Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/23/2014 10:12:03 PM EDT
It left a mark, but it's not bleeding, and within 1 minute I doused it with Everclear and used an eyedropper to shove the 95% ethanol into the wounds.

The raccoon did not attack me, and showed no sign of being rabid.  We're in a rural area, lots of woods and not too many houses, and I've encountered raccoons before.  They're normal, nocturnal, regular-tempered, fully-furred, non-foaming creatures.  This one was perfectly normal.  I was just stupid and decided to try to catch it with gloved hands as it ran by out of the garage.  I caught it, but it got my leg.  I pulled it off, but it had a good grip.

So, would it be obvious if a raccoon was rabid?  I suppose at this point a shot is too late.  I'm in the National Guard, but they give me so many shots I'm not even sure if they give rabies shots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns and ammo

you got da rabies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just want to point out that rabies is a virus.

I bet the alcohol would have done in most if not all bacterial nasties, but I don't think it does shit for rabies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it to the vet, it's going to need shots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hit that bite with betadine, and do it soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Enjoy the shots.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you kill the raccoon? They can test its brain for rabies.

If you dont have the raccoon for them to test ,it probably wouldnt be a horrible idea to get to a doctor.

Did it attack you? Did you surprise or corner it? What led up to it biting you?
answered
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
What were you gonna do with the raccoon when you caught him?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Test him for rabies...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
please tell me you got this on video
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you dont have the raccoon for them to test ,it probably wouldnt be a horrible idea to get to a doctor.

View Quote

The garage door was open, it was looking for food up on the deck in the back of the gargage, I walked in from the outside, it saw me and ran down the stairs and towards freedom, and in the meantime I was putting on leather gloves.  With catlike skills I snatched it as it ran past me, but with decidedly uncatlike skills I allowed it to retaliate and snag my calf with its teeth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

answered
View Quote

This. From what I've read rabies is one of the worst ways possible to die. I'd get up there asap because as of now it's not to late...but once symptoms are present ...you're done.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Test him for rabies...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Test him for rabies...

I actually could have, but even though I was strangling it so much that it began to gasp and pass out, I decided to let it go and it ran away.  Maybe I should have finished the job and had it tested.  Dang it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I would talk to a doctor, most likely you are fine but better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Go get checked, now. Raccoons are filthy creatures, and seem to be rabid more often than not. And yes, you should have finished it off and brought it with you, it's easier to check the animal before giving you the shots.

The rabies series is painful, but rabies is pretty much 100% fatal if you don't get treated. Once it gets to your brain, that's it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot the fucking thing if possible.  Take the carcass to animal control.  Get yourself some fucking rabies shots if the animal comes back rabid.
If you can't find the animal you're fucked if you can find it---kill it immediately if you can (Cat or Dog) try not to hit the animal in the head or destroy brain tissue.

Rabies is 100% fucking fatal.  Do not fuck around with this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
"Wild animals accounted for 92% of reported cases of rabies in 2010. Raccoons continued to be the most frequently reported rabid wildlife species (36.5% of all animal cases during 2010), followed by skunks (23.5%), bats (23.2%), foxes (7.0%), and other wild animals, including rodents and lagomorphs (1.8%). Reported cases decreased among all wild animals during 2010.

Outbreaks of rabies infections in terrestrial mammals like raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes are found in broad geographic regions across the United States. Geographic boundaries of currently recognized reservoirs for rabies in terrestrial mammals are shown on the map below"

CDC
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The garage door was open, it was looking for food up on the deck in the back of the gargage, I walked in from the outside, it saw me and ran down the stairs and towards freedom, and in the meantime I was putting on leather gloves.  With catlike skills I snatched it as it ran past me, but with decidedly uncatlike skills I allowed it to retaliate and snag my calf with its teeth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judgement call time.
More than likely the coon was fine and you will be fine.
But...
I dont believe they can test for rabies in humans and if they dont have the animal to test and feel its a high probable chance they just go ahead and start you on the rabies shots, which used to be a series of them administered in the stomach,
Not sure if that has changed now days or not though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I ran rabies control for Manatee County, Florida for ten years.  Coons can be rabid without showing any symptoms.  If it is not available to be tested then you get the shots.  MDs often don't know the procedures for handling this.  Contact your local health department.  Don't wait or 'play the odds'.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The AAR should include pictures of you receiving your series of shots so that others might learn from your mistake.

Its for science.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ran rabies control for Manatee County, Florida for ten years.  Coons can be rabid without showing any symptoms.  If it is not available to be tested then you get the shots.  MDs often don't know the procedures for handling this.  Contact your local health department.  Don't wait or 'play the odds'.
View Quote

Will shots be effective after possible infection?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you catch it early, yes, which is why you go immediately.

Raccoons should always be avoided. They can look healthy and be rabid. Disgusting things.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#22]
We have had a lot of raccoons on this property for decades, and none have ever shown any sign of rabies.  No mange, never any tendency to attack, and I've seen the raccoons eating cat food next to the cats before.  Hopefully they're clean.  I even shot one and skinned it, and it was a nice fur.  I sure would like to be sure, though.  Last thing I wan to do is die.

