Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 116
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some are busy deleting emails and scratching hard drives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what the NFA examiners are thinking as they are apparently seeing more and more F1 machineguns coming at them......

I would imagine something along the lines of "oh shit.....this cant be good"

Some are probably annoyed. Denying these forms is extra work.

Some are probably (quietly) rooting for us.

Some are probably wondering if they will end up having to testify and what that will entail, and what effect it will have on their jobs and careers.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if some are actively reading and/or posting in this thread (and I do not mean xm15).

Some are busy deleting emails and scratching hard drives.

"Hello, IRS?   How do I get rid of info as successfully as you?"
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you are in Texas and your Form 1 was denied (or approved), contact Ted Cruz and his office will make an inquiry.
View Quote

Sweet.  Hey Undefined, do you have any connections to one of our representatives that may do the same?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sweet.  Hey Undefined, do you have any connections to one of our representatives that may do the same?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are in Texas and your Form 1 was denied (or approved), contact Ted Cruz and his office will make an inquiry.

I am no longer on speaking terms with my representative since he walked out of the conference room and refused to hear testimony from the families of those killed on 9/11 in Benghazi.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
OST.

I should have posted 30 pages ago. This is a once in a lifetime chance to see history live

I don't know what the future holds, but I am (barely) patiently waiting for news, updates, and the next step.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think most of us on the pessimistic side tend to agree, but we also like to remain somewhat grounded.  The odds of this changing are long indeed, despite what all of us might want.

But it seems as though if any of us says anything other than " 'Merica!  Freedom!  We're gonna knock those libs for a loop!  Fuck 'em!" we're branded a complete defeatist.  And it's worse if you actually have machine guns...then you're branded an elitist top 1%er that doesn't want to see change, hates freedom, and wants to keep the average citizen down.

I really don't care.  Im a total pessimist about this campaign.  I support it, but I just simply don't see anything changing despite everyone's gung-ho attitude.  You read enough legal decisions like I have and you come to the conclusion that most of the time, the government gets what it wants.

So be noble all you want.  Wave the flag, scream "shall not be infringed," and cite the Constitution.  And if you must, go ahead and call me a defeatist as well.  I think of myself more as a realist.  And the reality I see is that there is a less than 5% chance that we get what we want, no matter how much money or time you throw at it.
View Quote

5% is pretty optimistic! I'm excited about this and want to support it, but I don't even think it's that high!

I do agree that there are too many people counting their chickens before they hatch. Obviously we would all form 1 every rifle (even bolt action) we had, but that's like talking about what we are going to do with out lottery winnings before we buy a ticket.

I do wonder if this will impact MG prices if it gets to court, with speculation that 922(o) might be overturned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Any more details on this?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well. Is Cruz's office getting involved, or was whomper just suggesting it since Cruz is (usually, sometimes, often, take your pick) seen as being on our side?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm curious as well. Is Cruz's office getting involved, or was whomper just suggesting it since Cruz is (usually, sometimes, often, take your pick) seen as being on our side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I contacted Cruz's office a long time ago about the 41p blowup. All I got was a chain email telling me about how he is standing up for gunowners post Sandy Hook and would I like to donate to his cause. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I talked to a lady this morning that handles ATF issues for constituents. While I have not applied yet, she said that they will make an inquiry when I do get denied.

I've found his office to be the most responsive out of all my reps.

And hey are very familiar with DOJ shenanigans.

ETA:

ATTN: Brenda Davis - DOJ/BATFE

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do wonder if this will impact MG prices if it gets to court, with speculation that 922(o) might be overturned.
View Quote

I was wondering along the same lines this morning, sort of. My thought is, say this happens and MGs become more prevalent, weather through trusts being allowed to file, or by dissolution of all NFA laws, what will become of ammo? I could see another shortage like we've seen recently happening, but instead of only adding another shift to try to keep up, perhaps new ammo factories will open up if the demand for ammo rises and keeps at a steadily higher level. And just maybe some more common MG food such as 30-06, .308, and really stretching .50, would come down in price due to increased demand....

One can hope no?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With all due respect, this is America. It's a place where the people don't give a shit what their chances of winning are. When we see an opportunity we take it. You want to waive the flag before the battle starts, then by all means have at it, but don't be surprised when you are standing alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think most of us on the pessimistic side tend to agree, but we also like to remain somewhat grounded.  The odds of this changing are long indeed, despite what all of us might want.

