Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2014 6:21:11 AM EDT
We need some new ones

Anyone have an suggestions on best for the money? Looking at them, it seems the sets come with a bunch of crap we wouldn't use and it would be cheaper to just by them individually.

What brand is arfcom approved?

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
All-Clad is always a safe choice. I have the Copper-Core line, but if I was doing it over again I'd get the plain aluminum line, as they are almost as good and are far lighter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had my Calphalon set for 12+ years. Just don't run them thru the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Emeril signature All Clad stainless/copper. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Going on 10 years with Calphalon, no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had my Calphalon set for 12+ years. Just don't run them thru the dishwasher.
View Quote
I was given a set of Calphalon over 20 years ago, they are still our daily use pots and pans.

Well worth the money.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Revereware from the '80's. Still going strong and run through the dishwasher.

I have heard their quality now isn't like it used to be
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
We've always used Farberware which I think is stainless steel with aluminum clad bottoms.  It's treated us well.  We put it in the dishwasher all the time.  We do supplement that set with Teflon coated frying pans which are pretty much a disposable item IMO.  As far as buying separately, we bought our set at an outlet mall kitchen store.  I think you will do better buying a set all in one box.  My only complaint about Farberware is that the hardware - handles & fasteners seem to come loose and are hard to keep tight once they loosen up.  I used blue locktite and that helps.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#10]
the $7 ones i got from Big Lots 3 years ago
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Just had to buy a bunch of stuff with the divorce and move
Cookware is one of those thing where the sky is the limit.
The ex loved to cook and would pick up pots and pans that ran $100 or more  a pop.
The other end of the spectrum is your walmart stuff that runs only a few bucks for an entire set
I went with the Anolon stuff at our local Bonton and bought only those pieces that I thought I needed to get by initially.
Like the tools I am also replacing, I figure I'll add to the collection as a need presents itself

edit: if you have an outlet mall near you with a store for the big cookware companies, they can run some decent specials from time to time if you watch closely
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We need some new ones

Anyone have an suggestions on best for the money? Looking at them, it seems the sets come with a bunch of crap we wouldn't use and it would be cheaper to just by them individually.

Thanks

View Quote
Find your local restaurant supply store. Buy commercial cookware. It's professional quality and you don't pay 'Suzy Homemaker' to put her name on it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an old set, must be from the 60s or 70s from my grandma, it rocks. Made in china now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Just get the best pans/pots individually for the things you cook. No need to be all matchy-matchy.

I would get at least a couple carbon steel DeBuyer/Eurodib frying pans and then do some commercial restaurant grade stainless pots and pans in whatever sizes were needed from a kitchen/restaurant/foodservice supply company.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

We've got a set of these, I wish I had bought more.

And if you buy stainless Bar Keepers Friend (Menards and Bed Bath and Beyond) is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been using an Analon set for almost five years. They are pricey but they are built to last.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a knock version you can get if you know anyone who does Pampered Chef. My wife was in some sort of group, got a discount. The whole set for less than $100. Actually we both had a set before we got married.

Damn good pans. I need to see if the make a bigger skillet.

I bought a big Vollrath from a restaurant supply, and while the non-stick works fine, it does not heat evenly on an electric stove.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out Sitram.  Not as pretty as All-Clad but great bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen ranked All-Clad pretty high.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Find your local restaurant supply store. Buy commercial cookware. It's professional quality and you don't pay 'Suzy Homemaker' to put her name on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need some new ones

Thanks

This is for a wedding registry. If we don't get them, we will certainly do this. My bride organizes the Top Chef Texas Contest she has access to all the good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Calphalon here for 15+ years and like sel366 said, no not put into the dishwasher.  Great for stove top to oven
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I have had a set of Emerilware for 8 years and it is still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need some new ones

Thanks

Yep. Also, just because they are pricey, doesn't mean they are good. Think thick and heavy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

All-Clad are good, LeCreuset are great, and for non-stick, ScanPan are amazing.
View Quote

We run mostly All-Clad. We'll probably try ScanPan when we have to replace one of our nonsticks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My mother had Revereware when we were growing up. I still harbor absolute disdain for them. My brother an I washed the dishes and they were the hardest pans to clean ever. My brother ruined the 12" skillet with some kind of acid trying to get off stuck on food. We still give my mother shit for those terrible contraptions 20 years later. It soured me on SS pans so bad I have never in my life bought one.

Cast Iron FTW!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
For frying pans you cannot go wrong with the Baker's and Chef stuff from Sams.  Probably their best deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I agree with the get them from a restaurant supply house post. Get an all stainless steel model, the pots you use, and a model with a clad bottom. The better ones have riveted on hollow stainless steel handles that don't get real hot. You want stainless steel as it does not react with high acid foods and won't get ate up by the dishwasher soaps like aluminum.

