Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 116
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If anyone in MS files and is rejected, please contact me.
View Quote

Did shit just get real, yo?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Neva gonna happen
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hasn't there been some "special" cases where people were allowed to register new machine guns?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF probably did this knowingly so they could backdoor machine guns onto the registry for liberal elites.

Hasn't there been some "special" cases where people were allowed to register new machine guns?

Charlie Wilson brought back a Krinkov from afghanastan and was allowed to keep it on a form 10
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't believe I'm saying this.....but I almost wish I lived in MS now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's a stretch
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a cover letter I typed up for anyone interested in submitting any Form 1s.

I think I covered everything, but I'm not a lawyer, so if any of you legal types want to chime in and add/edit anything, feel free.

Also, the cover letter references the ATF letter to Brandon Maddox, so it would be in your best interest to print a copy of it and send it in with this cover letter.

PDF of ATF letter

Attention: NFA Examiner
National Firearms Branch
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
244 Needy Road, Suite 1250
Martinsburg, WV 25405

According to the Firearms Industry Programs Branch letter dated March 17, 2014 to Brandon Maddox of BMaddox Enterprises LLC, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) holds that unincorporated trusts are not “persons” as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a) and the Gun Control Act (GCA).

18 U.S. Code § 921(a) provides:

(1) The term “person” and the term “whoever” include any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company.

ATF further clarifies the character of the law by stating the following in the letter to Mr. Maddox:

"ATF has interpreted the GCA exception in sections 922(t)(3)(B) and 478.102(d)(2) to mean that firearms transfers are exempt from a NICS check when they have been approved under the NFA to the person receiving the firearm.  Unlike individuals, corporations, partnerships, and associations; unincorporated trusts do not fall within the definition of “person” in the GCA."

Since ATF holds that an unincorporated trust is not a “person” under the GCA,  the prohibition on the transfer or possession of machineguns as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(1) and 18 U.S. Code § 922(o) cannot apply to unincorporated trusts.

18 U.S. Code § 922(o) provides:

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to–
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

Therefore, included with this letter is an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (ATF Form 1 (5320.1)) and the appropriate accompanying documents, in order to register and pay the applicable tax on the manufacture a machinegun, as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(23) and 26 U.S. Code § 5845(b), on behalf of (((TRUST NAME))) Trust.

Sincerely,

(((NAME))) , Trustee

(((TRUST NAME))) Trust

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Since when does ATF have to operate within their stated opinion letters?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is relevant to my interests...  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would be cool, but it's not going to happen.

And besides, their logic is that a trust could manufacture a new machine gun. How the hell does a trust do that?  It doesn't.
You manufacture a machine gun and put it into the trust and you were the one that illegally manufactured it, not the trust.
View Quote

Is there anyway to get a trust with opposable thumbs?

I'd be willing to pay a little more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And besides, their logic is that a trust could manufacture a new machine gun. How the hell does a trust do that?  It doesn't.
You manufacture a machine gun and put it into the trust and you were the one that illegally manufactured it, not the trust.

Transfer yourself as an individual from social security number to trust name?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Following your logic a trust can't form 1 any NFA item, as the person would have to form 1 the item then form 4 the item to the trust.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your dog could certainly be trained to hit the "GO" button on a CNC. Just sayin'...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're making this shit up as they go.  They'll keep making this shit up as they go.

Which means they'll make up a new rule when it comes to their attention that their previous one was stupid and bit them in the ass.

Yup, or fire the bitch ,and the next person "correct" it'

As far as the story in the OP. I think this has something to do with it  "the trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check". I assume the paper/trust won't be making the guns. You send off for the check/approval to make a MG, and it gets kicked back. What it sounds like to me anyway.

Figure out a way a trust can make a machine gun. Or make my dog a trustee and train him how to drill holes as my dog is not a person.

Your dog could certainly be trained to hit the "GO" button on a CNC. Just sayin'...

How hard would it be to get a chimp? They could do more than hit go...
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No. 922(o) applies to a person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if it was a corporation.

You'd be doing work in the corporation's name and for the benefit of the corporation.