But it seems as though if any of us says anything other than " 'Merica!  Freedom!  We're gonna knock those libs for a loop!  Fuck 'em!" we're branded a complete defeatist.  And it's worse if you actually have machine guns...then you're branded an elitist top 1%er that doesn't want to see change, hates freedom, and wants to keep the average citizen down.

I really don't care.  Im a total pessimist about this campaign.  I support it, but I just simply don't see anything changing despite everyone's gung-ho attitude.  You read enough legal decisions like I have and you come to the conclusion that most of the time, the government gets what it wants.

So be noble all you want.  Wave the flag, scream "shall not be infringed," and cite the Constitution.  And if you must, go ahead and call me a defeatist as well.  I think of myself more as a realist.  And the reality I see is that there is a less than 5% chance that we get what we want, no matter how much money or time you throw at it.

With all due respect, this is America. It's a place where the people don't give a shit what their chances of winning are. When we see an opportunity we take it. You want to waive the flag before the battle starts, then by all means have at it, but don't be surprised when you are standing alone.

Except the opportunity has to be weighed against all the possible outcomes, based on likelihood of each, etc.

Perhaps my 5% number was too generous.  Let's say there's a 1% chance this can be pulled off.  That means 99% of the time we fail.

But not only that, we risk what we already have.  A cheap $200 tax in the grand scheme of things, access to all these weapons (there hasn't been an outright ban on transfers), trusts are still legit NFA entities, etc.

If you poke he bear, he might give in and give up his cave so you have shelter (your big prize).  It's far more likely the bear turns around and rips your face off.  And then while you're lying there seconds from death, he shits on your chest for the hell of it.

So 1) we lose a fight we are almost guaranteed to lose, 2) throw the spotlight on the NFA, 3) 41p is enacted from internal pressure, 4) congress acts and raises the tax on NFA items because it's a cheap compromise to most.

And then we'll all be bitching in a few years about how we can't use trusts anymore to circumvent the CLEO stuff, that the new $1000 NFA tax has wiped out the suppressor and SBR markets, and machine guns remain the same inflated prices or can no longer be transferred.  All so that we can poke a bear for our 1% chance he'll give up the prize.

Pessimistic/defeatist me wonders if it's worth it.  Now wave your flags and scream freedom and respond about how this is America and we fight no matter the odds, etc.  You'll all be bitching if this backfires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I talked to a lady this morning that handles ATF issues for constituents. While I have not applied yet, she said that they will make an inquiry when I do get denied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I doubt it will go anywhere.... Cruz has ambition to become president, and fighting the NFA costs political capital and raises little, except among people who would likely already vote for him in both the primary and the general election.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Interesting. I doubt it will go anywhere.... Cruz has ambition to become president, and fighting the NFA costs political capital and raises little, except among people who would likely already vote for him in both the primary and the general election.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

But we all know he's not a fan of Holder's DOJ.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Except the opportunity has to be weighed against all the possible outcomes, based on likelihood of each, etc.

Perhaps my 5% number was too generous.  Let's say there's a 1% chance this can be pulled off.  That means 99% of the time we fail.

But not only that, we risk what we already have.  A cheap $200 tax in the grand scheme of things, access to all these weapons (there hasn't been an outright ban on transfers), trusts are still legit NFA entities, etc.

If you poke he bear, he might give in and give up his cave so you have shelter (your big prize).  It's far more likely the bear turns around and rips your face off.  And then while you're lying there seconds from death, he shits on your chest for the hell of it.

So 1) we lose a fight we are almost guaranteed to lose, 2) throw the spotlight on the NFA, 3) 41p is enacted from internal pressure, 4) congress acts and raises the tax on NFA items because it's a cheap compromise to most.

And then we'll all be bitching in a few years about how we can't use trusts anymore to circumvent the CLEO stuff, that the new $1000 NFA tax has wiped out the suppressor and SBR markets, and machine guns remain the same inflated prices or can no longer be transferred.  All so that we can poke a bear for our 1% chance he'll give up the prize.

