User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No Note 3? I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Nexus 5. It's 400 bucks for the 32GB, much cheaper than any competing smart phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an HTC Rezound (before that I had an HTC Incredible).

I'm looking at:

HTC One M8 (I have had great luck with my HTC phones. They get dropped and beat up, but work great. No problems)

Samsung Galaxy S5 (My wife and my son have S4s, my daughter has an S3. No problems)

iPhone 5S (no experience with iPhones, but everyone that I know that has one, loves them)

I don't customize my Android phones. I use apps, but I'm not unlocking anything or uploading anything.

I want easy to use, good camera, and a clear, bright screen.

ETA:
If there is a phone that I haven't listed, but should consider, please post.
View Quote

The M8 has a subpar camera...  4 ultrapixels.  It will take nice low-light shots but don't expect to be able to crop/zoom and retain image quality.  If a camera is important then I would pass on the M8.  The nexus 5 also has a weak camera and weak battery life. The Moto X also suffers in the camera quality department but is solid in most every other category.   I'm going with an M8 because I like to listen to talk radio and watch youtube vids and appreciate the boomsound speakers.  The camera is probably what I care about the least.

The S5 is solid all around but imo has a crappy speaker so it isn't for me.   The LG G2 is a solid performer and coming down in price, but the G2 has a few issues when it comes to the back buttons and no sd card memory expansion.  

The S5 is really a good all around phone. I suggest checking out android authority and erica griffin on youtube.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
tough, they are all good phones.

Have you messed with any of them?

In this case, I would weigh a few things.  Memory and battery life.  I also like the ability to use micro SD card as well as change the battery/extended battery.  Kinda leans towards the S5 for my reasons.

I have a Galaxy S4 for work and my personal phone is a Droid MAXX.  There is something to be said for having 78% charge left after 17hrs and 40min of normal use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me add to my brief comment that the camera on the new HTC is a joke compared to the S5.  Add the lack of updates from HTC, and they've already lost me.

Eric  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Very interesting, bias review (typical iphone user).

There is this statement: "By just about every major measure you’ll care about, from speed to design to ease of use to the quality of its apps, Samsung’s phone ranks behind the iPhone, sometimes far behind."

and then 2 paragraphs later:

"The columnist concludes that Samsung’s Galaxy S5 is the best smartphone with a large screen that money can buy right now, and that will continue to be the case for the next few months"

How can anyone suggest an iphone is "faster" when the processor is half the speed. Oh, I know.. It does half of what a samsung does.. I guess it is faster when you only have a screen full of icons versus an android phone that has multiple interactive widgets that display calendars (with events on the home screen), up to date weather, and with some androids you don't even have to hit a button to talk to "Siri" you just simply say "hey google."

So, less features will always speed up one phone versus another. Hell, if I compare my Pentium 4 computer with nothing on it vs. my i7 quad core that's loaded to the max with programs, I guess the Pentium 4 computer is probably twice as fast...

Let's make this simple (Source):

Galaxy S5 vs. Iphone 5s (respectively)
Display: 1080x1920 vs 640x1136
Pixel Density: 432 vs 326ppi
Camera: 16 vs 8mp
Camcorder: 3840x2160 vs 1920x1080
Processor: 2.5GHz quad core vs 1.3GHz dual core
Ram: 2GB vs 1GB
Talk Time: 21 hrs 4G vs 10 hrs 3G
Battery Capacity: 2.8Ah vs 1.6Ah

Seriously.. Where do you see that the iphone wins in any category.. Maybe the fact that you have to use the worst program every developed (itunes) to control your entire device?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nexus 5
View Quote

this is what I got for my first smart phone. Not a bad phone at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
All are great.   iPhones don't have bloat Crap pre-installed.  Androids are going the way of Dell pre installing a bunch of 3rd party shit you don't want and can be hard to remove.   I think iPhone Fits the hand better.  And a more polished interface and product, with frequent updates and more aggressive malware control.  The hardware and OS are tuned for each other so just run smoother.  Price is the same.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No Note 3? I love mine.
View Quote
I love mine as well.

There has been nothing I have disliked so far with this phone.

You might think the size is a negative, but I have found I prefer it.

The only time I have ever wished it were smaller, was trying to text with one hand.

But, there is a one-handed texting keyboard (smaller and offset to left or right).

I tried it, and went back to the larger full width keyboard.

Also, the additional number row at top is fantastic.

Typing on my wife's iPhone makes me sad with it's tiny buttons, no numbers, and no Swype.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Let me add to my brief comment that the camera on the new HTC is a joke compared to the S5.  Add the lack of updates from HTC, and they've already lost me.

