Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2014 3:13:59 PM EDT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10776056/US-approves-Palcohol-powdered-alcohol-is-on-the-way.html

Just add water for a little drinky poo. Or sprinkle it on Randy's cheeseburgers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck the water. Do a 12 inch line instead of 12 ounce curls
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As an aspiring ultralight backpacker who likes to have a drink or two on the trail that concept is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ban it for the children, the children I say.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if you can snort it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Butt chuggin some powder?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Brings a whole new meaning to mixing alcohol and coke...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's brilliant

I was never a margarita man but I think I'm going to mix some and salt the rim with powdered liquor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you can buy it at the same stores which sell dehydrated water.

I call BS.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
People will die, it will be banned
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

People will die, it will be banned
View Quote
Didn't stop it as it is now and ever since .....drunk drivers etc.   why ban now?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
So you can pound rails and not have to take a piss??

Brilliant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Make mine bourbon flavored . . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best FP ever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As an aspiring ultralight backpacker who likes to have a drink or two on the trail that concept is fucking awesome.

View Quote
First thought was for camping too.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Need a couple 55 gallon drums for shtf !!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like where this is going
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like BS
Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
SPEEDBUMP AHEAD!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
The site also suggested that users add Palcohol to their food: "Sprinkle Palcohol on almost any dish and give it an extra kick. Some of our favourites are the Kamikaze in guacamole, Rum on a BBQ sandwich, Cosmo on a salad and Vodka on eggs in the morning to start your day off right. Experiment.

Start your day off with powdered vodka on your eggs?  

Yumsy wumsy
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh Shit!!!

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
what next? dehydrated water?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
So in.

When that hits the shelves, I'm buying cases. This is gonna get banned faster than a frat guy can chug a FourLoko. So many college kids are gonna die.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So in.

When that hits the shelves, I'm buying cases. This is gonna get banned faster than a frat guy can chug a FourLoko. So many college kids are gonna die.
View Quote

Great minds think alike

ETA: even if it doesn't get banninated, I'll still be having a great time
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Great minds think alike

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So in.

Great minds think alike

In as 3.

I told my fiance` the same thing. The day it hits and is proven real, I am going to buy the fuck out of it, before it is banned.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a little different.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#27]
WTF we can have this but not a MG.......

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Will you be drinking, smoking, or snorting your alcohol tonight sir?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#30]
WTF?

Alcohol is a liquid. The article makes me wonder if it should have been released 18 days earlier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I've seen this stuff before. Don't ask me where, but I know it's existed for a while.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
WTF?

Alcohol is a liquid. The article makes me wonder if it should have been released 18 days earlier.
View Quote

I wonder how this works.  Some kind of gel?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've seen this stuff before. Don't ask me where, but I know it's existed for a while.
View Quote

Yep, I had some powdered screwdriver cans back in the 1980's.....Company was called Sure Shot if I remember correctly.  They sucked and didn't do well.  I might still have a can stuffed back in the attic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

It's called Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sounds like BS

Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.
View Quote

It's true. Alcohol can be aborbed into certain sugars. I don't think it's like a hydrate, so the alc should be released when the sugar is dissolved. It might need to be kept in protective packaging to exclude moisture.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Wiki indicates it is alcohol "encapsulated" in sugar. Contact with water gets rid of the sugar and thus frees the alcohol.

I'd like to hear an actual chemists explanation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#37]
From the Palcohol website:

1. Who created it? Mark Phillips. Click on the link above for information about Mark.

2. Why? Mark is an active guy...hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don't lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#38]
a whole new version of the cinnamon challenge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Hookers And Blow Powdered Whiskey.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1. Who created it? Mark Phillips. Click on the link above for information about Mark.

2. Why? Mark is an active guy...hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don't lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.
View Quote

Since the weight of the alcohol is the same (more, with the encapsulating powder), what weight is this saving?  The bottle?

Plastic flask of PGA FTW!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wiki indicates it is alcohol "encapsulated" in sugar. Contact with water gets rid of the sugar and thus frees the alcohol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Certainly doable.

