BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand all the "So what", " Don't give a damn" people!
A cheat is a cheat!! Be it in a business or  personal life. Yeah, those
people didn't change the outcome of who won, but would you want
to create joinder and deal with them and not think they may be cheating
you????  
View Quote

Being a bandit doesn't mean you are a cheater.  

Some people do it just to run a legit marathon course, they go around the finish chute and clock their time on their watch.

Everyone once in a while I would jump in a local 5k for a Saturday tempo run when I was in college.  Clocked my time with some people to run with, went around the chute, left the bananas and gatorade for everyone who paid and went and did an easy 5mi cool down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys know that South Park about the libs who were so smug they enjoyed smelling their own farts.   I get the sense from this thread a lot of "serious" runners are like that.

Fully 1/5 of those "real" bibs go to folks who get in through charities, sponsors, marketing folks, consultants, and being "connected" to the right city officials. All without qualifying.

Save the outrage over the fake bibs, and aim it at the ass hat organizers that pass over real legit runners so the mayor's chief of staff can get his wife into the race.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No shit, who fucking cares?  They wanted to run a few yards and take a cool selfie, or they wanted to pound out 26.2 for the fuck of it?  Zero shits given either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care-o-meter.........zero
Bread and circuses.

No shit, who fucking cares?  They wanted to run a few yards and take a cool selfie, or they wanted to pound out 26.2 for the fuck of it?  Zero shits given either way.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is the Indy 500 more elite than a random race at Phoenix Raceway?  Yes.
View Quote

Absurd.  

Indy 500 is like the Olympics.

Boston is like some race that they let 15,000 people qualify for.

Elite runners run USATF, World Cross Country, World Champs, Commonwealth Games, Olympics.   Fat lazy Americans trudge along for 26.2 miles and then run their suck about what an elite athlete they are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sneaking in is akin to buying a bunch of medals and an old Army uniform, wearing it around, and bragging about it on FB.  Think Stolen Valor...
View Quote

I think pretending that merely finishing a marathon is some sort of huge accomplishment is the mark of a supreme douche.  

Even so, it doesn't even being to compare to someone who fakes military service.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never told this to anyone before, but one year I put on a rainbow colored tie-dye shirt and walked a few blocks in a gay pride parade.

The thing is, I'm almost certain I'm not gay

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never told this to anyone before, but one year I put on a rainbow colored tie-dye shirt and walked a few blocks in a gay pride parade.

View Quote

That's pretty much akin to stolen valor.  Just ask any of the runners in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Lot of old fat people who think exercise is a waste of time in here...

The most I've ever run in 8 miles, it's not easy. I can't imagine running for 26 miles, although I may try to some day. And it's not just running that distance, it's doing it fast enough for HOURS that makes it a challenge. So you can run 1 mile pretty fast? 2 miles? That's nothing. A lot of guys have been able to fake being in good shape by putting down 2 solid miles for a PT test.

Quoted:
Fat lazy Americans trudge along for 26.2 miles and then run their suck about what an elite athlete they are.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure NO one would be considered fat and lazy who can qualify for the BM based on time.  It's not like they just roll out of bed and run it without doing any training.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's just called running a marathon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The most I've ever run in 8 miles, it's not easy. I can't imagine running for 26 miles, although I may try to some day. And it's not just running that distance, it's doing it fast enough for HOURS that makes it a challenge. So you can run 1 mile pretty fast? 2 miles? That's nothing. A lot of guys have been able to fake being in good shape by putting down 2 solid miles for a PT test.

I'm pretty sure NO one would be considered fat and lazy who can qualify for the BM based on time.  It's not like they just roll out of bed and run it without doing any training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fat lazy Americans trudge along for 26.2 miles and then run their suck about what an elite athlete they are.

Qualifying for the Boston Marathon does not make a person an 'elite runner'.  It's very similar to the 'tough mudder' phenomenon.

Hooray for all those incredible, amazing athletes.  You know,,, the ones who passed up all the opportunities in HS and College to actually compete in Track and Field or Cross Country.  I am really impressed that they ran through a mud pit and climbed a net.