Eric  
View Quote
HTC is committed to keeping the HTC One updated for at least two years.

COMMITMENT TO ANDROID UPDATES

keep your HTC One, HTC One mini or HTC One max up to date with the major Android updates for 2 years from the launch date of your HTC device.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Jitterbug
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got the M8. The aluminum unibody makes the Samsung look like cheap shit, and it's FAST. Very nice screen, too.

iPhones are for people who can't deal with setting up 2014-era homescreen widgets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All are great.   iPhones don't have bloat Crap pre-installed.  Androids are going the way of Dell pre installing a bunch of 3rd party shit you don't want and can be hard to remove.   I think iPhone Fits the hand better.  And a more polished interface and product, with frequent updates and more aggressive malware control.  The hardware and OS are tuned for each other so just run smoother.  Price is the same.
View Quote

Not true if you get a Nexus Device. They don't load bloatware and the software is tuned for the device.
If American Cell service ever gets to go to a no subsidy like they want then Apple, HTC and others are going to have to adjust. I don't see many people putting out $650+ every year to upgrade a phone when the previous model still works. It's a lot easier to drop $350 on a Nexus, $299 on a 1+One or $200 on a Moto G and still have a nice headset.

It'll be interesting to see who Apple would respond to that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Carriers are already pushing to significantly reduce or do away with subsidies.

Ultimately, the carriers are moving towards payment plans for handsets. For $20-$30 a month ( assuming no down payment ) you get a new phone. Easy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Long, long overdue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I have nothing but good to say about Samsung. And mine has a busted screen!

ETA:  Actually, the one bad thing I have to say about my Galaxy Nexus is the volume is fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ultimately, the carriers are moving towards payment plans for handsets. For $20-$30 a month ( assuming no down payment ) you get a new phone. Easy.
View Quote

I get a new phone every two years at a significant discount. The M8 was only $149, $100 after I traded in my old phone. If they change to that model, I will be disinclined to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Nokia Lumia icon. Seriously check it out. Sounds like it ticks off all your must haves :). I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I get a new phone every two years at a significant discount. The M8 was only $149, $100 after I traded in my old phone. If they change to that model, I will be disinclined to upgrade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're essentially making payments with the subsidy built into your current  plan. It's just another way to skin the same cat.

I'm with you btw. I'm much more comfortable sticking with my unlimited plan and upgrading every two years or so.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can hold out I'd wait...

But I'm a fanboi..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an iPhone 5C for work. Hate it.

Wait a couple months and get the LG G3 when it comes out. Or just get a G2 now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s141.photobucket.com/user/glockstr22/media/E7105277-B42F-45A2-A190-17663D6B26D1.png.html" target="_blank">http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/glockstr22/E7105277-B42F-45A2-A190-17663D6B26D1.png</a>

But I'm a fanboi..
View Quote

I wonder how many current Apple users are going to complain about the size increase.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I'm running an iPhone 4.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wonder how many current Apple users are going to complain about the size increase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s141.photobucket.com/user/glockstr22/media/E7105277-B42F-45A2-A190-17663D6B26D1.png.html" target="_blank">http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/glockstr22/E7105277-B42F-45A2-A190-17663D6B26D1.png</a>

But I'm a fanboi..

I wouldn't think many would. I like the size of my 5S but if the 6 is going to be anything like the rumors think it will get Apple out of their perceived stagnation and take back some of the market from Samsung.  

Apple stock up $43 today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wouldn't think many would. I like the size of my 5S but if the 6 is going to be anything like the rumors think it will get Apple out of their perceived stagnation and take back some of the market from Samsung.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I'm a fanboi..

Because of their split and share distribution announcements and $43 compared to a $540 stock price isn't that huge of an increase.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Samsung Note 3
I absolutely love it.  
I can't recommend the S5 directly, but I sure love my Note.
View Quote

This...it is basically a tablet I can talk on.

my wife hates it (apple fan) and calls it a Faglet instead of a Phablet
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow!

That seems like a nice phone and a great price. I've never heard of that company, but checking into it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow!

That seems like a nice phone and a great price. I've never heard of that company, but checking into it now.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of removable SD card.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I'm a fanboi..

Not me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I'm a fanboi..

