Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
geesh, he must have been a cop too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly he was drunk and on the phone.
geesh, he must have been a cop too.

Would have been a 20 pg thread here with 3 locks and 8 warnings.
I think he was a coach.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems about right for small town.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why would you apologize for something that is not your fault?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

However the chances of your kid being struck by a vehicle in someone elses driveway goes down a lot if you keep your kids off of other peoples property.

That's pretty reaching. And really, so what?  What kid rides their bike only in their driveway?  And the guy couldn't apologize?  And the sheriff couldn't find another damn unclaimed bike?  Every dept has 50 of them laying around collecting rust.

Hitting a child on a bicycle while your driving a vehicle isn't your fault? Really, seems I've settled a few of those cases very easily.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hitting a child on a bicycle while your driving a vehicle isn't your fault? Really, seems I've settled a few of those cases very easily.
View Quote

As i posted earlier. A guy who was drinking and on his cell phone killed a kid pulling into his driveway, not guilty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It is good the sheriff is up for re election.  The people can show him exactly what they think of the thin blue line.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It should be a requirement that every person posting a negative article about law enforcement should post 2 positive ones as well.
View Quote

De facto ban.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not every instance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not every instance.

Really it depends on the mental state of a child. A child cannot be guilty of contributory negligence in Alabama until a certain age. In this case if we assume the girl was somehow partially negligent and the drive was negligent (failure to keep a proper lookout, which is in the Code, etc.) then the fault is all his. Being a 5 year old means she is, in the eyes of the law, incapable of contributory negligence. Thus, his fault and an apology would have solved the problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had the exact same scenario played out with a police officers kid you bet your ass someone is getting cited, if not worse.
View Quote

And that's the answer to the question, "Why does it matter that he's a cop"?  Because reverse the situation and this damn sure doesn't play out the same way, and everybody knows it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As i posted earlier. A guy who was drinking and on his cell phone killed a kid pulling into his driveway, not guilty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know if he was civilly liable?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It should be a requirement that every person posting a negative article about law enforcement should post 2 positive ones as well.
View Quote

There should be a Federal JBT Self-esteem Protection Act.

Maybe even a Constitutional Amendment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If the person driving was not a cop it never would have made the news.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had the exact same scenario played out with a police officers kid you bet your ass someone is getting cited, if not worse.

And that's the answer to the question, "Why does it matter that he's a cop"?  Because reverse the situation and this damn sure doesn't play out the same way, and everybody knows it.

If the person driving was not a cop it never would have made the news.

I don't think that whether it made the news is the issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

a.pol·o·gize/?'p?l??d?a?z/ Show Spelled [uh-pol-uh-jahyz] Show IPA
verb (used without object), a·pol·o·gized, a·pol·o·giz·ing.  
1. to offer an apology or excuse for some fault, insult, failure, or injury: He apologized for accusing her falsely.  
2. to make a formal defense in speech or writing.
Also, especially British,  a·pol·o·gise.

Why would a person apologize for something that is not their fault?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, serious. None, nada.

Whether he's trollin' or not, that's the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen Bama post.

1. to offer an apology or excuse for some fault, insult, failure, or injury: He apologized for accusing her falsely.  

I think you need to work on mastering the English language.  Notice it says OR injury.  Also notice those little things called "commas".  That's called a list.  Apologies can be and are often offered for any of those things by people with consciences.  Does not always have to be something you're at fault for.

Example..."I'm really sorry your mother died."

Does that imply fault.  Nope.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In before the usual apologists?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's insane the level of power some of you project on to cops.  I hate to break it to you but we don't have special powers and all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was thinking this too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Many cops are assholes, I'm starting to think it's a requirement of the job, wouldn't surprise me if the cop hit the kid on the bike on purpose.

I was thinking this too.
Either that, or after a few years of dealing largely with the scum of the earth, you get a little jaded.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's insane the level of power some of you project on to cops.  I hate to break it to you but we don't have special powers and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speak for yourself.
I can assassinate a fucking box of doughnuts like a superhero.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Where are the angry cyclists? Didn't one of your own just get taken out?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you want to claim that if the situation were reversed, and I knocked a cop's 5 year old off their bike turning into my driveway, and when he protested I told him to "put a fucking bandaid on it", that I would not have received any sort of citation at all?  It would have gone down exactly like this episode.  Is that what you're claiming?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can assassinate a fucking box of doughnuts like a superhero.

