User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If 0.0006% of factory 5.56 ammo caused a fatal kaboom, would you want to shoot 5.56?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and yet statistics put them on par with or less likely than many other breeds to be involved in attacks, when you consider the number of attacks in comparison to the population size. Those pesky damn facts again.

Some homeowner's insurances discriminate. Some don't.

Please show these statistics.  

+1.  

This is from Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt, but I see a theme here.  Dog fatal attacks since 2000

2000 5 Mixed breed dog (2) (40%) Rottweiler (1) (20%) Pit bull (1) (20%) Pomeranian (1) (20%)
2001 13 Rottweiler (6) (46%) Mixed breed dog (1) (8%) Perro de Presa Canario (1) (8%) Unknown strays (1) (8%) Pit bull (1) (8%) Chow (1) (8%) Husky (1) (8%)
2002 6 Rottweiler (4) (67%) Mixed breed dog (2) (33%) German Shepherd (1) (17%)
2003 14 Rottweiler (5) (36%) Pit Bull (4) (29%) Mixed breed dog (3) (21%)
2004 15 Mixed breed dog (10) (67%) Pit Bull (3) (20%) Rottweiler (2) (13%)
2005 29 Mixed breed dog (11) (38%) Pit bull (10) (34%) Rottweiler (4) (14%)
2006 30 Pit bull (14) (47%) Rottweiler (9) (30%) Mixed breed dog (4) (13%)
2007 34 Pit bull (14) (41%) Mixed breed dog (7) (21%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2008 23 Pit bull (12) (52%) Mixed breed dog (7) (30%) Husky (2) (9%)
2009 31 Pit bull (11) (35%) Mixed breed dog (11) (35%)   Rottweiler (2) (6%) Husky (2) (6%)Mastiff (1) (3%) Boxer (1) (3%) Alaskan Malamute (1) (3%) Weimaraner (1) (3%)
2010 36 Pit bull (15) (42%) Mixed breed dog (9) (25%) Rottweiler (4) (11%)
2011 33 Pit bull (14) (42%) Mixed breed dog (8) (24%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2012 35 Pit bull (13) (37%) Mixed breed dog (9) (26%) Rottweiler (3) (9%)
2013 31 Pit bull (15) (48%) Mixed breed dog (12) (39%) Others (4) (13%)

Eta: the numbers you quoted above are for registered dogs.  Many of the fatal attacks are by unregistered dogs or mixes.  It has been discussed at length, but the kind of people that are typically drawn to pit bull type dogs are not the people that are interested in the betterment of the breed.  Registration, what is that?  Craig's List is filled with ads for animals produced by Billy Bob because he happened to have a male and female.  

So then take the above wiki stats for last year alone. 15 fatal attacks by "pit bulls". Considering the population is estimated between 2.5-10 MILLION pit bulls, let's do the math.

15/2500000=0.000006 or 0.0006% of pit bulls would ever be involved in a fatal mauling, and that's estimating the population on the low side. Considering that registration statistics alone put the population at 5 million, a better real time estimate of the actual population is somewhere closer to 7-8 million. So let's crunch those numbers. 15/8000000=0.0000018 or 0.00018% of pit bulls would ever be involved in a fatal mauling.

So you are quite literally more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a pit bull. People throw hysterical fits over them, but it's really just trumped up hysteria. There is absolutely no reason to live in fear of or vilify an entire breed (or group of breeds, really), based off the irresponsibility of a handful of people.

If 0.0006% of factory 5.56 ammo caused a fatal kaboom, would you want to shoot 5.56?

I shoot a Glock .40.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I shoot a Glock .40.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then take the above wiki stats for last year alone. 15 fatal attacks by "pit bulls". Considering the population is estimated between 2.5-10 MILLION pit bulls, let's do the math.

15/2500000=0.000006 or 0.0006% of pit bulls would ever be involved in a fatal mauling, and that's estimating the population on the low side. Considering that registration statistics alone put the population at 5 million, a better real time estimate of the actual population is somewhere closer to 7-8 million. So let's crunch those numbers. 15/8000000=0.0000018 or 0.00018% of pit bulls would ever be involved in a fatal mauling.

So you are quite literally more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a pit bull. People throw hysterical fits over them, but it's really just trumped up hysteria. There is absolutely no reason to live in fear of or vilify an entire breed (or group of breeds, really), based off the irresponsibility of a handful of people.

I shoot a Glock .40.

Good grief, you are attracted to danger like a pit to a toddler!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
From the comments, some are claiming that it was her boyfriend's dog and that it had recently killed another dog...

The mother should be in jail for Child Endagerment. As the apartment manager, she knowing violated policy by having her boyfriend's Pitt Bull living in the apartment with her toddler. The same dog that had killed a neighbor's dog in the past. Then, she lied to the police. To jail she should go!
View Quote

I'm glad that she was able to stop the attack, but perhaps she didn't have the best judgement prior to it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems odd that it was the boyfriends dog and the first time it was around the little girl...but yes I hope Mom learned a lesson and is never that stupid again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fine Woman right there!

