Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
I am 44 yrs old .....pack a day since..18-ish.  I REALLY NEED to quit smoking....
Prob. is, I still somewhat enjoy it.  Under a great amount of stress, it helps {or I think it does}

I am SICK of being short breathed.....tired of morning cough. {although some is from spring pollen}
Tired of spending the $$.
Tired of being a slave to these damned things.

How did you quit? I DON'T want to depend on a drug or patch {whatever those stop smoking drugs are}

Although not a "dipper" I do dip at work since I can't smoke....just can't/don't wanna be a full time dipper either

My 2 "fears" are the morning {wake-up smoke, after meal smoke...and beer drinking smoke. In my head I HAVE to have one the MOST during these
moments  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I just switched to vaping.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Chewed nicotine gum.  It sucked when my kids mentioned smoking to me.  I realized at that point I had to give it up.  Pack a day for 28 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Like a man, I just stopped smoking. After twenty years of almost two packs a day.

Any other path is for women.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I took up smoking cigars.  Not good or fancy ones but cheap little cigarillos.
Started with 2 or 3 swisher sweets a day and now I enjoy one Backwoods Sweet Aromatic a day as a wind down reward at the end of the day.
Can't even stand the smell of cigarettes on other people anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just stopped a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to a vapor shop, they have litterally hundreds of flavors, with varying nicotine levels. You could get yourself a setup with the e-juice to step yourself down in nicotine levels to 0 and that would make it easy. Plus you still get the feeling of smoking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the lozenges and quit smoking almost 4 years ago.

It was hard to do for a few months. Now I can't even be around smokers, they fucking stink.

A lot of what it takes is pure will power.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
E-Cig
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad was a smoker. He threw his smokes in the trash one day and never smoked another. No pills, patches, etc in the 60s... just trash cans.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I started at 17. 33 years later driving home from work I had one cigarette in the pack and needed to stop for another pack. I've been aiming to stop that pack for the last two years. I just said no more.

I did at last, for about 6 months. roll my own 90% of the time, I believe that helped because I wasn't putting the Phillip Morris chemicals in my system.

Will I smoke again, I don't know, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold turkey.  Quit about 6-7 years ago now. Don't be a puss. Make up your mind and do et.  The secret? (You have to want to quit.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Patches and rechargeable Logic ecigs for the first 3 weeks.  Dropped the patches, continued with the ecigs.  It ain't perfect, but I haven't had a real cigarette in 6 months or so.  I like the ecigs (menthol type, though I never smoked Menthols).  I wish I didn't do the ecigs, but it's a hell of alot better than smoking Marlboros.  

I couldn't smoke a real cigarette at this point.  The smell nauseates me and I smoked on and off for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to a vapor shop, they have litterally hundreds of flavors, with varying nicotine levels. You could get yourself a setup with the e-juice to step yourself down in nicotine levels to 0 and that would make it easy. Plus you still get the feeling of smoking.
View Quote

Thought about that, but I don't want to get "addicted" to spending $ on those either to fake myself out.....
Thinking about just cold turkey, but will admit....I am "weak" when it comes to that    hate being a
fucking slave......

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a bad upper respiratory infection, didnt feel like smoking.  Infection went away never started back.

Its been 3 yrs
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#17]
FPNI

Heavy smoker here.... just started vaping.

Not a bad bridge at all. I still smoke cigs, but I'm way - way down from 1.5 packs a day.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to you will, adding another stupid habit to get over another is worthless.
Or wait until you have Cancer and wish you would have quit sooner.
which way sounds smart to you? If I can do it any one can. 1 year down and was 13 when I started and Im 50 now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Cold Turkey.  Admittedly I wasn't a heavy smoker, only about 1/2 a pack a day for approximately 4 years.  Had no problem.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I quit when I was 25 and had been smoking since highschool.  Pack and a half a day.  I just stopped.  It was getting too expensive.  It sucked for a little while but I didn't want to use any other weird shit to help me quit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I am 44 yrs old .....pack a day since..18-ish.  I REALLY NEED to quit smoking....

Prob. is, I still somewhat enjoy it.  Under a great amount of stress, it helps {or I think it does}

I am SICK of being short breathed.....tired of morning cough. {although some is from spring pollen}

How did you quit? I DON'T want to depend on a drug or patch {whatever those stop smoking drugs are}

Although not a "dipper" I do dip at work since I can't smoke....just can't/don't wanna be a full time dipper either

My 2 "fears" are the morning {wake-up smoke, after meal smoke...and beer drinking smoke. In my head I HAVE to have one the MOST during these

moments  
View Quote

Here's what I did, posted in the vaper's den:

I
set up a deal with my wife, I was smoking 2 packs a day.  That was
roughly $11/day.  When I decided to to quit via e-cigs I set up 2 new
bank accounts.  One was for my hobby stuff at $5/day and one was for her
use at $6/day.  I WAS spending that much money smoking.

