Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Residual break heat had worked in the past
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The wheel well had to have been heated for him to survive.. Anybody have any knowledge of that?

Do pilots keep the brakes on while taking off?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Still unpressurized, he would have been warmer but would be dead because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such horseshit.  Maybe in the cargo compartment...

Still unpressurized, he would have been warmer but would be dead because of it.

The cargo compartment is inside the pressurized zone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The wheel well had to have been heated for him to survive.. Anybody have any knowledge of that?

How much break heat is generated by takeoff?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus, the last thing you want is for brakes to retain heat.  You want them to dissipate heat.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about the security? What if that kid had 20 lbs of HE strapped on?
View Quote

you know every jackass with S.J.S (Sudden Jihad Syndrome) and an RSS feed is now planning to jump a fence and get in a wheel well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
6 hour flight. Let's say an estimate of 4 hours at altitude.

-70 degrees for 4 hours? Ok... lets say the radiant heat from the hydraulics and tires kept him warm enough for 2 hours until they cooled. 2 hours at -70 degrees and the kid didn't have frostbite? No lost fingers or toes?

I call bullshit.
View Quote

I have another question, are the tires that hot from a landing still after being on the ground for a couple hours for turnaround? Seems like if they just landed then took off again but on a flight that long you're going to be on the ground at least a couple hours taking on fuel, getting the cabin turned around for the next load of people right?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have another question, are the tires that hot from a landing still after being on the ground for a couple hours for turnaround? Seems like if they just landed then took off again but on a flight that long you're going to be on the ground at least a couple hours taking on fuel, getting the cabin turned around for the next load of people right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-70 degrees for 4 hours? Ok... lets say the radiant heat from the hydraulics and tires kept him warm enough for 2 hours until they cooled. 2 hours at -70 degrees and the kid didn't have frostbite? No lost fingers or toes?

I call bullshit.

No.  Most modern aircraft (and retrofitted old ones) use carbon/carbon brakes.  They dissipate heat very quickly, much more quickly than the old steel brakes did.  Any heat in the brake would have been from brake application during taxi, and that wouldn't be much heat energy at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Publicity stunt for the Airline?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only on treadmills.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are they publicizing?  Their new four class configuration, 1st, business, coach, and cargo?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What are they publicizing?  Their new four class configuration, 1st, business, coach, and cargo?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hell I would much rather ride in cargo than coach
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Wing" - that's where they just strap you to the outside and you pray you don't fly off.

Nice view though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Wing" - that's where they just strap you to the outside and you pray you don't fly off.

Nice view though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice view though.

The Russians have had "wing class" since the 30s.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Some time in the early/mid 1960's a pair of Cuban Teens hid inside the wheel well of an airliner headed to Spain.  As I recall from the article they were very cold, maybe semi-conscious, but alive and otherwise healthy when the airliner landed.  They were regarded as hero's for their novel escape from Fidel's Cuba.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Apparently he's not the only person to have survived a trip in the wheel well and the wheels do put out some heat (but probably not for the whole flight of course)

The last known survivor of a stowaway incident was last August on a domestic flight within Nigeria, Africa, according to the FAA. In 2000, Fidel Maruhi survived a 4,000-mile journey from Tahiti to Los Angeles. Victor Alvarez Molina survived a trip from Cuba to Canada in 2002, and five years later 15-year-old Andrei Shcherbakov survived a trip from Perm, Russia, to Moscow, claiming he went into the wheel well to check it out and fell asleep.

Pardeep Saini was found alive at London’s Heathrow airport in 1997 after traveling from Delhi with his younger brother, Vijay, who did not survive the trip.

"The noise was terrible," he told British media at the time. "As the wheels came up they were glowing hot. They were burning us. The wheel house was shaking. It was like an earthquake. My whole body started feeling numb."

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Your link doesn't work.  What FAA report?  At what altitude and what duration?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://music.yahoo.com/news/did-teen-stowaway-survive-5-1-2-hour-111454804.html

ABC News cites a Federal Aviation Administration report that estimates that the chances of surviving as a wheel-well stowaway on a commercial aircraft are about 24 percent. Radiant heat from the plane's hydraulics as well as the wheels themselves can help warm the compartment, the FAA notes. And the plane's gradual ascent and descent allow the body to adjust to the extremes of cold, lack of oxygen, and low pressure.

