User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stephen Hawking can glance at a whiteboard covered with equations and give you the answer. By this fucked up idiocy, he'd be held back.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

Stephen Hawking can glance at a whiteboard covered with equations and give you the answer. By this fucked up idiocy, he'd be held back.

The ironic part of this post is that the Hawk gained most of his notoriety from writing books which explained extraordinarily complex topics in ways that commoners could understand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your kids teacher wants your kid to teach the other children how to do the work; this will reduce your child's skill level while somewhat increasing the skill level of the other children. It makes his teachers job easier.

In other words, your kid just got hit with a smart tax, the goal is to make every one in the class equally stupid. This will suit your kid well in meeting common core's end goal, namely fitting him for the common labor pool. In work force terms, what your kid just experienced is called a "horizontal promotion".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

Your kids teacher wants your kid to teach the other children how to do the work; this will reduce your child's skill level while somewhat increasing the skill level of the other children. It makes his teachers job easier.

In other words, your kid just got hit with a smart tax, the goal is to make every one in the class equally stupid. This will suit your kid well in meeting common core's end goal, namely fitting him for the common labor pool. In work force terms, what your kid just experienced is called a "horizontal promotion".

wut.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Let me know when you burn your company to the ground.  Until then....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most difficult part about common core math is that parents (I am not one) also have to learn the methodology in order to support their kids schooling.

I have no knowledge of "place value understanding". I had to look this up.

It seems things take a turn around grade 2 & 3 and require specific understanding of the methodology used to "answer" simple math questions.

Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core Standards - Mathematics

ParentGuide_Math_3

I am a mechanical engineer.  I owned and operated a company for twenty years.  

I just read the road map for third graders.

Every fucking teacher who allows that stupid shit to happen to kids needs to be fired and have a tatoo put on their forehead so that they can never again allowed to near a child.

It made lots of money even when the economy tanked in 2008 and was growing more when I sold it.

The reason why it made money is because I listened to the customers and fixed problems for them.  The young man that stupid teacher is abusing probably isn't as socially awkward as that stupid bitch thinks he is.  He just might prefer to listen and learn instead of blabbing on about how little he knows.  It isn't his fault that the other kids can't or won't learn what he taught to himself.  There is a time to speak up and a time to be quite.

When I ran that business, I began noticing that it was much more common for the youngest workers to be more about spewing nonsensical crap than they were about listening to the skilled and knowlegable worker's around them.

The sudden uptick in this behaviour led me to suspect the school system was to blame and now we have prove.

The opening statements in that guide are the self important crowings of some egg head who likes to hear how good they are at saving the poor children.  Now they want the poor kid to be just like fucking obama.  An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, but is the first to open his yap and crow about it the kids who are take his word for it.

Those number lines aren't going to teach shit.

Math teachers were always the worse sorts.  They liked math for it's own sake when the majority of the world just needs to use it as a tool.

Those idiots always figured out how to make everything more difficult than it actually was.

I remember algebra freshman year in high school.  The stupid teacher had everybody all fucked up for several days of class.  Luckily, the stupid bastard got the flue and this old man came in to sub.  He immediately find's out that none of us knew what was going on and asks us if we knew what FOIL meant.   It took him two seconds of seeing our dumb looks and then he writes down, FOIL, First, Outside, Inside, Last.  Everybody, gasped.  He couldn't believe the teacher never showed us this and we couldn't either.

We went to the next lesson.

Most of those kids never got to trigonometry which is highly useful for lots of trades.  The ancient Egyptians invented it to be able to replot property lines after the annual Nile inundations destroyed the property line markers.

Having been through advanced math training every year all the way through my sophomore year in college, I found only one teacher that actually knew what he was doing.  It was my senior year in college in a turbomachinery course and the professor was a Phd. mechanical engineer from Taiwan.  He taught advanced math in the most straightforward manner I had ever scene.  Most of the students were shocked at how much more sense it made after having been through a full year of five hour calc freshman year and another year of 3 hour advanced math courses sophomore year.  

