Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:37:35 AM EDT
Serious question, every time I go to Wal-Mart (which I try to avoid at all costs) every single person in front of my pays with an EBT card. Today I had to pick something up and the 3 groups of people in front of my all used EBT. And if you're wondering how I know, the cards are apparent and they combined them with cash
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They make the majority of their money on the interest they earn by not paying suppliers for 90 days after the item sells, IIRC.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
For every household not receiving any government money, 1.7 households are receiving money.

Imagine the economy if those 1.7 households no longer had the money available to shop at Wal-Mart?

Do the math.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]
No. I work there. Not as many people use it as you think. Wal-Mart makes very little money from the food side of the business. Most of the money is made from the General Merchandise that has a much higher margin than groceries
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. I work there. Not as many people use it as you think. Wal-Mart makes very little money from the food side of the business. Most of the money is made from the General Merchandise that has a much higher margin than groceries
View Quote
Have you worked between midnight and 0500 ?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. Some thing like 20% of Krafts' total revenue is from food stamps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For every household not receiving any government money, 1.7 households are receiving money.

Imagine the economy if those 1.7 households no longer had the money available to shop at Wal-Mart?

Do the math.

TRG

Government cheese.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never worked there but I shopped at one after midnight many times and it was amazing to see the cash that the Mexicans pulled out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense.  Most everybody else is making money off the government.  That's where the easy money is.  Until it isn't.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the AO of a particular store.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I had asked a Walmart cashier once.  She said easily 7 out of 10 transactions she does is with EBT/Link/etc.

But then again I am kinda close to East St. Louis.  If I stick to my small mom and pop grocery store here in Podunk-ville, the numbers drop to about 2 out of 10.

A black lady I kinda know calls the first of the month "Mother's Day" because that is when the Link cards get "recharged".

Think about this:  without the government subsidizing their groceries, would the FSA have that much money to blow on drugs and Cadillac Escalades?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
You must live in a very economically depressed area.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do the math.

TRG
View Quote

That money would still be in the hands of those that earned it, plus a lot lost in graft and waste.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have never worked there but I shopped at one after midnight many times and it was amazing to see the cash that the Mexicans pulled out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been behind a woman that swiped 3 Lone Star cards and calmly paid for her smokes with a hundred

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I dunno, but in my local grocery store, when I whip out my debit card, the first option on the screen is for EBT cards. Usually screen designers put the most frequently selected option first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Up here, the EBT users easily burn through their bennies in the first week.  They still sell a fuck ton of groceries the rest of the month.  Most of us have a rule not to go there the first weekend of the month as the closest walmart is right next to a reservation and they're pretty much all on EBT.  It's crazy watching the Pepsi and Doritos fly out the door at such a pace.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Your anecdote really convinces me
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Walmart makes most of their money off people like me.

Family of four, I do all of my grocery shopping at Walmart, and a large percentage of everything else, shoes, socks, underpants & ammo, fishing tackle, auto maintenance, yard plants, I spend hundreds every week there.

One stop shopping.

I don't have time to spend a day touring nurseries, but if my kid spots a cool looking plant for the yard for $ 10 while we're cruising though the garden department, picking up salt for the water softener, on the way to the groceries, it's going in the cart. same with everything else. If I can get something serviceable there and not have to waste time looking else ware, I'm buying.

Joe average has made Walmart what it is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That money would still be in the hands of those that earned it, plus a lot lost in graft and waste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the math.

TRG

Nobody 'earned it' when it is 17 trillion in magic fiat currency.

Write a $1000.00 check to yourself and tell me if you 'earned it' or not.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Wasn't Walmart forecasting lower profits partially attributed to the reduction in food stamp payments on their last earnings call?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wasn't Walmart forecasting lower profits partially attributed to the reduction in food stamp payments on their last earnings call?
View Quote

Man I hope so.  Around here everybody has a damn food stamp card.

And about $500 worth of ink running down each arm and leg!

