BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dumb question, but can the RWD mowers be backed up? Landscaping in yard dictates the ability to do that.
View Quote
yeah, the have reverse and everything... or you let go of the lever and pull.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ransomes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Dumb question, but can the RWD mowers be backed up? Landscaping in yard dictates the ability to do that.
View Quote
Yes. Just let go of the drive lever.

As far as power, it had no problem mulching 4" tall weeds and grass when I had to give up mowing for a few weeks because of a sprained ankle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess what I read that said reversing was bad when someone didn't let off the  drive lever.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is no longer relevant to my interests. I just dropped $700 on a Honda HRX217HYA yesterday to replace a rusted out Toro. Keep in mind that the higher $$ Hondas have a 5-year warranty vs 3 on the cheaper ones, and Honda is offering an extra year factory warranty on top of that if you buy by May 31st.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a Honda 3 years ago and it is the best money I have spent on a mower. It is the adjustable speed, rear wheel drive model. It will crawl along or haul ass. The first time I used it, I didn't bag it but used the mulch option. I was cutting about 3 inches off and you couldn't tell I wasn't using the bagger. The quad cut system it great, just make sure to keep the blades sharp and balanced. But that goes with any mower.
Buy a Honda and you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies all. I've got a Honda in the garage, looks like I'll put one in the shed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda gets my vote if you can swallow the upfront payment.

If not, save a hundred (or more depending on which one you get) and get a Toro

Quoted:
Quoted:
I broke down and bought a Honda.   By far, the best mower I've ever owned.

ETA...l wanted a fast mower.   I almost have to run to keep up with it.

This. It sets you back around 7-800 but it will last forever.

Negative.  Home Depot sells a Honda for $399 all day.
Yep. That's the one I have. Best mower I've ever used.    
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Self-Propelled-Gas-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643/

Does the 160cc engine have enough grunt?  

I asked the same question.   The answer is that Honda engines have the torque of larger competitor engines.   The Honda I bought has a smaller engine than my old mower, but handles tall grass a whole lot better.  Plus, its a lot lighter and a whole lot faster.  Plus, the damn thing just runs great.  

I really stuggled with spending the extra money,  but am really glad that I did.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Toro PT21.  Kawasaki motor.  Fantastic mower.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the higher end Honda from Home Depot with the plastic deck....I have been through 4 mowers in the last 10 years (2 Toros, and 2 Craftsmen).....this thing is pure awesome...starts on the first pull every time.....and cuts through my thick Florida St. Augustine grass like a hot knife through butter...all my other mowers had issues and would bog down if the grass got too long...not this thing...very highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
This topic is in my wheel house and it doesn't matter to me what brand you go with but the power must be from Honda
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Honda best $500 I ever spent
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I just used my brand new Honda today  I specifically didn't want a self propelled model but wanted one with a bagger, the only model that fits the bill was this one http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrr216pka

Got it from MaxTool for $389 SHIPPED, that's a steal

http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/HRR216PKA.asp?CAWELAID=230005740000000078&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CK-j8qCv8L0CFcyhOgodgF4AfA

Took about 15 minutes to put the bagger onto the frame, those clips are tricky, but added the oil, gas, made sure the fuel cut off valve was set to open, and it fired up on the first pull!

The bag can be attached and reattached to the mower in about 4 seconds and there's an option to use it in mulching mode

Can't wait to mow the yard again

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for the Honda, best one I've ever owned too.

Honda.

Go with the Honda. You won't be sorry and you'll make up the money it cost by it lasting forever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
How are the Newer Honda mowers with sucking up leaves in the fall?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
In the market for a new mower, stumbled upon this thread, and very curious about this as well.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In the market for a new mower, stumbled upon this thread, and very curious about this as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the $400 Honda from Home Depot and call it a day. Trust me.. Best mower I've ever owned.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would really like to have a Honda, but spending over $500 for one is just not an option I'm afraid.
View Quote

The one I got is $499 at home depot.  They matched the harbor freight coupon so it was 399.  It has self charging electric start.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#20]
How does the Harbor Freight coupon work?  Does HF even sell Honda mowers?
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Honda.

I bought three different models from Lowes and Home Depot two years ago and they all mechanically failed. Stupid emissions bullshit.

I paid $50 more for the Honda self propelled for a small piece of business property and it works every time on the first pull.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Troy Bilt with Honda engine.
View Quote

Just bought one. I've only had the chance to use it 4 times but happy so far.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Forget a thread about it....

We should have a MOWER FORUM!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Husq 4wd with 390cc Honda mower. Didn't think I would need the 4wd but it doesn't tare my lawn up like the 2wd can and on the slopes or uneven ground it works extremely well.

It was also HALF THE PRICE of the Honda mowers people are listing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Craftsman powered by Honda.

$299
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Bought a self-propelled Honda two years ago.

Last year it was in on warranty repairs twice due to the self-propelled function crapping out.

The engine is rock-solid on it though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was in a tractor supply this week, they had their house brand mowers (Huskee, I think). Most of their house line of mowers had no name Chinese engines, but they had one model with a Honda engine, and was self propelled and high wheeled for $249. I have a riding mower that works great, but have a few spots in the yard where the rider doesn't work and it is a bit much for a line trimmer, so I keep a push mower.

I am not going to spend $500 on what pretty much comes to a limited use specialty tool, but at $250 the Tractor Supply Brand mower powered by Honda seems attractive. Any input on these mowers? At that price if I only get five or six years out of it I would be happy.
View Quote

For $250 you can get a Troy with a real Honda engine at Lowes, plus get 10% off.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Yet another +1 for Honda. Bought their HRX217K4VLA at Home Depot, got the extra 1-year of warranty on it. Lifetime warranty on their composite deck. Cut my mow-time in half. Starts first pull every time. LOVE it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#30]
We bought ours at a local shop, got the 5 year warranty and free yearly blade sharpening.

worth every penny.

Toro 21" Recycler with a Honda 160cc motor.

link

why a local place instead of home depot?   Warranty and supporting local business.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
My Honda HR 215 is still kickin' ass after all these years
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a used craftsman mower with a honda engine 7 years ago on craigslist.  That thing is awesome.  I love it.  

It fires up every spring with a half a pull.  Its the best mower ive ever owned.  I will only own honda engines from now on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honda has the best mulching with the dual blade they call the Quadra-cut system.  I have had my Honda for about 5 years and have never once felt the need to bag my grass or leaves in the Fall.  The dual blades chop stuff up so fine you will not even notice it was cut.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I would steer clear of husq models at lowes. seem like pieces of shit. not a lot of love for troy built round here, but  I have a troy built tb320 that is rock solid. I love the single lever level adjustment.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top