One of the professors even hinted that teaching math needed to be pulled away from the wierdo hippies in the math department and brought into the engineering department and we would all be better off.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

American public schools have mostly sucked for a very long time.

If your kid doesn't like public school, that's probably a good thing.  Teach him about the need to jump through hoops to shut the teacher up and encourage him to learn on his own time.

Alternatively - put them in a private school.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It made lots of money even when the economy tanked in 2008 and was growing more when I sold it.

The reason why it made money is because I listened to the customers and fixed problems for them.  The young man that stupid teacher is abusing probably isn't as socially awkward as that stupid bitch thinks he is.  He just might prefer to listen and learn instead of blabbing on about how little he knows.  It isn't his fault that the other kids can't or won't learn what he taught to himself.

The opening statements in that guide are the self important crowings of some egg head who likes to hear how good they are at saving the poor children.  Now they want the poor kid to be just like fucking obama.  An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, but is the first to open his yap and crow about it the kids who are take his word for it.

Math teachers were always the worse sorts.  They liked math for it's own sake when the majority of the world just needs to use it as a tool.

Those idiots always figured out how to make everything more difficult than it actually was.

I remember algebra freshman year in high school.  The stupid teacher had everybody all fucked up for several days of class.  Luckily, the stupid bastard got the flue and this old man came in to sub.  He immediately find's out that none of us knew what was going on and asks us if we knew what FOIL meant.   It took him two seconds of seeing our dumb looks and then he writes down, FOIL, First, Outside, Inside, Last.  Everybody, gasped.  He couldn't believe the teacher never showed us this and we couldn't either.

Most of those kids never got to trigonometry which is highly useful for lots of trades.  The ancient Egyptians invented it to be able to replot property lines after the annual Nile inundations destroyed the property line markers.

Having been through advanced math training every year all the way through my sophomore year in college, I found only one teacher that actually knew what he was doing.  It was my senior year in college in a turbomachinery course and the professor was a Phd. mechanical engineer from Taiwan.  He taught advanced math in the most straightforward manner I had ever scene.  Most of the students were shocked at how much more sense it made after having been through a full year of five hour calc freshman year and another year of 3 hour advanced math courses sophomore year.  

One of the professors even hinted that teaching math needed to be pulled away from the wierdo hippies in the math department and brought into the engineering department and we would all be better off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most difficult part about common core math is that parents (I am not one) also have to learn the methodology in order to support their kids schooling.

I have no knowledge of "place value understanding". I had to look this up.

It seems things take a turn around grade 2 & 3 and require specific understanding of the methodology used to "answer" simple math questions.

Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core Standards - Mathematics

ParentGuide_Math_3

I am a mechanical engineer.  I owned and operated a company for twenty years.  

I just read the road map for third graders.

Every fucking teacher who allows that stupid shit to happen to kids needs to be fired and have a tatoo put on their forehead so that they can never again allowed to near a child.

The reason why it made money is because I listened to the customers and fixed problems for them.  The young man that stupid teacher is abusing probably isn't as socially awkward as that stupid bitch thinks he is.  He just might prefer to listen and learn instead of blabbing on about how little he knows.  It isn't his fault that the other kids can't or won't learn what he taught to himself.

Good for you.

My point... you missed it.

I'll spell it out for you in very simple terms.

A.)  Teachers do what they are told.  Or they are eval'ed out and fired.
B.)  Teachers have no say in directives from the state.
C.)   If an employee wants to keep their job and needed income, they do what they are told to do by the ones that make the decisions.
D.)  When you are hauled in and told what you will do, you will do it or sign up for unemployment.

So... without another long-winded recital, I ask you again....  When are you going to burn your company to the ground and leave your profession?  That is exactly what you are demanding of others.

