Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Only when sighting in. Unless it is my 15-22, it only has irons.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Most all the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I only use irons on my AR
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
6 Right

3 Up

Service Rifle Iron Sights
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The ones shoot the most

S&W 460 iron
Chinese M53 iron
Mini Draco iron
10/22 target 36x
State Arms .50 20x
M82A1 CQ iron

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't even have irons on my ars any more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This is way cool! What is it? Where can I get it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I own precisely one firearm with an optic on it. Everything else in the safe wears irons.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I only have two guns with optics out of dozens.

I need to step my optics game up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just grabbed an image that showed how I used my rifles

But, yeah, it looks like a pretty cool game. Looked it up but haven't downloaded it.

http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload/NRA-High-Power-Competition-Download-39751.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Every range trip.  A few hundred rounds through optics, then the flip up sights.

I routinely shoot with irons at 300+ yards/meters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I use them rarely and only on a few long guns and all pistols.
My AR's have cheap glass with thick cross hairs, My half blind ass cant see with bifocals so irons are almost useless to me.
When using iron sights I can see either the target or the sights not both at same time.

I have yet to try red dot sights.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I tend to use them about 50% of the time
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I bookmarked it and will look into it further. I also shoot highpower, XTC, midrange and longrange. Maybe see you at Perry this year!

BTW with regard to the op's question, I shoot both scopes and irons, but mostly irons. I don't have any dot sights but I guess maybe I should.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
All my ARs were A1s, so always. I'm old school.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most all the time.
View Quote

Two AR's with irons.  One scoped.

Four scoped bolt actions
20 milsurps with irons.

I guess I shoot irons most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Every time I shoot it. Got no use for Dot sights and such.  Mine don't break down.

EBR666
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Almost always. If I can still hit with iron sights I'll continue to do so. Vision is something that doesn't last forever and I would like to enjoy it while I can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have found myself using optics as much as irons in the last couple of years. I'm over 40 years old now and my eyes aren't what they once were. Some magnification really helps. Peep sights are still ok, but blade and groove sights are getting to be a challenge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#20]
all irons, all the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Everything I have is scoped, but everything with irons and quick detach mounts the scope gets taken off and I shoot with irons some every time I take them out. I learned with a scope and I've always struggled with irons, so it keeps me in practice and it also tests how well whatever mount I'm using returns to zero.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#22]
The majority of the time. I "got both" when a buddy gave me an aimpoint.

This is now my home defense rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#23]

I thought I was the only one who had an of those "goofy" 25mm (in my case) ammo "cans".  Seemed cool when they were laying around, but they didn't turn out to have as much utility as I though they would.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#24]
My serious rifles are iron sight only. play rifles have red dots and  a  only a couple of my hunting rifles have scopes, most have Williams 5Ds on them
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I cant remember the last time I shot during daylight, so no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Then you are missing out on a lot of fun.  Black powder shooting is awesome.  Pull the trigger.  World disappears in a cloud of white smoke.  Duck and check results.  Makes you a much better rifleman too.  On flintlock there is on average a 1/2 second delay between trigger pull and ignition.  With percussion caps it drops to about .2 seconds.  If you flinch you are screwed. I have a lot of respect for those who can shoot black powder well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. I don't shoot black powder either...

Then you are missing out on a lot of fun.  Black powder shooting is awesome.  Pull the trigger.  World disappears in a cloud of white smoke.  Duck and check results.  Makes you a much better rifleman too.  On flintlock there is on average a 1/2 second delay between trigger pull and ignition.  With percussion caps it drops to about .2 seconds.  If you flinch you are screwed. I have a lot of respect for those who can shoot black powder well.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope. I don't shoot black powder either...

A properly loaded flinter with a decent lock will be very nearly as fast as a cap lock, both of which are well below .2 seconds lock time.

Not as quick as an inline (which nobody but an unwashed heathen would use, anyway)

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dats sexy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dats sexy

Quoted:

Thanks, y'all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top