Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/23/2014 5:33:23 PM EDT
Given California's overcrowded prisons, she will probably serve half of that.

Woman gets 3 years, 8 months for death of cyclist in Boyle Heights

"A 21-year-old woman who struck a group of cyclists in Boyle Heights while driving intoxicated, leading to the death of one who was dragged several hundred feet by a following car, was sentenced to three years, eight months in prison Tuesday.

Wendy Stephanie Villegas pleaded no contest in March to vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident and driving under the influence causing injury in the death of 22-year-old Luis "Andy" Garcia.

Prosecutors say Villegas was driving on Sept. 14 when she hit the group of bicyclists.

Garcia was killed after he was dragged for several hundred feet, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. Two other cyclists were injured.
After the collision, Villegas panicked and fled the scene, prosecutors said.
..."
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That's terrible
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Bicyclists huh.....Maybe a half a shit given.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Given California's overcrowded prisons, she will probably serve half of that.
..."
View Quote

I doubt she ever see's the inside of a an actual prison cell. CDC will parole her from the county jail without ever taking physical possession of her.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Vehicular homicide gets only three years and eight months.  One third gets knocked off for good conduct/work time.  She also gets credit for time served.  That means in about two years time she's back behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe she will get your family next time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vehicular homicide gets only three years and eight months.  One third gets knocked off for good conduct/work time.  She also gets credit for time served.  That means in about two years time she's back behind the wheel.
View Quote

Vehicular manslaughter, not homicide.

It's a completely different concept, from the point of view of the law.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I believe Dante Stallworth, the former nfl receiver, only got a month or two for his.

ETA it was different circumstances though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or someone's.  This is a great example of the revolving door of the legal system.  What a fucking pathetic joke of a legal system.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Choosing to drive drunk should equal choosing to be killed for killing someone.  In before the drunks ask about people who get in accidents while, let's see, eating, putting on makeup, texting, etc. etc.  

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I even made it in before the kooks who will claim drunk driving is a "victimless crime."  Tell it to the dead guy.
View Quote

Has anyone here actually ever came out and said exactly that?

It seems like a pretty unsupportable position.

I see a LOT more of the "let's execute drunks on the side of the road" mentality, which is as , IMO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate cyclists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I believe Dante Stallworth, the former nfl receiver, only got a month or two for his.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can probably afford a far better lawyer than she can. "Right" or not, your ability to pay does affect your outcome in our legal system.

You can buy a lot of justice, if you have the money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope no biking hippy liberals in my family so I'm safe.

Play a stupid game and win a stupid prize.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
By page 2 GD will give her a medal..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Choosing to drive drunk should equal choosing to be killed for killing someone.  In before the drunks ask about people who get in accidents while, let's see, eating, putting on makeup, texting, etc. etc.  

Edit:  Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I even made it in before the kooks who will claim drunk driving is a "victimless crime."  Tell it to the dead guy.
View Quote
Correct.

No matter your state or condition, you ARE responsible for your own actions and in a truly fair world, you WOULD be held accountable for

those actions no matter what your mental state is.

Never mind that I consider cyclists who think it's OK to ride in the streets during rush hour to be among the lowest forms of life on earth,

they're still people and killing people should carry a high penalty no matter what the circumstances.

In my empire,  being drunk, crazy, or stoned would never excuse you from paying the penalty for harm done to others.
CJ

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drunks kill couch potatoes in cars too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not recently, but we've had multiple threads on the subject where people said exactly that.  That's why I make fun of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a LOT more of the "let's execute drunks on the side of the road" mentality, which is as , IMO.

Not recently, but we've had multiple threads on the subject where people said exactly that.  That's why I make fun of them.

I only ask because I see a lot of reference to it, but I can't remember seeing anyone actually porting it. Just seemed like something I'd remember, you know?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hate cyclists.
View Quote

When you look down and see a dead one, look into their lifeless, unresponsive eyes that is not the first thing you think about, trust me I know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

At most.

Those cocky bastards put their lives on the line each time they spandex up.