Pitbulls the world can do without.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was a DNA test performed? Unless it was, how do we know it was really a pit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pit bull attacked a little kid?  

I'm shocked!

That's a great MOM!

Was a DNA test performed? Unless it was, how do we know it was really a pit?

I hope to god you're kidding
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you just call all pitbulls unstable killers?  are you retarded?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way to go mom!!!
Yeah, way to go mom. Way to bring a strange animal into your home with a 2 year old.  

Stupid fucking people.

No mention of the unstable killer that is BRED that way,  business as usual for you.
Did you just call all pitbulls unstable killers?  are you retarded?  

If he didn't, I will. Fuck owning that unstable breed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
don't hire her as a babysitter either   "Oh sorry, a friend dropped off his pet monkey and his collection of hand grenades for me to watch while he was out of town. You can imagine my surprise when..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not fuck with mom, she will kick your ass!!!!

Fist into the mouth of the Pit Bull, then bites the dogs ear. Do not mess with her.

Not guilty
don't hire her as a babysitter either   "Oh sorry, a friend dropped off his pet monkey and his collection of hand grenades for me to watch while he was out of town. You can imagine my surprise when..."

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get ready for the next new thing, XL Pit Bulls saw a 6 month old male in Tractor Supply that weighed 80 pounds. He was super friendly the owner that was breeding them said his mom weighs 120. It'll be awesome when the gang bangers catch onto those.
View Quote

In before the "What round for an XL?" Thread
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm Fairly sure I could kill a Pit or any aggressive dog with one good slam into the ground with my full weight.

View Quote

HULK SMASH!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you blame the dog then blame the gun, it's literally the same thing.
View Quote

. You should have joined in 2013.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope

There is a video of a donkey killing a pitbull.  The pit took at least 3 full power kicks from the donkey.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm Fairly sure I could kill a Pit or any aggressive dog with one good slam into the ground with my full weight.

Nope

There is a video of a donkey killing a pitbull.  The pit took at least 3 full power kicks from the donkey.

Yeah, but could a pitbull take a full power shot from Squatdog?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Christ.

People love those fucking dogs more than their fellow man.

They will defend the breed over little children.

Every time.
View Quote

Yep and it's crazy and sad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I in before the "This wouldn't happen if it was a pure bred pit bull" crowd?  
View Quote

Nope. They've already showed up with their ghetto dogs of peace.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My mother would have stood there talking to the dog asking it to stop.

That kid has an awesome mother.
View Quote

Really? My mother would have sawed the fucking things head off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much. Logic and reason won't sway those with an irrational hatred. Reason be damned, they're gonna hate what they wanna hate. Much like gun control advocates that dance on the graves of children, they get a sick joy every time they hear a story that fits their narrative. You have only to look at how quickly they pounce to vilify the entire breed for the actions of only a handful of dogs, while essentially absolving the adults in the situations of any responsibility whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you blame the dog then blame the gun, it's literally the same thing.
Sure, because guns live, eat, and breathe. They also frequently shoot on their own with zero human intervention.  

Let's not pretend we don't know what the real comparison is. If a gun owner leaves a loaded and cocked single-action revolver on a kitchen table with children around and doesn't supervise them, they're terribly irresponsible. They created a situation that put the children at risk. Similarly, this mother created a situation that put her daughter at risk. Leaving aside the statistics that show that pitbulls are among the least likely dogs, given the population size, to kill somebody - and the fact that we have no idea what the actual breed or mix of the dog was - this woman brought an unfamiliar dog around a toddler. Toddlers should be kept away from *any* dogs because dogs are animals and they don't often take kindly to what children do to them.

Pretty much. Logic and reason won't sway those with an irrational hatred. Reason be damned, they're gonna hate what they wanna hate. Much like gun control advocates that dance on the graves of children, they get a sick joy every time they hear a story that fits their narrative. You have only to look at how quickly they pounce to vilify the entire breed for the actions of only a handful of dogs, while essentially absolving the adults in the situations of any responsibility whatsoever.

Blah, blah, blah,........Yawn.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get ready for the next new thing, XL Pit Bulls saw a 6 month old male in Tractor Supply that weighed 80 pounds. He was super friendly the owner that was breeding them said his mom weighs 120. It'll be awesome when the gang bangers catch onto those.

Ironically it'll most likely be the same caliber as the name of the poster in this thread so rabidly defending them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
babysitting a pitbull when you have a two year old?

this

Have to agree. She played the stupid game and her kid won the prize.

If I go swimming with sharks, and have a leg get bitten off but survive, that doesn't make me a hero; it makes me lucky. Glad the little girl is okay.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top