I quit cold turkey with e-cig help.  I'm almost 3 weeks in and I only
miss a real cigarette once or twice a day.  I can live with that.

I bought my first one many months ago but they started me on 24mg
nicotine.  It was WAY too strong and I just stopped because I was
spending the day light headed and went back to smoking.  A few weeks ago
I tried again with 16mg and was good.  Did 16 for a week and have been
at 12 for the last couple.

I'm a simple e-cig user, just have off the shelf stuff from the local vape shops but it is working for me.

I get frustrated when shit stops working so make sure to have spares.  
For me, that means complete setups because I'm not a modder and this
isn't a hobby.

I didn't start with the cheapest setup, I paid ~$45 for each.  They're
nothing great in this forum but they are working for me.  Give it a try
at the $45-50 pricepoint.  If you're 1/2 inclined, it WILL work for you.

Get your liquid at Mt Baker, local places are rip offs.

BTW, quitting smoking bought me Wilson 1911.  E-Cigs are helping me pay for it.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I decided I wanted to quit. I used the healing process as motivation to keep it up.

Every day you feel a little bit better. Breathe easier, smell better, taste better and believe it or not, less stressed.

Then before I knew it, I didn't even want one. It's easy as just not picking one up, the hard part is realizing that.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Smoked for 38 years, loved it, never had negative effects that were noticible. Woke up and decided it was time to stop. Chantix worked, made it easy to quit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I quit hundreds of times ... the last time was in 1966.

Cold turkey, man up and just fuckin' do it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Snuss.
View Quote

Tried that when I was out of dip at work...stuff was

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

moments  
View Quote
In 2012, I was 46. I quit a 1 pack a day +/- 30 year habit (I quit when pregnant and nursing) by putting out a butt and never lighting up again---I was short of breath a LOT.

I still crave them.

Almost every damn day.

I gained 7 pounds (not too awful) and then I got cancer (unrelated to smoking).

I have spent the last 11 months dealing with that...

And ya know what? Chemo and radiation kinda suck...so I won't be smoking again anytime soon.

Cancer.

It's expensive (even with insurance).

It's no fun (at all, ever)

It can kill you.

Besides, now that I am smoke-free, I smell better and I breathe better.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I was early 20's and already couldn't breath.  
Got pissed off and just tore up a whole carton and threw them in the trash.  Figured if I could waste that much money I could quit.
Wasn't easy, all my friends smoked and I bummed a lot if we were drinking but I never bought any more.  Got to where I could hang out with them and not smoke.
20 plus years later and not smoking, I cant even stand the smell now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

moments  
View Quote

I switched to an all-tobacco cigarette and this cut me back from 2 packs a day to 1 pack every three days, then cold turkey.  I smoked for about 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Cold Turkey is the only way. I quit by stopping in the middle of the day. Sleep that night helped with the time of not smoking. First full day is tough but most usually make it past this one. It is the second day that most people fail. Everything happens and stresses you out. Your mind says screw it and just smoke a cig... This is when you have to be the most strong just say no. Third day is better and by the 4th day.. 96 hours is when the nicotine is gone from your body. Then all you have to do is say no whenever you get a crave and never smoke again. I did without alcohol, coffee and soft drinks for a good 3 weeks. Only water and juice. Lots of water....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Cigarette smoking has two parts: the addiction part and the habit part.

For the nicotine addiction part I cut down to ten cigarettes per day, then stopped completely and used the Nicoderm patches. Worked like a charm. Never had any nicotine withdrawal whatsoever. Ten years ago and haven't wanted a cigarette since.

The habit part is constantly having to stick something in your mouth. I used sugar free Lifesavers, cough drops, things like that for the oral fixation aspect of it. This part is similar to people who bite their fingernails. They're not "addicted" to their fingernails, but some people find it very hard to break the habit.

Cold turkey is the worst way to do it. I don't recall the failure rate, but it's over 90%. We're talking about your life here, and how not to die of cancer. Use some sort of medication or aid. Use anything. Use everything. If you really want to stop you'll find something that works. Hell, some people use hypnosis. If it works and keeps you alive, then I'd say that's money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't had a cigarette in a little over ten months. Up until then I smoked a pack a day for 22 years.

I bet I had tried to  quit a thousand times. Tried everything.  I really wanted to quit cold turkey.

The hardest part for me was after a meal. I still think about them every day.

Prayer and my faith in Christ is what is getting me through it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quit cold turkey 2 years ago. Used to get cravings when I drank or being around other smokers, but I pushed through it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched my mom die from cancer. Visiting the cancer ward at the hospital is pretty good inspiration. I eventually quit cold turkey a year or so later.

If you quit and go back don't look at it as a failure: Look at it as a partial victory. If you quit for a week and go back, then you have proven that you can quit for a week. Next attempt might be 2 or 3 weeks. Look at quitting, even if it is only temporary, as a success and work you way up.