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So you want to claim that if the situation were reversed, and I knocked a cop's 5 year old off their bike turning into my driveway, and when he protested I told him to "put a fucking bandaid on it", that I would not have received any sort of citation at all?  It would have gone down exactly like this episode.  Is that what you're claiming?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, that is what I am claiming.  What would the ticket be for? Hell, I don't even carry a ticket book.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're scared.  We've been told if you hit someone on a bike it's not your fault.  Guess I won't need to bother to wait for an opening to pass anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He was cleard by the state police, the DA and apparently SO.

If he was acting in an unsafe manner I would say charge him but that does not appear to case.
View Quote

I don't think anyone want's him charged with anything. We just want to be treated like equal human beings.

Example:  When I was in college I drove for UPS. One day I was in an unfamiliar area. I saw a patrol car on the side of a road in a wide open area with no buildings or anything else in either direction for 1/2 mile. I pulled off the road probably 100ft past him and walked back to him so he would see me coming. I made sure he saw me from a distance because I didn't want to startle him. As I approached he rolled down his window and I greeted him and asked if he knew which direction to the road I was looking for. I had recently moved from a rural agg community in Idaho where people are pretty neighborly and I was not prepared for the treatment I was about to receive. The response to my simple question was to be treated like scum. No man has ever talked to me with such snide disdain and lack of respect.  I walked away in shock.  It's experiences like this that leave us feeling like "Peace Officers" have been replaced with prison guards.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

However the chances of your kid being struck by a vehicle in someone elses driveway goes down a lot if you keep your kids off of other peoples property.

That's pretty reaching. And really, so what?  What kid rides their bike only in their driveway?  And the guy couldn't apologize?  And the sheriff couldn't find another damn unclaimed bike?  Every dept has 50 of them laying around collecting rust.

Sorry, Bama, but you're flat out wrong on this one.  A driver is in control of his vehicle and you can't hit someone even if they happen to be in your driveway.  That's simply ridiculous.  

I stop for pedestrians even if they are crossing where I have the right of way.  I'm going to look foolish in front of a judge if I try to explain that I had the right to drive into/over a pedestrian or cyclist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, serious. None, nada.

Whether he's trollin' or not, that's the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen Bama post.

Fault? Sounds like he had a failure; as in "failure to maintain reasonable vigilance".

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You guess, so you don't know. Attached article says she was in his driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your kids off of other peoples property for a start.

Look at the neighborhood.  My guess is she was at the foot of his driveway.  Get real man.

SO that excuses his behavior? and not apologizing? according to reports he was driving fast for a residential street, and an SUV no less. Even if she was on his "property" the son of a bitch should have acted like a man instead of some asshole who thinks he's above the law simply because he wears a badge and carries a gun. NO EXCUSE for acting like an asshole he should have manned up but he didn't and I do hope he loses his badge, although not likely as the "good ole boy" network is hard at work to protect him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yea, that is what I am claiming.  What would the ticket be for? Hell, I don't even carry a ticket book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually believe that suffice it to say I think you're in a small, small minority.  We've all seen contempt of cop for a lot less than that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you actually believe that suffice it to say I think you're in a small, small minority.  We've all seen contempt of cop for a lot less than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's one of the 8%, to be precise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would feel for them that their kid got crunched but I'm not apologizing for it. Keep your kids off other peoples property.

It's amazing when folks around here talk about property rights until something like this comes along now it's ok to trespass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I in no way shape, form or fashion think it is "just fine". Accidents happen. Your child being stuck by someone elses vehicle, on someone elses property is not likely to happen if you don't allow your child to be on someone elses property.

A report was taken. What else do think is going to happen? It's not his fault their kid was in his driveway when he entered his property.

<---IRL, I personally deal with this all the time, Neighbors kids like to ride their bikes down my driveway because it is a steep. Not my fault one day if I crunch one, and if it happens I will not apologize for it. I have also worked one where a neighbor ran over the next door neighbor kid in guess where, the other neighbors driveway.

Empathy is what makes us human. If you don't have it, you need help.

