Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 11:14:12 AM EDT
Has anyone tried diatomaceous earth to control insects?  Spiders are bad at one of my rentals.  How is it used?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me read our product manual for once...brb.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Worked for fleas in one of my rentals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok!

We resell a product called Protect-It specifically as a stored grain treatment.

It "can" work, applied around the foundations of your rentals, but I doubt it would be cost effective. We sell it at $77.00 / 22lb bag; I do not know how effective would be after a rain, so my concern would be for it to be truly effective you would have to apply it quite regularly.

A normal pesticide application regimen would likely be more effective for cost and pest control.

EDIT: I am merely the controller, and couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst. "you probably wouldn't want it anyway, so I just won't wast my time."
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone recommended we try this for fleas a few years ago.  Didnt work and made a gawdawful mess.  It's fine ground like talc or sevendust.  Horrible time cleaning it up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Diatomaceous earth works by cutting the shell of insects that have exoskeletons so that they die of dehydration. I don't think it work directly on spiders but it will probably help get rid of them by getting rid of their insect food source. It wiped out zillions of ants around my doors and i didn't even know that the ants were there.

Be careful, some DE has Boric Acid in it and BA is bad news for the liver of all animals.  If I wanted to use DE and had kids or pets,  I'd buy it from a pool supply company instead of a HD type store so that it wouldn''t have any BA in it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the appropriate type of DE for pest control in a residential environment.

There is stuff for your pool filter and then there's stuff for pest control. The wrong type will make people and pets sick. Like, going to die, sick.

ETA: Get "food grade" DE.  DO NOT USE pool filter DE. It is ground too fine and will cause lung damage to people and pets.

More about using DE
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
we tried it for those miserable little bitty tiny ants, and I don't remember that it worked all that well
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried it, and it didn't work worth a shit IMO.  I was having ant problems, and have had much better luck with commercially available insecticides.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]

I tried the Food grade DE (Safe to eat) stuff in my basement for fleas. I coated the whole floor in it. It didnt seem to help. Fleas still jumped on me when I walked over it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I did the perimeter of my house with the insect grade stuff several times over a couple of summers to control scorpions.  No help at all against them or the other insects around the house...

Put a scorpion in a Tupperware container with 1/4" of the stuff in the bottom and 3 weeks later he was as frisky as ever.  If he was even arthritic it didn't show.

Maybe it takes longer than that, but that was too long to convince me that they'd die from the stuff...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I use it for flea control in my yard.  Works great and harmless to the pets and kids.  My yard was a flea haven when I bought this place and none of the other insecticides made a dent.  A neighbor recommended DE and my yard has been "flea-free" for over 5 years now.  I apply it about once a month during the spring/summer.   Seems to keep the chiggers at bay, too.

Doesn't work well for spiders since most of them walk with their abdomens off the ground.  They have to drag themselves through it for it to be really effective.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the appropriate type of DE for pest control in a residential environment.

There is stuff for your pool filter and then there's stuff for pest control. The wrong type will make people and pets sick. Like, going to die, sick.

ETA: Get "food grade" DE.  DO NOT USE pool filter DE. It is ground too fine and will cause lung damage to people and pets.

More about using DE
View Quote

+1

Many farm/garden supply places sell it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing, NOTHING, beats good old fashioned POISON!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually just did an experiment with DE two days ago. I scooped up some ants in a cup and introduced a pinch of DE to see what would happen. It took a few hours, but eventually all the ants died.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top