Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2014 4:40:25 PM EDT
Over the years I've had personal knowledge of several stories in the local news ranging from a story on in vitro fertilization to a mid-air collision and a few in between.  In every single case the press has misrepresented the story badly or at least missed the larger details in order to skew the impression one direction or another.

For example, my parents had a hard time conceiving children and when I was about 13 they finally tried in vitro (test tube).  they were interviewed by the local TV station and a major concern of the 'reporter' was that the gov't should fund these treatments.  My dad stated without question that he was against any gov't involvement. When the story hit the TV a few days later they had clipped and skewed his words until it appeared he was for gov't support.  I remember my old man being livid, and I've never trusted a single story since.

So, am I alone?  Has the press completely lost your trust?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I think most reporters and their stories are completely full of shit. They even get cute/vindictive when you tell them "I don't talk to the press"

Assholes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes, but it's not an issue that makes any difference to anybody.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a situation at an old workplace. They interviewed some guy down the road who said he worked there and how it all happened. We were between   / / the whole day.

I personally knew someone involved in an altercation. This person was a 100% shit starter and was violent. But he wasn't the one that started the fight with the security guard at some store at the mall. News totally nailed that one. Might be true, that poor security guard probably dealt with him enough to want to kick his ass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs poll.

I agree. Nothing I've been privy to has been remotely close the actual events.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Many incidents we had at work made the news, none were ever reported correctly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah. Sports scores, want ads, community events, etc. Actual journalism or weather?  Nah.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Following the money trail always leads to the answer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That was my first thought too. Not since Dewey beat Truman.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Firearms or aircraft related - No, never and not even close!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope. In all the dealings I've had with any press they can't get even the simplest details correct.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Modern broadcast and print news is just the glorified, exaggerated version of the small town gossip.

When there is real news, they slant it.

When there is no news, they manufacture it.

All of it filters through their own warped sense of self and mission... and the mission of most gossips is to damage, incriminate and eviscerate then dance over the carnage so more people pay attention to THEM.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Anything aviation related is enough to make you want to shoot your TV.
I was involved in a school shooting back in the late 90s.  I also knew one of the camera man doing some of the reporting.  He admitted they didn't care so much about the truth, as long as it made a good story.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
It's because it's ALL breaking news and the facts are in "flux" and they can report assumptions and wild speculation just like it was fact.

About the only news source I think even gets "close" is FOX and it's still a major outlet so they are wrong on stuff most of the time.

Locally it's 3 or 4 people with a camera on a stand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why I'm amazed the aviation community has bought all the negative press about unmanned aircraft.  I have a lot of time flying both and they fuck up stories about both so badly it's almost criminal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been quoted in the newspaper before, and every single time they either quoted what i said completely out of context or made up words out of thin air.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's why I'm amazed the aviation community has bought all the negative press about unmanned aircraft.  I have a lot of time flying both and they fuck up stories about both so badly it's almost criminal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have flown r/c aircraft for about 30 years and full scale for 3.  It is like they don't even try.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Over the years I've had personal knowledge of several stories in the local news ranging from a story on in vitro fertilization to a mid-air collision and a few in between.  In every single case the press has misrepresented the story badly or at least missed the larger details in order to skew the impression one direction or another.

For example, my parents had a hard time conceiving children and when I was about 13 they finally tried in vitro (test tube).  they were interviewed by the local TV station and a major concern of the 'reporter' was that the gov't should fund these treatments.  My dad stated without question that he was against any gov't involvement. When the story hit the TV a few days later they had clipped and skewed his words until it appeared he was for gov't support.  I remember my old man being livid, and I've never trusted a single story since.
So, am I alone?
View Quote

No.  The physicist Murray Gell-Mann noticed the same thing; issues covered in the news that he had firsthand knowledge about were often reported completely wrong.  And yet, he noted that when he read about events/issues that he didn't he assumed the press got it right in those cases, when it's likely they were just as poorly covered as his familiar issues/events.

It's called the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]

my friends got busted for LSD back in the early 90s. the news blew shit way out of proportion. tried to make it look like a satanic drug cult.

but they never mentioned that the District Attorneys son was there during the raid, but they did show a clip of him leaving the house.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hell, I was ordered to spoon feed a reporter the details on a home invasion, sexual abuse case I worked when I arrested the fuckstains involved.  Didn't even recognize the story as my case when it hit print.  Fuckin' reporters can't even get a gimme right.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive read news accounts of events I witnessed and they never got the details right. Not once.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I've come to the same conclusion and made the same comment to friends in the past that EVERY news story I was privy to was reported incorrectly by the press.