I can work for Colt and build M4's with the fun switch all day in full compliance of the law.

You would still be violating 922(o) UNLESS your possession were covered under one of the exceptions...

Specifically, the under authority of government exception.

No. 922(o) applies to a person.

And entities act through... persons.

922(o) has 2 exceptions allowing PERSONS to possess evil-baby-killing-death-black-machineguns

under authority of gov (aka Colt entity and it's individuals while acting on behalf of that entity)

or

pre-1986
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
IANAL, so I defer to the folks who are when they say the ATF done screwed up, but I'm definitely parsing that response differently.  This seems to be the crucial sentence:

Thus, when an FFL transfers an NFA firearm to a trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust, the transfer is made to this person as an individual (i.e., not as a trust).

And this is the quoted law:

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.

(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

So the mental calisthenics are basically saying that the NFA transfer somehow goes FFL --> Individual Person --> Trust.

This to me would seem more likely to open the door to requiring CLEO signoff on all NFA items/dismantling trust ownership of firearms than to open the door for new machineguns.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
They'd close the trust "loophole" before allowing any new machineguns in their enemies hands.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They'd close the trust "loophole" before allowing any new machineguns in their enemies hands.
View Quote
What's funny is any entity filing a form 1 could just as easily make a machinegun without permission.  It's only our law abiding honesty that prevents it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's funny is any entity filing a form 1 could just as easily make a machinegun without permission.  It's only our law abiding honesty that prevents it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are far more MGs off of the NFA registry than on it, would be my guess.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Now my interest is piqued!  This is a tag
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a general rule of thumb is around 10% compliance with registration of pretty much anything
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also guess that the number of SBRs and SBSs off registry would be astronomical compared to the MG numbers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron_Paul.gif
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IANAL, so I defer to the folks who are when they say the ATF done screwed up, but I'm definitely parsing that response differently.  This seems to be the crucial sentence:

Thus, when an FFL transfers an NFA firearm to a trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust, the transfer is made to this person as an individual (i.e., not as a trust).
And this is the quoted law:

So the mental calisthenics are basically saying that the NFA transfer somehow goes FFL --> Individual Person --> Trust.

This to me would seem more likely to open the door to requiring CLEO signoff on all NFA items/dismantling trust ownership of firearms than to open the door for new machineguns.

View Quote

That may seem like the case for transfers (Form 4), but it may not be as clean cut for manufacturing (Form 1)
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a lawyer or involved in the legal profession. In US V. Stewart in 2003, a case that I provided some layman research for, the 9th Circuit ruled that homemade machine guns didn't affect commerce and thus were not illegal under the FOPA. That opened the flood gates for for folks filing Form 1's for new MG's. It didn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things because BATF appealed the 9th's ruling to SCOTUS and sat on the applications until a ruling was handed down in Gonzales v. Raich. The  9th was asked to reconsider Stewart and use Raich as guidance and the 9th's original ruling was subsequently vacated.

File all the Form 1 MG applications you want, there isn't any harm in doing so and you will get your money back eventually. It' just helps bring to light the absurdity of some of the rulings. The end result ultimately may not be favorable but at least there will be clarification. And who knows, we might all get lucky one day as a result of one of their slip-ups.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is almost comical, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The BATFE illegally ran guns into another country to make American gun owners look bad and encourage gun control, they do what the fuck they want.

Cut me a cheque for $200 and I will tell you to go to hell too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How soon is your form 1 going out?  My trust's went out today

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel free to use my cover letter if you send any more
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer or involved in the legal profession. In US V. Stewart in 2003, a case that I provided some layman research for, the 9th Circuit ruled that homemade machine guns didn't affect commerce and thus were not illegal under the FOPA. That opened the flood gates for for folks filing Form 1's for new MG's. It didn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things because BATF appealed the 9th's ruling to SCOTUS and sat on the applications until a ruling was handed down in Gonzales v. Raich. The  9th was asked to reconsider Stewart and use Raich as guidance and the 9th's original ruling was subsequently vacated.

