Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Not ready. Weak military and weak leader.

Even if we did win we would lose in the long run.  We would send tons of money to rebuild and oil prices would go up even higher.
View Quote

Our military is a lot of things but weak ain't one of them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if we did win we would lose in the long run.  We would send tons of money to rebuild and oil prices would go up even higher.

What good is a strong sharp sword without someone who will wield it?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say that we didn't have weak leadership.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Think about the difference between the WWII generation and this one...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are probably not ready but we weren't ready for WWII either and we made it work.

This generation has been able to sustain decade long operations without resorting to a draft. Think about that for a minute.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Financial warfare will be waged first.  It wouldn't take much to cause a market panic and destroy our currency.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Financial warfare will be waged first.  It wouldn't take much to cause a market panic and destroy our currency.
View Quote

They are already waging that war.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you really think Bush would have been in Russia over this piddly shit, you've lost it. Or never had it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We would push them back to their current borders. FBHO doesn't want war, he will do what he can to avoid it. Its in putins hands now. Bush would have been in Russia kicking ass.

If you really think Bush would have been in Russia over this piddly shit, you've lost it. Or never had it.

He went to Iraq for less. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope not. I just finished setting up my plate carrier and war belt in coyote tan and don't want to have to buy a whole new set up to me cool.
View Quote

OD, brother. Just rub the dirt from your AO on it, and it works everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Guess like we did in vietnam right?

Quoted:

SAM yes.  But their air power is almost a joke.  They don't have enough money to properly train their pilots and maintain their equipment.  We would make short work of their air force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be different to go against a foe with a credible Air to Air and SAM threat. That, and no fucking snackbars.

SAM yes.  But their air power is almost a joke.  They don't have enough money to properly train their pilots and maintain their equipment.  We would make short work of their air force.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the outcome would be very much like the first invasion of Iraq, and Putin knows it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Russian economy is pathetically weak.  If people stop buying their oil/gas all of the big companies run by Putin's KGB buddies and sycophants will struggle, and will have to be propped up by the state, which will have no money.  

The US economy is much, much stronger than the Russian one - just like the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russian economy is pathetically weak.  If people stop buying their oil/gas all of the big companies run by Putin's KGB buddies and sycophants will struggle, and will have to be propped up by the state, which will have no money.  

The US economy is much, much stronger than the Russian one - just like the military.

We work with borrowed money. We had the goose that laid the golden egg, rebuilding the rest of the world with our manufacturing and economic might at the end of WWII, with the exception of the Soviets. We became greedy, and have turned that goose into a monster that is going to bite us in the end. Greed, and lust for power corrupt every society, it is human nature.
The cold war was a 15 round unanimous decision, but the winner took a lot of damage too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Meh.  Too much effort.  Just nuke them.
View Quote

That means we get nuked.
No thanks

My military career had a sharp dividing line pre and post 9/11
Before 9/11 we were training to fight the Russian bear
The current young military guys who only know the sandbox would have to relearn old lessons
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That means we get nuked.
No thanks

The current young military guys who only know the sandbox would have to relearn old lessons
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.  Too much effort.  Just nuke them.

That means we get nuked.
No thanks

True dat. I am a child of the cold war. Time to restock the CD shelters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#15]
You are underestimating our conventional capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#16]
no doubt the US military would kick ass - which would make the russians quickly go NBC...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You are underestimating our conventional capabilities.
View Quote

Actually I am not. We have the numbers and equipment.
I am questioning the training. Not the quality mind you but the subject. We have fought for a decade in a totally different type of conflict. Troops would have to be retrained for heavy maneuver warfare in Europe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Considering that I'm always hearing that Europe doesn't like us and wants us out, I'd suggest that we met them take care of it themselves then.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Considering that I'm always hearing that Europe doesn't like us and wants us out, I'd suggest that we met them take care of it themselves then.
View Quote

If they let us...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree that logistics win wars and we have logistics down to not only a science but an art.
How many armored divisions do we now have anyway? Seems like I read that we only have one. I hope that ain't so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russia is a regional power at best. Their supply lines only run as far as the fuel tank of a Ural truck,from the last filling station before you cross the Russian boarder.