Funny how that works?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the math.

TRG

What about Frito-Lay?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Walmart I worked 3rd shift at about 8 years ago did between $70000 to 110000 a day in food & general merchandise sales each.
The year I was there they did $65 MILLION  in sales.

They still found ways to screw employees out of bonuses.

Yes there was a lot of people with EBT cards at night time & strippers from the local club after 2AM would come shopping with there EBT cards.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Dollar stores are now eating Wal-Mart's lunch. Blame the Obma economy for lowering the standard of living.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I work at a competitor, more people use it than you think. It's fun trying to guess if they're going to use it or not. Sometimes it's obvious, like when it's the  first or the fifteenth and they're buying $200 worth of steaks and are acting like trash the entire time they're being checked out. Other times I've been legitimately surprised at people that whip out ebt cards.

Quoted:

Yes
there was a lot of people with EBT cards at night time & strippers
from the local club after 2AM would come shopping with there EBT cards.

Once I had a ho and her pimp come through my line...

She started bitching when her liquor mixer wasn't covered by EBT. I honestly didn't fucking know if it should have been or not, but I wasn't going to override it because fuck her. Her pimp was like "Chill baby I got it!" and whipped a stack of hundreds out of his shirt that were resting against his nasty hairy pimp chest.

I shit you not, he looked just like this:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They make the majority of their money on the interest they earn by not paying suppliers for 90 days after the item sells, IIRC.

Kharn

View Quote

I remember a business school prof telling us that. Grocery stores don't make any money on selling food - their goal is to just to break even.  Like you said - they make their money on getting paid for groceries and investing that money for 3 months before they pay suppliers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You must live in a very economically depressed area.

View Quote

The average home cost here is almost $700K.  There are probably more EBT recipients/users per square mile here than any other location in the US.    The leeches aren't all concentrated in places like Mississippi.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I remember a business school prof telling us that. Grocery stores don't make any money on selling food - their goal is to just to break even.  Like you said - they make their money on getting paid for groceries and investing that money for 3 months before they pay suppliers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

It depends on the chain. We make tons and tons of money on rebates we get from the manufacturers when we sell huge amounts of their product. Some chains pick different items to jack their profit up on. Milk is usually considered a loss leader, it is sold at a loss, because you know virtually everyone that buys it will be buying other items as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Walmart would not have posted a sign in RI stores informing thier customers about the .gov lowering benefits if thier bottom line is unaffected by EBT. I dont think they did it to be nice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had asked a Walmart cashier once.  She said easily 7 out of 10 transactions she does is with EBT/Link/etc.

But then again I am kinda close to East St. Louis.  If I stick to my small mom and pop grocery store here in Podunk-ville, the numbers drop to about 2 out of 10.

A black lady I kinda know calls the first of the month "Mother's Day" because that is when the Link cards get "recharged".

Think about this:  without the government subsidizing their groceries, would the FSA have that much money to blow on drugs and Cadillac Escalades?

View Quote

Or would crime be a lot worse? I know people complain about the FSA but it might be keeping the crime rate a lot lower than it should be during the Obamarecession.
And if you take 20% of Kraft's sales, how many employees would have to be let go?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Walmart I worked 3rd shift at about 8 years ago did between $70000 to 110000 a day in food & general merchandise sales each.

Yes there was a lot of people with EBT cards at night time & strippers from the local club after 2AM would come shopping with there EBT cards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screwed out of bonus,  I thought you got paid for the hours you worked.

Was there a guarantee of a bonus they did not pay?

Or the alternative....

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Honestly if you're going to the same Walmarts and you see people with EBT paying every time, you may be shopping in a shitty Walmart in a shitty area.  Just sayin.

I've been to Walmarts from Illinois to Nebraska to Georgia.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do the math.

