User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, so we can make our own suppressors.  So help me understand this.

These oil filter adapters.  If you buy an oil filter adapter suppressor from a manufacturer, when you wear out the oil filter, you have to send it into the manufacturer to have a new oil filter engraved, so it's not cost effective.

But if we make our own suppressor, and engrave the oil filter ourself, then when it wears out, aren't we just replacing the baffles?  Engrave the new oil filter, & we're GTG?  Or no, there's something I'm not understanding?

Is it that we need to put the oil filter inside a cylinder, and engrave the cylinder, and then we can replace the oil filter whenever it wears out?  Provided we throw the old one away, & buy a new one @ NAPA, so we don't have any extra evil baffles lying around, they might strangle us in our sleep.
View Quote

The adapter is the controlled part, not the filter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
double
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, but I can buy the adapter @ the gun show - until there's a hole in the oil filter, the adapter isn't a controlled part - it's a what the hell do they call it?  Oh yeah, a "solvent trap."

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here, I'm just trying to understand why if you do the Form 1, aren't you the manufacturer?  So when the crappy oil filter wears out, you torch cut it into 4 pieces, then go down to the auto parts store & buy a new one.  I'm missing something, or everyone would be doing this.  What is that something?

Is it another $200 to engrave a new oil filter?  Even if we put it inside a fixed length can?  Is it only SOTs can repair suppressors & replace baffles?  But if you manufactured your own suppressor, and a baffle breaks, surely you can open up the can, remove the broken baffle, torch cut it into 4 parts, make a new baffle, & repair your own suppressor, right?  So why can't I replace the oil filter inside my can?

I understand no one is doing this b/c we think it's illegal.  What I'm not understanding is WHY it's illegal.  Is there a BATFE Tech Branch letter that forbids oil filter suppressors?  No, b/c there's someone selling tax stamped engraved ones.  So why can't we do this?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They're expensive for a couple of reasons:
1.  Limited market.  
2.  Mystique
3.  Materials:  Sure, you can make one (with proper stamps) on your CNC mill, but WHAT are you going to make it out of?  Stainless?  Won't hold up long as a blast baffle in anything other than .22.  Titanium?  Good luck finding stock to machine, and then machining it with your tools.  Inconel?  Expensive, might be difficult to machine, might be hard to source.

Sure, you might be thinking you'll just make some spare parts, but ATF says that suppressor parts ARE suppressors, and unless you're a 07/02 FFL you better not have any un-papered parts laying around.  I'm not sure of the legalities of repairing a Form 1 suppressor, but you better look into that before you get too far.

You can't experiment with different baffle and stack designs, as each configuration may be considered a separate suppressor in the eyes of ATF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may try this.  I went looking at suppressors this past weekend and was shocked at the price of them, considering how easy they seem to be to manufacture with the right tools.

I went to Grabcad today and found files for many different styles.  None seemed overly complicated.

Thanks

1.  Limited market.  
2.  Mystique
3.  Materials:  Sure, you can make one (with proper stamps) on your CNC mill, but WHAT are you going to make it out of?  Stainless?  Won't hold up long as a blast baffle in anything other than .22.  Titanium?  Good luck finding stock to machine, and then machining it with your tools.  Inconel?  Expensive, might be difficult to machine, might be hard to source.

Sure, you might be thinking you'll just make some spare parts, but ATF says that suppressor parts ARE suppressors, and unless you're a 07/02 FFL you better not have any un-papered parts laying around.  I'm not sure of the legalities of repairing a Form 1 suppressor, but you better look into that before you get too far.

You can't experiment with different baffle and stack designs, as each configuration may be considered a separate suppressor in the eyes of ATF.

I will only agree with you on point 1.  That is the sole reason suppressors are so expensive, lots of R&D and a fairly small market.  Tooling is a cost as is materials, but your idea that SS is incompatible as a blast baffle is totally fucking wrong.  It is the preferred blast baffle material in form 1 builds.  Also, titanium is really no worse to machine than stainless, just needs the right tools and the right SFM feeds.  You could get plenty of titanium and inconel on ebay right now too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, but I can buy the adapter @ the gun show - until there's a hole in the oil filter, the adapter isn't a controlled part - it's a what the hell do they call it?  Oh yeah, a "solvent trap."

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here, I'm just trying to understand why if you do the Form 1, aren't you the manufacturer?  So when the crappy oil filter wears out, you torch cut it into 4 pieces, then go down to the auto parts store & buy a new one.  I'm missing something, or everyone would be doing this.  What is that something?

Is it another $200 to engrave a new oil filter?  Even if we put it inside a fixed length can?  Is it only SOTs can repair suppressors & replace baffles?  yes But if you manufactured your own suppressor, and a baffle breaks, surely you can open up the can, remove the broken baffle, torch cut it into 4 parts, make a new baffle, & repair your own suppressor, right?No you cannot, unless it is on a new form, or you are an 07/02  So why can't I replace the oil filter inside my can?