They have no place on the road.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]
If you ever want to kill someone, just get good and drunk first. It'll reduce your sentence by 3/4

Dead is dead and the families will never get their loved ones back, but hey, that's ok, they were killed by a drunk, so cheer up, it's not so bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

The argument is basically this: If you drive home drunk without a problem, then no harm, no foul. If you drive home drunk and kill someone else on the road, we already have laws for vehicular manslaughter. Therefore, drunk driving laws are pointless revenue generating laws that put people in jail even when they cause no harm to another person.

It's fucking hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont forget that since 2013 any prison term of three years or less is served in the county jail. So even if she had to serve everyday of it she's looking at 8-months before they kick her back down to county.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
3+ years for a victimless crime?! Poor lady.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

The argument is basically this: If you drive home drunk without a problem, then no harm, no foul. If you drive home drunk and kill someone else on the road, we already have laws for vehicular manslaughter. Therefore, drunk driving laws are pointless revenue generating laws that put people in jail even when they cause no harm to another person.

It's fucking hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

It's fucking hilarious.

No kidding.  Drunk driving is a "victimless" crime in the same way that firing a gun into a crowd and miraculously hitting nobody is a victimless crime.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

1/4 shit given.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or less.
Hell half the time I wish I could drive over some myself.
But I don't drink and drive. Come to think about it I don't drink anymore at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you ever want to kill someone, just get good and drunk first. It'll reduce your sentence by 3/4

Dead is dead and the families will never get their loved ones back, but hey, that's ok, they were killed by a drunk, so cheer up, it's not so bad.
View Quote

So, had she been texting and driving or speeding and lost control of her vehicle, she'd have gotten ~12 years?

I'm.....skeptical, to say the least.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

It's fucking hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

It's fucking hilarious.

Don't know how I missed those.

Probably checked out of the threads early, I guess.

Really, DD laws only put you in jail if you have a marked inability to learn from your mistakes. If you go through one DUI and decide that experience isn't enough to convince you it was a bad idea, you have to be a sucker for hardships of your own making.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Seems too light for the drunk driving....the losers that attempt suicide by riding in tight shorts next to 3000 - 4000 - 5000 pound vehicles......ya, no loss there. Kinda like climbing a frozen mountain and getting killed by an avalanche - the family is sad....me? Ya, no loss - strengthens the gene pool.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]
The crappy part is she would have gotten twice the time if she were sober.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
She should have been given a medal!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Really, DD laws only put you in jail if you have a marked inability to learn from your mistakes. If you go through one DUI and decide that experience isn't enough to convince you it was a bad idea, you have to be a sucker for hardships of your own making.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely we have.

It's fucking hilarious.

Speaking as someone who has had his Back broken in 4 places by a 3rd time drunk driver. Who the court didn't seem to think it was worth detaining him when he didn't show for the first 3 court appearances. He had to wait to clear parole from his last one to take a new conviction. (Why bother telling me) Oh, and habitual drunk drivers find it is far cheaper to drive without insurance. We all pay dearly for those who don't bother to plan to have someone drive them.  BTW.... 10 days in county with a year probation ....

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Speaking as someone who has had his Back broken in 4 places by a 3rd time drunk driver. Who the court didn't seem to think it was worth detaining him when he didn't show for the first 3 court appearances. He had to wait to clear parole from his last one to take a new conviction. (Why bother telling me) Oh, and habitual drunk drivers find it is far cheaper to drive without insurance. We all pay dearly for those who don't bother to plan to have someone drive them.  BTW.... 10 days in county with a year probation ....

View Quote

I arrested a guy in 2012 for felony OVI. He had had one prior OVI earlier in 2012, one in 2010, and one in 2007. The court gave him 34 days in jail, suspended 28 of it, and allowed him to serve 6 days on the weekends. Check in Friday night at 10PM, check out Sunday evening at 6PM.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea we need more laws against that crazy hobby.  People shouldn't be allowed to use the roads my gas taxes pay for with vehicles that don't pay an equal tax.  We should send them to their own country.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds about average for out so called justice system.  I never realized how much criminals get away with till I started working in it.  It's incredibly depressing how little justice there really is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Conflicted on this one... drunk drivers should be burned in a lake of lava, but so should cyclists... got stuck behind 10 of the motherfuckers on the Clark Memorial bridge a couple days ago, which is down to one lane in each direction due to construction.  I just want to get home and the dirty cocksuckers are fucking up traffic to amuse themselves.    
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate cyclists.