Oh WOW!  You ran a marathon in only 3:30.  Holy shit... tell everyone at the water cooler so they can all come blow you.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Qualifying for the Boston Marathon does not make a person an 'elite runner'.  It's very similar to the 'tough mudder' phenomenon.

Hooray for all those incredible, amazing athletes.  You know,,, the ones who passed up all the opportunities in HS and College to actually compete in Track and Field or Cross Country.  I am really impressed that they ran through a mud pit and climbed a net.

Oh WOW!  You ran a marathon in only 3:30.  Holy shit... tell everyone at the water cooler so they can all come blow you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what makes an elite runner?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
THE POINT.  Is that all the white knights getting bent out of shape about a few race bandits are .

I contend that all the people who make a big fucking ruckuss about 'THE MARATHON' steal more valor from elite level marathoners than any race bandit can steal from the weekend warrior who walk/jogs a marathon in 4 hours so they can brag about what an athlete they are.

If you don't know who Ryan Hall or Haile Gebrselassie is, you probably shouldn't get your panties in a twist about what people do in a marathon.  Marathons have become more of a social event than a sporting event.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
THE POINT.  Is that all the white knights getting bent out of shape about a few race bandits are .

I contend that all the people who make a big fucking ruckuss about 'THE MARATHON' steal more valor from elite level marathoners than any race bandit can steal from the weekend warrior who walk/jogs a marathon in 4 hours so they can brag about what an athlete they are.

If you don't know who Ryan Hall or Haile Gebrselassie is, you probably shouldn't get your panties in a twist about what people do in a marathon.  Marathons have become more of a social event than a sporting event.
View Quote

So what makes an elite runner?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Winning the Boston marathon or, I don't know, winning an Olympic medal?

Finishing 15, 768th is comparable to the "we don't keep score, everyone gets a trophy here.  they are all winners" mentality.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Elite accomplishments.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Winning the Boston marathon or, I don't know, winning an Olympic medal?

Finishing 15, 768th is comparable to the "we don't keep score, everyone gets a trophy here.  they are all winners" mentality.
View Quote

Fucking THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost as bad as the people thieving the merchandise after the bombing last year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't read through all 4 pages to get here (TL;DR)

disclaimer: not saying what these people did is right or okay,.....

but what about the timing chip each legitimate runner has?  I'm willing to bet that even the BM
has this as I've been on some really small, insignificant 5k's that had 'em.

the rightful owner of the bib number has a chip that is associated with it.  the poseurs
just ran, the official time belongs to the correct runner.  

there is the issue of the photos.. that should be easy to work though.

this isn't as big of a deal as I think is being made about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Almost as bad as the people thieving the merchandise after the bombing last year.
View Quote
Really?  

These people are just running, not trying to steal anyone's glory. All my fucks have been committed elsewhere, I have none left to give.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]
So there are less than 100 elite runners in the US probably. We won 29 medals in 2012 total and not all of those would be from running. Add in a couple Boston marathon runners and whatever ex runners that are still alive and that's not a big group of people at all.

Guess that's why they are called elite
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm amused at how outraged they are.

I'm also curious as to why exactly they think this year's marathon is sacred? Were they thinking that the marathon would be cancelled forever after the bombings or is it out of genuine respect for the people killed/injured there?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Really?    

These people are just running, not trying to steal anyone's glory. All my fucks have been committed elsewhere, I have none left to give.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?    

I was trying to be sarcastic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?    

Is that what smilies are for? I was thinking this guy takes his running seriously!  All good  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So there are less than 100 elite runners in the US probably. We won 29 medals in 2012 total and not all of those would be from running. Add in a couple Boston marathon runners and whatever ex runners that are still alive and that's not a big group of people at all.

Guess that's why they are called elite
View Quote

On a global stage?  Well less than 100 active runners.  More if you count retired legitimate studs like Jim Ryun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wow WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Boston Wrong!

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How old are you?

At my age, I'd have to run a qualifying marathon in the three-hour range in order to qualify for the BM on time.  

I'm not talking about people running for charity, or with some other admission criteria... I'm talking about simply making it on your times.  