Pessimistic/defeatist me wonders if it's worth it.  Now wave your flags and scream freedom and respond about how this is America and we fight no matter the odds, etc.  You'll all be bitching if this backfires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you are a real riot at parties.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha

Look, I don't like raining on the parade.  Consider arguing the other side as part of my job, nothing personal
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rational position and question, in my opinion.  But what happens if we don't make our move - and they slam 41p down our throats anyway?  What if they say we can use trusts but every trustee must have a background check AND there must be CLEO signoff?  Do you think the ATF will back off of that if we agree that "no one needs to know about this little indiscretion?"  How much bitching will there be about "if only?"  

I admit I believe in doing what I believe to be the right thing regardless of cost or odds of victory.  It's not chest-thumping, it's my nature and I recognize that it's not necessarily the always best choice or the natural course for everyone.  In other words, I recognize my bias.  But you are talking about attempting to negotiate with - frankly, appease - an entity that has shown us no mercy, done us no favors and is already planning to screw us again.  What indicators do you have that they would change any of that simply because we chose not to exploit a temporary window of minor vulnerability?  If we're going to be crushed anyway, why not at least try to leave a scar so they remember that we fought?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Haha

Look, I don't like raining on the parade.  Consider arguing the other side as part of my job, nothing personal
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
#2 in the works
View Quote

I hope you mean "Client #2" or "Lawsuit #2", as opposed to turning this thread into the one thing Arfcom prohibits more than BATFE does machine guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope you mean "Client #2" or "Lawsuit #2", as opposed to turning this thread into the one thing Arfcom prohibits more than BATFE does machine guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
#2 in the works

lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two things jump out at me about your concerns.

First, you neglect to mention the case where we do nothing - at which point we are still in a cave with a dangerous bear, which may wake up and go bezerk on our ass at any moment. That is no way for a free people to live.

Second, we are the bear. We outnumber them. We support them monetarily through our taxes. We are the ones who are sleeping, while a trespasser tiptoes through our home and steals what is rightfully ours.

In the recent past we've had Heller and Macdonald. The Second has been recognized as an individual right, and it has been incorporated against the several states. We're in the process of overturning "may issue", and I expect to see that happen in the next 2-3 years.

We are the bear, and we are stirring from our long slumber. The trespasser who seeks to deprive us of what is ours had best be wary; now is his opportunity to quietly back away. The bear will awaken at some point, and my sincere hope is that it's soon enough that it need not maul anyone when it does.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your position assumes the status quo will always remain, and that the bear will not come out of it's cave looking to rape us because we happen to be there, and he's horny from sleeping all winter.

It will not.  The people who oppose the 2nd Amendment have never stopped.  They've taken breaks and horded political capital when it was pointless to spend, and we're currently in one of those periods, but they've never yielded.

We can't either.  It's the nature of human society to forever be in transition of what is or is not acceptable.  If we are not moving forward, we most assuredly are moving backward.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Infringement on gun rights is like infringement on trademark. We must fight it. Every time. Every place it happens. New infringement and old alike.

There will never be a compromise that is acceptable to both sides.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
#2 in the works

Lawsuit.

Without giving too much away...

Are either of them filed yet? Same legal strategy / argument for each or different? Same status/class of plaintiff?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
#2 in the works

Lawsuit.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
#2 in the works

Lawsuit.

Oh, good.  I was afraid that maybe you'd had a really rough night and ate too much Taco Bell or something...  

On a serious note, thank you for your time and efforts in all of this!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I will be sending in a Form1 on Tuesday... and here is the opposite of what I would usually ask: How quickly can I expect to get denied?  

I'm torn between sending in the 'old' version of the Form1 by mail to have a paper trail (postmarks, tangible documents and cancelled check) and doing the E-file - which uses the "suddenly revised" Form1 which will leave me with an email and a credit card receipt.

My biggest concern is that the new E-file form1 has a change which may be used as a defense against the future denials. I'm not sure what they have up their sleeve but the timing stinks like rotten fish.

BUT - if I send it via mail/ FedEx... I risk them suspending all form1 trust submissions while it is enroute. Would it be considered "submitted" when the check is cashed?

My desire at this point is to have the ability to be included in a class, should it ever reach that level of litigation.

I know this is clear as mud... but if you can follow me - I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
#2 in the works
View Quote

Does this translate to "shit is in the works?"

Or a second something is happening?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

#2 in the works

Lawsuit.

These go anywhere and we'll put a word in to the Vatican to have you Sainted.