What kind of person would "crunch" a child and not say they were sorry?

Take a look at yourself and think about that.

I would feel for them that their kid got crunched but I'm not apologizing for it. Keep your kids off other peoples property.

It's amazing when folks around here talk about property rights until something like this comes along now it's ok to trespass.

Which side did you fall on in Texas case where the man was in his garage?  Oh yeah, that's different.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

SO that excuses his behavior? and not apologizing? according to reports he was driving fast for a residential street, and an SUV no less. Even if she was on his "property" the son of a bitch should have acted like a man instead of some asshole who thinks he's above the law simply because he wears a badge and carries a gun. NO EXCUSE for acting like an asshole he should have manned up but he didn't and I do hope he loses his badge, although not likely as the "good ole boy" network is hard at work to protect him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your kids off of other peoples property for a start.

Look at the neighborhood.  My guess is she was at the foot of his driveway.  Get real man.

?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't make up a charge because I am pissed off, nor would I ever dream of doing such.  I take the responsibility that comes with authority very seriously. One's pride will sometimes take a beating....trust me. But that is part of the job.  

Contempt of cop usually involves cops arresting someone because, yes they are pissed, but elements of a crime still exist.  A matter of discretion not going the perpetrator's way.  If they are making up a charge they belong in prison...under the prison.  Either way, I think it is never good to let your emotions rule you when doing this job, or any job for that matter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They're scared.  We've been told if you hit someone on a bike it's not your fault.  Guess I won't need to bother to wait for an opening to pass anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Sherriff looks like a dipshit. Primary is in 2 weeks.

Quoted:
how is this on the news? This is neighborhood Bullsh*t plain and simple.

The next time I drop a huge log I want a news crew to come in and cover it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can't make up a charge because I am pissed off, nor would I ever dream of doing such.  I take the responsibility that comes with authority very seriously. One's pride will sometimes take a beating....trust me. But that is part of the job.  

Contempt of cop usually involves cops arresting someone because, yes they are pissed, but elements of a crime still exist.  A matter of discretion not going the perpetrator's way.  If they are making up a charge they belong in prison...under the prison.  Either way, I think it is never good to let your emotions rule you when doing this job, or any job for that matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  We just had a thread about two, not one, but two cops lying about hitting a guy's car, and the only thing that saved the guy was a video camera.  You're telling me people who'll lie about that wouldn't claim you were driving wrecklessly when you hit their little girl then told them to put a fucking bandaid on it?  You cannot believe that.  There's another thread right now about traffic violations, and if the cop says it, it happened.  Maybe you're a good guy and would never do that, but you cannot be naive enough to believe that nobody else would.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

<a href="http://imgur.com/rCe5Pc9" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/rCe5Pc9.png</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://imgur.com/rCe5Pc9" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/rCe5Pc9.png</a>

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If the five year old kid rides his bike into the travel lane and gets crushed it's the kids fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not every instance.

Really it depends on the mental state of a child. A child cannot be guilty of contributory negligence in Alabama until a certain age. In this case if we assume the girl was somehow partially negligent and the drive was negligent (failure to keep a proper lookout, which is in the Code, etc.) then the fault is all his. Being a 5 year old means she is, in the eyes of the law, incapable of contributory negligence. Thus, his fault and an apology would have solved the problem.

If the five year old kid rides his bike into the travel lane and gets crushed it's the kids fault.

Not in Civil Court.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Bullshit.  We just had a thread about two, not one, but two cops lying about hitting a guy's car, and the only thing that saved the guy was a video camera.  You're telling me people who'll lie about that wouldn't claim you were driving wrecklessly when you hit their little girl then told them to put a fucking bandaid on it?  You cannot believe that.  There's another thread right now about traffic violations, and if the cop says it, it happened.  Maybe you're a good guy and would never do that, but you cannot be naive enough to believe that nobody else would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did say "I".

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, I can not legally make up a charge.

I already addressed criminals and said what should be done to them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He did say "I".

View Quote

Yes, but he said that he "can't", not just that he wouldn't.  He can; any cop can.  Some do.  If there's no video..........
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yes, but he said that he "can't", not just that he wouldn't.  He can; any cop can.  Some do.  If there's no video..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He did say "I".

I know you can interpret what he is saying.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top