Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen here and online it looks to me like the last time "militia" was of any real use was 1861-65.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a Colonel in my militia. They call me Colonel Angus, kind of a tongue twister but I'm pretty popular nonetheless.
View Quote

I see what you did there
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with getting together with like minded individuals.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The basic idea behind it is a good one but word itself has been tarnished.
View Quote

Agreed.  Say looters come into your area and law enforcement is concentrated about civic buildings. You're on your own.  That's when you need your neighborhood to rally in its own defense.  Read about it in FerFal's book, Surviving the Economic Collapse.  FerFal mentioned the contraction of police patrols and thus the necessity of being self-reliant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a Colonel in my militia. They call me Colonel Angus, kind of a tongue twister but I'm pretty popular nonetheless.
View Quote

Better than Colonel Gentleman

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What you did there... I see it
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I started a "militia" for the sole purpose of keeping an eye on the local FBI and ATF guys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I command an elite group of basement dwellers in our area. Mom said I was in charge.

I have no problem with people getting together to discuss strategy and survival encase an economic or natural disaster. I have no issue with people being prepared. I have no issue if someone wants to step up to be a leader, but when there starts to be "ranks" I have an issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I started a "militia" for the sole purpose of keeping an eye on the local FBI and ATF guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.automizeit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/guinness-brilliant.jpeg

If I ever get desperate and decide to rob a bank and then burn it down, I'll just call a meeting, and then tell them I'll "be a little late".
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's actually not a bad idea. A bit like trolling an anti-FedGov article through GD to find those on the Fed payroll...

I actually approve of volunteer militia. As envisioned by the Founders. Elected Officers and working directly with the Sheriff and Governor.

No self-appointed Brigadier Major Leutenant Generals...

You might be fat, stupid, weak, or deluded... But when it comes to making a commitment for the common defense, even you have value.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pointless.

They don't take any political action and they don't take any violent action so basically they're idiots. Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

We've got real threats to freedom 24/7, 365.  You want to help? Get involved in digital liberation or political action to push back against it. You want to play dress up and get media exposure go round the woods bitching about ZOG or whatever the hell they do.

View Quote

That  sounds like most of the members here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The term is overused.

View Quote

just stick with family and good friends. you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's your views on local militias.

Over reactive right wing beard neck nuts or useful "shooting club"/ preppers cosplay.
View Quote

yes/all of the above, nice guys, and fun as hell to get riled up with the idea of  SHTF/zombies/my new one to mess with everyone is peak Sriracha.

speed
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pointless.

They don't take any political action and they don't take any violent action so basically they're idiots. Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

We've got real threats to freedom 24/7, 365.  You want to help? Get involved in digital liberation or political action to push back against it. You want to play dress up and get media exposure go round the woods bitching about ZOG or whatever the hell they do.

but they shoot the shit outa dirt!

speed

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#18]
A local self help organization,  made up of some what serious volunteers, and organized with a functional leadership structure that every one agreed to obey under agreed upon conditions for an agreed upon purpose would not be a bad thing.

For any organization to function its members need to agree to submit to the agreed upon purpose and discipline of the group.

Otherwise its just a clusterfuck. And if the agreed upon purpose is illegitimate, then its a gang.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]
"Militia of One"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I am a member of the Pennsylvania Peoples Milita and currently hold rank of High Commander.  Now you might think that this is a high rank but it is actually the lowest achievable rank.

One might be led to believe that my military experience and the fact that I served in a war would help me achieve a higher rank but my failure to own an Xbox and the fact that I suck at FPS games relegates me to the lowest rank.  

