Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:16:16 AM EDT
Not trying to stir things up, I've always wondered this. Jesus was persecuted by the Romans right? Pontius Pilate decided his fate, so why do they say Jesus died for our sins when the decision wasn't his?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
He was sinless and therefore not subject to death which are the wages of sin.  He, being divine could have called legions of Angles to protect him.  Yes Pilate ordered him executed but Jesus went willingly to his fate.  By being falsely accused, convicted, sentenced and executed, he trumps Death and is able to offer redemption to all who will accept it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the whole reason he was born was to die?  I dunno.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
He could have called a legion of angels to save himself.  He sacrificed perfectly for our imperfection.  We are very undeserving.  Grace is wonderful, something we should all try give more often than we do.

Edit Fugitive for the win....sounds like a horse race doesn't it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Because Jesus did not eat a forbidden fruit, but you did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not try to understand with reason into a story that requires faith to believe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
He knew his fate when he went into Jerusalem.   No one killed Jesus, they simply couldn't,  but by his grace he did what he did for us.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He could have called a legion of angels to save himself.  He sacrificed perfectly for our imperfection.  We are very undeserving.  Grace is wonderful, something we should all try give more often than we do.
View Quote

All of this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]

14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

John 10
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
These kinds of religious questions strike me as unhelpful. I mean, how can you do something to god against his will? Can an immortal god even die? or stay dead? Best bet is don't overthink it and take it on faith.

eta Happy Easter everyone
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The whole Bible, up until the time of Jesus himself speaks of a great one who will come and save humanity. The life, death, and resurrection of Christ is the fulfilment of that prophecy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#12]
It was His purpose all along to die for our sins.  It is our purpose to accept His gift and to serve Him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#13]
infinite God, infinite death so those born thousands of years later have had their sins paid for as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
*The following is from an objective point of view and meant as respectfully as possible*

Because if you believe the scriptures and Jesus really was the Son of God, at any point He could have called on his Father and unleashed the wrath of the Heavens on His persecutors. He had the ultimate choice in the matter and made it according to what was best for His people.

Happy Easter all.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
These kinds of religious questions strike me as unhelpful. I mean, how can you do something to god against his will? Can an immortal god even die? or stay dead? Best bet is don't overthink it and take it on faith.

eta Happy Easter everyone
View Quote

He can do whatever he wants to do.  And he didn't die and stay dead, he was resurrected three days later.  "Tear down the temple of God and I will rebuild it in 3 days."  Or something close to that

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not trying to stir things up, I've always wondered this. Jesus was persecuted by the Romans right? Pontius Pilate decided his fate, so why do they say Jesus died for our sins when the decision wasn't his?
View Quote

Ok...totally unrelated to the post...but  I love your Avatar. Combines two of my favorite hobbies.

PS - don't have an answer to your question sorry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
All those Apostles and not one could mount a rescue attempt?

"Common JC, I got a getaway car! let's blow this Roman popsicle stand and head for Babylon!

Happy Easter
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Sin is genetic. From one man sin, so the entire race does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#19]
John 3:16

"For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

3:17

"For  God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved"
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, Christ's will was done that day in perfect obedience to his Father's will.

If OP wants something more fleshy, Pilot made his judgement under the threat of rioting from the Jews of that time & place up to and including a cooperation between the Sanhedrin and the Herodians who normally detested one another.  I dare say all the other peoples on earth would have been even faster to kill the Lamb than they, or even worse ignore Him.  That tale of folly ends with the complete destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman Empire in 70 AD.

There's a fascinating history that ties into the mysteries of the faith, I highly recommend reading up on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you are seriously asking, I will explain.

The Bible says that Jesus' death and resurrection was planned by God before the foundation of the earth.  He had to pay for our sins, as we had no way to pay for them ourselves.

But make no mistake........Jesus was in total control, not the Romans, and not the Jews.  He was in total control and did what He did to pay for the sins of those that would trust Him.

That's why He said, just before He died, "It is all finished".  He had completed His task.

Happy Easter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible says that Jesus' death and resurrection was planned by God before the foundation of the earth.  He had to pay for our sins, as we had no way to pay for them ourselves.

But make no mistake........Jesus was in total control, not the Romans, and not the Jews.  He was in total control and did what He did to pay for the sins of those that would trust Him.

That's why He said, just before He died, "It is all finished".  He had completed His task.

Happy Easter.

But why does the system work that way, i.e. that we must pay for our sins before we are granted access to heaven?

God could have designed it however he wanted... no?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the whole reason he was born was to die?  I dunno.
View Quote

Don't they say the same about Marines? Was Jesus the original?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All those Apostles and not one could mount a rescue attempt?

"Common JC, I got a getaway car! let's blow this Roman popsicle stand and head for Babylon!

