User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Slicing some time off a paycheck is no worse than excessive smoke breaks that employees take.

I once worked for a company once that would slice my check if I went over 40 hours per week. I could have "called the man" on them, but I didn't. I kept working there and it paid me OK money at a time when I really needed it. Reporting it would have just caused me to be without a job.

Why bite the hand that feeds? What did the employees really lose? A couple bucks? Boo hoo.

Life will go on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their business, their rules. If employees want to be compensated appropriately, they should find work elsewhere.

No one is forcing them to work at McDonalds.... they voluntarily stay and put up with it.

No self-respecting libertarian I've ever met was ok with fraud/theft.

That said, I'm skeptical about the claims.

Slicing some time off a paycheck is no worse than excessive smoke breaks that employees take.

I once worked for a company once that would slice my check if I went over 40 hours per week. I could have "called the man" on them, but I didn't. I kept working there and it paid me OK money at a time when I really needed it. Reporting it would have just caused me to be without a job.

Why bite the hand that feeds? What did the employees really lose? A couple bucks? Boo hoo.

Life will go on.

Here's one of the problems with that idea.   It's illegal.   I worked as a manager in a small computer store chain at one point.  Our boss had all of us classified as salaried overtime exempt and took great advantage of it.  We didn't meet any of the required definitions for it.   Always wanted extra days and never wanted to give up an hour or two.  We all knew it was illegal and went along to keep our jobs.  This guy had a habit of screaming at people to "motivate" them.   With people who are self starters this is just liable to piss them off, and one day the expected happened.   He blew up at one of his managers and wrote them up when they hadn't done anything wrong.  They called DoL.  DoL sent him a letter telling him to have all of the required records available by a certain date and he blew them off.   Ended up costing him in excess of $80,000 in the long run.   Screwing your employees is a stupid practice, and even if they go along with it in the short term, all it takes is one disgruntled employee making a phone call to bring a shit storm of epic proportions down on you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Their business, their rules. If employees want to be compensated appropriately, they should find work elsewhere.

No one is forcing them to work at McDonalds.... they voluntarily stay and put up with it.
View Quote

...Until it becomes a violation of the Federal Labor Standards Act regarding overtime (in a forty hour work week) not being paid to the employees. Then they're breaking rules that all businesses are required to follow.

If McDonalds doesn't like the rules, they can go do business elsewhere, where there are no rules...

...Like Somalia.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's funny, you just fire these employees, I let these same types keep their jobs with stipulations.  To GD however, I'm a horrible person and a "thief."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So employers are not required to follow labor laws?

Employers should be free to steal from employees and if the employee finds out their only solution should be to quit?

Employment isn't an agreement between to entities to exchange one thing for another?

It's an agreement. Agreements usually have terms.

Terms like - you work the hours agreed upon between you and your manager.

You come in early, stay late, come in on an off day, work OT - without manager's approval, then don't expect to get paid.

It's still their rules.

If you could get paid just for clocking in, people would work early, late, all the freaking time they'd be on the clock.

There are still rules to be followed.

Perhaps my first post was a little harsh though.

Most places you're required to be at work on time.  You're normally allowed to clock in within a certain time of your scheduled time (10 min is common) and are required to clock out at the end of your scheduled shift unless authorized additional time by your supervisor.    In a business that's following the law, if you violate these rules they pay you and then either write you up or fire you.  

Exactly.  I've had employees who, once they realized I was following the law, decided to game the system by clocking in early or out late to generate OT pay.  The worst were the ones who dragged their work out towards closing time, and then claimed that they had to stay late (and go on OT) in order to get everything done.  When I told them that wasn't allowed, they pitched a fit about how overworked they were.  I knew they weren't, they knew they weren't, but they also bet that there wasn't much I could do short of firing them.  Some of them rolled those dice and lost.

For everyone here who believes that only the employer can steal from an employee under the wage and hour laws, I've seen just the opposite.  These employees knew that we were trying to follow the law, and thought they could take advantage of that fact.

It's funny, you just fire these employees, I let these same types keep their jobs with stipulations.  To GD however, I'm a horrible person and a "thief."

Know what else is a "stipulation"? Getting paid for the fucking work you do.

Thief is appropriate for your described "management" tactics.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I guarantee if the employees in question were union, GD would be all over this shit like the ketchup/mustard combo on Happy Meals.

