grew up thinking that the 94 AWB will get renewed and life will never be the same.

here we are today.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is no reason not to fill out the paper work.

Just like a SBR send off for the stamp get the stamp build the gun.

The worse they could do is take your $200 and say no.

Because a lower is simi lower still a simi lower till its been drilled and milled.

and if some paper pusher approves it?  
View Quote

What is a "simi lower?"
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Made in Simi, CA.....north of Santa Rosa  or  Simi Valley, CA near LA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hasn't there been some "special" cases where people were allowed to register new machine guns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF probably did this knowingly so they could backdoor machine guns onto the registry for liberal elites.

Hasn't there been some "special" cases where people were allowed to register new machine guns?

GWB has saddams G18 and said he had fun shooting it at the ranch. Think about that for a moment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So they basically have crafted themselves into syntactically mutually-exclusive scenarios when it comes to NFA weapons and unincorporated trusts?  They cannot simultaneously hold that a trust is not a person and then deny that non-person entity the authority to manufacture a new machinegun on a Form 1.

View Quote

Ha. This is the .gov we're talking about. What's more, it's the ATF.

For your consideration, a link.

Oh, and...

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Words have consequences.

Kharn

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You first
View Quote

What are you scared of?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They're making this shit up as they go.  They'll keep making this shit up as they go.

Which means they'll make up a new rule when it comes to their attention that their previous one was stupid and bit them in the ass.
View Quote

Yup, or fire the bitch ,and the next person "correct" it'

As far as the story in the OP. I think this has something to do with it  "the trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check". I assume the paper/trust won't be making the guns. You send off for the check/approval to make a MG, and it gets kicked back. What it sounds like to me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#33]
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The way it reads to me "people" are able to make machine guns while trusts may not be allowed to.

Or am I reading something wrong?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#34]
There is no good sane reason an American can't buy a new manufacture machine gun

And dont take that to mean people cant own the old ones...

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#35]
In for the results
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#36]

If ATf was smart they'd allow it. Job security.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#37]
/filling out Form 1.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Sure, they'll approve the transfer to the trust, then charge the trustee with possessing an unregistered machinegun when he picks it up.  Because a person has to pick up the machinegun, not the piece of paper that is the trust.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF probably did this knowingly so they could backdoor machine guns onto the registry for liberal elites.

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tempted to form 1 one of my AR lowers as an MG tomorrow.
View Quote

That may be the only way to honestly find out....but don't worry, they will change it real quick.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As far as the story in the OP. I think this has something to do with it  "the trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check". I assume the paper/trust won't be making the guns. You send off for the check/approval to make a MG, and it gets kicked back. What it sounds like to me anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figure out a way a trust can make a machine gun. Or make my dog a trustee and train him how to drill holes as my dog is not a person.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sure, they'll approve the transfer to the trust, then charge the trustee with possessing an unregistered machinegun when he picks it up.  Because a person has to pick up the machinegun, not the piece of paper that is the trust.
View Quote

Won't work that way.  Any person listed on the trust is part of the trust.  The legal nightmare the ATF has jumped into with this is mind blowing.  The more I think about it and the more I realize that ATF hasn't looked at some very important court cases and Federal law.... well folks, they done fucked up in a major way.  Will the ban be nullified?  I'd say there is a 20-30% chance.  I'm not going to go into detail until I have a chance to talk to a few people but I think this also is going to do severe damage on a few other fronts in the firearms field that is going to make ATF cringe bad.  The libtards are going to be screaming bloody murder over this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bloomberg, Soros, Gates, Buffett, et al,  would spend every penny they ever had to keep that from ever happening.

It's the world we live in now.
View Quote

And I'm okay with that.   It's not like it's going to happen anyway.   Let those fuckholes spend their money fighting something like this, rather than issues where they actually stand a chance of infringing on our rights.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#47]
When I read this last night, I was tempted to send in a Form 1 on a homemade full auto just to see what would happen.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's a stretch
View Quote

technically, its the "letter of the law"... but not the intent of the law... or maybe case law?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Won't work that way.  Any person listed on the trust is part of the trust.  The legal nightmare the ATF has jumped into with this is mind blowing.  The more I think about it and the more I realize that ATF hasn't looked at some very important court cases and Federal law.... well folks, they done fucked up in a major way.  Will the ban be nullified?  I'd say there is a 20-30% chance.  I'm not going to go into detail until I have a chance to talk to a few people but I think this also is going to do severe damage on a few other fronts in the firearms field that is going to make ATF cringe bad.  The libtards are going to be screaming bloody murder over this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard_Rock, I'm always interested to read your posts and we've chatted privately as well. However, over the years I've read a lot of big things from you but never actually seen anything even peek from it. With all your inside perspective is there any thing you might be able to share with us?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But is the person acting in a trust considered a person or a trust?

That's the technicality.

If a trustee is considered a trust what other cases can support this?
Page / 116
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top