BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had read that the current popular theory is that they broke up on the surface due to the rivet construction of additions which had been added over time to lengthen her.
View Quote

There's a ton of theory's as to why it went down (much like the Titanic) I think it was a combination of all of the above, they had old chart's and ran aground, ships superstructure was weak, very bad weather, and a possible shifting load.

I don't buy the USCG's hatch cover theory for a second.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's a ton of theory's as to why it went down (much like the Titanic) I think it was a combination of all of the above, they had old chart's and ran aground, ships superstructure was weak, very bad weather, and a possible shifting load.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had read that the current popular theory is that they broke up on the surface due to the rivet construction of additions which had been added over time to lengthen her.

There's also a good theory about a rogue wave that formed, which was about 60ft high. I wouldn't think much could have survived that, especially loaded down with ore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There's also a good theory about a rogue wave that formed, which was about 60ft high. I wouldn't think much could have survived that, especially loaded down with ore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's plausible too, and would explain the lack of a distress call and blown out bridge windows.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Airplanes crash all the time, too. What's the fascination with some stupid Malaysian 777?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ships sink all the time, I never understood the fascination with this one.

Airplanes crash all the time, too. What's the fascination with some stupid Malaysian 777?

I don't get it either......
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
because no one really knows what went on is my guess.
View Quote

That didn't stop Sebastian Junger with the Perfect Storm when it came to the Andrea Gail .
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't take it anymore. It keeps popping up in my subscribed threads.

Edmund. Edmund. Edmund.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you could drain the lake this is what the wreck would look like.

The pilot house. Shows just how violent the breakup was.

The lifeboat was found during one of the searches.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I never bought the "uncharted" shoal idea myself.

I always figured she was taking on water, she had a list shortly before she disappeared and IMO the 3 sisters explanation makes the most sense. Particularly as the Anderson reported hitting those waves as well. I think they put the Fitz up at the bow and stern with all that weight in the middle, unsupported and she cracked up and went down - buried by the waves so fast she couldn't get a signal off.

Most people who've never been to the Great Lakes can't possibly fathom how large they really are and how dangerous they are. Also most don't simply understand how huge a Great Lakes freighter is. Once you REALLY get your mind around how huge the Fitz was, you can really begin to appreciate how horrible the weather was to put her down.

Never mind the other great storms that hit the lakes years prior - Storm of 1913 (killed 250 and sunk 19 ships), Black Friday of 1916 (49 men and 4 ships), and The Armistice Blizzard of 40 (66 deaths and several sinkings).  

I've also always found the sinking of the Bradley in 58 and the Morell in 66 to be really interesting as well.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ballard found it awhile ago, and confirmed the speculations as to what happened - there's more than one documentary about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballard found it awhile ago, and confirmed the speculations as to what happened - there's more than one documentary about it.

The USCG found the Fitzgerald.

I'm not sure Ballard has ever dived on Mighty Fitz.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It probably had a more localized impact on a single particular community than most ocean going ship wrecks.  Just a guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably had a more localized impact on a single particular community than most ocean going ship wrecks.  Just a guess.

A guy form my home town died on the ship. Many local towns and cities can make the same claim.

It was a large, modern, and largely "unsinkable" ship that went down with little warning and quickly enough that they never got an SOS off. Compound that with the fact that most experts cannot agree on what, exactly, caused her to sink and you have a great modern mystery. One that endures to this day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I always figured she was taking on water, she had a list shortly before she disappeared and IMO the 3 sisters explanation makes the most sense. Particularly as the Anderson reported hitting those waves as well. I think they put the Fitz up at the bow and stern with all that weight in the middle, unsupported and she cracked up and went down - buried by the waves so fast she couldn't get a signal off.

Most people who've never been to the Great Lakes can't possibly fathom how large they really are and how dangerous they are. Also most don't simply understand how huge a Great Lakes freighter is. Once you REALLY get your mind around how huge the Fitz was, you can really begin to appreciate how horrible the weather was to put her down.

Never mind the other great storms that hit the lakes years prior - Storm of 1913 (killed 250 and sunk 19 ships), Black Friday of 1916 (49 men and 4 ships), and The Armistice Blizzard of 40 (66 deaths and several sinkings).  

I've also always found the sinking of the Bradley in 58 and the Morell in 66 to be really interesting as well.

View Quote

Schumacker reported that the charts were found to be inaccurate in his book, Mighty Fitz

If I recall correctly, he isn't the only researcher to claim this.

The Captain of the Anderson is on record, saying that Fitzgerald passed closer to the shoals than he'd have wanted to get. That, coupled with a down railing, seems to indicate there was a good possibility that she grounded at some point. She certainly suffered some major hull damage. Waves could not knockdown her rail by themselves.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The don't know what happened to the Andrea Gail, but that didn't stop a book and a film.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The church bell chimed til It rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
We're holding our own...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The waves on Superior tend to have no real rhyme.  Waves on the open ocean are mostly aligned with one another.  Superior waves in a storm are like putting water in a cake pan and shaking it.  They come from all directions.  It really is a ridiculously dangerous lake in stormy weather.  I used to fish with my grandfather in a 14 foot lund on Superior.