Or should we just brand "hypocrite" on your forehead now and never allow you around others?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My point... you missed it.
I'll spell it out for you in very simple terms.
A.)  Teachers do what they are told.  Or they are eval'ed out and fired.
B.)  Teachers have no say in directives from the state.
C.)   If an employee wants to keep their job and needed income, they do what they are told to do by the ones that make the decisions.
D.)  When you are hauled in and told what you will do, you will do it or sign up for unemployment.
So... without another long-winded recital, I ask you again....  When are you going to burn your company to the ground and leave your profession?  That is exactly what you are demanding of others.
Or should we just brand "hypocrite" on your forehead now and never allow you around others?
View Quote

Everything you said is bullshit and deeply sad.
The iron curtain came crashing down when critical mass happened and people just left.  Armed border guards left too instead of shooting them.  They probably did shoot at few at first.
Teacher's do have a say.  If they don't, then why are they in unions?  Contrary to popular belief, non union employees also have a say.  I knew damn well that if you want to run a business, you have to have the support of your employees.  That doesn't mean they were always happy, or that I didn't make mistakes, but it does mean, they had a say and they knew it.  Even people in the military have a say.  That doesn't mean they can get away with mutiny, but it does mean that we have had threads where ship commander's were relieved of command based on episodes of bad leadership as described by the crew.  The crew used their brains and bided their time.  In the end, they prevailed.
You just can't be stupid about it and you have to pick your battles and your timing.
I did it many times with that business.  I didn't burn it to the ground.  That would have been stupid.  But I often had to force my biggest customer to do things the right way instead of what they wanted.  If I lost that customer, I would be out of business.  Even so, there were occasions when the customer was totally wrong and screaming at me.  I gave back what they dished out and did what had to be done and proved myself right which got the problem fixed.  Sometimes, I finessed the situation later.  Othertimes, I confronted it like a brick wall.
Like it our not teachers, have more than just the "state", the school district or the federal government to work for.  Ultimately, all those entities have to keep the parents and the taxpayer's happy.
You are already hearing in this thread about dozens of people talking about home schooling, private schools, etc.
There is more than one way for the teachers to be fired.  They can be fired by their supervisor, or their school can be closed due to falling enrollment.
The coming years aren't going to be easy.  The government has been pushing and people are pushing back.  This time, most of them aren't hippies.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The iron curtain came crashing down when critical mass happened and people just left.  Armed border guards left too.

Teacher's do have a say.  If they don't, then why are they in unions?  Contrary to popular belief, non union employees have a say.  I knew damn well that if you want to run a business, you have to have the support of your employees.  That doesn't mean they were always happy, or that I didn't make mistakes, but it does mean, they had a say and they knew it.  Even people in the military have a say.  That doesn't mean they can get away with mutiny, but it does mean that we have had threads where ship commander's were relieved of command based on episodes of bad leadership as described by the crew.  The crew used their brains and bided their time.  In the end, they prevailed.

You just can't be stupid about it and you have to pick your battles and your timing.

I did it many times with that business.  I didn't burn it to the ground.  That would have been stupid.  But I often had to force my biggest customer to do things the right way instead of what they wanted.  If I lost that customer, I would be out of business.  Even so, there were an occasions when the customer was totally wrong and screaming at me.  I gave back what they dished out and did what had to be done and proved myself right which got the problem fixed.  Sometimes, I finessed the situation later.  Othertimes, I confronted it like a brick wall.

Like it our not teachers, have more than just the "state", the school district or the federal government to work for.  Ultimately, all those entities have to keep the parents and the taxpayer's happy.

You are already hearing in this thread about dozens of people talking about home schooling, private schools, etc.

There is more than one way for the teachers to be fired.  

The coming years aren't going to be easy.  The government has been pushing and people are pushing back.  This time, most of them aren't hippies.

View Quote

How many years have you been a teacher? I am a non-union teacher, and have been for 7 years.  I came into the profession after selling the investment management practice that I ran for 15 years.  I've seen both private and public sector in different capacities.

