Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You guys everywhere else don't understand how bad it is here . . . my street runeth over with liberal tears.  Going to need a boat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Deal!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are churches opt-in or opt-out?

I'm also curious how the airport bit works out with Hartsfield.  They were supposed to let us carry while there already, but have stated that they would violate the law and arrest us.  
View Quote

It's up to each individual church if they allow carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also curious how the airport bit works out with Hartsfield.  They were supposed to let us carry while there already, but have stated that they would violate the law and arrest us.  

Right, but as a carrier, is the default legal assumption that they permit it or that they don't?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out how NBC "News" presents the story:

What Georgia's 'Extreme' New Gun Law Allows

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a new gun law Wednesday that greatly expands the number of public places where licensed owners are allowed to carry their weapons. Critics have called the law “extreme,” while the National Rifle Association lauded it as an “historic victory for the Second Amendment. What does the Safe Carry Protection Act really do? Here’s a brief list of the major changes ahead for Georgians when the law takes effect July 1:

link

Good for you Georgia!  We have had "bar carry" here in OH for a while and all of the same liberal, emotional, sky is falling BS was said before hand.  Blood in the streets, etc.  Nothing like that has happened.  God forbid someone is able to stand up and protect themselves without a .gov based solution.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Meanwhile, in Connecticut, we have a "pro gun" gubernatorial candidate who wants to make us "assault weapons" owners take additional safety courses and qualify to keep our weapons.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good for Georgia!

Guns in Church! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Ellijay, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a wide-ranging gun bill into law Wednesday that has critics howling and proponents applauding.

House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports.

GeorgiaCarry, which lobbied for the bill, calls it "meaningful pro-gun legislation," despite it being watered down from the group's perspective. Still, the group has lauded the legislation, which will go into effect July 1. Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the bill, calling it "extremism in action."
View Quote

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/us/georgia-governor-signs-gun-bill/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bloomberg...kiss my ass!!!
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right, but as a carrier, is the default legal assumption that they permit it or that they don't?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure that assumption can be made.

An organization like the UMC may very well tell all of its churches in GA to ban carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I am once again proud of my home state.  Way to go GCO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good job you redneck Georgians.    

Hopefully this means reciprocity with South Carolina is right around the corner.

View Quote

Honestly, that's something which should have been squared away in both states years ago.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Honestly, that's something which should have been squared away in both states years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully this means reciprocity with South Carolina is right around the corner.

+1000 SC has it's head up it's ass in regards to things like that. I believe GCO is actively seeking to sue SC to allow carry. Many members have met all of the qualifications of getting a SC permit other than owning property there then applied for a permit as grounds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talking to an SC transplant at work, it's SC's fault.  They have training requirements for their permit, we don't and they don't want to reciprocate with a state with laxer requirements.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a new gun law Wednesday that greatly expands the number of public places where licensed owners are allowed to carry their weapons. Critics have called the law “extreme,” while the National Rifle Association lauded it as an “historic victory for the Second Amendment. What does the Safe Carry Protection Act really do? Here’s a brief list of the major changes ahead for Georgians when the law takes effect July 1:

link

Good for you Georgia!  We have had "bar carry" here in OH for a while and all of the same liberal, emotional, sky is falling BS was said before hand.  Blood in the streets, etc.  Nothing like that has happened.  God forbid someone is able to stand up and protect themselves without a .gov based solution.
View Quote

Wow, it eliminates fingerprinting for the GWL creates a renewal system that doesn't require fingerprinting when renewing. I didn't realize that. Nice!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Talking to an SC transplant at work, it's SC's fault.  They have training requirements for their permit, we don't and they don't want to reciprocate with a state with laxer requirements.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't accept non-resident permits. You also can't get a SC permit without owning property there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wow, it eliminates fingerprinting for the GWL. I didn't realize that. Nice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

Maaaan.  I literally got my GWl renewed in February and had to be fingerprinted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

I believe that's only for renewals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

Renewals don't exist, or at least they didn't pre-this law.  Every "renewal" was a new application.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What I like:  Suppressors are allowed now for hunting (subject to certain restrictions by the game wardens), and local school boards can choose whether to let school staff carry or not.  It's of local import, it SHOULD be a local choice.

What I don't like:  We still don't have campus carry.  But it's a damn fine step in the right direction.  Well done, GCO!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good for Georgia!

Guns in Church! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Ellijay, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a wide-ranging gun bill into law Wednesday that has critics howling and proponents applauding.

House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports.

