Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:28:10 AM EDT
http://www.wilsontimes.com/News/Feature/Story/31455336---DA-dismisses-case-against-deputy

The story is long and winding - there is a video of the parents in their front yard describing, but it's way too long.

I'll give you the TL;DR version here.

DETECTIVE driving county-issued black SUV clips back tire of little girl's bike while pulling into his driveway.

Does nothing, tells mother to "put a fucking band-aid on it' - basically fuck you and respect my authoriti.

Parents complain, Sheriff basically does nothing.  Deputy Douchebag won't even apologize.

Dad wanted to handle it cool, but got pissed off at douchebag's attitude.

First term sheriff up for re-election, has primary and election opponents - the stupid is strong with him.

ETA - UPDATE

Video has been pulled.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/News/Feature/Story/31497795---Sheriff-weighs-in-on-bike-incident

Woodard said in a written statement released to The Times that as a head law enforcement officer he didn’t want to impede the investigation by talking before a thorough examination of what happened on April 1 was concluded by the Wilson County district attorney.

Woodard said his deputies went to the scene and talked to Stephanie Pridgen, mother of the child, and the neighbor who told deputies what happened and even talked to the child who was injured.

Woodard said it is sad the little girl hurt her knee, but his detective, Stephen Smith, did not hit the girl’s bike.

"Is it heartbreaking that little Miss Makayla fell and fell and hurt her knee — yes,” Woodard said. "But was it the result of Detective Smith — no.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Cop make it home safely????
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
needs more drug test
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
How many dogs were shot
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
In before the usual apologists?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that guy
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
They hindered LE operations by leaving their daughter's bicycle unsecured on their driveway. Screw them!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Hope that family likes traffic tickets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Xboxes save lives .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]
it's for the children
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
It should be a requirement that every person posting a negative article about law enforcement should post 2 positive ones as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should be a requirement that every person posting a negative article about law enforcement should post 2 positive ones as well.
View Quote

which are more common?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

which are more common?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which are more common?

Ever see a website made to look for good cop stories?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Parents are morons.
View Quote

How would you suggest they should have handled the situation?  Do nothing because some asshole hit their little girl while she was riding her bike?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How would you suggest they should have handled the situation?  Do nothing because some asshole hit their little girl while she was riding her bike?

Serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parents are morons.

Serious question.

Was she in his driveway?
Didn't watch video
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shit, bro, there's only 24 hours in a day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Isolated incident, needed more training.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Keep your kids off of other peoples property for a start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parents are morons.

Serious question.

Look at the neighborhood.  My guess is she was at the foot of his driveway.  Get real man.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmm, my town.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parents are morons.

Serious question.

I bet you'd say differently if it weren't a cop as the aggressor.  

Why didn't he just shoot the kid and keep her off his property for good, right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You guess, so you don't know. Attached article says she was in his driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the neighborhood.  My guess is she was at the foot of his driveway.  Get real man.

So, it was okay for him to run into a 5 year old with his SUV then.  Ok, gotcha.

You're a cop, right?  Guess you guys are all alike.

ETA: fixed an incorrect pronoun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#28]
good fences make good neighbors
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I did not say that.

However the chances of your kid being struck by a vehicle in someone elses driveway goes down a lot if you keep your kids off of other peoples property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, it was okay for her to run into a 5 year old with his SUV then.  Ok, gotcha.

I did not say that.

However the chances of your kid being struck by a vehicle in someone elses driveway goes down a lot if you keep your kids off of other peoples property.

That's pretty reaching. And really, so what?  What kid rides their bike only in their driveway?  And the guy couldn't apologize?  And the sheriff couldn't find another damn unclaimed bike?  Every dept has 50 of them laying around collecting rust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I did not say that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, it was okay for her to run into a 5 year old with his SUV then.  Ok, gotcha.

I did not say that.

LoL BS.  Your implication was it was just fine to hit a 5yo because she was in his driveway.  You call the parents morons, but the cop who hit the girl, the one who got out of his car and acted like the worst of assholes, is A-OK in your book?  Not to mention the sheriff taking up for his homie and not even investigating the matter.  

As the parents said, all the cop had to do was get out and at least act like he was sorry for hitting the 5yo, and it wouldn't have gone beyond the neighborhood.  

Integrity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did not say that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

I don't disagree, but the fact of the matter is that whether or not she was at the foot of his driveway, or clear up by his fucking garage door, he hit a little kid on her bike.  Any decent human being would have handled the situation differently.  How about apologizing, and asking the parent to try and keep her kid out of his driveway in the future so an accident like that doesn't happen?  Seems pretty simple to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why would you apologize for something that is not your fault?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

That's pretty reaching. And really, so what?  What kid rides their bike only in their driveway?  And the guy couldn't apologize?  And the sheriff couldn't find another damn unclaimed bike?  Every dept has 50 of them laying around collecting rust.