"Fuck the unions!"
"Screw those greedy bastards"

I never thought I'd live to see the day GD stuck up for FSA McDonald's workers.... Division by zero at it's finest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both parties should adhere to their contract.

Agreed.

I guarantee if the employees in question were union, GD would be all over this shit like the ketchup/mustard combo on Happy Meals.

"Fuck the unions!"

I never thought I'd live to see the day GD stuck up for FSA McDonald's workers.... Division by zero at it's finest.

And the bullshit you're spewing is reason #1 why unions exist, as well as why the .gov regulates wage and hour.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is there any way we can vote to have his name forcibly changed to "StatistTrollingYankee"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So because someone is on the clock at the job, but not actively serving a customer because no one is currently in the store, then they should not be paid?  Uhhg, Libertarians... retards.

If minimum wage laws didn't exist, sure. I think they'd be a great way to pay employees. Per burger or per customer.

Why should they get paid if there isn't revenue being generated? They'd do well to increase sales by providing a quality experience. You scare your customers away? You don't get paid.

But ultimately, it's up to the employer to decide the terms of employment and employees to agree or not agree. Oh, and watch out for the fine print.

Is there any way we can vote to have his name forcibly changed to "StatistTrollingYankee"?

fixed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And the bullshit you're spewing is reason #1 why unions exist, as well as why the .gov regulates wage and hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

At least the formation of unions is Constitutionally protected.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
"Their business, their rules (does not speak to legality or morality, simply states that the company can make any rule it wants). If employees want to be compensated appropriately( legally), they should find work elsewhere (that is not manipulating pay).
No one is forcing them to work at McDonalds (they chose the job, and it sounds like the ladies in the OP were complacent in manipulating pay for a while).... they voluntarily stay and put up with it (self explanatory)."
Man...  I can't believe how many of you shit your pants because you can't understand simple statements.

Bunch of aspies in here.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

With rights come responsibilities.

If you don't want uncle sam telling you how to pay your employees, don't play mind fuck games with yours and don't allow other employers to do the same.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you don't want uncle sam telling you how to pay your employees, don't play mind fuck games with yours and don't allow other employers to do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

Strictly speaking, how other employers treat their employees is not my concern.  In fact, the worse they treat them, the better for me and the worse for them.  Almost like a free marketplace, isn't it?

Union formation is constitutionally protected.  Government meddling, no so much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus. H. Christ. Please go find a new hobby besides trolling arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you think that the employees should not have the right to find a different job that follows the law?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So do you think that the employees should not have the right to find a different job that follows the law?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oddly, I find myself arguing the libertarian (which I am not) position with Liberaltarians (who aren't, obviously, libertarians, either).
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

uh no. Sorry. you either need to salary the employees or pay them by the hour which means you pay them for the hours they worked. You entered into a contract with these employees to pay them X amount of dollars per hour.  No one forced you to hire them so its you who is breaking the contract.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. I also think Mcdonalds has the right to get its ass sued off if any of that is true.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You really think McDonalds workers are working on the clock every second they're there? Are they really "earning" that money?

Have you ever been to McDonalds? That shit takes forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol now that is dumb, even for GD.  Everyone should be paid their agreed upon wage for every second they are on the clock.

You really think McDonalds workers are working on the clock every second they're there? Are they really "earning" that money?

Have you ever been to McDonalds? That shit takes forever.

let's trade this guy for arock
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sure. I also think Mcdonalds has the right to get its ass sued off if any of that is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see Corporate doing that.   That sounds like a bad franchisee, and there are lots of them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you think McDonalds should get it's ass sued off because you believe employees whould not have the right to find different jobs that follow the law?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Starting pay is 12 an hour?   For fast food?   Wow, that's pretty darn goodridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
McDonalds starting pay here is 12.00 an hr.  They cant fill the positions so I doubt the stores around here are cutting peoples hours.

Starting pay is 12 an hour?   For fast food?   Wow, that's pretty darn goodridiculous.

FTFY
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So you think McDonalds should get it's ass sued off because you believe employees whould not have the right to find different jobs that follow the law?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ, what are you, this other guys retarded cousin? No one is even saying that. You two should meet up and spend the night popping the zits on each others' backs. You're made for one another.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Christ

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Jesus. H. Christ.

