Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the San Francisco cyclist who killed a pedestrian got just probation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Was he drunk though?   If not why would that be criminal if it was just an accident?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is just flat disgusting. I have no patience for drunks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vehicular homicide gets only three years and eight months.  One third gets knocked off for good conduct/work time.  She also gets credit for time served.  That means in about two years time she's back behind the wheel.

That is just flat disgusting. I have no patience for drunks.

Stupidity is stupidity no matter what form it comes in, be it drunk driving or cutting in and out of traffic on a bike.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

He got 3 years probation and 1,000 hours community service.

IMO, it's a light sentence.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep for basically firing into a crowd of people.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The driving drunk is unacceptable!  Bicyclist?  mmmm.  I've wanted to do the same at times.  If you are biking on MY road. Do the speed limit or get to the side, in your bike lane!
View Quote

YOUR ROAD herppp derpppp
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Vehicular manslaughter, not homicide.

It's a completely different concept, from the point of view of the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vehicular homicide gets only three years and eight months.  One third gets knocked off for good conduct/work time.  She also gets credit for time served.  That means in about two years time she's back behind the wheel.

Vehicular manslaughter, not homicide.

It's a completely different concept, from the point of view of the law.

Especially since she wasn't the one that actually killed him, although she did cause the multiple vehicle accident.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Has anyone here actually ever came out and said exactly that?

It seems like a pretty unsupportable position.

I see a LOT more of the "let's execute drunks on the side of the road" mentality, which is as , IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Choosing to drive drunk should equal choosing to be killed for killing someone.  In before the drunks ask about people who get in accidents while, let's see, eating, putting on makeup, texting, etc. etc.  

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I even made it in before the kooks who will claim drunk driving is a "victimless crime."  Tell it to the dead guy.

Has anyone here actually ever came out and said exactly that?

It seems like a pretty unsupportable position.

I see a LOT more of the "let's execute drunks on the side of the road" mentality, which is as , IMO.

Oh yeah, we've had several of our resident drunk drivers say that.  The hang 'em high crowd, well they've usually lost somebody to a drunk.  They might get emotional about that.  

The drunks?  they don't want to pay if caught.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She should have been given a medal!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicyclists huh.....Maybe a half a shit given.

How about that guy that designed the bonfire that collapsed?  Any shits given there?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you think adjusting your radio is the equivalent to getting almost black out drunk and getting behind the wheel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Choosing to drive drunk should equal choosing to be killed for killing someone.  In before the drunks ask about people who get in accidents while, let's see, eating, putting on makeup, texting, etc. etc.  

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I even made it in before the kooks who will claim drunk driving is a "victimless crime."  Tell it to the dead guy.

Because the deaths from distracted driving are sooo much less than DUI, right? Like it or not, distracted driving is no less a choice than DUI; same penalty should apply.

So you think adjusting your radio is the equivalent to getting almost black out drunk and getting behind the wheel?

Dead is dead
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually it's fuel taxes that pay for most transportation projects.  I'll make a deal with you.  Build a cycling path infrastructure like most of Western Europe has (10-15 foot wide paths paralleling highways) and I'll go for it.  All we need to do is move houses back and do eminent domain on everyone's yards.  Since I drive (lots) too and pay plenty of gas taxes I can appreciate my tax dollars helping to clear Lycra clad zombies off the roads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe if cyclists paid for registration and plates they could get more bike paths?

Actually it's fuel taxes that pay for most transportation projects.  I'll make a deal with you.  Build a cycling path infrastructure like most of Western Europe has (10-15 foot wide paths paralleling highways) and I'll go for it.  All we need to do is move houses back and do eminent domain on everyone's yards.  Since I drive (lots) too and pay plenty of gas taxes I can appreciate my tax dollars helping to clear Lycra clad zombies off the roads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

And I bet we can get most of ArfCom out there helping the crews enforcing eminent domain papers getting served.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

seems pretty low to me. she decided to engage in reckless behavior that ended in the horrible death of an innocent human being.
Like a poster above me alluded to, if I started randomly shooting bullets into a crowd, and killed someone,  would I not get a higher sentence than 3 years, 8 months?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Average to actually a long sentence.

seems pretty low to me. she decided to engage in reckless behavior that ended in the horrible death of an innocent human being.
Like a poster above me alluded to, if I started randomly shooting bullets into a crowd, and killed someone,  would I not get a higher sentence than 3 years, 8 months?

