Quoted:
First warning - time out
Second warning - waterboarding
View Quote

Third warning - unbirth?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:second offense=time out=number of minutes will be equivalent to the age of child, example 5 year old =5 minutes in time out.
View Quote

I had my daughter in time out and my wife said I had to do it a minute for their age, "Well, she's 26 months..."

But I know when my kids get bigger if I ever find something they aren't supposed to have, (cigarettes, drugs, ect.) I'm not going to get on to them or even say anything to them, just take it and let them freak out. I know one time when I was probably 16 or 17 I lost a pack of cigarettes and almost went crazy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I just take them to WalMart

Theres a bell that goes off. *ding, whip your kids!

Dammit, now you pissed me off, we are going to Walmart.
Not Walmart!
I said get in the truck!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an almost teen daughter and I train horses.  In neither case is physical violence an appropriate punishment response except extremely and exceptionally rarely.  When my little girl acts wrong she is either removed from the situation and redirected, is deprived of a cherished thing or activity or is worked until she yields.  

The same rules apply for my horses.  

Violence is reserved for stopping dangerous (as in hurtful to me) activities.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had to do that some in middle school (and in high school, in Detention).

In middle school, the teacher had this set of "rules of conduct" that George Washington was supposed to have written for himself. You'd have to write each of them X times for her, with the number increasing according to the severity of your fuckup.

In detention, the teacher who ran it had a set of encyclopedias, and you'd have to spend the full hour copying. If he caught you slipping, or thought you'd been slacking, he'd give you another detention.

In chemistry in high school, I got a lab detention for fucking around during a lab, and I had to wash all the glassware from all the day's classes after school. It wasn't so bad, but I think practical punishments might be counterproductive - if a task is interesting, it's not punishment, and if the task is necessary, you're making a counterproductive association between a necessity and punishment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are disrespectful they write, I will not disrespect adults 50 times.[...] It is the worse punishment I dealt with growing up.

I had to do that some in middle school (and in high school, in Detention).

In middle school, the teacher had this set of "rules of conduct" that George Washington was supposed to have written for himself. You'd have to write each of them X times for her, with the number increasing according to the severity of your fuckup.

In detention, the teacher who ran it had a set of encyclopedias, and you'd have to spend the full hour copying. If he caught you slipping, or thought you'd been slacking, he'd give you another detention.

In chemistry in high school, I got a lab detention for fucking around during a lab, and I had to wash all the glassware from all the day's classes after school. It wasn't so bad, but I think practical punishments might be counterproductive - if a task is interesting, it's not punishment, and if the task is necessary, you're making a counterproductive association between a necessity and punishment.

Gotta disagree with you a bit.  I short fuzed a smoke bomb at school once and got sent to 20 or 30 hours of community service as part of a police diversion program.  This was way before the time when such offenders would be waterboarded, expelled from all schools in the state, branded terrorists and no fly listed for life.  I worked in a charity food distribution warehouse.  I was given responsibilities and expected to work hard at a real and important task.  

It helped me get myself sorted out because I blew up the school because I was bored and because fuck you that's why and being trusted with something responsible helped me feel a whole lot less fuck you that's why.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
When we were growing up my mom did all the whipping but my dad came up with all the messed up punishments.  When me and my brother would mess up, we would spend our weekends pulling weeds.  If we purposefully slacked off, we would do the same thing next weekend.  When we really messed up we had "No Meat Weekends"  We could not eat meat all weekend.  No BBQ. Spaghetti with no sauce. Sandwiches with no meat.  You get the idea.  

Of course this was in the 80's, before kids were hippies and vegan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When we were growing up my mom did all the whipping but my dad came up with all the messed up punishments.  When me and my brother would mess up, we would spend our weekends pulling weeds.  If we purposefully slacked off, we would do the same thing next weekend.  When we really messed up we had "No Meat Weekends"  We could not eat meat all weekend.  No BBQ. Spaghetti with no sauce. Sandwiches with no meat.  You get the idea.  