File all the Form 1 MG applications you want, there isn't any harm in doing so and you will get your money back eventually. It' just helps bring to light the absurdity of some of the rulings. The end result ultimately may not be favorable but at least there will be clarification. And who knows, we might all get lucky one day as a result of one of their slip-ups.  
View Quote

Good thing the court ruled against that evil dope.   What a win for us.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you cant make this shit up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
This isn't going to work. The human being who "possesses" the post-86 machinegun is still in violation. Just like the human being who picks up the NFA item on behalf of a trust now has to be NICS'ed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This isn't going to work. The human being who "possesses" the post-86 machinegun is still in violation. Just like the human being who picks up the NFA item on behalf of a trust now has to be NICS'ed.
View Quote

Then I guess all the "human beings" in the Department of Defense, Department of State, State and Local Police forces are in violation of the '86 ban.

The logic does not apply if there is a Form 1 submitted by a Trust.  After the Form 1 approval, any physical labor preformed in assembling the new MG would be treated no differently than you cleaning your suppressor or adding a different stock to your SBR.

With respect to Form 1s, THE TRUST is the applicant, not the Trustee.

I could see how your logic could make it to where Form 4 transfers would be in jeopardy, but with a Form 1, there is no point-of-sale and there is no "transfer".

ETA:  When you pick up a can on a Form 4 transfer, you are the transferee, and you then assign the newly acquired property to the trust.

With a Form 1, the application is made by the trust, and the item exists solely within the trust.  No transfer takes place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then I guess all the "human beings" in the Department of Defense, Department of State, State and Local Police forces are in violation of the '86 ban.

The logic does not apply if there is a Form 1 submitted by a Trust.  After the Form 1 approval, any physical labor preformed in assembling the new MG would be treated no differently than you cleaning your suppressor or adding a different stock to your SBR.

I could see how your logic could make it to where Form 4 transfers would be in jeopardy, but with a Form 1, there is no point-of-sale and there is no "transfer".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of which changes the simple fact that there is still 1) possession 2) by a person 3) of a post-86 machinegun. The whole point of this recent letter from the ATF is that for GCA purposes, the human being is the transferee. That's why the NICS check is required. And likewise, the human being is a possessor of the machinegun even if you adopt the position that the trust is the "maker" of it.

You have not read the government exception carefully enough. What it says is " a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof." The human beings who possess the machinegun in their official capacity do so under the authority of that governmental agency.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Section 2A addresses possession under the approval of the state.  It could be argued that once a form 1 is approved, their is possession under approval from the .gov agency no matter who the possessor is.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

None of which changes the simple fact that there is still 1) possession 2) by a person 3) of a post-86 machinegun. The whole point of this recent letter from the ATF is that for GCA purposes, the human being is the transferee. That's why the NICS check is required. And likewise, the human being is a possessor of the machinegun even if you adopt the position that the trust is the "maker" of it.

You have not read the government exception carefully enough. What it says is " a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof." The human beings who possess the machinegun in their official capacity do so under the authority of that governmental agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you pick up a can, SBR, MG, etc on a Form 4 transfer, you are the transferee, and you then assign the newly acquired property to the trust.

With a Form 1, the application is made by the trust, and the item exists solely within the trust. No transfer takes place.

ETA: The same logic can be applied to trusts
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When you pick up a can, SBR, MG, etc on a Form 4 transfer, you are the transferee, and you then assign the newly acquired property to the trust.

With a Form 1, the application is made by the trust, and the item exists solely within the trust. No transfer takes place.
View Quote

Which would be a great argument if 922(o) only spoke of transfers, and did not prohibit POSSESSION.

Read the Code.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No it can't. There is no exception to 922(o) that makes possession of post-86 MGs legal for any human representatives of any non-governmental entity.

Again, read the fucking Code.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I like the cut of your jib, Sir.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And I think the ATF has been eating their own dog food for so long that the judiciary has begun asking questions about how they collectively support their position with the law.  You can see some of the logic cracks in their PGO non-NFA shotgun 'firearm', the Sig Brace, the muzzle break ruling and subsequent challenge by Sig on identical grounds.  When an organization gets down in the weeds with semantics, minutiae, and technicalities, I can't believe it has taken this long for the citizenry to start looking at things the same way.