Well of course, drinking to excess is socially acceptable for many people, shooting not so much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here's what I don't get:

She was a drunk 21-year old woman.

If the law says she can't consent to sex then I wonder how the law is able to find her liable for her decision to drive and to flee the scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your first response after severely injuring somebody is to run away rather than render aid, you are a worthless human being with no redeeming value. Seeing as though the person died, I see no reason for why she shouldn't as well.

Here's what I don't get:

She was a drunk 21-year old woman.

If the law says she can't consent to sex then I wonder how the law is able to find her liable for her decision to drive and to flee the scene.

hmm what law is that?  care to post a cite??

Here's a good place to start looking  http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of you in this thread talk as if roads are reserved strictly for cars.

Please produce evidence of this claim, and make sure it goes beyond the scope of your dumbass opinion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please produce evidence of this claim, and make sure it goes beyond the scope of your dumbass opinion.
View Quote

Lol good luck, all these fatties just hate on bikes because A. they're too uncoordinated to ride one. B. They suck at navigating their motor vehicle. C. They have nothing better to do then complain when allowed out of the basement. Or  D. they're just dumb as shit
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol good luck, all these fatties just hate on bikes because A. they're too uncoordinated to ride one. B. They suck at navigating their motor vehicle. C. They have nothing better to do then complain when allowed out of the basement. Or  D. they're just dumb as shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe because we are not fatties but A; have been stuck behind self indulgent spandex queens; B think that people operating a vehicle that has no business on public roads is a bad idea; or C that cyclists as a group have made 80% of the country hate them because as a group that are a huge bunch of douche bags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or maybe because we are not fatties but A; have been stuck behind self indulgent spandex queens; B think that people operating a vehicle that has no business on public roads is a bad idea; or C that cyclists as a group have made 80% of the country hate them because as a group that are a huge bunch of douche bags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before making stupid comments about having no business on public roads,  perhaps you should look into who was responsible for improving roads and highways before the advent of automobiles.

Not that it would change your  hatred of cyclists, but some education  on the matter wouldn't hurt.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dead is dead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the deaths from distracted driving are sooo much less than DUI, right? Like it or not, distracted driving is no less a choice than DUI; same penalty should apply.

Dead is dead

Really?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Before making stupid comments about having no business on public roads,  perhaps you should look into who was responsible for improving roads and highways before the advent of automobiles.

Not that it would change your  hatred of cyclists, but some education  on the matter wouldn't hurt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before making stupid comments about irrelevant facts from a century ago, why not look at the $60 billion dollars collected each year from gasoline taxes.  Some education on the matter wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#20]
How about people get a cab or DD? No reason to drink then get in a car. They can lower the limit to 0.0% for all i care.
She should get a longer sentence.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Before making stupid comments about irrelevant facts from a century ago, why not look at the $60 billion dollars collected each year from gasoline taxes.  Some education on the matter wouldn't hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see. You don't like a fact, so that makes it irrelevant.

And you're saying that if you don't own a vehicle and purchase gasoline, then you aren't allowed to use the roads. Right?

Perhaps you should look into gas taxes and understand how roads are actually paid for.

Bike myths debunked

"Many people mistakenly believe that taxes levied on gas pay for road construction and maintenance. However, the funding from gas taxes makes up a relatively small amount of transportation funding. According to a 2011 report by the U.S. PIRG Education Fund, gas taxes and other “user fees,” like automobile registration, fund only about half of the nation’s road expenses. The remaining costs are covered through general government funding."

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How about that guy that designed the bonfire that collapsed?  Any shits given there?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bicyclists huh.....Maybe a half a shit given.

Ooooh, a Bonfire joke!

That really took a lot of originality and creativity.

Somewhere, a village is missing you
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By VACaver

And you're saying that if you don't own a vehicle and purchase gasoline, then you aren't allowed to use the roads. Right?

Perhaps you should look into gas taxes and understand how roads are actually paid for.