Our current rank structure and responsibilities is as such:

Supreme Ruler - drinks enormous amounts of Pabst Blue Ribbon and always has a story to one up the previously told story
High Ruler - Kisses the Supreme Rulers Ass
General Major Captain - Has all the essential gear and is best for photo ops
Major Captain - Has a lot of gear from the Army/Navy store and has a sweet rifle
Supreme Colonel - Acts like he does a lot of work but really never does anything but tell stories
Colonel Commander - Proof reads newsletter
Captain Major General - Writes newsletter
Captain Major - Brings his own lawn chair, buys beer
Captain - Oversees commanders and brings lawn chairs to meetings
Supreme High Commander - Brass and aluminum recycler
High Commander - Beer runner and brass collector
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
WE ARE ALL THE MILITIA....well, maybe not YOU, fatty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]
A few months ago I saw some Facebook posts attributed to the Arizona Militia.  I started a HTF thread about them, and they showed up and posted.  Some of them call themselves "the Praetorian Guard," their leader calls himself "Colonel Reaper."  They start off their Facebook posts with "FLASH TRAFFIC."  They were very prominent in front of the cameras at the Bundy Grazing Allotment Standoff.  

link

Some of them can be seen wearing rank as low as Captain, so they are a humble bunch.

You might be able to IM the guy who posted in that thread and get him to come setup a recruiting table in this thread.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

What you did there...I see it.  I wish that I hadn't....but I did.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's your views on local militias.

Over reactive right wing beard neck nuts.
View Quote

Pretty much this. That being said I've never even heard of one around here. If there was they would probably be fat red necks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd tried to join....but did not meet their stringent weight requirements.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

We here in PPM Pennsylvania Peoples Militia would call you a skinny minny and would mock you and your size 32 jeans.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We here in PPM Pennsylvania Peoples Militia would call you a skinny minny and would mock you and your size 32 jeans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The good news is that they provided me a copy of acceptable food products to get "up to speed" with the other members in organization.  I have been put on a 15,000 calorie, per hour, diet that consists of stockpiled twinkies, freeze dried butter sticks, and unlimited Dr. Thunder.    

I was told that I may have to tolerate several years of ridicule for my "below average" waistline but with hardcore eating changes, I may one day be accepted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#28]
OP would find what he's looking for at the local grain elevator, although he wouldn't recognize it when he saw it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A local self help organization,  made up of some what serious volunteers, and organized with a functional leadership structure that every one agreed to obey under agreed upon conditions for an agreed upon purpose would not be a bad thing.

For any organization to function its members need to agree to submit to the agreed upon purpose and discipline of the group.

Otherwise its just a clusterfuck. And if the agreed upon purpose is illegitimate, then its a gang.
View Quote

I wish the US had the actual equivalent of the Scandanavian Home Guards, but I know it would end up being a Civil Air Patrol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I started a local militia.  we pride ourselves on providing immediate responses to situations of crises. Infact, we are so efficient i officially changed our name.
we are now officially the ONLY;

Fast
Acting
Response
Team

its like a QRF but faster
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Serious question.  

If militias want to br taken seriously why don't they restart the Civil Defense?  Help out at natural disasters and whatnot.  It would have to be disciplined though, no Colonel General Commodore self appointment bullshit and actually work to help the community.  I would sign up for this.

It would probably still be full of FBI/ATF informants though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#32]
because of the way the term has become politically laden over the last few decades, i would be suspicious of any group of people who identified themselves as a 'militia'.  in MT, we have a group of guys who regularly do volunteer work and so forth.  they're all avid gun guys, mostly veterans, and wouldn't hesitate to act in a militia capacity if it was needed.

if anyone referred to them as a 'militia', they would laugh and tell him to relax.  they refer to themselves as a club of alcohol enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#33]
When I first got into shooting on my own a few years ago and first started going to the local public outdoor range I was out with my AK and in the next lane was 3 guys all dressed tactical with a large shooting mat on the ground shooting AR's mostly and they came over looking at my Saiga AK and got to talking. Turns out they were members of a local militia but I got a really bad vibe from one of them in particular. He was way to radical for me in his views in what he was saying. They really turned me off tbh. If that is what all the militias are like, if things do go to heck, I do not want them in charge any more than those ruining things now,
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#34]
They serve a great purpose of getting mowed down first and letting the rest of us know it's war time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Im an Admiral in the WLF militia...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Local Militia here is a great place to meet with guys from FLETC and Quantico!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The only militia I have ever encountered were THESE fucking morons, and they really thought they were something. A few "Kentucky colonels", each some "special ops" dude who did "top secret" missions that "they can't talk about". Everyone else was a "marine sniper" . Too high speed low drag for me...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
From what I've seen here and online it looks to me like the last time "militia" was of any real use was 1861-65.
View Quote