Not even joking. Nolo, patron Saint of Full Auto Happiness.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Disapproved
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Woah, I better be careful or that double tap could be classified as a MG
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Update added to OP:

According to NoloContendere,  at least 2 lawsuits are in the works already.

Keep your heads high everyone, the ball is rolling.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update added to OP:

According to NoloContendere,  at least 2 lawsuits have been filed already.

View Quote

Have they actually been filed?

<---- Not in a position to search on PACER at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update added to OP:

According to NoloContendere,  at least 2 lawsuits have been filed already.

My bust, changed the wording to "in the works"

My reading comprehension is broken today
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I contacted Cruz's office a long time ago about the 41p blowup. All I got was a chain email telling me about how he is standing up for gunowners post Sandy Hook and would I like to donate to his cause. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, the arfcom membership is a wide and deep pool of pretty much every profession there is. Surely we have among our ranks at least ONE person who can run and win a campaign for office, either Senate or House. And once in, can advance our causes, up to and including inserting favorable riders into bills (especially the bills nobody reads before they pass!).

Maybe in a state like Arizona, with a senile old bastard like McCain, who has been too long suckling at Obama's teat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

#2 in the works

Lawsuit.
You're a good man, NOLO.  I can't wait to send you money.  Because I assume you've already got guns and lawyers.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You know, the arfcom membership is a wide and deep pool of pretty much every profession there is. Surely we have among our ranks at least ONE person who can run and win a campaign for office, either Senate or House. And once in, can advance our causes, up to and including inserting favorable riders into bills (especially the bills nobody reads before they pass!).

Maybe in a state like Arizona, with a senile old bastard like McCain, who has been too long suckling at Obama's teat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All we need is a little "922 (o) is repealed the date this takes effect" plugged deep into some legislation that "must be passed".

I'm surprised that not one republican has tried it with something like the ACA or the government shutdown.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All we need is a little "922 (o) is repealed the date this takes effect" plugged deep into some legislation that "must be passed".

I'm surprised that not one republican has tried it with something like the ACA or the government shutdown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, that would have been the perfect time. NFA probably wasn't/isn't on the radar of even Tea Party congressmen. I think it's going to take us either converting one, or better yet getting one of our own into office.

Nolo seems like a pretty good candidate. Wonder how the political landscape looks in Mississippi, and if there are any vulnerable incumbents there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're going for the sneak attack, why not hit all of 922 with a hammer?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Me too, that would have been the perfect time. NFA probably wasn't/isn't on the radar of even Tea Party congressmen. I think it's going to take us either converting one, or better yet getting one of our own into office.

Nolo seems like a pretty good candidate. Wonder how the political landscape looks in Mississippi, and if there are any vulnerable incumbents there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this notion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, that's why I'm not a lawyer or politician

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#44]
If you were going to do multiple paper form 1s, would you send them all on the same day or space them out a week at a time?

Just, uh, out of curiousity.  A friend of mine wants to know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

True, that's why I'm not a lawyer or politician

View Quote

If any politician put that into legislation deep down inside someone would find it and his/her political career would be over. The ignorant masses hear "machine guns legal" and go nuts. IF it happened it would have to be a politician who is about to retire, or does not mind never getting elected again.

The American people as a whole are net ready for this yet, as far as they know machine guns are illegal for anyone to own!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you were going to do multiple paper form 1s, would you send them all on the same day or space them out a week at a time?

View Quote

I wouldn't do more than one.

If you're trying to be considered a member of a class, one is all it takes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Space them out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If any politician put that into legislation deep down inside someone would find it and his/her political career would be over. The ignorant masses hear "machine guns legal" and go nuts. IF it happened it would have to be a politician who is about to retire, or does not mind never getting elected again.

The American people as a whole are net ready for this yet, as far as they know machine guns are illegal for anyone to own!
View Quote

You are right. The American public doesn't seem to know what to make of machine guns. They see them on TV, they see shows like Guntucky or Sons of Guns and see collectors with them, but they still think they are illegal. Much of the American public thinks a machine gun is anything that looks like a machine gun, regardless of full auto capability or not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

We need someone to fall on the sword for the greater good.

Or yeah, like you said, hit it befors they retire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of 2 that I have been trying to talk into at least going into state politics for years, they want no part of it.
Page / 116
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top