I've also seen first hand how reporters collude with liberal activists to "stage" photos and video to make crowds seem more dramatic, or to wordsmith articles and on-air presentations. They truly believe that the deception is for the good. They see no problem with it at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
The "journalist" is one of the lowest forms of life known to science.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
The great thing about the death spiral newspapers are currently facing is that it will drastically reduce the number of "professional" journalists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to get them right.

I didn't last very long.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#28]
As a good friend once said, "They always never get it right."  Especially the breaking news, whether it is a missing plane, school shooting, sinking ferry, etc, the first reports, no matter what is being reported is always wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Commuter train I'm normally on hit a car. The press said that she ran the signal and the train conducted barely had time to hit the brakes and the car was hit.

Conductor told us that the press wasn't even there and that the lady didn't run the signals. Her car slipped off the road to one side of the crossing and got stuck on the tracks well before the train came. And it was a long straight track there so the engineer saw it and hit the brakes. Just took a long time to slow down but he wasn't gong fast when the car impacted. Lady was out of the car the whole time too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to naively think they got stories right when they were reporting about shit I didn't have any knowledge about.  Then I realized they get it ALL wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Funny Papers
ETA:

Part Persuasion

Part Obfuscation

Part Disinformation

Part Idiocy

Occasionally, a shred of truth when it's either inconsequential or unlikely to do any serious harm.

Here's one of my favorites:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]
There was a homicide several years ago where someone I knew was shot and killed while riding in a car. There were several newspaper articles and broadcast reports about it, and the press would routinely get major facts incorrect like
  • The name of the victim
  • The location of the shooting
  • Where the victim lived
  • Who owned the car
This story was a little higher profile than your normal everyday murder, so you'd think they'd pay more attention to checking their facts. I sure that sometimes they get it right, but in this case they didn't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#33]
There is always a little truth.  Never the full truth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My son was once injured on the playground at school. He sustained a head wound from a bolt that stuck out from a pole on the jungle gym and was airlifted to the local trauma center. The wound hole was perfectly circular leading one of the paramedics on scene to state that it looked like he had been shot with a pellet gun. Somehow, the press got wind of this "possible gunshot to the head". I'm guessing it got out on the radio or something. Next thing you know, the local news is reporting a kid was shot in the head at the local elementary school.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I was hit head on by a drunk driver. We were both doing 55-60 mph on a two lane highway. He died at the scene and I was reported dead by the news. I think I was knocked out for a few seconds, but I didn't even ride in the ambulance to the hospital despite my left foot being mangled up pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]

1. In my life I've been involved with or witnessed 4 or 5 news worthy events. In every case the paper or TV story that followed the event had at least one major fact completely wrong and most of the details wrong as well.

2. I've known 2 people in my life that wanted to be "journalists" and did just that and I had a neighbor that was a reporter. All 3 of them were tremendous assholes and/or were clueless.

3. My aunt by marriage is the editorial editor of NJ's largest newspaper and writes a column each Sunday. She is fucking bat-shit insane.

4. As I often point out, I co-own and run the Haunted House in my avatar. We are in NJ and survived Sandy and the fire in Seaside heights. We have been in the papers and TV several times. Last year 2 reporters came down for an interview. They talked with me, my partner who built the Haunted House and our manager/lead actor. They talked for 2 hours and took pictures. The reporter wrote exactly 5 lines in a small notepad. They printed a story that was 3/4 of a page and was 70% inaccurate. I will no longer be quoted, interviewed or appear on film.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Anything that portrays a cop in a negative light is automatically right. Duh.

At least 87% of posters in this thread will rage about the media never getting anything right and then go on to post some kind of derptastic knee-jerk response in a cop thread. Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At least 87% of posters in this thread will rage about the media never getting anything right and then go on to post some kind of derptastic knee-jerk response in a cop thread. Guaranteed.
View Quote

There's a huge difference in authenticity between primary sources(video) and secondary sources(the press writing a story). The focus in this thread is on the unreliability of secondary sources. The cop bashing bandwagon doesn't really pick up steam unless there's damning evidence from primary source that puts the derp squarely in the court of the cop defenders.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Reporters are incapable of comprehending or repeating facts. Which is why I ignore them when they want to talk to me

They also appear to have absolutely no concept of grammar or spelling. Makes reading any of their garbage rather difficult to begin with.

I did a short interview with a newspaper guy once, I think he got one or two sentences of what I said into the article. At least he didn't turn it into something completely different.

Plenty of stuff that I witnessed or was involved in was completely mis-reported. Anything involving hard facts or numbers gets mutilated.