Staff trollin hard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Many cops are assholes, I'm starting to think it's a requirement of the job, wouldn't surprise me if the cop hit the kid on the bike on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

Holy shit man, are you fucking serious?  What if he'd accidentally run her over and killed her?  No apology necessary then either?  She shouldn't have been in his driveway.

You must not have kids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

My driveway is 30 feet from my property line to the house. It also crosses the sidewalk and the tree yard between the street and the side walk.

Kid may have been in his driveway but on public property like my driveway is.

Deputy needs a day off for an accident. Sheriff needs a good old fashioned loss at the polls and a new job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Many cops are assholes, I'm starting to think it's a requirement of the job, wouldn't surprise me if the cop hit the kid on the bike on purpose.
View Quote

I was thinking this too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why are you going to apologize for? Sorry you should keep your kid off other peoples property and shit like this won't happen.

Kind of like Zimmerman apologzing for shooting Tray-tray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

I don't disagree, but the fact of the matter is that whether or not she was at the foot of his driveway, or clear up by his fucking garage door, he hit a little kid on her bike.  Any decent human being would have handled the situation differently.  How about apologizing, and asking the parent to try and keep her kid out of his driveway in the future so an accident like that doesn't happen?  Seems pretty simple to me.

Why are you going to apologize for? Sorry you should keep your kid off other peoples property and shit like this won't happen.

Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.  Hope our paths never cross.  You're obviously in the correct profession.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I in no way shape, form or fashion think it is "just fine". Accidents happen. Your child being stuck by someone elses vehicle, on someone elses property is not likely to happen if you don't allow your child to be on someone elses property.

A report was taken. What else do think is going to happen? It's not his fault their kid was in his driveway when he entered his property.

<---IRL, I personally deal with this all the time, Neighbors kids like to ride their bikes down my driveway because it is a steep. Not my fault one day if I crunch one, and if it happens I will not apologize for it. I have also worked one where a neighbor ran over the next door neighbor kid in guess where, the other neighbors driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not say that.

LoL BS.  Your implication was it was just fine to hit a 5yo because she was in his driveway.  You call the parents morons, but the cop who hit the girl, the one who got out of his car and acted like the worst of assholes, is A-OK in your book?  Not to mention the sheriff taking up for his homie and not even investigating the matter.  

As the parents said, all the cop had to do was get out and at least act like he was sorry for hitting the 5yo, and it wouldn't have gone beyond the neighborhood.  

Integrity.

I in no way shape, form or fashion think it is "just fine". Accidents happen. Your child being stuck by someone elses vehicle, on someone elses property is not likely to happen if you don't allow your child to be on someone elses property.

A report was taken. What else do think is going to happen? It's not his fault their kid was in his driveway when he entered his property.

<---IRL, I personally deal with this all the time, Neighbors kids like to ride their bikes down my driveway because it is a steep. Not my fault one day if I crunch one, and if it happens I will not apologize for it. I have also worked one where a neighbor ran over the next door neighbor kid in guess where, the other neighbors driveway.

Empathy is what makes us human. If you don't have it, you need help.

What kind of person would "crunch" a child and not say they were sorry?

Take a look at yourself and think about that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except after the first two are posted, the subsequent posts would be dupes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

Might as well threaten to put the kids parents in a world of shit while you're at it.

If only everyone were unapologetic assholes as cops, we'd be.....extinct by now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Parents are morons.
View Quote

This.

Wtf, the bike NOT the little girl?

I wonder what will happen when they find out they don't get a new car after someone dings their door?

Good lord. I'm willing to bet even if he had apologized they would have still gone to the media.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Somehow, anyhow, the cop was right......
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sidewalks cross driveways.

If your followup is "kids shouldn't ride bikes on sidewalks" you can just go right ahead and not bother.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I did not say that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say that.

If there was a kid, even if I HATED that kid for whatever reason, in my driveway, there's no way that I'm going to risk hitting said child with my truck.  I'm no cop, but I know that hitting things with vehicles is bad.

I'd likely get out, instruct child to move and go from there.  But...I'm not bumping a kid with a car, no matter what.  Being on my drive is very minor in comparison.  

Is the kid right?  No, but the cop is MORE WRONG.  Being on someone's front yard =/= hitting them with cars.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess I don't understand. This guy was "barreling down the road" so the mom told the child to move to the side of the road. But the child was on the Deputy's property when she was hit? How would the truck hit the bicycle's front tire?

I would LOVE to see a video of this incident.

The dad said that anyone else would be locked up immediately? For accidentally hitting someone on their bike? Ah no.

Everyone involved in this story is stupid. All this could have be prevented by the Deputy saying, "sorry about that, is she ok?"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top