The BM is not an entry-level running event.  Trust me on this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the BM not open to anyone who wants to run it?  

No.  The BM is an elite running event... just qualifying is an achievement.

36,000 participated. About 9,000 of them did it for charity. Not all are "elite."

How old are you?

At my age, I'd have to run a qualifying marathon in the three-hour range in order to qualify for the BM on time.  

I'm not talking about people running for charity, or with some other admission criteria... I'm talking about simply making it on your times.  

The BM is not an entry-level running event.  Trust me on this one.

The point being you don't have to qualify to run it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Don't care.

Scratch that, I find it hilarious that it has pissed off so many runners.

I fully support the fake marathon runners future endeavors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You do if you want to actually do it as a runner... and not by making a big charity donation.  I'd be interested to see how many people here have actually qualified for it, and/or run it... and their times.

As for it not being an "elite" running event, let's look at numbers.

The Boston is one of only a half-dozen races in the Marathon Majors.  A worldwide series that includes Chicago, London, Berlin, Tokyo.  It attracts world-class athletes from all over the world.  

Out of a nation of 300 million people, there are maybe a half-million marathon finishers in the US per year...  that's people who merely FINISH the 26.2 mile course.   Average times are about four-and-a-half hours.   It's considered a major milestone for non-pro/competitive runners to crack 4:00:00 in their marathon.  

Now shave roughly 1:00:00 to 1:30:00 off that time, and that's what you need to qualify for Boston (depending on age).  That's the difference between a 10:18 mile split, and a 6:52 mile split.  There are damned few people who, not being regular runners, can lay down a 6-minute-range mile split for a 26.2-mile course... and those who could even attempt it have an incredible genetic gift.  In other words, you have to train for that.  

I know all posters here have chiseled physiques, bang supermodels, drive Ferraris, etc... but all bullsh*t aside, I'd like to see the marathon times of the ARFcommers who are so bad-ass that a qualifying time for Boston is just a walk in the park.  If those ARFcommers do exist, I guarantee they're life-long, competitive runners... who should know better than to talk down a run time that the VAST majority of our population (or even the vast majority of runners) will never achieve.  

And if they actually are that arrogant?  Just wait... and talk to them when they're my age, and getting grey... then we'll see if that 3-hour marathon is no big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point being you don't have to qualify to run it.

You do if you want to actually do it as a runner... and not by making a big charity donation.  I'd be interested to see how many people here have actually qualified for it, and/or run it... and their times.

As for it not being an "elite" running event, let's look at numbers.

The Boston is one of only a half-dozen races in the Marathon Majors.  A worldwide series that includes Chicago, London, Berlin, Tokyo.  It attracts world-class athletes from all over the world.  

Out of a nation of 300 million people, there are maybe a half-million marathon finishers in the US per year...  that's people who merely FINISH the 26.2 mile course.   Average times are about four-and-a-half hours.   It's considered a major milestone for non-pro/competitive runners to crack 4:00:00 in their marathon.  

Now shave roughly 1:00:00 to 1:30:00 off that time, and that's what you need to qualify for Boston (depending on age).  That's the difference between a 10:18 mile split, and a 6:52 mile split.  There are damned few people who, not being regular runners, can lay down a 6-minute-range mile split for a 26.2-mile course... and those who could even attempt it have an incredible genetic gift.  In other words, you have to train for that.  

I know all posters here have chiseled physiques, bang supermodels, drive Ferraris, etc... but all bullsh*t aside, I'd like to see the marathon times of the ARFcommers who are so bad-ass that a qualifying time for Boston is just a walk in the park.  If those ARFcommers do exist, I guarantee they're life-long, competitive runners... who should know better than to talk down a run time that the VAST majority of our population (or even the vast majority of runners) will never achieve.  

And if they actually are that arrogant?  Just wait... and talk to them when they're my age, and getting grey... then we'll see if that 3-hour marathon is no big deal.