I understand no one is doing this b/c we think it's illegal.  What I'm not understanding is WHY it's illegal.  Is there a BATFE Tech Branch letter that forbids oil filter suppressors?  No, b/c there's someone selling tax stamped engraved ones.  So why can't we do this?  because it is explicitly illegal
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously, some of you need to read around a little before you get fucked.  

ANY SUPPRESSOR PART IS A CONTROLLED PART!

IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE OR POSSES SPARE PARTS THAT ARE NOT ON THEIR OWN FORM 1 !

ONLY A MANUFACTURER MAY REPLACE PARTS!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
approved
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you think we're asking the questions up front?

Here's the disconnect.  If I build an AR from an 80% lower, ain't I the manufacturer?  If I send in my $200, & get a stamp back, & build my suppressor - with as fancy an internal baffle stack as you may dream of, ain't I the manufacturer?  So if I ding one of the baffles, you're saying I can't remove it, destroy it, & then build another single baffle & replace it, even though I'm the one that built the suppressor in the first place?

Let me ask it another way.  Let's say I get my stamp, and build a suppressor w/ 10 separate internal baffles.  I ding one.  I destroy that baffle by torch cutting it into 4 parts.  I now have 9 baffles.  I can't make a new baffle to replace the one that was destroyed?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If you build your own suppressor on a form 1, no one but you is ever going to know whether or not it consists of it's original parts that you made "the day after" you got the form with stamp affixed in your mailbox.

Given that... does it really matter whether it's illegal or not?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, if you make your own, you are the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making a suppressor does not make you an FFL-holding licensed manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1.  Limited market.  
2.  Mystique

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may try this.  I went looking at suppressors this past weekend and was shocked at the price of them, considering how easy they seem to be to manufacture with the right tools.

I went to Grabcad today and found files for many different styles.  None seemed overly complicated.

Thanks

1.  Limited market.  
2.  Mystique

1 and 2 are correct.  I can buy a suppressor here for $100-$200, so there is nothing to the cost of design, materials, or manufacturing that that won't cover unless you think companies on this side of the world give shit away for free (they don't).
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
ATF considers a suppressor part to be classified as a suppressor. I hope that lawsuit on the muzzle brake overturns that.

If someone sponsors the NFA taxes, I'll start legally making shit out of ordinary household items to muffle the report if a firearm  to help present the evidence in front of a federal judge to prove that according to the ATF that everyone is in possession of silencer parts.

I wonder how many potatoes, soda bottles, and water balloons are on the NFA registry?   I'm sure someone made suppressors out of pipe and freeze plugs.

Jury nullification could apply in a criminal case regarding these circumstances.

ETA: or run a thread tap into some plywood

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#14]
The adapter is the controlled part, not the filter.
View Quote

They are serialized together, and to replace the oil filter it has to go back to the SOT that built it, and they can "repair" it.  

So... don't think you can just change the oil filter once it gets all shot up.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Prints for anything more complicated than two boards bolted together into an X shape at minimum should be gone over with a fine tooth comb to check dimensions, tolerancing, and hardware selection, especially if drawn by an amateur or even in a business without solid drawing checkers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Word to the wise.  Check your Grabcad files for dimensional inconsistencies.  I fucked up an 80% lower by just programming on a model without vetting it.

But then for something like a Sparrow I don't know why you'd even bother using someone elses model.

Prints for anything more complicated than two boards bolted together into an X shape at minimum should be gone over with a fine tooth comb to check dimensions, tolerancing, and hardware selection, especially if drawn by an amateur or even in a business without solid drawing checkers.

I know that as well as anyone.  I got lazy.  On a funnier note, Grabcad models seem to be correct more often than models I get from my customers
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO. A non-licensee who makes a firearm or a suppressor is a maker.
A manufacturer is a person or entity which holds a license to manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ha!  There's the distinction I was looking for.  Thanks for clearing that up.

You can MAKE a suppressor, but only a MANUFACTURER can REPAIR it.  Which is why we don't all have $5 oil filters hanging off our $200 tax stamped engraved "solvent traps".
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
K baffles are pretty easy to make and work well.
My last build.
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/2013-06-08_20-31-18_972_zps782d4ff0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/2013-06-08_20-31-18_972_zps782d4ff0.jpg</a>
End caps
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/2013-06-08_12-16-51_286_zpsabc429eb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/2013-06-08_12-16-51_286_zpsabc429eb.jpg</a>
Stack O' guts
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/2013-06-14_19-12-10_110_zps5aee409a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/2013-06-14_19-12-10_110_zps5aee409a.jpg</a>
100% Titanium F1
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/2013-06-15_20-24-58_689_zps3dec0a5f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/2013-06-15_20-24-58_689_zps3dec0a5f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Winning!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top