Seriously, you are so full of shit, your eyes are brown.

I've yet to see a situation where a single employee wasn't in a position where the employer couldn't replace them.  I've watched 14 teachers at my school leave the profession over common core in the last two years.

Do you know what has changed?  Not a damned thing.

Putting it quite simple.  I have bills to pay like anyone else.  I have a three year old that I am planning on private schooling, and paying for college.  I will do what my employer tells me to do, keep my job, and expect YOU VOTERS to address the legislators passing the rules that I am told to follow.

You tell me right now what a single teacher should do about this that doesn't involve financial ruination for HIS family and children. Who should I "relieve of command?"   Until then, you are barking up the wrong tree.

For that matter... when was the last time you told one of your clients to BREAK THE LAW or you would quit?  ANYONE that I voice my opinions to is going to follow the law that your legislators passed.  Shall I relieve our senators of "command?"

How about you first...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this.  It has nothing to do with common core math.  Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.  That's how I was growing up.  Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live.  I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up.  It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
View Quote

Agreed.  It's not good good enough anymore to be a walking calculator.  People in the real world have to communicate and work with other people.  Your kids apparently does this poorly and is not meeting expectations.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahhhh, the magic of federal government getting involved where it has no business
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:  

How many years have you been a teacher? I am a non-union teacher, and have been for 7 years.  I came into the profession after selling the investment management practice that I ran for 15 years.  I've seen both private and public sector in different capacities.
I've yet to see a situation where a single employee wasn't in a position where the employer couldn't replace them.  I've watched 14 teachers at my school leave the profession over common core in the last two years.
Putting it quite simple.  I have bills to pay like anyone else.  I have a three year old that I am planning on private schooling, and paying for college.  I will do what my employer tells me to do, keep my job, and expect YOU VOTERS to address the legislators passing the rules that I am told to follow.
You tell me right now what a single teacher should do about this that doesn't involve financial ruination for HIS family and children.   Until then, you are barking up the wrong tree.
View Quote

First, of all the teacher in this case went above and beyond doing what they were told and is punishing the student like a party member in good standing.
Second of all, your being a hopeless victim.  You not even defending common core and it took several posts before it to become apparent that it sounds like you don't much care for it either.
14 teachers quit over it and you are asking what a SINGLE teacher can do?  This isn't about you.
If you want to improve your lot, find the other teachers that don't like it either.  Get them involved with parents that don't like it.
No one VOTED for this bullshit.  Except some politician.  It can be changed.
The really funny thing is that you are going to send YOUR kid to private school.  Ever think of getting a job at one of those private schools?
The tatoo on the forehead comment comes from getting pissed off about bullshit.  I was a student.  I was affected by similar bullshit.  I owned a business and I had to teach basic skills to employees because they didn't learn them in school.
I'm done.  I had some really good teachers and I remember them by name.  I had some lousy one's two.  They didn't listen and they didn't think of better ways to achieve results.  No point in wasting time on them.  That was the best thing about college.  If you figured out the course sucked, you had a chance of transferring to a better course.  I'm transferring out and you can fight people who hate lousy methods and speak up about it instead of fighting those that force the lousy methods on everyone.
You could have given the OP insight on how he might be able to help his son.  Instead, you just whined about not being able to do anything.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

First, of all the teacher in this case went above and beyond doing what they were told and is punishing the student like a party member in good standing.

Read my post earlier about common core's stance on teacher-as-facilitator.  That teacher was abiding by what teachers are instructed to do under common core.

Second of all, your being a hopeless victim.  You not even defending common core and it took several posts before it to become apparent that it sounds like you don't much care for it either.

I personally dislike common core.  I've posted for months my opinion of it.  And yes... teachers just like students are subjected to it with no real recourse.  School boards have made it clear that they do not like it, but will follow the law.  My school board recently sued our state to be exempted from it.  It has not been decided. Until it is decided, however, they have made it clear that we will follow it.