What you have is a crystalline (solid) material that has a molecular "pocket" within it with functional groups facing inward to that pocket so that they can hold a molecule of ethanol in that space.  The ethanol doesn't bond to the carrier molecule, it simply coordinates to it via weak intermolecular interactions.  If you're familiar with the process by which detergent molecules coordinate around otherwise hydrophobic molecules and then allow them to be carried away by water, its a similar kind of idea.  Since the crystalline "cage" molecule is much larger than the EtOH molecule it traps, the overall coordination complex is still a solid material at standard conditions, thus a powder.

Upon dissolving the powder in water, the crystalline cage, which is a multi unit sugar and water soluble, dissolves and frees the EtOH molecule into the liquid.

One drawback to this idea I can see is that it won't be for the calorie conscius.  There is probably a lot of "sugar" molecule present per molecule of EtOH.

ETA: Reading that wiki article above, looks like tert-Amyl alcohol might be more effective at binding to the carrier sugar than ethanol, so this stuff might use that.  It has more potent inebriation effects so it seems compared to ethanol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Certainly doable.

What you have is a crystalline (solid) material that has a molecular "pocket" within it with functional groups facing inward to that pocket so that they can hold a molecule of ethanol in that space.  The ethanol doesn't bond to the carrier molecule, it simply coordinates to it via weak intermolecular interactions.  If you're familiar with the process by which detergent molecules coordinate around otherwise hydrophobic molecules and then allow them to be carried away by water, its a similar kind of idea.  Since the crystalline "cage" molecule is much larger than the EtOH molecule it traps, the overall coordination complex is still a solid material at standard conditions, thus a powder.

Upon dissolving the powder in water, the crystalline cage, which is a multi unit sugar and water soluble, dissolves and frees the EtOH molecule into the liquid.

One drawback to this idea I can see is that it won't be for the calorie conscience.  There is probably a lot of "sugar" molecule present per molecule of EtOH.

ETA: Reading that wiki article above, looks like tert-Amyl alcohol might be more effective at binding to the carrier sugar than ethanol, so this stuff might use that.  It has more potent inebriation effects so it seems compared to ethanol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Certainly doable.

One drawback to this idea I can see is that it won't be for the calorie conscience.  There is probably a lot of "sugar" molecule present per molecule of EtOH.

I don't know if I got dumber or smarter....
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my only concern, I mean now they won't even have to go out to the car at lunch to fill your pop bottle with booze to make it through the day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
A fine substitute for coffee sweetener I would say.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Since the weight of the alcohol is the same (more, with the encapsulating powder), what weight is this saving?  The bottle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The water.

Ultralight backpackers filter water onsite.  

Also falvoring and sweetener could be included in this powder mix.  Its not so much the idea of add water, get PGA, but rather, add water and have a complete cocktail.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Certainly doable.

One drawback to this idea I can see is that it won't be for the calorie conscius.  There is probably a lot of "sugar" molecule present per molecule of EtOH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Certainly doable.

Much thanks, I now have a vague grasp of the magic involved.

Agreed on the sugar thing. As a mead brewer I have to use a minimum of two parts of sugar for ever part of alcohol I expect to get. The pre-brewing must (sugar/water mix) is VERY sweet and sugar filled as a drink. By your explanation it sounds like easily more than double the mass of alcohol in sugar is required for this powder... At any useful alcohol concentration that is a lot of sugar in a drink.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Much thanks, I now have a vague grasp of the magic involved.

Agreed on the sugar thing. As a mead brewer I have to use a minimum of two parts of sugar for ever part of alcohol I expect to get. The pre-brewing must (sugar/water mix) is VERY sweet and sugar filled as a drink. By your explanation it sounds like easily more than double the mass of sugar to alcohol is required for this powder... That is a lot of sugar in a drink.
View Quote

That wiki article said they get at best about 60% absorption of alcohol to sugar by weight, so for every 3 parts alcohol you'd have 5 parts sugar to process.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if they had some that could be used for stove fuel...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#49]
i'll eat em like pixie sticks
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#50]
How long until someone goes to jail for having open packets of powdered alcohol in the front seat of their car?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top