I finally stayed off cigarettes by exercising.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I went to a hypnotist. After the dog and pony show was over and I was getting ready to leave, the hypnotist said the following to me: "You are now a former smoker. You cannot smoke. If you ever have the first cigarette, you will be a smoker again."

Those words stuck with me more than anything that happened during the hypnotism. I was determined to never smoke "the first cigarette." That determination got me through a lot of tough times. It was about two years later that I had a "D'oh!" moment. I realized that as long as I never had "the first cigarette" I would never have the second or third or the 20th in the pack. You can't ever be a smoker again if you don't have the first one.

Now, 25 years later, those words still come back to me if I happen to see a pack of cigarettes lying around and some little evil voice in my head says "you could smoke one of those." No. I can't. I can't have the first one.

That's my story . . .

Good luck. Man up. Don't have the first one!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I got sick with the flu. Was in bed for a week and the last thing I wanted was a cigarette.

When I got better, I thought to myself "why start, you're already a week into quitting"

It sounds like mentally you're there and that's half the battle. You have to want to quit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Snuss.
View Quote

I used snuss, vapor, and the pill....

Quit about 4 years ago..

Just started vapor again...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Cold turkey ! I was a rotten mutrfkr for a few weeks , but it was worth it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Think I am going to test the waters this weekend. I am fine getting my fix with one dip every couple of hours
at work, I am not really a good dipper...I have swallowed some, gagged/puked     but get my "fix"

I don't think I ever could be a full time dipper, I am going to try and NOT have a smoke this weekend and
when it get's bad, have a dip. My can of grizzly last usually all week, and I end up throwing some away because
it get's too dry.

Feel like I need to "prep" myself to quit. which sucks.....my mind is already fucking with me saying no  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I quit pretty much cold turkey 3 years ago when I started a new job - working with liquid oxygen - flammable -  much better to not be smoking around.

1 year ago at  Thanksgiving I had a cigarette, and before I knew it I was back up to pack a day.
I kind of wanted to quit again, since I knew how much better  it was without it but didn't want to go cold turkey.

I decided to try to quit again about Feb this year.

I bought a disposable e-cigarette for $10 - I really didn't want to invest in a real setup.
I started waiting longer and longer for my first smoke of the day, and took a few puffs of the e-cig when I wanted to cheat.
The waiting was the key for me - I knew as soon as I had my first smoke I was going to need another one soon.  Wait till driving to work.  Then wait till my first delivery stop.  Then wait till lunch.  Eventually I would only bring a couple smokes to work with me to make sure I couldn't cheat.

Ran out of smokes, didn't want to buy a whole pack, eventually just had the e-cig.
Eventually didn't even need that.  I think it's still on the counter, probably has some more hits left.

It really helped that I wasn't hardcore addicted - I could always go without if I needed to.
Also helped that I didn't really enjoy the taste of the e-cig.  It got me through, but wasn't nearly as satisfying as a Marlboro Light.

Worked for me - its been 3 months now.  I still get the urge, and I know I would enjoy it, but I don't want to smoke anymore.
Hope this helps -  God it sounds like a goddamn AA meeting...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#43]
If you pay me $50, Ill come over and punch you in the face each time you think about wanting to smoke.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a vape pen kit off Ebay,  35 bucks.  I bought 4 or 5 flavors of ejuice, 25 bucks.  This was around Thanksgiving 2013.   I liked the smoke part of smoking.  The vape pen loaded up with spearmint ejuice did the trick.  I haven't had a real cigarette since then.  The spearmint smoke satisfies my urge to smoke.

Once you have a vape device you like, and figure out which ejuice works for you, ( the sweet, candy and fruity flavors got old quick for my tastes), it can be dramatically cheaper than smoking was.   I missed a real smoke the first day or two, like you.  In the morning, or with coffee.  When you don't have smokes on hand, and just have the vape pen, it is easier to get over the real smoking.

Good luck, you will quit if you want to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife quit Feb 17th after smoking 40 years. She had an MI that left her with 30% cardiac ejection factor and insufficient lung capacity to walk more than 75 yards without resting. You too will quit someday whether you want to or not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Same as how I started. Like a man.

Cold turkey.

My girlfriend got bronchitis and pneumonia and she didn't smoke for a week while sick. I told her she made it through the toughest part and she didn't pick it back up. I stopped the following week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Sunflower seeds.

And dip.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I quit many times. Was never able to get past a weekend. I quit again, was able to get past the weekend and never smoked again.  36 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I smoked 2or3 packs of Camel non filters a day for 20 some years and quit using acupuncture. It really helped with the withdrawal symptoms. Haven't smoked in 22 years now .
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#50]
going to bed.....after a smoke  

I am sure I will smoke when I get up at 05:30 tomorrow, will get a can of dip when I stop by the store and going to
try the day to day thing.....will report back after work. May have to skip the beer this weekend though  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top