14 teachers quit over it and you are asking what a SINGLE teacher can do?  This isn't about you.

Oh really?  So losing my income and ability to provide for my family isn't about me?  Bullshit.  When you ask a specific teacher to do something about common core, it very much is about that specific teacher.  You are a moron if you think otherwise.

If you want to improve your lot, find the other teachers that don't like it either.  Get them involved with parents that don't like it.

You mean like a union?  Our union (which I am not a member) fought like hell against common core.... and lost.  In fact, it was a darling golden-boy of the GOP (who wanted to be GOP VP candidate as an educational reformer) who is hiring additional attorneys just to fight the teachers union over implementation of common core in the state that I work in.    I say that as a 24 year GOP voter.  But I call a spade a spade.

It will be changed by voters who voted for those politicians... not by asking holding teachers responsible for not holding a revolt.

The really funny thing is that you are going to send YOUR kid to private school.  Ever think of getting a job at one of those private schools?

Nothing really funny about that at all.  Practically every teacher that I know sends their kids to private school.  As I think about it-- and read into this what you will-- not a single non-coaching or minority teacher at my school has their kid in public school.

As for teaching at a private school.  Why?  You can't afford to.  Around here, private schools are taught by retired public school teachers who can work for less, or the spouses of people who make enough for one to take the pay cut.  Private school tends to pay less than a living wage and has no retirement here.  No one I know with a college degree will work for the $21,000 that is starting salary at any of the private schools here.

The tatoo on the forehead comes from getting pissed off about bullshit.  I was a student.  I was affected by similar bullshit.  I owned a business and I had to teach basic skills to employees because they didn't learn them in school.

We all get pissed over bullshit.  And I get pissed over people thinking that the lowest rung on the totem pole with absolutely NO say in policy decisions should be the one blamed.  We see that shit here daily.

I'll spell it out for your... these are the people who have less say at a school than I do:

Para-educators.

The end.  The janitors and kitchen workers have more influence than I do.

I'm done. I had some really good teachers and I remember them by name. I had some lousy one's two. They didn't listen and they didn't think of better ways to achieve results. No point in wasting time on them. That was the best thing about college. If you figured out the course sucked, you had a chance of transferring to a better course. I'm transferring out and you can fight people who hate lousy methods and speak up about it instead of fighting those that force the lousy methods on everyone.

You could have given the OP insight on how he might be able to help his son. Instead, you just whined about not being able to do anything.

I wasn't addressing the OP. I was addressing the person that wants to blame those that have no control over it, and who seems to think that they should sabotage their future fighting a fight they THEY should be fighting themselves.

You say I whine.  I say you are a hypocrite.  I am still waiting to hear how you demanded your clients to break the law at the risk of your own financial ruin-- since we should be comparing apples to apples.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The iron curtain came crashing down when critical mass happened and people just left.  Armed border guards left too.

Teacher's do have a say.  If they don't, then why are they in unions?  Contrary to popular belief, non union employees have a say.  I knew damn well that if you want to run a business, you have to have the support of your employees.  That doesn't mean they were always happy, or that I didn't make mistakes, but it does mean, they had a say and they knew it.  Even people in the military have a say.  That doesn't mean they can get away with mutiny, but it does mean that we have had threads where ship commander's were relieved of command based on episodes of bad leadership as described by the crew.  The crew used their brains and bided their time.  In the end, they prevailed.

I did it many times with that business.  I didn't burn it to the ground.  That would have been stupid.  But I often had to force my biggest customer to do things the right way instead of what they wanted.  If I lost that customer, I would be out of business.  Even so, there were an occasions when the customer was totally wrong and screaming at me.  I gave back what they dished out and did what had to be done and proved myself right which got the problem fixed.  Sometimes, I finessed the situation later.  Othertimes, I confronted it like a brick wall.

There is more than one way for the teachers to be fired.  