TRG
View Quote

Are we talking strictly EBT? Or does that ratio include government employees, military, social security recipients, etc as receiving government money?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Walmart would not have posted a sign in RI stores informing thier customers about the .gov lowering benefits if thier bottom line is unaffected by EBT. I dont think they did it to be nice.
View Quote

Can you expand on that?  Not sure what you mean.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Or the alternative....

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the alternative....

TXL

Probably a bonus based on so many performance and safety metrics that it confuses the hell out of everybody, including management. No one can actually explain it, show a mathematical formula for it, or figure it out. Thus, it's whatever seems sort of plausible at the time. Sounds good in theory, often sucks in application for the receiving end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Honestly if you're going to the same Walmarts and you see people with EBT paying every time, you may be shopping in a shitty Walmart in a shitty area.  Just sayin.

I've been to Walmarts from Illinois to Nebraska to Georgia.
View Quote

I live in Plano Tx, not a shitty area.  You would be surprised how many EBT's get used there.

And I pretty much am like PR361.  Most of my money goes to wally world, except for clothing or an above walmart quality need.

Too much goes to costco as well.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

One of my favorite things about Costco.  They don't take EBT.  It keeps the shitbag ratio down compared to Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine does between $250,000 to $300,000 a day. We are a $90,000,000 a year store. We were a $110 million a year store until another WM opened about 15 miles away about 3 years ago. The store 30 minutes south of me does $125 million a year. It's a busy store!

If your store was only doing $110,000 a day you were a pretty small store. I'd guess closer to $45,000,000 a year or so.

I would think that if every customer at a store uses EBT cards, that reflects more on the area you live than the store one shops at....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Probably a bonus based on so many performance and safety metrics that it confuses the hell out of everybody, including management. No one can actually explain it, show a mathematical formula for it, or figure it out. Thus, it's whatever seems sort of plausible at the time. Sounds good in theory, often sucks in application for the receiving end.
View Quote

Ok, gotcha.  They had a bonus in place, and decided (probably for quarterly earnings) to find a way out of paying it.  

Funny how that works out.  

Sorry to hear man.  But the owners do get paid first.

TXL

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meet sales and profit goals. Not too hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One of my favorite things about Costco.  They don't take EBT.  It keeps the shitbag ratio down compared to Wal-Mart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

They will, once they realize the money they can make.  The economy for costco shoppers, imo, is not as dire as others.  But once that starts failing, per obama's design, hello EBT...

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They will, once they realize the money they can make.  The economy for costco shoppers, imo, is not as dire as others.  But once that starts failing, per obama's design, hello EBT...

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

TXL

I don't know.  They also don't take any credit card but their own.  Do they have to pay a processing fee for EBT?  I'm assuming they do, like they would for credit cards and that's why they don't take them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the math.

TRG

TRG

[Yoda] But you will... YOU WILL [/Yoda]

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't know.  They also don't take any credit card but their own.  Do they have to pay a processing fee for EBT?  I'm assuming they do, like they would for credit cards and that's why they don't take them.
View Quote

IMO, when earnings from current operations fall below expectations, SOMETHING will happen, and a new revenue source will be looked at.  Again, my opinion.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is the formula? That is nice if it really is that simple and transparent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Serious question, every time I go to Wal-Mart (which I try to avoid at all costs) every single person in front of my pays with an EBT card. Today I had to pick something up and the 3 groups of people in front of my all used EBT. And if you're wondering how I know, the cards are apparent and they combined them with cash
View Quote

They asserted so themselves. One of their recent filings discussed what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

IMO, when earnings from current operations fall below expectations, SOMETHING will happen, and a new revenue source will be looked at.  Again, my opinion.

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

Well whatever they are doing seems to be working. Given Costco's limited number of locations, I'm not sure what point there would be in going out of one's way to visit one if the experience becomes the same as shopping at the local WalMart.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Walmart's annual report stated that approximately 70% of their revenue was through government assisted programs and that they were concerned with future growth since the government was tight their belts in certain catagories
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#50]
EBT is all the fault of WalMart.

No one else takes EBT.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top