No real NCO corps, still use conscripts, dated equipment.

The Russians shameful performance in Chechnya and Georgia are good examples of their blundering.

I know that Russia pf today is not even comparable to the old Soviet Union but it seems that we may have given up a lot of our expertise in fighting a large scale war,which would include massed armor, for fighting a counterinsurgency conflict. Not that there is anything wrong with that since that is what we have had to deal with over the last decade but it makes me wonder how long it would take to train the tactics needed on the European battlefield to our troops.
I'm not even sure there are enough senior officers now with the training for a conflict in Europe.

Its not like the Russians have this experience either. While Company level officers might be a bit behind the times i am confident our field and General grade officers are educated in large scale armored warfare. A type of warfare I have serious reservations about the. Russians ability to wage.  Most importantly i am confident in the superior logistics ability of our forces. Logistics projected to the other side of the world on 2 fronts is something we have a great deal of experience in. Logistics wins wars.

Putin is bluffing because he knows Obama is weak. Putin will bully and cajole what he can. But he doesn't want war either.

I agree that logistics win wars and we have logistics down to not only a science but an art.
How many armored divisions do we now have anyway? Seems like I read that we only have one. I hope that ain't so.

That is one thing that seems pretty confusing about the naming of US Army divisions.

Take the 3rd Infantry Division for instance... It has 3 Armored BCTs and 1 Infantry BCT, yet it's called an "infantry division".

The 1st ID is the same, I believe.

How many of our "infantry divisions" are actually armored?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
The next "war" won't look like the previous wars in Europe, if the history of warfare in Europe is any guide.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is one thing that seems pretty confusing about the naming of US Army divisions.

Take the 3rd Infantry Division for instance... It has 3 Armored BCTs and 1 Infantry BCT, yet it's called an "infantry division".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russia is a regional power at best. Their supply lines only run as far as the fuel tank of a Ural truck,from the last filling station before you cross the Russian boarder.

No real NCO corps, still use conscripts, dated equipment.

The Russians shameful performance in Chechnya and Georgia are good examples of their blundering.

I know that Russia pf today is not even comparable to the old Soviet Union but it seems that we may have given up a lot of our expertise in fighting a large scale war,which would include massed armor, for fighting a counterinsurgency conflict. Not that there is anything wrong with that since that is what we have had to deal with over the last decade but it makes me wonder how long it would take to train the tactics needed on the European battlefield to our troops.
I'm not even sure there are enough senior officers now with the training for a conflict in Europe.

Its not like the Russians have this experience either. While Company level officers might be a bit behind the times i am confident our field and General grade officers are educated in large scale armored warfare. A type of warfare I have serious reservations about the. Russians ability to wage.  Most importantly i am confident in the superior logistics ability of our forces. Logistics projected to the other side of the world on 2 fronts is something we have a great deal of experience in. Logistics wins wars.

Putin is bluffing because he knows Obama is weak. Putin will bully and cajole what he can. But he doesn't want war either.

I would consider that mechanized infantry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe Barry will FDR his way into a few more terms.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
The skills and organization needed to fight a major conventional war haven't disappeared. We would win; it would be more costly than we've been used to, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most of their tanks rusting in depots don't run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best not retire the A-10 Warthog just yet.....

Most of their tanks rusting in depots don't run.

That must have been why the Georgians didn't have any problems with Russian tanks in 08.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Best not retire the A-10 Warthog just yet.....
View Quote

I totally agree........
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have mechanized infantry in the Armored BCTs, but the Armored BCTs have a tank battalion assigned to them as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/3rd_US_Infantry_Division.png
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Conventionally, we'd hand Russia it's ass.

But it wouldn't stay conventional.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL????????

You can argue the US military might is greater than the entire world's combined. Seriously, that's not really an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are probably not ready but we weren't ready for WWII either and we made it work.

Have you seen movies and read books from the early to mid 20th century? Americans have ALWAYS looked at themselves as being weak and too comfortable. Yet, whenever we have had to answer the bell, we did.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Conventionally, we'd had Russia it's ass.