Happy Easter
View Quote

Peter cut off a Roman soldier's ear in the Garden ofg Gethsemanie and Jesus rebuked him.  He didn't want rescued.  It was his mission to die for us.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#24]
The bible is a fictional story, the Star Wars of the Dark ages.  All the religions were created to make people feel better about the life they don't understand.  Just believe the parts that will make you feel better.

And don't forget to donate to the church.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

Yup
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#27]
And the whistle grows louder...        
Quoted:

The bible is a fictional story, the Star Wars of the Dark ages.  All the religions were created to make people feel better about the life they don't understand.  Just believe the parts that will make you feel better.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]
People used to offer sacrifices to God  whether it was animal or food to atone for their sins and to show devotion to God. Jesus sacrificed himself so that man would never have to sacrifice again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But why does the system work that way, i.e. that we must pay for our sins before we are granted access to heaven?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

a baby sitter with a dui would have a harder time giving your child a ride, a welder with a felony would have a harder time getting govt clearance, a convict would have a harder time getting a job at a convenience store. Getting into Heaven pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#30]
If we are born into sin, do young children who die, whom have never been able to ask for the saviors redemption go to hell?        
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just a slight correction.....We cannot pay for our sins.  Only Jesus can pay that price, and He did so, if we will accept His gift.

And God designed it just the way He wanted the system to work.  And He is Perfect and without any error. It could not have been designed any "better".

Jesus' sacrifice is a perfect demonstration for God's love for an undeserving mankind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

Just a slight correction.....We cannot pay for our sins.  Only Jesus can pay that price, and He did so, if we will accept His gift.

And God designed it just the way He wanted the system to work.  And He is Perfect and without any error. It could not have been designed any "better".

Jesus' sacrifice is a perfect demonstration for God's love for an undeserving mankind.

I didn't say we could pay for our sins.

Your middle sentence contains no substance.

I asked "why?" and you said "because."  

That's faith, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People used to offer sacrifices to God  whether it was animal or food to atone for their sins and to show devotion to God. Jesus sacrificed himself so that man would never have to sacrifice again.
View Quote

Yes.  Think of the sacrifices as interest paid on a loan.  The sacrifices didn't cleanse the sin, merely showed earnest regret for sin.  Salvation comes form belief in Jesus and acceptance of sacrifice.  Even the Ancient Jews believed in a Messiah and looked forward to his coming.  They were so wrapped up in their traditions that they were asleep at the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

I'm pretty sure the sin he supposedly died for was the original sin, not the I checked out my neighbor's wife's ass today sin.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#34]
HAPPY EASTER to all those who are followers of the teachings of Christ.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I am truly sorry for your hurting.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, you see, God being all full of wrath back then was about to wipe us out again.

Jesus was sent to try to talk some sense back into us.

Jesus gave his life to save us. Hence, he died for our sins.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I always thought that it had to do with original sin, Adam and Eve. Baptism etc. Before Jesus there was no way to be absolved of original sin and therefore go to heaven even if you had lived an impeccable and Holy life worshiping God as a faithful Jew.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the sin he supposedly died for was the original sin, not the I checked out my neighbor's wife's ass today sin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy Easter.

Justify your statement.  What makes you sure?  I don't read it that way in the historical book that talks about it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Justify your statement.  What makes you sure?  I don't read it that way in the historical book that talks about it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy Easter.

That's uh, cool?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I had another long explanation typed out and decided I was tired of throwing pearls before swine.  
 Happy Easter to my Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He was sinless and therefore not subject to death which are the wages of sin.  He, being divine could have called legions of Angles to protect him.  Yes Pilate ordered him executed but Jesus went willingly to his fate.  By being falsely accused, convicted, sentenced and executed, he trumps Death and is able to offer redemption to all who will accept it.
View Quote

This. But I will add that Jesus purpose of coming to earth was to die on the cross. He knew the whole time it was going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not trying to stir things up
, I've always wondered this. Jesus was persecuted by the Romans right? Pontius Pilate decided his fate, so why do they say Jesus died for our sins when the decision wasn't his?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#45]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about Roman Catholic doctrine, but Protestants believe Jesus paid for ALL sins, not just original sin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure about Roman Catholic doctrine, but Protestants believe Jesus paid for ALL sins, not just original sin.

IIRC jews don't have a concept of original sin.

jesus was a jew.

what gives?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed he did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah well, I could be wrong. Most of the stuff I see on the interwebs mentions Adam/Eve/Death specifically.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If we are born into sin, do young children who die, whom have never been able to ask for the saviors redemption go to hell?        

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Neither do those born with special needs. Animals pay for our sins daily since we got kicked out of the garden so they get a pass also.

us wise-asses we need the grace.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Happy Easter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy Easter.

Slight quibble brother - Jesus asked the Father that this cup be passed, but not that His will be done but that the Father's will be done.

Did Jesus have a choice?
ETA: Oh, and Happy Easter to you too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top