No idea why it doesn't work for you but it doesn't link to or specifically name the report. The next link discusses a 1996 FAA report on the matter and gives some interesting info but it's too long to quote.

http://news.yahoo.com/stowaway-might-survived-international-flight-wheel-well-153026252.html

FAA report Survival at high altitude: wheel well passengers
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No idea why it doesn't work for you but it doesn't link to or specifically name the report. The next link discusses a 1996 FAA report on the matter and gives some interesting info but it's too long to quote.

http://news.yahoo.com/stowaway-might-survived-international-flight-wheel-well-153026252.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://music.yahoo.com/news/did-teen-stowaway-survive-5-1-2-hour-111454804.html

ABC News cites a Federal Aviation Administration report that estimates that the chances of surviving as a wheel-well stowaway on a commercial aircraft are about 24 percent. Radiant heat from the plane's hydraulics as well as the wheels themselves can help warm the compartment, the FAA notes. And the plane's gradual ascent and descent allow the body to adjust to the extremes of cold, lack of oxygen, and low pressure.

The link worked this time.  That's pretty interesting, I'm really surprised that survival is possible.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I doubt it is ever -70 in the wheel well itself.  The airstream outside may be -40 or so, but the radiant heat from the adjacent cargo compartment/passenger compartment, the fuel tank(s) plus residual heat from the brakes (not much from taxi/takeoff) would probably keep it closer to 0.  

I still think it's complete bullshit, and I think he was in the passenger or crew compartment somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call bullshit.

I doubt it is ever -70 in the wheel well itself.  The airstream outside may be -40 or so, but the radiant heat from the adjacent cargo compartment/passenger compartment, the fuel tank(s) plus residual heat from the brakes (not much from taxi/takeoff) would probably keep it closer to 0.  

I still think it's complete bullshit, and I think he was in the passenger or crew compartment somewhere.

Even at 0 degrees, you'd start getting frostbite within an hour with no gloves on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
News reported that out of a 125 people who have done this over the years only 25 survived.
A Doctor was saying that his body may have entered into some type of hypothermic state and his body shut down and slowly recovered on the decent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I'm calling BS
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
News reported that out of a 125 people who have done this over the years only 25 survived.
A Doctor was saying that his body may have entered into some type of hypothermic state and his body shut down and slowly recovered on the decent.
View Quote

Those are not good odds...and you don't get frequent flier miles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor do you get asked if you'd like cookies, pretzels or peanuts. Maybe he's part Sherpa?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the plus side, you don't have to wrestle a fat guy for the armrest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm calling BS
View Quote

It's for realz.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah I'm calling BS

View Quote
Why?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Sometimes they lose their grip before the wheels come up.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae159/draynes/blind_16_9_81264816x9.jpg
View Quote

Where was that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#28]
At what altitude do the doors open for final approach?

I would think the kid would still be unconscious.  If so, he should have fallen out.  Unless he had the foresight to tie himself down. I'm calling BS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Aside from the fact that he now has 40 percent fewer functional brain cells
View All Quotes
Quoted:
the boy was medically screened and found to be unharmed.

Aside from the fact that he now has 40 percent fewer functional brain cells

He didn't survive 38K feet and those temperatures without SOME kind of damage!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Where was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae159/draynes/blind_16_9_81264816x9.jpg

Where was that?

http://miepvonsydow.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/a-14-year-old-boy-falls-out-of-the-wheel-well-of-an-airliner-as-it-takes-off-1970/

I recalled a remarkable photograph I’d seen as a teenager depicting a
young boy falling to his death from the landing gear bay of a Japan Air
Lines DC-8. The picture would have been taken in the late 1960s or early
’70s. I remembered it vividly, but hadn’t seen it in more than 20
years. After much searching, I’ve finally managed to locate a copy
online, viewable here. As the caption explains, John Gilpin, an amateur
photographer, was trying out a new camera lens at the airport in Sydney,
Australia, when he unwittingly captured the deadly fall of 14-year-old
Keith Sapsford, who had sneaked into the undercarriage well in hopes of
reaching Japan.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I call bullshit.

How would he get into and out of the pass/crew compartments at both airports from the tarmac?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-stowaway-teen-exiting-wheel-death-defying/story?id=23402777

Airport surveillance video shows a 16-year-old stowaway easing his way
out of a jetliner's front wheel well and stepping onto the tarmac in
Hawaii after miraculously surviving a five-hour flight from San Jose,
Calif., in the unpressurized compartment, authorities said today.

The video appears to lend credence to the teen's story that he survived a flight that some experts deemed impossible.

The video captured the stowaway -- wearing a hoodie, jeans and sneakers
-- exiting the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767.