We have a Revere Ware set from the 50's that is still going strong along with some cast iron.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree with the get them from a restaurant supply house post. Get an all stainless steel model, the pots you use, and a model with a clad bottom. The better ones have riveted on hollow stainless steel handles that don't get real hot. You want stainless steel as it does not react with high acid foods and won't get ate up by the dishwasher soaps like aluminum.

We have a Revere Ware set from the 50's that is still going strong along with some cast iron.
View Quote

This.

ETA:  F-Non-stick.....unless you like the cancer
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I was given a set of Revere Ware stainless as a gift over twenty-three years ago and they are all still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Cast Iron for the serious cook.  But you need to be dedicated, and willing to lift some heavy pots and pans.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Swiss diamond pans

These are the best pans I have.  Cook evenly, easy to clean, heavy, well designed and well built.
I use them EVERY DAY and the other thing I use almost every day is a big heavy cast iron skillet.   Fantastic for meats, sear it off, toss it in the oven to finish.  

You should just buy the pans that you use for the style that you cook,   The sets are always stupid.  You end up with 3 things you use and 10 things you don't even know where they are, much less actually use .

don't put them in the dishwasher no matter what you buy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Whatever you decide do Not buy a set, buy what you need and will use and don't forget a couple of cast iron skillets, just ask patchouli.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We need some new ones

Thanks

This is pretty much the way to go.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#35]
We've been using a Cuisinart set for some time now. They work great. We use those in addition to a cast iron skillet, tagine, and a Le Creuset casserole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

good way to go but SS is pretty much the worst conductor of heat so they take a while to heat up compared to alum or copper clad stuff.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whatever you decide do Not buy a set, buy what you need and will use and don't forget a couple of cast iron skillets, just ask patchouli.
View Quote

If starting from scratch I'd say buy the set as it is heavily discounted. If you already have a few pieces you like then individually would probably be best. I find when cooking a large meal, especially for a holiday, having all those extra pans comes in very handy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All-Clad is always a safe choice. I have the Copper-Core line, but if I was doing it over again I'd get the plain aluminum line, as they are almost as good and are far lighter.
View Quote

This - and nothing else.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Actually, there are several options for non-stick pots and pans that are made without PTFE or PFOA.
http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows/green-home/9-non-toxic-cookware-brands-safe-and-healthy-home-cooking/
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#40]
My Mom still uses her Revereware set that she got as a wedding present in 1948. I have replaced a few handles for her over the my lifetime, but they still look and cook great. For those of you in Texas, First Monday Trade Days in Canton is the go to place. Go out into the trees to the left of the sheds where all the oldtimers are, in the old original part of the event.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need some new ones

Thanks

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#42]
You might check out an overstock store or somesuch. The local TJ Max almost always has Calphalon and All-Clad, at very accessible prices
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is for a wedding registry. If we don't get them, we will certainly do this. My bride organizes the Top Chef Texas Contest she has access to all the good stuff.
View Quote

Why not just not put them on the wedding registry then?

I wanted a set of tri-ply since I have an electric range and tried to avoid buying a set made in China, but the only options you have with that criteria is All-Clad, or Calphalon-One (both will come in at 5-700$ for a set).

I didn't want to spend that much, so I bought this set from Amazon. IMO, best combination of quality for price if you've made the decision that Chinese made is OK.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup

And I also have a bunch of restaurant grade stuff that I use all the time. It sucks having great tools to use for cooking but a shitty gas stove/oven. But I plan on upgrading that soon.

Also as others said don't buy a whole set as there will be a lot of ones you won't use unless you cook a lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#45]
All Clad! Buy once........
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Surprisingly enough...Pampered Chef Stainless steel is really good. We have several pieces of it.

But yeah...All-Clad stainless is very good.

A heavy stainless steel set will last you pretty much forever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#47]
All-Clad stainless here...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#48]
You will never regret buying All-Clad.

You can acquire them a piece at a time on sale.

If you have a TJ Maxx store nearby, they sometimes

have a piece or two; I believe they may be cosmetic seconds.

I use my All-clad pots and pans every day. Glad I have them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Swmbo and I cook a bunch.  Bought a Calphalon set about 20 years ago...noted anodize was getting thin on 2 sauce pans and a couple of stock pots (we cook/can with a ton of homegrown tomatoes).  Sent the old ones back to Calphalon, got new ones back in 2 weeks or so.  No complaints, and as was posted above, they're great for stove to oven recipes.

-hanko
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#50]
All clad stainless.  I went with the 5 layer for my big saute pan / lid and 3 layer for a cassoulet / lid and saucier.  The only other pan I use regularly is a cast iron skillet when I need super high temperature searing.

ETA:  Also have a no-name enameled cast iron dutch oven and some pyrex.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top