Any weather made that insanely dangerous.  You get 90 MPH winds on Superior those ships might as well be a 14 foot lund

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't buy it at all "back in the day" shit was done with pride and nothing was done half ass.  now it we count every min of everyday you just get it done.  but in defense when bad weather comes we all know and we do take the extra steps to prepare for weather.  a 20 ft wave doesn't sound bad till you are in it and what makes the different for lake then ocean people is the frequency that the wave comes at, and by that is you get hit with a wave then your bow drops in the valley and before you come all the way back up your getting hit by another.  I felt waves hit so hard I though I was in a car wreck

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Schumacker reported that the charts were found to be inaccurate in his book, Mighty Fitz

The Captain of the Anderson is on record, saying that Fitzgerald passed closer to the shoals than he'd have wanted to get. That, coupled with a down railing, seems to indicate there was a good possibility that she grounded at some point. She certainly suffered some major hull damage. Waves could not knockdown her rail by themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy Bruce spent his whole career on lake freighters and was on a freighter that ran the same route as the Fitz but about an hour earlier. Bruce had sailed with the captain of the Fitz (didn't like him) and said that he had a tendency to run boats too close to shore. Bruce and his coworkers agree with the theory that the ship ran too close to the shoals, hit bottom and cracked the hull.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Didn't stop 'em from making "Titanic."
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let me see if I can help you with that...

"I GOT A BRAND NEW PAIR OF ROLLER SKATES...YOU GOT A BRAND NEW KEY"...

Did that help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now the song is stuck in my head.

Did that help?

Motherfucker!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
A few ships in heavy seas on Lake Superior. The Fitz apparently encountered a freak storm much worse then these.

Photographs were taken in November 2006 aboard Misener Steamships MV Selkirk Settler as she crossed Lake Superior

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a pic of a rogue wave. These are rare but they do exist is heavy storms. This is what probably took down the Fitz in one shot even before they could get a distress signal out.

Another rogue wave over an oil freighter.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When someone writes a hit song about it and we start talking it to death on a yearly basis, get back to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When someone writes a hit song about it and we start talking it to death on a yearly basis, get back to me.

Tell us how you feel about D.B Cooper....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
hmm
View Quote

I don't know what your post has to do with anything, but I sure liked that thread and the other two of your's that I ended up in from it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That didn't stop Sebastian Junger with the Perfect Storm when it came to the Andrea Gail .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts as well a great book and a ok movie.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#25]

I don't remember seeing anything like that in either of the two museums I've been to on the shores of Superior. Wow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did that help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did that help?

You are an evil, evil man!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Envious, mostly
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Speaking of the Great Lakes.  A new Great Lakes museum opens this weekend in Toledo, OH..

I once had the privilege of experiencing the wake off the bow of a 1000 foot freighter in the St. Clair river in my 16 Donzi.  Things push about an 8 foot deep trough off the bow.   Kind of unnerving when you look around and all you see is water.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't remember seeing anything like that in either of the two museums I've been to on the shores of Superior. Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is a incredible picture.  If the Fitz was already low in the water from leaking, damage, and/or overloading, I could easily see a wave like that submarine'ing the wheel house into a unrecoverable condition.  You always also have to wonder about the haul integrity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess you never saw "Boogie Nights."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did that help?

Dear Lord, I haven't thought of that song in probably thirty years.

I guess you never saw "Boogie Nights."  

Mmmmmmmm.  RollerGirl.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was looking at Fred Stonehouse's book and he is saying that the charts were made in 1919, and that was/is commonplace.
The book also stated they had no electronic depth finding equipment,
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn, that's one hell of a wave............I would have hated to have been crossing the deck when that thing came

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If that ship was standing "on end", it would be sticking out of the water.
View Quote

Wow, that is amazing and accurate.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Tony Rice's cover was better than Gordon's original.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was looking at Fred Stonehouse's book and he is saying that the charts were made in 1919, and that was/is commonplace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schumacker agrees (Just looked it up.MIghty Fitz p63)  It was found, after the Fitzgerald wreck, that Six Fathom Shoals actually extended north about a mile further than the charts showed. In some parts of this area, the depth of the lake was as little as 31 feet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Double shot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My buddy Bruce spent his whole career on lake freighters and was on a freighter that ran the same route as the Fitz but about an hour earlier. Bruce had sailed with the captain of the Fitz (didn't like him) and said that he had a tendency to run boats too close to shore. Bruce and his coworkers agree with the theory that the ship ran too close to the shoals, hit bottom and cracked the hull.
View Quote

Growing up. my neighbor was a Lake Freighter captain. He really didn't have an opinion about Cooper, but he did have rather dim view of the USCG, after that night.

It was pretty hard to get him worked up about anything, so I assume he feels pretty strongly about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Because it happened in a lake and not an ocean
View Quote

believe me if you stand on the shore of Lake Superior you will think its the ocean or the sea
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

believe me if you stand on the shore of Lake Superior you will think its the ocean or the sea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it happened in a lake and not an ocean

True statement.  I now live by the  Atlantic ocean and the shore of Lake Erie is just as intimidating.  Those Great Lakes are just as dangerous in bad storms.  Look at those pictures posted above.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top