"Surveillance  video at Kahului Airport showed what appeared to be the
boy exiting from the wheel well of  a plane from San Jose, California,
that had landed in Kahului, Maui, at about 10:30 a.m.," Maui Airports
District Manager Marvin Moniz told ABC News.

<snip>

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only when taking off from a treadmill.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Should have jumped into the marsh after takeoff.  Then off to rescue Jenny.
View Quote

I see what you did there.

Let off some steam, Bennett.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Typically airport police.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the security? What if that kid had 20 lbs of HE strapped on?

Well then, I don't think he would have survived

Right.. and neither would the couple hundred passengers and crew if it were detonated at say 15k ft.

Seems like a huge fail by the vaunted TSA.

Is an airport perimeter and Tarmac area the responsibility of TSA or airport police?
Typically airport police.  

Yep. I was being sarcastic for the people making the TSA cracks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

But don't bother that guy that was sitting next to him, though. He was dead tired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
whats the point of tsa?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

or gone in the maintenance door,past the barking dog then up the elevator to the warm cozy cabin. I think there is an empty seat next to that tired guy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already have the banners up in airports:

"Steerage class, redefined"
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Local news just reported he was seen climbing down from the landing gear. Yesterdays paper said he fell down & collapsed

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
whats the point of tsa?
View Quote

The guy sneaking onto an airport and climbing into a plane isn't a TSA issue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Local news just reported he was seen climbing down from the landing gear. Yesterdays paper said he fell down & collapsed

View Quote

That's really just a difference in descriptive style. Go to any college campus on a Friday night and try to figure out who is walking/climbing vs collapsing & falling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steerage class is obviously in the nose wheel well.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#43]
>>Airport surveillance video shows a 16-year-old stowaway easing his way out of a jetliner's front wheel well and stepping onto the tarmac in Hawaii after miraculously surviving a five-hour flight from San Jose, Calif., in the unpressurized compartment, authorities said today. <<

If this is in fact true, then this is a hoax. There is no room for a human being in the nose wheel well of a B767 when the nose gear is retracted.  He would have been crushed. The main gear areas have room, but not the nose gear.

I don't believe this story. I think it's a hoax.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Based upon the news reports of this (no matter what happened) there will be a dozen or better idiots who think it will be a good idea to also try the wheelwell out in the next year
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
>>Airport surveillance video shows a 16-year-old stowaway easing his way out of a jetliner's front wheel well and stepping onto the tarmac in Hawaii after miraculously surviving a five-hour flight from San Jose, Calif., in the unpressurized compartment, authorities said today. <<

If this is in fact true, then this is a hoax. There is no room for a human being in the nose wheel well of a B767 when the nose gear is retracted.  He would have been crushed. The main gear areas have room, but not the nose gear.

View Quote

Another report mentioned it being the left main wheel well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's really just a difference in descriptive style. Go to any college campus on a Friday night and try to figure out who is walking/climbing vs collapsing & falling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like an expert.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody locally here in HI posted a photo in response to the original story.  It was a photo of two footprints on top of a MLG tire with the comment "you're going to see this on the news soon".
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If he survived that he can climb MT. Everest right?
View Quote

I think that is 10,000 feet above Everest, could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
whats the point of tsa?
View Quote

Employ sex offenders, They have a hard time finding jobs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I had linked to a stagnation temp chart, but then realized I already had an adiabatic wall temperature chart prepared, so I won't have to bore you with the math to convert from free-stream to adiabatic wall, using stagnation as a starting point.

[For those of you interested, the skin temperature (adiabatic wall) of the aircraft is 0.7x of the temperature rise between the full stagnation value, and the ambient value.]

This table does that calc.  What's up with the axes?  Well, arfcom loves the SR-71, so this table was done to bound that flight envelope.  It's a little coarse for airliner work, but it's good enough.

For a  0.85M, 38,000 feet, the skin temperature would be right around -30ºF.  The main gear bay is outside of the cabin/cargo pressure boundary and any ventilation airflow through that bay would be via ram air, which would enter the aircraft at stagnation temperature, which would be -17ºF at these flight conditions.

It's unlikely an unconscious human would survive these conditions without proper protective clothing, and even more unlikely there would be no evidence of thermal injury around the lips, nose, ears, fingertips, et cetera.

ETA:
The tires will be around 200ºF after the takeoff roll in near-standard conditions.  So, that's a good source of heat, but at a time when you really don't need it, nor want it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top