I'm just wondering, because the size of most Android phones seems to be one thing many Apple users don't like.  I've seen "I can't fit an Android phone in my pocket!" (paraphrased) said by people here.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nexus 5
View Quote

This.  Forget that contract bullshittery.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in the same boat but with only Droids

what I want to know is... what model will get support for the longest amount of time. That's the only reason why my Razr HD is shit, bc they have left me out to dry
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what carriers want. They rather sell you services than deal with the hardware. You prove the point I was making. If they get rid of subsidies people won't be too quick to upgrade. Especially at $650+
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No everyone loves iPhone.  I for one really don't like mine.  They are also the preferred vendor for work phones, and the longevity is only a couple months even if you use an otter box or similar.  Cartoony interface and not durable.

Wife has had very good luck with HTC, when my iPhone dies that's what I'll get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
iPhone 5S (no experience with iPhones, but everyone that I know that has one, loves them)

No everyone loves iPhone.  I for one really don't like mine.  They are also the preferred vendor for work phones, and the longevity is only a couple months even if you use an otter box or similar.  Cartoony interface and not durable.

Wife has had very good luck with HTC, when my iPhone dies that's what I'll get.

I have mine in a lifeproof case and it's been through heck. Even the lifeproof case is getting beat up.

Of all the friends and acquaintances I know that have them, nobody has had that bad of luck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm just wondering, because the size of most Android phones seems to be one thing many Apple users don't like.  I've seen "I can't fit an Android phone in my pocket!" (paraphrased) said by people here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I'm a fanboi..

That's only valid until Apple releases a bigger phone and then it's Apple made it perfect
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Samsung S4 imo.

On my third galaxy phone. Two S3's and a S4. (Im destructive)

Cant speak for HTC but fuck apple on principle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's only valid until Apple releases a bigger phone and then it's Apple made it perfect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I'm a fanboi..

I love when they do that.  Android are cheap phones...  then Apple releases a cheap phone.  And all the sudden all you hear are crickets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What sold it for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Went from an S3 to an HTC one m8..not sure ill ever go back to Samsung.

Before I actaually played with an HTC I was contemplating on an iPhone 5 or the s4 or s5...

What sold it for you?

Not 32, but I did the same thing, switched from s3 to m8. The HTC is amazing! Super fast, great screen, great speakers, just an all around fantastic phone. I put a $5 tpu case on it from eBay and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm in the same boat but with only Droids

what I want to know is... what model will get support for the longest amount of time. That's the only reason why my Razr HD is shit, bc they have left me out to dry
View Quote
I don't have one but HTC is pledging two years of updates for their HTC One models plus a free broken screen replacement for the first 6 months.  Sounds like if you want support, HTC is worth looking at (assuming they keep their promise)

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#39]
BlackBerry Z30

Although voted for the Galaxy S5 since if I had to choose one of those 3, the water & dust resistance is a nice feature...particularly because I've been caught in the rain more than a couple of times and it would be nice to not worry about how wet it is getting.  Also, the HTC One's metal back is quite slick and I'd probably drop it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Wait a little bit and get a One+ One.

http://oneplus.net/

I cracked my S4 screen, then attempted to replace just the glass... borked the screen up bad, so I picked up a Moto G (no contract phone). Then I found the One+. It's got great specs, and not a bad price.... and that price is with NO CONTRACT.

I hope to see this model of sales more and more - no contract phones at decent prices with great specs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#41]
HTC M8.  The wife and I just got em and they rock.  We came from an S3 and a Note 2.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I cracked my S4 screen, then attempted to replace just the glass... borked the screen up bad, so I picked up a Moto G (no contract phone). Then I found the One+. It's got great specs, and not a bad price.... and that price is with NO CONTRACT.

I hope to see this model of sales more and more - no contract phones at decent prices with great specs.
View Quote

Don't you have to have an invite to purchase it first then it'll be release for everyone?
I'm tempted by this phone also because it's got awesome specs my only concern is it's not a pure android like the Nexus or Google Play edition phone. You'll have to wait till CM releases updates. Also it's a new company i believe. Not sure I want to be the test subject but at $300 I won't be burnt too bad

My iPhone 4 is starting to show its age.

ETA:I just looked at a video on their website and it showed water on it. Is this thing supposed to be water resistant also?
As long as I don't have to wait till late summer, early fall. I think i'll give it a go
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Don't you have to have an invite to purchase it first then it'll be release for everyone?
I'm tempted by this phone also because it's got awesome specs my only concern is it's not a pure android like the Nexus or Google Play edition phone. You'll have to wait till CM releases updates. Also it's a new company i believe. Not sure I want to be the test subject but at $300 I won't be burnt too bad

ETA:I just looked at a video on their website and it showed water on it. Is this thing supposed to be water resistant also?
As long as I don't have to wait till late summer, early fall. I think i'll give it a go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not too sure on anything about it at this point. I had heard about it a while back, but didn't pay attention.