Spanish American War saw the last large scale use of state militias as major units in US combat forces.  It also saw the last major occurrence of individual militia units being armed by hometown patrons, which led to interoperability issues.  That was one big issue addressed by the National Guard Act when local militias were superseded by stage National Guard in the national military picture.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you mean the National Guard?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I started a local militia.  we pride ourselves on providing immediate responses to situations of crises. Infact, we are so efficient i officially changed our name.
we are now officially the ONLY;

Fast
Acting
Response
Team

its like a QRF but faster
View Quote

Dude!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When I first got into shooting on my own a few years ago and first started going to the local public outdoor range I was out with my AK and in the next lane was 3 guys all dressed tactical with a large shooting mat on the ground shooting AR's mostly and they came over looking at my Saiga AK and got to talking. Turns out they were members of a local militia but I got a really bad vibe from one of them in particular. He was way to radical for me in his views in what he was saying. They really turned me off tbh. If that is what all the militias are like, if things do go to heck, I do not want them in charge any more than those ruining things now,
View Quote

That guy was probably the FBI informant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Metal Militia

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#43]
People in a militia group is fine, people who actually advertise themselves as a militia are the morons who like playing dress up and have a Facebook fan page.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#44]
There was a militia in Arizona that was taken down by the Feds probably about 15 years ago.  The Viper Militia.  Everybody went to prison except one guy, who was really lucky, or something.  The guy who didn't go to prison used to post on Arfcom a lot.  Too bad he's not here anymore to share his experiences with being active with militia guys and not going to prison.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Between your Double Whopper tab, and your Krispy Kreme tab.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS, COLONEL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Usually a bunch of herpy derpy neckbeards calling themselves "colonel".

Militia Rank Structure  V= Volunteer

V1 - Colonel
V2 - Colonel
V3 - Colonel First Class
V4 - Special Colonel

V5 - Buck Colonel
V6 - Staff Colonel
V7 - Colonel First Class (yeah its the same name as the other one, makes for interesting arguments at the microwave line for Hot Pockets and who to blame for Fk ups)
V8 - First Colonel
V9 - Colonel Major / Hoarder of the Nutter Butters and Hot Pockets

I don't see brigadier admiral

Where does chairborne fit in?

Between your Double Whopper tab, and your Krispy Kreme tab.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS, COLONEL.

HAHA
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Militia units are weight based.  

Example if one weights 300 -400 lbs. That is 2 Colonels.
400-550  is 3.66 Colonels.
It is possible to be a one man fireteam. How friggin awesome if that? Think of the trim you will get.

250- 299 is considered a tunnel rat.

150- 200 is considered FBI, ATF, FEMA unless they can prove they are a tweaker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Militia units are weight based.  

Example if one weights 300 -400 lbs. That is 2 Colonels.
400-550  is 3.66 Colonels.
It is possible to be a one man fireteam. How friggin awesome if that? Think of the trim you will get.

250- 299 is considered a tunnel rat.

150- 200 is considered FBI, ATF, FEMA unless they can prove they are a tweaker.

OMG!  That fucking hilarious!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I talk to 30+ guys at the gun counter everyday that would probably fit in perfect in one... and yes, I realise the irony of my user name in this situation...damnit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm Colonial in mine. I should be a Field Martial soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#49]
The ones that call themselves militia tend to be nuttier than a payday bar. The small groups organized more along the lines of a survival group are more varied, ranging from payday bar to normal people with a plan.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

And if the SHTF , you are surrounded by FBI and ATF! Seems like a good plan.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top