Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 7:01:02 PM EDT
I'm considering taking my wife and two teenage daughters on a week-long train trip through the western US.  Has anyone of you ever done such a thing?  What can you tell me?  Would it be as pleasant as I think it might be?  I envision no driving, comfortable seating, scenary, food and drink.  Are the itineraries flexible?  Will they stop me at tourist traps which I hate?  Is it a good travel value?  Any insight would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I laughed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the 1800s
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Same price as airfare. It will be cool for the first 2 hours and then suckville.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same price as airfare. It will be cool for the first 2 hours and then suckville.
View Quote

I looked into it before. It was cheaper to fly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Over 100 years ago, two men in NC invented a transportation method that makes any other way archaic. Fuck going by ground.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a 4 hour train ride in Spain and it was boring as hell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, it would probably be less expensive to fly out to somewhere like Colorado and take a scenic train like the Silverton.  

http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us#.U1h_9lVdV8E

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem is, you can't just get off the train, visit a town for a day, then get back on a train to the next city.  There are only a few trains that run.  Add to that the ridiculous amount of time the train takes going from point A to point B and you've wasted most of your trip in a rail car.  If you want to see the west, fly out and get a rental car.  Head over to the Grand Canyon and take the GC train out to the Canyon.  Then, head over to SoCal and take the train up the coast to Santa Barbara for the day (or overnight).  That way you can spend lots of time checking out the west and still take a couple of train trips.

We used to take the train across Canada every few years or so.  It sucked.

Eric  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheaper to fly.  The last 2 people that I knew who decided to take a train for "fun" ended up breaking down and being put on a Greyhound bus.  It will be an adventure if you decide to do this - be it good or bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
All of the replies above are based on just getting there.

They are good *if* the only goal is to get there.

Travel by rail in the US is very hit-or-miss and depends on the route you're taking, whether you get seats or a compartment, and whether the scenery along the way is interesting (don't forget, it isn't interesting if it's dark when you pass through a scenic landscape)

It is possible to arrange an interesting trip by rail but it takes a bit of planning.  Nobody cares about the scenery when they book a plane ticket. But you should look into it before booking a train ticket.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've taken a 2 day train ride... and I've taken a bus from southeast Missouri to Denver.

I will sell a kidney to fly or walk before I do either one again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Honestly, it would probably be less expensive to fly out to somewhere like Colorado and take a scenic train like the Silverton.  

http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us#.U1h_9lVdV8E

http://youtu.be/ZdyMOt68MxY
View Quote
Can't beat the D&S no doubt.

OP like has been said.  It will get boring.  If no one in the group like trains it will be even worse.  Spend your money to fly out to Colorado or somewhere and visit the tourist railways.  The only train that might be worth it is Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle via Montana.  I will probably take that trip one day.  Went from Atlanta to New Orleans and absolutely loved it.  We also upgraded to a private room for 50 bucks and that made all the difference in the world.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a sleeper car room.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]
A train trip with three women.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Amtrak is like staying @ formerly good modern hotel that ran down about 10 years ago - and that was 10 years ago.  The food is the finest that IHOP has ever produced.

I rode 1st class to St Louis & back from Texas, overnight.  It was interesting, & fun.  The view was great except when going through town.  It was more expensive than flying, and you can forget about the schedule - Amtrak uses that as a same day guide, nothing more.  I'd do it again if I had the time & money, but then I like trains.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My girlfriend and I just booked an extended weekend getaway in late June for her birthday. We both have wanted to take the train to Seattle(both of us since before we met) and we've got tickets for the Mariners vs Indians(hers and my teams.) We're staying at a nice looking place downtown and plan on doing all the touristy stuff so we aren't going to need a car or worry about parking.

Trains are more about the journey than the destination.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My girlfriend and I just booked an extended weekend getaway in late June for her birthday. We both have wanted to take the train to Seattle(both of us since before we met) and we've got tickets for the Mariners vs Indians(hers and my teams.) We're staying at a nice looking place downtown and plan on doing all the touristy stuff so we aren't going to need a car or worry about parking.

Trains are more about the journey than the destination.
View Quote

Apparently you've never taken a long train ride into Eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm considering taking my wife and two teenage daughters on a week-long train trip through the western US.  Has anyone of you ever done such a thing?  What can you tell me?  Would it be as pleasant as I think it might be?  I envision no driving, comfortable seating, scenary, food and drink.  Are the itineraries flexible?  Will they stop me at tourist traps which I hate?  Is it a good travel value?  Any insight would be much appreciated.
View Quote

The US is not western europe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I enjoyed it greatly when I was a child, the last time I was on a train was probably 20 years ago lots of fun though, no driving, and room to move. From what i have heard recently I would make sure you get a sleeper cabin, as the seats in the coach section are now like airline seats and not comfortable to sleep on. When I was a kid they were like giant lazy boys, so it was easy to sleep, plus people in general were better 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trains are cool to get from point a to b approx 500-900 miles.

save on gas (if you are traveling alone) and no TSA.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]
No idea.  I'd think it would be pretty spendy to do it in a way that wouldn't suck cock.

At least there is no TSA.  FUCK THE TSA!!111!!!!!1
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to take Amtrak all over the west coast back in the late 70's.  It was a hoot for a kid (ME).

I took another trip about 5yrs ago (Salem, OR-Los Angeles, CA) and it sucked balls.  I wouldn't do

it again unless I heard that things have improved dramatically.

Anyway, here's Consumer Affairs top 300 or so ratings for them (They [Amtrak] get a 1 1/4 stars

out of five so I'm guessing that things haven't improved).

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/amtrak.html

BTW, I like the idea of the regional excursion trips some here have suggested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top