Quoted:
Never mind that I consider cyclists who think it's OK to ride in the streets during rush hour to be among the lowest forms of life on earth,
they're still people and killing people should carry a high penalty no matter what the circumstances.

Quoted:

Quoted:
At most.

Quoted:
1/4 shit given.

Quoted:
Or less.
But I don't drink and drive. Come to think about it I don't drink anymore at all.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Conflicted on this one... drunk drivers should be burned in a lake of lava, but so should cyclists... got stuck behind 10 of the motherfuckers on the Clark Memorial bridge a couple days ago, which is down to one lane in each direction due to construction.  I just want to get home and the dirty cocksuckers are fucking up traffic to amuse themselves.
I'm sure the cyclists bribed the DOT to shut down the bridge lanes just like Chris Christy.  No way did they get stuck on the only bridge they could take during construction.
View Quote

You guys are fucking awesome.  That fag got what he was asking for by riding out on the street.  Fuck him and his healthy lifestyle doing triathlons and shit.
How dare those bikers use roads they help pay for and are legally allowed to use.

Hope you're all shown as much care and consideration on the road by drunks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yea we need more laws against that crazy hobby.  People shouldn't be allowed to use the roads my gas taxes pay for with vehicles that don't pay an equal tax.  We should send them to their own country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adult bicyclists should be required to register and insure their bicycles if they are going to pretend they are driving a car.  Those bike lanes cost money.  I was nearly killed trying to avoid hitting a cyclist BTW so my typical reaction would be good hit.  Obviously this was a bad hit d/t the fact the bitch was drinking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Adult bicyclists should be required to register and insure their bicycles if they are going to pretend they are driving a car.  Those bike lanes cost money.  I was nearly killed trying to avoid hitting a cyclist BTW so my typical reaction would be good hit.  Obviously this was a bad hit d/t the fact the bitch was drinking.
View Quote

So you nearly died trying to avoid a slow moving vehicle and it's whose fault again?  Ever considered driving lessons or getting your eyes checked?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You guys are fucking awesome.  That fag got what he was asking for by riding out on the street.  Fuck him and his healthy lifestyle doing triathlons and shit.
How dare those bikers use roads they help pay for and are legally allowed to use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate cyclists.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At most.

Quoted:
1/4 shit given.

Quoted:
Or less.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure the cyclists bribed the DOT to shut down the bridge lanes just like Chris Christy.  No way did they get stuck on the only bridge they could take during construction.

It is amazing how so many on this forum think just like gun-haters who want gun-owners to die.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could have just as easily been a pedestrian, motorcyclist, or automobile user.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been stated alot. If you drive drunk and don't hurt anyone or damage property it is technically a victimless crime.

FLAL1A had a thread about it not too long ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you nearly died trying to avoid a slow moving vehicle and it's whose fault again?  Ever considered driving lessons or getting your eyes checked?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  You can't use your imagination and think of any possible situation that this could have possibly happened?  I think your bicyclist panty hose are cutting off the oxygen supply to your brain.

3 douche bags riding 3 abreast.  Blind corner, mountain road and an oncoming log truck.  The only reason the fucks are alive today is because I do know how to drive.  Someone who needed driving lessons or had bad eyesight would have killed them.  Now go play in traffic with your bicycle champ.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

If she was putting makeup on when she hit the guy would make his death less tragic or her actions less culpable?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really?  You can't use your imagination and think of any possible situation that this could have possibly happened?  I think your bicyclist panty hose are cutting off the oxygen supply to your brain.

3 douche bags riding 3 abreast.  Blind corner, mountain road and an oncoming log truck.  The only reason the fucks are alive today is because I do know how to drive.  Someone who needed driving lessons or had bad eyesight would have killed them.  Now go play in traffic with your bicycle champ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm having trouble imagining how you can drive on roads with "blind corners" and be driving so fast that at no point did you see anything until you had to swerve toward a logging truck at the last second.  Inattentive driving, driving too fast for conditions or both is what almost killed you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top