You tell me right now what a single teacher should do about this that doesn't involve financial ruination for HIS family and children.   Until then, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Read my post earlier about common core's stance on teacher-as-facilitator.  That teacher was abiding by what teachers are instructed to do under common core.

I personally dislike common core.  I've posted for months my opinion of it.  And yes... teachers just like students are subjected to it with no real recourse.  School boards have made it clear that they do not like it, but will follow the law.  My school board recently sued our state to be exempted from it.  It has not been decided. Until it is decided, however, they have made it clear that we will follow it.

Oh really?  So losing my income and ability to provide for my family isn't about me?  Bullshit.  When you ask a specific teacher to do something about common core, it very much is about that specific teacher.  You are a moron if you think otherwise.

You mean like a union?  Our union (which I am not a member) fought like hell against common core.... and lost.  In fact, it was a darling golden-boy of the GOP (who wanted to be GOP VP candidate as an educational reformer) who is hiring additional attorneys just to fight the teachers union over implementation of common core in the state that I work in.    I say that as a 24 year GOP voter.  But I call a spade a spade.

It will be changed by voters who voted for those politicians... not by asking holding teachers responsible for not holding a revolt.

Nothing really funny about that at all.  Practically every teacher that I know sends their kids to private school.  As I think about it-- and read into this what you will-- not a single non-coaching or minority teacher at my school has their kid in public school.

As for teaching at a private school.  Why?  You can't afford to.  Around here, private schools are taught by retired public school teachers who can work for less, or the spouses of people who make enough for one to take the pay cut.  Private school tends to pay less than a living wage and has no retirement here.  No one I know with a college degree will work for the $21,000 that is starting salary at any of the private schools here.

The tatoo on the forehead comes from getting pissed off about bullshit.  I was a student.  I was affected by similar bullshit.  I owned a business and I had to teach basic skills to employees because they didn't learn them in school.

We all get pissed over bullshit.  And I get pissed over people thinking that the lowest rung on the totem pole with absolutely NO say in policy decisions should be the one blamed.  We see that shit here daily.

I'll spell it out for your... these are the people who have less say at a school than I do:

Para-educators.

The end.  The janitors and kitchen workers have more influence than I do.

I'm done. I had some really good teachers and I remember them by name. I had some lousy one's two. They didn't listen and they didn't think of better ways to achieve results. No point in wasting time on them. That was the best thing about college. If you figured out the course sucked, you had a chance of transferring to a better course. I'm transferring out and you can fight people who hate lousy methods and speak up about it instead of fighting those that force the lousy methods on everyone.

You could have given the OP insight on how he might be able to help his son. Instead, you just whined about not being able to do anything.

I wasn't addressing the OP. I was addressing the person that wants to blame those that have no control over it, and who seems to think that they should sabotage their future fighting a fight they THEY should be fighting themselves.

You say I whine.  I say you are a hypocrite.  I am still waiting to hear how you demanded your clients to break the law at the risk of your own financial ruin-- since we should be comparing apples to apples.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He creates work and won't get in line.

Don't ever think that most teachers are there for the kids. It is, at it's core, a job. They need to pass certain gates to get their ratings and your kid upsets that by not doing what he's told. She's got a box to check and your kid will check it even if she must break him.

Let me give you an example from the flip side. I went to a specialized state Math and Science school that anybody at any school could apply to go. Upon graduation (if you made it) you basically walked into a sea of scholarship money. We had kids who's original schools had attempted to sabotage their applications because if their smart kids left it was a negative impact to their overall scores.

It's not about the kids. It's about checking boxes so they get funded.

The easiest class for a teacher to teach is one where everybody is on the exact same level. And it's easier to push kids down to the LCD than it is to raise them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He creates work and won't get in line.

Don't ever think that most teachers are there for the kids. It is, at it's core, a job. They need to pass certain gates to get their ratings and your kid upsets that by not doing what he's told. She's got a box to check and your kid will check it even if she must break him.

