Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:32 PM EDT
Getting married in the fall and I have Verizon while the fiancee has AT&T.  Figure we are gonna combine our accounts to see if we can save some money.  What says the hive?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Straight Talk....half the price.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
If you must choose one of those Verizon is the best. But as the previous post states... Straight Talk. Uses the same towers and half the cost.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Dump both corporate scam "plans" and pay as you go with Straight Talk or any of the other same type services.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it unlimited data or "Unlimited Data"?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on your area. Verizon is better in my area, but when I was in Florida it was spotty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It really depends on your area. Verizon is better in my area, but when I was in Florida it was spotty.
View Quote

This. Choose the flavor of evil that has better coverage for where you are.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Another vote for best coverage.  Here in the PNW it is Verizon by a good margin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From their website

*30 day Unlimited Plans include 3 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 3 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is redeemed at the end of the 30 day plan cycle. Other limitations, terms and conditions of service apply. Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate your service for unauthorized or abnormal usage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm assuming you're talking about cell phones.

AT&T uses GSM technology (SIM cards) while Verizon does not. This is very important if you want to use your cell phones outside the country by swapping in local SIM cards.

Personally, I use T Mobile for my cell phones and Verizon (FIOS) for my land line (including Internet).

Full disclosure: I own stock in both AT&T and Verizon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Where I am, AT&T's coverage sucks, and Verizon's doesn't.

Your mileage may vary.

Whichever you choose, use Straight Talk or some other reseller and save a ton.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

I'm on the edge of decent coverage with Verizon as it is . . . I'd go with Straight Talk if I lived in the Southern part of the state , but not out here in the boonies

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd say as a rule of thumb, Verizon has the better network, but AT&T is no slouch.

As has been mentioned, look at your area and the places you go to most often.  4G LTE speeds can be drastically different based on location too.

For example, I get about 20Mbps on LTE at home, while only about 3-4MBPS while in the city.  I don't really need 20Mbps at home as I'm on WiFi...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Get better coverage in remote areas with verizion than sprint or AT&T
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you're talking about cell phones.

AT&T uses GSM technology (SIM cards) while Verizon does not. This is very important if you want to use your cell phones outside the country by swapping in local SIM cards.

Personally, I use T Mobile for my cell phones and Verizon (FIOS) for my land line (including Internet).

Full disclosure: I own stock in both AT&T and Verizon.
View Quote

Verizon uses SIM cards now.  Their phones are still locked down though so you can't use them with another carrier.  I thought AT&T did the same thing though (locked down that is).
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#17]
My mom is on straight talk with verizon network but hates the phone options they had. I looked into bringing your own phone but it seems like it's mostly AT&T network phones that work.

Can anyone suggest a good android phone that works on the verizon network straight talk plans?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
If you've got Verizon hardware, you're going to need to sign up with PagePlus Cellular and not StraightTalk.

Verizon. Sprint, and PagePlus are all on CDMA networks. (Code Division Multiple Access) AT&T, T-Mobile, and StraightTalk are all on GSM (Global System Mobile).

The hardwares are not cross-compatible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you've got Verizon hardware, you're going to need to sign up with PagePlus Cellular and not StraightTalk.

Verizon. Sprint, and PagePlus are all on CDMA networks. (Code Division Multiple Access) AT&T, T-Mobile, and StraightTalk are all on GSM (Global System Mobile).

View Quote

That's not true. My mom is on straight talk and has a CDMA phone.

Look here:

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/sims

click on "I have a CDMA phone".

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Look here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look here:

Well I'll be darned...I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Neither. I wouldn't give AT&T another dime of my money for any reason and I just saved half my phone bill by switching to Virgin Mobile. They lease space on Sprint's towers, so the coverage is similar to Sprint's, but you don't have to deal with Sprint's crappy service and I'm paying $30/month for 300 minutes and unlimited messaging/data (it's truly unlimited, but they throttle your speed if you use more than 2.5GB/month). I got tired of Verizon's games and ridiculous monthly charges. The last straw was them pushing my "new every two" date out another two months with literally no notice and right when the iPhone 5S came out. My wife is under contract until December and I can't wait to switch her phone. I'm paying $90/month just for her phone!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Verizon uses SIM cards now. Their phones are still locked down though so you can't use them with another carrier. I thought AT&T did the same thing though (locked down that is).
View Quote

They typically give you an unlock code after you've been with them for a certain time (a year?).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top