Now, I've checked up on their site, and apparently they will be doing 'by invite' purchasing, instead of "buy it now, send money, wait for backorder because everyone and their grandmother bought one, bitch about waiting, become dissatisfied... etc, etc,"

I can wait a bit... and I LOVE the idea of not being tied to a contract for a subsidized phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to lean towards this phone also.

The camera on the HTC is the only thing that keeps me from going to that phone right now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not too sure on anything about it at this point. I had heard about it a while back, but didn't pay attention.

Now, I've checked up on their site, and apparently they will be doing 'by invite' purchasing, instead of "buy it now, send money, wait for backorder because everyone and their grandmother bought one, bitch about waiting, become dissatisfied... etc, etc,"

I can wait a bit... and I LOVE the idea of not being tied to a contract for a subsidized phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can wait to a point. I'm one of those and I want it nooooow people . I don't mind not being the first as that'll give me time to watch youtube reviews and read up to see how everyone is liking them but if I can't get one till late July or August. Well at that point the iPhone6 and Nexus 6 information would be leaking out and I've already heard the Nexus 6 may have a 64bit processor not that it really matters but if I have to wait till Aug. for a OnePlus1 I'm probably going to be more inclined to wait the 2.5 months and get the Nexus 6 for the pure Android OS.

I think one of my hesitations is that it's a startup company I believe.
I don't know how many of you guys remember the Adam tablet and all the buzz it had. Thank god I didn't get in on buying one of those.

ETA:Reading their forum and one thread some people aren't too happy about their Smash contest and the invite system and pretty sound like me, willing to wait a short time but after that wait for the Nexus 6 or another phone
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
tough, they are all good phones.

Have you messed with any of them?

In this case, I would weigh a few things.  Memory and battery life.  I also like the ability to use micro SD card as well as change the battery/extended battery.  Kinda leans towards the S5 for my reasons.

I have a Galaxy S4 for work and my personal phone is a Droid MAXX.  There is something to be said for having 78% charge left after 17hrs and 40min of normal use.
View Quote

So how do you like the Droid MAXX?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can wait to a point. I'm one of those and I want it nooooow people . I don't mind not being the first as that'll give me time to watch youtube reviews and read up to see how everyone is liking them but if I can't get one till late July or August. Well at that point the iPhone6 and Nexus 6 information would be leaking out and I've already heard the Nexus 6 may have a 64bit processor not that it really matters but if I have to wait till Aug. for a OnePlus1 I'm probably going to be more inclined to wait the 2.5 months and get the Nexus 6 for the pure Android OS.

I think one of my hesitations is that it's a startup company I believe.
I don't know how many of you guys remember the Adam tablet and all the buzz it had. Thank god I didn't get in on buying one of those.

ETA:Reading their forum and one thread some people aren't too happy about their Smash contest and the invite system and pretty sound like me, willing to wait a short time but after that wait for the Nexus 6 or another phone
View Quote

I definitely think the same way. I'll get in line for an invite, but I hope it does take a little time so people can get hands-on and review them. Right now, I have a Moto G, which should tide me over. I'm actually really liking the smaller size, so I'm not sure if I'll want to go to a 5.5" screen like the OnePlus... but I do like the other specs. And again, having a phone without a contract is pretty awesome. We'll see how it goes!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#48]
My understanding and maybe I'm reading it wrong from looking at their forums is that to get the first invites you got to smash your flagship phone(there's a list)

No freaking way.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, this is embarrassing: the Samsung Galaxy S5 has only been on the market for two weeks, and it's already developed a major fault -- at least for Verizon customers. "Warning," the devices reads. "Camera failure." The camera module appears to be failing outright, with no hope of being revived. Users have tried restarting their camera apps, rebooting devices and even performing factory resets, but nothing works. For now, the only working fix seems to be replacing a device, but some users are still holding out for a software fix.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, this is embarrassing: the Samsung Galaxy S5 has only been on the market for two weeks, and it's already developed a major fault -- at least for Verizon customers. "Warning," the devices reads. "Camera failure." The camera module appears to be failing outright, with no hope of being revived. Users have tried restarting their camera apps, rebooting devices and even performing factory resets, but nothing works. For now, the only working fix seems to be replacing a device, but some users are still holding out for a software fix.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/25/samsung-galaxy-s5-camera-failure/

View Quote

that's no bueno

I was thinking either this or the HTC one that everyone is talking about.

How much longer will the S4 get support?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top