I wrecked a gas tanker(long story - blacked out, ended up getting a pacemaker, blah blah blah), every news story I saw said something different - and other than the obvious fact that a truck had crashed, almost nothing else was consistent. Then there are the comment sections so popular on news sites these days - although I laugh when I notice how they disable that feature on certain stories(usually local political scandals or gun related), anyway some guy gets into the comments saying he had pulled me out of the wrecked truck... Which was complete BS, I walked out on my own. I was in the hospital for a week with no or limited internet so I missed out on the fun, but a friend of my mother ripped into the guy. It was fun to read later.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
2. I've known 2 people in my life that wanted to be "journalists" and did just that and I had a neighbor that was a reporter. All 3 of them were tremendous assholes and/or were clueless.
View Quote

While I was writing for the local paper and getting paid, I figured what the heck and volunteered as a photographer for the college newspaper. This put me in direct contact with "journalism students" as I was not a journalism major and really wanted nothing to do with them. At one point, some promoter rented the school's hall and put on a show with the Royal Lippizaner Stallions. These horses are trained in old European cavalry moves, including jumping straight up about five feet from a standstill with a rider. Apparently, this was a good way to not get stabbed.

I met with the "journalism student" who informed me that she already wrote the story and didn't want to go. I convinced her to go. I was the school's photographer, so I got to run around the arena and do whatever I wanted and got some awesome pictures. After the show, I dragged her over to meet the riders and the trainer. I interviewed them because she refused to talk to them.

This was hardly the exception. One of the "journalism students" tried to get us to make a video of his campus protest to "raise awareness" about the homeless. He picked the wrong two people to ask. I was a volunteer EMT and my friend Steve was a volunteer firefighter. There was a homeless shelter (real one) about ten minutes down the road that I knew about because my mother was a minister and regularly collected food to bring there.

So I told Mr. Raising Awareness that if he was really that concerned about the homeless, there was a shelter right down the street and they always needed an extra hand.

"Oh, I'm not going to do that."

This was in the 1980s. It has gotten much worse since then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There's a huge difference in authenticity between primary sources(video) and secondary sources(the press writing a story). The focus in this thread is on the unreliability of secondary sources. The cop bashing bandwagon doesn't really pick up steam unless there's damning evidence from primary source that puts the derp squarely in the court of the cop defenders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You appear to be unaware of a video technique called "editing." It's new, it's okay. Most people on arfcom seem to have no idea that you can cut up pieces of video and make them show whatever you want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.  The physicist Murray Gell-Mann noticed the same thing; issues covered in the news that he had firsthand knowledge about were often reported completely wrong.  And yet, he noted that when he read about events/issues that he didn't he assumed the press got it right in those cases, when it's likely they were just as poorly covered as his familiar issues/events.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, am I alone?

Q: What does being a journalist have in common with being an economist?

A: In both professions, you can be wrong all the time - and still keep your job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#43]

I have been in dozens of investigations, arrests, and incidents that have made the local news and have yet to see even 40% on the facts correct in any of them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

A: In both professions, you can be wrong all the time - and still keep your job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, am I alone?

Q:  Why did God make economists?

A:  To make weathermen look good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#45]
High velocity shoulder thing that goes up; spray-fired from the hip at 30-40 clips per second. Weapon of choice for terrorists on the streets.

Now imagine every news story on every topic is that accurate. MIND - BLOWN
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:09:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife's a "journalist" for a trade publication. She freely admits she has no idea what she's generally talking about, but her coworkers mostly think they're SMEs (not just quoting SMEs)

Most of them are also biased as hell and make jokes about it, and will happily use biased sources to get the angle they want. And will spike stories that don't agree with them.

Basically everything you think about reporters is true. Even for trade publications.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been involved in several hundred incidents which made various print, television, and radio outlets.  Only the shortest articles about late occurring shootings were accurate.  Basically, the articles said at a certain time near a certain intersection, a person was shot.  There were no arrests.

The limit on accuracy seems to be three sentences.  Anything longer, expect an error.

The most egregious was a radio article I did.  I  agreed to an interview as long as I was granted anonymity.  I was asked to comment on an incident involving a specialized unit.  I had only knowledge that I had gotten from the media, and did not know the unit's SOPs, so I declined to speak about it since I really didn't know anything about the topic.  Instead I spoke about something that was major, even national news concerning the whole department.  My comments were cut and edited to seem to be answers to questions I was never asked about the specialized unit.  That's a completely false and intentionally misleading product.

Due to my experiences with the media, I am convinced that their primary concern is making money through sales and ratings, second is advancing their own agendas, and truth is a sad, distant third.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Most media, especially national news, is an advertising business who's goal it is to make money.  Controversy, violence, craziness and outrage get more people to watch and visit their websites, which directly translates to profit.  Real journalism died a slow, cold death a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sometimes, but it's not an issue that makes any difference to anybody.
View Quote

I heard a story about some puppy training company that was fair.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top