Bike myths debunked

"Many people mistakenly believe that taxes levied on gas pay for road construction and maintenance. However, the funding from gas taxes makes up a relatively small amount of transportation funding. According to a 2011 report by the U.S. PIRG Education Fund, gas taxes and other "user fees,” like automobile registration, fund only about half of the nation’s road expenses. The remaining costs are covered through general government funding."
View Quote

So... us cage drivers pay for Half PLUS our share out of the general fund, while someone on a bike is taxed no differently than a pedestrian on a sidewalk, yet they can impede traffic, and indeed pose a danger to me getting a pickup shoved up my tailpipe when I have to brake suddenly for their asses because they are too macho TO STAY IN THE FUCKING BIKE LANE ALREADY PROVIDED FOR THEM!

Yeah, go make your environmental statement somewhere else, or at least don't fucking ride during rush hour, I would like to get home without the bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bike myths debunked

"Many people mistakenly believe that taxes levied on gas pay for road construction and maintenance. However, the funding from gas taxes makes up a relatively small amount of transportation funding. According to a 2011 report by the U.S. PIRG Education Fund, gas taxes and other “user fees,” like automobile registration, fund only about half of the nation’s road expenses. The remaining costs are covered through general government funding."

View Quote

Don't cry moon pie, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.   Facts are mean.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The way some of you paint with broad brushes is EXACTLY like gun-banning socialists.

View Quote

class envy is also thick. the basement dwelling neckbeards resent the fact the people can be healthy, successful, and have enough wealth to spend 12k on a bicycle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See in bold.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So... us cage drivers pay for Half PLUS our share out of the general fund, while someone on a bike is taxed no differently than a pedestrian on a sidewalk, yet they can impede traffic, and indeed pose a danger to me getting a pickup shoved up my tailpipe when I have to brake suddenly for their asses because they are too macho TO STAY IN THE FUCKING BIKE LANE ALREADY PROVIDED FOR THEM!

Yeah, go make your environmental statement somewhere else, or at least don't fucking ride during rush hour, I would like to get home without the bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bike myths debunked

"Many people mistakenly believe that taxes levied on gas pay for road construction and maintenance. However, the funding from gas taxes makes up a relatively small amount of transportation funding. According to a 2011 report by the U.S. PIRG Education Fund, gas taxes and other "user fees,” like automobile registration, fund only about half of the nation’s road expenses. The remaining costs are covered through general government funding."

Oh fucking spare me.  What makes you think that most, if not all, bicyclists don't also own cars?  I have lost track of how much I have paid in personal property/car and gasoline taxes over the years while I ride my bicycle to work.

And as to rush hour, here's another shocker.  That's precisely when I have to head home from work, being a hardworking taxpayer with a 8-4 job myself.  Excuse the hell out of me for wanting to get home in one piece.

Some of you really need to get over yourselves.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

class envy is also thick. the basement dwelling neckbeards resent the fact the people can be healthy, successful, and have enough wealth to spend $800 on a bicycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The way some of you paint with broad brushes is EXACTLY like gun-banning socialists.

class envy is also thick. the basement dwelling neckbeards resent the fact the people can be healthy, successful, and have enough wealth to spend $800 on a bicycle.

FIFY.  Some of us aren't loaded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do we have special DUI laws?

Pilot a vehicle while drunk and you have have criminal negligence.  Strike someone, negligent criminal assault, negligent homicide if you kill them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bike myths debunked

You think that someone on a bike does not own a car? Or the person walking down the sidewalk is doing so because they don't have wheels?

I own three motor vehicles and pay my fair share of taxes for roads...yet because I ride a bike for exercise you automatically assume I pay less in taxes than you do.

And show me, please, where it says those roads are ONLY for motor vehicles. Oh, and I do ride in the bike lane if one is available...which is not always the case.  But I gotta tell ya, Einstein, being in the bike lane doesn't mean shit. You kings of the road have no trouble veering into it while you text, fuck with your radio, yell at your kids, light your cigarette, etc.

Believe me, I watch for you very closely and do everything possible to avoid you . I'm not the hazard...you are.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bike myths debunked

Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings. Far from it, in fact.

Actually, if you re-read what I wrote, you'd see that I provided facts...you chose to ignore (or misunderstood) them.

No biggie.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was he drunk though?   If not why would that be criminal if it was just an accident?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He ran a light or two IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]
PEAK DERP has been reached in this thread.

ARFcom servers would do a Chernobyl style melt down had she screamed out the window "I'm going to put beans in my chili then burn photographs of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis."
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top