View Quote

No meat weekend....also known as starvation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For most kids, corporal punishment should almost never be needed after they reach the age of reason.
View Quote
For a lot of kids, the age of reason doesn't come until around 25.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

"Get used to those bars, kid." - Marty McFly
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Put them up for adoption.  Behavior problem solved permanently!  
View Quote

We were supposed to be sold to the circus at least a dozen times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said "No Meat weekend" not "No Food Weekend"

But yes, to a kid it might as well be starvation!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the door off the hinges (& put it in garage) and disconnect phone/internet lines....WORKS EVERY TIME!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put them up for adoption.  Behavior problem solved permanently!  

Dad always told us that if we ever called Social Services to report child abuse then we better pack our bags because he wasn't going to fight to keep us. To this day I half believe he wasn't lying...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Two words…

“Smooth Jazz”

(Actually it worked, but not as expected. The kids I tried that on sort of liked the music, but it did mellow them out.)

I’ve also threatened kids with alligators and told them alligator farms paid good money for kids… They pay by the pound.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take the door off the hinges (& put it in garage) and disconnect phone/internet lines....WORKS EVERY TIME!
View Quote

That does wonders for habitual door slammers.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad gave me the belt until I was 12. When I turned 12 I reached the height of 6'2'' (I'm a giant) and my dad says to me "Son your as tall as me now, so no more of this kid belt stuff". After that if I got an attitude he would punch me directly in the mouth. Nothing too serious but he gave me a few fat lips and one night at the dinner table I lost about a half pint of blood out of my nose but my attitude did get better. He knocked that shit off when I turned 16 and we've been really tight every since then. I plan on raising my children the same way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Delete their PlayStation memory.
View Quote

Calm down there, Satan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Dad would make up the salt water. and put sponges in it. That was when you knew it was going to be bad. Then he put the bucket down in front of the car, and got the jumper cables out of the trunk. I tried to block out the rest.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I use corporal punishment as a last resort. It is an attention getter.
When I have to use it I make my daughter go sit on my bed and think about it. After ten minutes or so I go in there and talk to her about what she did wrong and how disappointed I am. Then I have her bend over and I giver a few swats with the belt.
After sitting in there stewing for a while and then the talk I don't have to hit her that hard either.

Usually just taking away the TV or the Wii gets the point across.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't you know that any form of punishment or disciplining a child is ABUSE in today's society!  Geez!  What is wrong with you Neaderthals?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meat is 75% of what I eat. No weekend of meat is more or less starvation. Vegetables and other rabbit food doesn't cut it for me
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have more than one, give them boot camp experience.

If one of them fucks up they all get punished.  Eventually, they will learn to police each other.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you're like me, hitting your kids isn't an option

View Quote

My old man had no such reservations.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
My father would open an encyclopedia and pick out a random entry and make me write a report on it.  I was a smart ass as a child, now I do really well when I play along with jeopardy with my wife.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're like me, hitting your kids isn't an option

Neither did mine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
1- Warning shots

2- Just kidding, I have shitty aim and missed, there are no warning shots
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I met an interesting student who was carrying the top seat of a toilet outside of his backpack.

His parents make him wear it all day in school as a punishment for being tardy to classes.

His tardiness stopped right away after the first one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Push ups
flutter kicks
picking up pine cones out of the front yard (wheel barrels full)
Or my personal favorite, filling sand bags. At 10 filling sandbags sucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Push ups
flutter kicks
picking up pine cones out of the front yard (wheel barrels full)
Or my personal favorite, filling sand bags. At 10 filling sandbags sucks.
View Quote

A friend of a friend who was SF made his kids do burpees when they misbehaved. When they were really bad, he made them jump in the pool that he kept just above freezing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Both my kids are intimately familiar with the "front leaning rest" position.

PT punishment is the prefered method but if they act crazy at school I have a "uniform" (plain blouse, skirt, shoes, no make-up or jewelry) that they get to wear everyday for a week.  I have only had to use this nuclear option once as fear of peer ridicule seems to be a powerful motivational tool.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top