Let me give you an example from the flip side. I went to a specialized state Math and Science school that anybody at any school could apply to go. Upon graduation (if you made it) you basically walked into a sea of scholarship money. We had kids who's original schools had attempted to sabotage their applications because if their smart kids left it was a negative impact to their overall scores.

It's not about the kids. It's about checking boxes so they get funded.

The easiest class for a teacher to teach is one where everybody is on the exact same level. And it's easier to push kids down to the LCD than it is to raise them up.

As a former inner city high school English teacher who tried to raise everyone UP...THIS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.
View Quote

Right now, the U.S. society is having a problem with the opposite end of that sociology.  We have the glib, slick, narcissists acting out roles that consist of little to no substance.  Obamanation is made up of that kind of sociopath from top to bottom.   When it comes to solving the tough problems, I will take the smart but socially lacking geniuses every time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

School is about many things, some of which is math, some of which is social interaction.  I know the OP's child is a snowflake and will undoubtedly lead the world to great things, but asking him to communicate with his classmates isn't the end of the world.

And I'm not defending every facet of common core education here, but getting riled up over asking a kid to speak a little in class?  Give me a fucking break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.

Yeah, 'cause everyone knows that's what math class is about:  socializing.

School is about many things, some of which is math, some of which is social interaction.  I know the OP's child is a snowflake and will undoubtedly lead the world to great things, but asking him to communicate with his classmates isn't the end of the world.

And I'm not defending every facet of common core education here, but getting riled up over asking a kid to speak a little in class?  Give me a fucking break.

When the OP is being told his child is having trouble socializing, and then in the same sentence being told his child is being withheld from arguably the most social activity in school (recess) as punishment, it does make one wonder.   So how about you give ME a fucking break.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When the OP is being told his child is having trouble socializing, and then in the same sentence being told his child is being withheld from arguably the most social activity in school (recess) as punishment, it does make one wonder.   So how about you give ME a fucking break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.

Kids like the OP's don't socialize at recess, they walk around like loners by themselves.  He didn't follow the rules, so he was punished.  Do what you're told and you get a recess.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Right now, the U.S. society is having a problem with the opposite end of that sociology.  We have the glib, slick, narcissists acting out roles that consist of little to no substance.  Obamanation is made up of that kind of sociopath from top to bottom.   When it comes to solving the tough problems, I will take the smart but socially lacking geniuses every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.

This reminds me of a discussion that I had with my dad this week.  Dad is going in for a triple by-pass on Tuesday.  We met with the surgeon yesterday.
My dad commented to me afterwards that the surgeon "didn't have much of a personality."

I commented that this was good-- I don't want someone who gets by on his personality doing his surgery.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Common core is trash.

My wife went to visit her little brothers (who are in Jr high) and they don't learn crap in school.

The "workbooks" she thumbed through take information and dumb it down to the point it's just useful for cramming for tests, but not making you a smarter/more useful human being.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kids like the OP's don't socialize at recess, they walk around like loners by themselves.
View Quote

Come again? Last I checked even the weirdest kids got together to play pokemon or something.When I was a kid, a kid that threw tantrums and attempted to bite the teacher that dragged his ass out of class had several friends to hang out with. Even the kid that literally smelled like shit had friends.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

not trying to bait you here, but what would you think if the situation was reversed?  take a kid who is really gifted at communication, and can easily accomplish any kind of group work, but who can't solve a simple math problem on his own.

if that were the case, most of arfcom would be ranting about relaxed education standards, and shrieking that the kid should be publicly flogged until he could follow directions.  i've spent the last 2 years teaching college kids--mostly freshmen and sophomores--and i can tell you without reservation that most of them are functionally incapable of articulating simple ideas in clear, declarative sentences.  it's not that they're dumb--it's that they've never been taught how to do it.  and that's a fucking tragedy, because these kids have reached college without the single most important and transferrable career skill.

i'm not saying that the teacher is handling the situation properly.  no kid should ever be made to feel stupid.  but getting an education often means doing things that you don't like to do.  some people don't like math, but they have to suffer through it anyway.  your child might not like articulating ideas, but he needs to suffer through it.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
If your son is as gifted as you say...I'd seriously think about private school.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most public schools suck for smart people. You constantly feel held back by the lowest common denominator. The teacher handled this in absolutely the wrong way - making someone a social outcast and limiting social interactions won't fix shyness or social withdrawal - it'll make it worse.