They are being hoisted by their own petard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy S***!

Yeah, it is a technicality, but the point is valid.

However, can the ATF simply reverse its opinion about what a person is on a whim -- if it decides that the outcome of one position is less desirable than the other?

Yes, the letter is just an advisory opinion.  BATFE can, and has, rescinded opinions provided in them.

They probably will, but if a trust is a person in the revised opinion they will have to perform some other mental gymnastics to require the NICS check.

And I think the ATF has been eating their own dog food for so long that the judiciary has begun asking questions about how they collectively support their position with the law.  You can see some of the logic cracks in their PGO non-NFA shotgun 'firearm', the Sig Brace, the muzzle break ruling and subsequent challenge by Sig on identical grounds.  When an organization gets down in the weeds with semantics, minutiae, and technicalities, I can't believe it has taken this long for the citizenry to start looking at things the same way.

They are being hoisted by their own petard.

Fucking good.

When their rulings are arbitrary and make zero logical sense, they become nothing more than "This is how I'm going to justify something because I don't like it."    Fuck them.  I hope this opens the door to unfettered machine gun ownership across the boards.  Fuck, I'll form a trust for the sake of owning another one.   And not because I need a fucking bullet hose, but because the ATF sucks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No it can't. There is no exception to 922(o) that makes possession of post-86 MGs legal for any human representatives of any non-governmental entity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn't.  It prohibits possession by "persons".  

"Persons" are defined by the GCA as "any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company"

It specifically does not state trusts, which is what brings this whole question to light.

My posts referring to transfers were replies to your posts regarding the same.  Calm down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"Persons" are defined by the GCA as "any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company"

It specifically does not state trusts, which is what brings this whole question to light.

My posts referring to transfers were replies to your posts regarding the same.  Calm down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you understand how 922(o) works.

Even if an entity owns the machinegun, the machinegun can only be possessed by actual individuals.  Such possession is only allowed for "under authority of Gov" and pre-1986 machineguns.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't a question. Are you (human being) a "person?" Are you holding or otherwise exercising dominion and control over a machinegun made or imported after May 19, 1986? If yes and you're not doing so under authority of a government agency, then you're in violation of 922(o) regardless of who made or owns the MG, and regardless of whether any transfer is involved.

In the world of interpreting statutes, something I get paid to do regularly, this is an easy one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

God speed, Nolo!

Quoted:
It's a bad interpretation. A trust can own a post 86 gun but no trustee can possess it. Since a trustee must take possession in the transfer it's effectively impossible.

I had an odd thought regarding this. Lets assume for a moment that you're not acting as the proxy or agent of the trust in the purchase or manufacture, but must privately take possession/manufacture first before transferring it onto the trust...

Could you not have a friendly (and trustworthy) SOT FFL make the MG, add that FFL holding corporation as a trustee, have them put it on the trust, and then remove them as a trustee?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's a bad interpretation. A trust can own a post 86 gun but no trustee can possess it. Since a trustee must take possession in the transfer it's effectively impossible.
View Quote

This is precisely the issue. Even if we indulge the notion that trust can make a MG on paper, no human being can actually possess it and there's no way around that because of 922(o).
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There isn't a question. Are you (human being) a "person?" Are you holding or otherwise exercising dominion and control over a machinegun made or imported after May 19, 1986? If yes and you're not doing so under authority of a government agency, then you're in violation of 922(o) regardless of who made or owns the MG, and regardless of whether any transfer is involved.

In the world of interpreting statutes, something I get paid to do regularly, this is an easy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then explain Dealer Samples to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Possessed by a dealer under the authority of a government agency in the form of a formal demo request letter from the agency.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Possessed by a dealer under the authority of a government agency in the form of a formal demo request letter from the agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was easy.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That was easy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was easy.

There's a lot of softballs in this thread. Complete non-issues for those who haven't fallen and can't reach their code books.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was illegal to possess an unregistered machinegun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#50]
If nothing else, it seems it would be legal to transfer a pre sample to a trust because the pre sample was legally possessed before 1986.
Page / 116
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top