GeorgiaCarry, which lobbied for the bill, calls it "meaningful pro-gun legislation," despite it being watered down from the group's perspective. Still, the group has lauded the legislation, which will go into effect July 1. Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the bill, calling it "extremism in action."
View Quote

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/us/georgia-governor-signs-gun-bill/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
View Quote

We are all going to die, I have been assured!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
+1000 SC has it's head up it's ass in regards to things like that. I believe GCO is actively seeking to sue SC to allow carry. Many members have met all of the qualifications of getting a SC permit other than owning property there then applied for a permit as grounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sherriff's deputy I have known for years got pulled over in full uniform in squad car crossing the border into SC transporting a prisoner with a SC warrant. SC officers made them disarm and put their pistols in the trunk

I try as hard as I can to stay out of South Carolina
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sherriff's deputy I have known for years got pulled over in full uniform in squad car crossing the border into SC transporting a prisoner with a SC warrant. SC officers made them disarm and put their pistols in the trunk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My best friend spent 3 days in jail for having a loaded pistol in his bag, he was ignorant of SC law.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And don't accept non-resident permits. You also can't get a SC permit without owning property there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither my FL nor NH permit is good in SC. WTF? C'mon, SC, get with the (somewhat) free states.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Renewals don't exist, or at least they didn't pre-this law.  Every "renewal" was a new application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

Both good points. I meant for renewals--just typed fast. But, I believe you're right, there was no such thing before.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Opt-in
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That they do not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That they do not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That they do not.

Thanks.  GPDO is normally where I go for the simple explanation of our state gun laws, but I don't think they've updated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
So, after this little incident in Brunswick GA last year,
Does the new GA law allow HCPers or CCWers carry in municipal parks to protect themselves from wild animals?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed/
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Does the new GA law allow HCPers or CCWers carry in municipal parks to protect themselves from wild animals?

View Quote

State law has preempted municipalities and counties a while now.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Georgia law already allows carrying in parks.  Georgia law also says that state gun laws preempt local gun laws, so municipalities can not ban firearms in parks. Nothing would have prevented the victim's parents from carrying, assuming they had a permit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats Ga.

Well done.

Now, can I carry at the Masters?

TXL
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Congrats Ga.

Well done.

TXL
View Quote

You could always carry at the Masters, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Congrats Ga.

Well done.

TXL
View Quote

Private organization on private property, I believe.  Their decision.

Edit: Website says no.  "Prohibited Items ... Weapons of any kind (regardless of permit)"

Link
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Georgia law already allows carrying in parks.  Georgia law also says that state gun laws preempt local gun laws, so municipalities can not ban firearms in parks. Nothing would have prevented the victim's parents from carrying, assuming they had a permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Breven52 is wrong.  Last week the TN legislature after, blustering and chest beating, killed its bill that would have preempted local gun laws prohibiting carry in muni-parks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So Breven52 is wrong.  Last week the TN legislature after, blustering and chest beating, killed its bill that would have preempted local gun laws prohibiting carry in muni-parks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preemption was before this bill.  If he was referring solely to this bill, then he may still be right.  It's ambiguous which he meant.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Edit: Website says no.  "Prohibited Items ... Weapons of any kind (regardless of permit)"

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats Ga.

Well done.

TXL

Link

Which carries no legal weight unless you're found out and told to leave.

If you refused, you could be charged with criminal trespass.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats Ga.

Well done.

TXL

Link

You're right.  Thought he was asking if it was kosher, rather than legal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats Ga.

Well done.

TXL

Link

That's my impression as well, I just wanted to clarify.

I figured you knew that.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#41]
It's on the front page of CNN.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It's on the front page of CNN.
View Quote
And HUFFPO.

GUNZZZ EVERYWHEREZ!!!  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Strong work Georgia!!!  In before someone from another state contests this as a non-victory?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Tennessee did all those except make the exemption for soldiers in like 2010. No blood in the streets or daily bar shootouts (except for Memphis, which we all know is not Tennessee)
View Quote

Except in Tennessee, a "no guns" sign means you can be arrested if you carry there, and local governments can ban carry in public parks and don't even have to have it clearly posted for you to be liable for arrest if you carry there.  In Georgia, a "no guns" sign tells you the owners are assholes, and the list of places a person with a license can't legally carry is pretty short :-)

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Maaaan.  I literally got my GWl renewed in February and had to be fingerprinted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a new gun law Wednesday that greatly expands the number of public places where licensed owners are allowed to carry their weapons. Critics have called the law "extreme,” while the National Rifle Association lauded it as an "historic victory for the Second Amendment. What does the Safe Carry Protection Act really do? Here’s a brief list of the major changes ahead for Georgians when the law takes effect July 1:

link

Mine was last week... I'd held out a bit hoping the law would go into effect as soon as it was signed, but then found out it takes effect July 1st, so went ahead and renewed.  Old permit doesn't expire until next week.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#48]
GA > TX.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#49]
It's a start, but it's not near far enough until the phrase gun-control law is seen as so toxic that nobody dare utter it ever again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Outstanding GA
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top