I know people that ran it in the past. I know people that ran it this year. Not elite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#33]
That bib was assigned to Kara Bonneau who ran 3:31:41

PS. The winner of this year's race ran just over 5 minute miles for the entire 26.2 mile course. That's friggin incredible. Most people here probably don't personally know anyone who can run ONE five minute mile.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Nobody is claiming that its easy. Just that its kinda fruity to get all pissed off someone not wanting to pay the registration fee or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#37]
1st World Problems.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Would never happen.

Anyone that could finish at the head of the pack wouldn't have to fake a number.  

People who can run a marathon that fast are pretty well known in the running comminty.  Top runners are INVITED, sometimes even BEGGED to run Boston by the BAA and sponsors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if a faker won?

Would never happen.

Anyone that could finish at the head of the pack wouldn't have to fake a number.  

People who can run a marathon that fast are pretty well known in the running comminty.  Top runners are INVITED, sometimes even BEGGED to run Boston by the BAA and sponsors.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

this......
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ever run it yourself?

If not, why not?  After all, it's so easy...
View Quote

Strawman argument alert.

Never said it was easy. However, just because you or I can't do something doesn't mean those who can are "elite." Nor do all those who participate actually qualify for said event, which was, after all, my original point.

The Boston Marathon became a topic of discussion in the office when the Mike and Mike show on ESPN radio went on about how 9,000 runners were in the "elite" category/starting group. The person who had run it before, but was not running it this year explained. Most years they have about 27,000 participants.  This year was up because of what happened last year. Up to about 9,000 get in through charities or some such. The event is normally broken down into three heats, this year four. The 9,000 runners with the best qualifying times go first, the next 9,000, then the charity folks. Then he said, the people who actually have a chance to win it, the real elite runners are separated from all the groups. They get their own tent and are placed at the front of the race before the start. Those 100 or so folks are the real elite runners.

The qualification time is to limit participation in the event, not some sort of standard to determine who is an "elite" marathon runner.

Now to these yahoos crashing the party. They are what I like to call a self-limiting problem. How many people want to run a marathon AND risk getting caught with a fake bib? Not many. Not many at all.

So what do they hurt? They don't get an official time. They don't get the SWAG bag of gifties. The most you can argue is that a relative handful of people run at the same time there are at least 9,000 other people on the course.

Douchy thing to do, but nothing to get worked up about.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I see a lot of non-runners in this thread, who don't seem to appreciate the difficulty and level of achievement required... Or think a 3:00:00 marathon is no big deal.

Total clownshoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody is claiming that its easy. Just that its kinda fruity to get all pissed off someone not wanting to pay the registration fee or whatever.

I see a lot of non-runners in this thread, who don't seem to appreciate the difficulty and level of achievement required... Or think a 3:00:00 marathon is no big deal.

Total clownshoes.

Or who do appreciate the level of difficulty but understand the scope of the problem, which you don't seem to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#45]
They run several shorter races on the Saturday before the marathon.

I believe the 5K is open to anyone who registers (no qualifying times). For those who want the experience of crossing the finish line, shown on a big nearby screen, with cheering fans, this could be your opportunity.

We were in Boston last Friday/Sat. Stayed at a hotel right next to the finish line (Lenox). We watched a couple races. The whole area was crawling with runners proudly sporting their official windbreakers. Made me fully appreciate what a huge deal this is for runners AND for the city.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Or who do appreciate the level of difficulty but understand the scope of the problem, which you don't seem to.
I think you're confused.  I don't really care about the bandit runners.  I haven't addressed them at all in ANY of my posts.

What was your last Marathon time again?  

Or do you just "know people" who run it... And they all suck, right?  You're pretty sure you're faster than them... You just don't feel like running today.

Maybe tomorrow.
View Quote

Strawman argument alert, again. This is getting to be a reoccurring theme with you.

I never said I was a marathon runner. I never said I could qualify. I only stated that just qualifying doesn't make you an "elite" runner. Nor does everyone that particpates actually run a qualifying time to get in. Those are the facts. Sorry you can't deal with them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Good, high time those fucking liberals get a taste of the freeloading they support and promote.

Fuck those commy, treehuggin', running fags...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:50:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Who. The. F***. Cares.

"I am floored they had the audacity to do this after last year"

Could you explain how the two are even related?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top