Where would one go for shots?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw a video of a rabies victim in the last stages from some third world country.  Enough to convince me the shots are a walk in the park by comparison.  I wouldn't play around with this...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After possible infection? Yes, you've been bit, and rabies is carried via the saliva - so you're going to get the shots unless you can bag the raccoon with its brain intact for evaluation.

Now if you meant possibly after symptoms arise - I don't think it works that way, by the time symptoms start it's likely too late, or at least the docs aren't willing to let you take that risk.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No bleeding, no doctor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
In all seriousness rabies is passed through saliva.

You should probably go in to be safe.

Edit: at least call your local health department as suggested earlier.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
get rabies shots, bro.  not all animals with rabies have behavioral abnormalities you can discern.

survival of human who gets bitten by rabid animal & gets shots = ~99%

survival of human who gets bitten by rabid animal & doesn't get shots = <1%
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#28]
If the raccoon can't be tested the only way to know for sure is after symptoms start.  After symptoms start then death is where it ends up.  I would get the shots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this.  Mix it with 1/2 water to release the iodine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No bleeding, no doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No bleeding, no doctor.

Op mentioned having wounds though.
So it sounds like the skin was broken.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Rabies can show no symptoms for months if not years. Once it does, you're dead.

The only "test" is to take the brain of the critter and look for the virus--can't do that with a live human.

If you're bit by a critter known to carry rabies (raccoon is near the top of the list) then you're getting the rabies series unless you can provide its head.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP - Go to the ER now, and get the shots.  Don't be cheap or stupid about this. Oh, and throw the pants away since they have the saliva on it - don't risk cross-contamination with the wife or kids if they handle the pants with the fluid on it, or at least handle them with disposable gloves and soak them in "stinging / strong" bleach solution before you leave.

(P.S. - Next time, shoot the bastard, don't play with it)

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#33]
If I recall correctly, the one girl that contracted rabies from a bat, who is also the only person on record to have survived infection after symptoms, didn't remember the bite even bleeding:  Scientific American article
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#34]
What the crap OP? This is not a joke go to the E.R.  Raccoons can transmit a whole slurry of things. They eat trash and dead things all the time. You need to go to the doctor ASAP!!!!! You have a very good chance of dying if you do not go...

ETA: my parents before restrictions were put on it had a pet raccoon and I have also caught raccoons in the past.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is still going to need rabies shots. The good news is they are far less painful then they used to be.

"The time period between contracting the disease and the start of symptoms is usually one to three months; however it can vary from less than one week to more than one year. The time is dependent on the distance the virus must travel to reach the central nervous system. Early symptoms may include fever and tingling at the site of exposure. This is then followed by either violent movements, uncontrolled excitement, and fear of water or an inability to move parts of the body and confusion followed by loss of consciousness. In both cases once symptoms appear it nearly always results in death."
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Yeah, chances are you'll be fine, but there still is a chance you wont, is it worth it? Rabies is pretty horrible, period.
The ER will have the shots.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#37]
ER. Now. Not optional.

Expect follow-up from your local health department.

I expect your next post to be from your phone with a picture of the hot nurse poking you in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Is this a serious thread?  If so, and it were me, I'd go to the doctor without hesitation. Rabies is not to be toyed with. For all intents and purposes, rabies is 100% lethal absent timely vaccination. The vaccine can be administered any time prior to exhibiting symptoms, but the sooner the better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, the one girl that contracted rabies from a bat, who is also the only person on record to have survived infection after symptoms, didn't remember the bite even bleeding:  Scientific American article
View Quote

Yeah, they have tried the same treatment (Induced coma) that they gave her, but I haven't heard of it being successful again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We have had a lot of raccoons on this property for decades, and none have ever shown any sign of rabies.  No mange, never any tendency to attack, and I've seen the raccoons eating cat food next to the cats before.  Hopefully they're clean.  I even shot one and skinned it, and it was a nice fur.  I sure would like to be sure, though.  Last thing I wan to do is die.

View Quote

I believe you can just call the doc in the AM and discuss it with him.  If they have the animal, they wait for the test results anyway, before giving any shots.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I believe you can just call the doc in the AM and discuss it with him.  If they have the animal, they wait for the test results anyway, before giving any shots.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's assuming they have the resources to test it. Many bumfuck areas are too remote to get the results back in a timely manner and will just go ahead with the vaccine series to make sure you don't get sick and die in the time it takes to run the tests.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL. OP gets bit by a raccoon, and comes here for advice........

Even a city slicker such as myself knows not to fuck with the wildlife....then again, the Army has been telling me that for the past 8 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Ho-lee-fuck! That's fucking funny.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He is still going to need rabies shots. The good news is they are far less painful then they used to be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know.  The betadine wash is good though when it goes in deep and when it dries, it's an excellent protectant that keeps it sterile.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Can symptoms start quickly after being bitten?
I mean can the OP just start posting gibberish any minute?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ho-lee-fuck! That's fucking funny.
View All Quotes
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Yes . . . I know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's assuming they have the resources to test it. Many bumfuck areas are too remote to get the results back in a timely manner and will just go ahead with the vaccine series to make sure you don't get sick and die in the time it takes to run the tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 'coon's gone.  I meant there's plenty of time to call the doc in the AM.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#50]
You have your advice, get the rabbies vaccine or risk your life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top