View Quote

I grew up on SAC bases; I know how to duck and cover. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#32]
We could always ask the cops for our armored vehicles back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#33]
how many Div does the US have in Europe now ready to go?

Russia was able to mobilize a decent amount of troops and armor in under a week and get them to the border with Ukraine
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think the outcome would be very much like the first invasion of Iraq, and Putin knows it.
View Quote
Only if we knew that our anti-missile defense was 100% effective.

Otherwise, I don't think the Russians would allow themselves to be conquered by us without throwing every nuke they had. They'd have the mentality that if they're going down, they're taking everyone with them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Russia was able to mobilize a decent amount of troops and armor in under a week and get them to the border with Ukraine
View Quote

This is another thing I was wondering.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#36]
The main problem in the world is technology. We need a binding resolution from the UN that all nations must return to Medieval warfare. America would be much safer if you had to load sailing ships with foot soldiers to attack us.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#37]
No shooting war until the Russkie's invade Germany.

We would let Putin take over Poland and fuck them yet again.

My guess is a lot of hot air on both sides, and economic tit for tat shit going on back and forth, gas line to Western Europe shut off.

Bottom line NO shots will be fired, no nukes, no chemicals,
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really know the answer to this question either, but I suspect that a lot of the folks who are dismissive of the Russian threat are assuming that a lot of the old cold war assets are still in place, when in actual fact they have been quietly removed or dismantled in the post cold war years.

Having to move a division's worth of equipment and the associated logistical tail all the way to Poland would be a major undertaking which could take months. If the US has to contend with moving multiple divisions ASAP using contested shipping lanes and damaged rail lines, then we're talking about a real nightmare.

Fighters which can operate and survive against modern Russian air defenses exist in very low quantities, and don't have 100% availability. Some are always going to be down for maintenance or be dedicated to training, not to mention inevitable losses. Losing a dozen F22s would hurt.

You guys have some great equipment and great fighting men, but not enough of either just now to fight a near-peer without being badly bloodied. And unfortunately you don't have the leadership necessary to set things right either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think it would stay contained and conventional.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be probably something other than conventional major combat operations, but still a war.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are you ready for the .mil suicide rate to skyrocket from an already all-time high?
View Quote

John Murtha, is that you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. If we went to war, all we would have to do is send a bunch of long range missiles to destroy their resource chains. They wouldn't last long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you are predicting the end of NATO and the U.S. openly admitting to allied nations that you will NOT honor treaty obligations to them?

That would drastically change the entire global landscape, and would probably result in China moving rapidly to invade Taiwan, and also to start taking remote Japanese islands very soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are predicting the end of NATO and the U.S. openly admitting to allied nations that you will NOT honor treaty obligations to them?

That would drastically change the entire global landscape, and would probably result in China moving rapidly to invade Taiwan, and also to start taking remote Japanese islands very soon.

I call dibs on Greenland.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yup. If we went to war, all we would have to do is send a bunch of long range missiles to destroy their resource chains. They wouldn't last long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you remember how much of a hit the US economy took just from 9/11? the GDP dropped from around +4% to something like +1%

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's this you business? Don't you love America? How about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

lol

russian military is garbage.

Unless they go nuclear, the US would wipe the floor with them without even breaking a sweat.

The only things they are good at is posing for Putin propaganda, and pushing around pathetically weak little shitass countries on their borders
View Quote

Which is exactly why they would go nuclear. Do you think Putin could just let his battered and broken army retreat home with their tail between their legs and call it a lesson? Obviously not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Which is exactly why they would go nuclear. Do you think Putin could just let his battered and broken army retreat home with their tail between their legs and call it a lesson? Obviously not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

russian military is garbage.

Unless they go nuclear, the US would wipe the floor with them without even breaking a sweat.

The only things they are good at is posing for Putin propaganda, and pushing around pathetically weak little shitass countries on their borders

He will unless he wants to see Moscow turned into a big glass parking lot.

MAD. How does it work?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to our recent robust defense of our long standing counterproliferation stances?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top