If your kid isn't being challenged intellectually, you either need to home school him or get him into some sort of science and math program where he can stretch his wings and fly.
View Quote

The elimination of this will be an eventual goal of common core. It will be seen as an unfair advantage and touted only by disgruntled fringe elements of society i.e. anti-government types, patriot groups etc....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
wut.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

wut.  

Think of it this way, how easy is it to learn something new on the job when your constantly having to teach others how to do the things you already know how to do?

All the kids in his math group are moving ahead only as fast as the slowest kid in their group. If the kid already understands the math he is doing, making him explain what he has already mastered to the kids who don't understand deprives him of the learning time to further improve his own math skills. Furthermore, the kids who don't understand the math are now being taught not by a supposed teacher, but rather by  a kid their own age who may or may not have any skill at teaching them anything.  

If you put your kids under this common core curriculum you are deriving them of a chance to excel, and condemning them to lowest common denominator mediocrity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kid isn't participating in his math class.  Participation isn't something new, the OP's kid isn't the first awkward child to pass through the school's halls, and being held out of recess didn't start with the advent of common core.

None of this is new, it's not the beginning of the end, the kid will survive a day or two away from kickball to figure out how to interact with his classmates.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#24]
So, first of all, I already have my kid seeing a counselor to get him to be more verbal and learn how to express himself and stand up for himself.  I'm well aware of his social needs.

I talked to the teacher.  All of this has to do with common core, according to her.  However, at this time they are not actually required, she is just "making sure they are ready for next year" when the requirements will actually be in place.  There are some new standard tests as well.

We agreed on a different way to handle the situation that should help to get him to where he needs to be socially over time, aside from punishment which only discourages him more.  If you can't put your thoughts into words in front of other people in certain situations it's going to take some time to learn, you can't give them the choice of being able to do it acceptably immediately or take a punishment.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So, first of all, I already have my kid seeing a counselor to get him to be more verbal and learn how to express himself and stand up for himself.  I'm well aware of his social needs.

View Quote

calling the issue 'social needs' trivializes it, as though you're talking about how he'll behave at parties.  that's a separate issue (although an important one).  

if he can't articulate reasoning, then he's going to be in a world of hurt later in life.  it's like not being able to solve math problems on an exam, because taking tests make a person nervous.  all of professional life is a test, and kids need to be prepared for that.

again, i'm not slamming your kid or saying that the teacher is handling the issue properly.  but if you think of his communication skills as something aside from his vocational toolbox, you're allowing a bad situation to become worse.  people who are good at computation and memory but bad at articulation usually work in lower level jobs, answering to people who aren't as good in the pure academics, but better at communication.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My sister is an 8th grade teacher and she HATES common core probably as much as your son.

Homeschool or private school, maybe definitely?
View Quote

Repaired.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

calling the issue 'social needs' trivializes it, as though you're talking about how he'll behave at parties.  that's a separate issue (although an important one).  

if he can't articulate reasoning, then he's going to be in a world of hurt later in life.  it's like not being able to solve math problems on an exam, because taking tests make a person nervous.  all of professional life is a test, and kids need to be prepared for that.

again, i'm not slamming your kid or saying that the teacher is handling the issue properly.  but if you think of his communication skills as something aside from his vocational toolbox, you're allowing a bad situation to become worse.  people who are good at computation and memory but bad at articulation usually work in lower level jobs, answering to people who aren't as good in the pure academics, but better at communication.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beautiful post.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top