Christ

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't see Corporate doing that.   That sounds like a bad franchisee, and there are lots of them.
View Quote

Owner of the franchise pizza place I worked at would shut down the computers at the end of the night while I was cleaning up, thus clocking me out.  If it was a slow day he'd shut them down earlier in the clean up process.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cheating people out of their money? Getting your ass whooped will generally correct that.
View Quote
Libertarians-who-don't-understand-libertarianism: "Oh Heavens NOOOOOOOOO! That would be *AGGRESSION!!!!*"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Libertarians-who-don't-understand-libertarianism: "Oh Heavens NOOOOOOOOO! That would be *AGGRESSION!!!!*"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheating people out of their money? Getting your ass whooped will generally correct that.

Afrcom's libertarians are not what they claim to be.  Big fucking surprise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah it's probably been said somewhere within 5 pages but large corporations do it all the time. I worked for UPS for a while and I had to bitch and complain and eventually threaten them with legal consequences (along with the other 10 employees that worked with me on my shift) before they'd change. They were cheating us out of about an hour every day. Not a whole lot but with the tiny paycheck we were already getting, every bit helped. I did the math and it was coming out to be somewhere around $200/month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I was going to get in on this one, but I can't unravel the retarded troll posts from the genuine retardation.  

McD's violated a contractual obligation to pay for time worked.  

This is why we have courts.  

Simple, really.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#27]
McDonald's blows. They started stealing from people with "fluffed" fries that look like a full box but are really half empty years ago. Not surprised it has progressed to stealing from employee paychecks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Borderline personal attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Borderline personal attack.
Deal with it. It's the truth. We can go to the pit if you want. What I edited out would have made your vag hurt.

How am I a thief?
You forced people to work for free.

Never once did I ever force someone to work off the clock, they always offered and worked voluntarily.
And you're a liar too. You admitted to forcing people to work for free otherwise you'd retaliate against them:
most were good sports about working off the clock, just buy them a couple beers and dinner.  The ones that had a problem with it just got their shifts reduced down to one night a week until they quit.

It was pretty easy for them to understand that if they can't get their job done in a timely manner, I would soon have to find someone that could and for cheaper. Either they're out of 30 minutes of pay here and there, or they're out of whole entire paychecks.
Something tells me you weren't kicking you boss some of your own pay back every check. I guarantee you're the type of guy who'll flip a shit about being shorted a few bucks by a cashier.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't really care.  Don't work there anymore, haven't in close to a year, and I'm out of that fucking industry for good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't really care.  Don't work there anymore, haven't in close to a year, and I'm out of that fucking industry for good.

Willful violations of the FLSA have a 3 year statute of limitations

What's funny is you guys getting all hissy pissy, something that I hadn't mentioned yet was that these were the same guys that came to me when I had switched companies asking for a job.  So, how much of a bad guy am I?  Must be a pretty horrible boss to have that kind of loyalty.
I have no idea why guys follow you. You're still a thief.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well aware, and if that event had ever arose, things would have been taken care of.
View Quote

Exactly how?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You know, a lot of this bullshit came about just a couple years ago with the introduction to Obamacare, as I had mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Restaurants don't operate with margins that allow all FT and FTE employees to have healthcare provided.  Much of the time clock edits are a direct reflection of that.  Where I originally had a smaller, but amazing staff that it didn't matter if they hit OT because they were efficient enough to still get their work done and maintain labor percentages, with Obamacare, I could no longer have that.  When we began soft rolling Obamacare requirements, we had to double our staff to limit the total number of hours each employee was working in a given month in order to stay within compliance.  With that came the dregs and shit employees who would slack at work, not get their jobs done, and piss and moan constantly while eating up the clock.  Mind you, that these were the applicants that actually got hired!  The rest of the applicant pool was much worse.  At the cost to hire and train a new employee, it was sadly more economical to retain a half-assed employee than it was to fire, hire, and train a new one.  So stipulations were made.

I challenge any of you bitching that I'm a "thief" to operate a restaurant under the same conditions, but doing it your way.  Good luck
View Quote

So the mean old Obama forced you to be a scumbag thief?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.  I've had employees who, once they realized I was following the law, decided to game the system by clocking in early or out late to generate OT pay.  The worst were the ones who dragged their work out towards closing time, and then claimed that they had to stay late (and go on OT) in order to get everything done.  When I told them that wasn't allowed, they pitched a fit about how overworked they were.  I knew they weren't, they knew they weren't, but they also bet that there wasn't much I could do short of firing them.  Some of them rolled those dice and lost.

For everyone here who believes that only the employer can steal from an employee under the wage and hour laws, I've seen just the opposite.  These employees knew that we were trying to follow the law, and thought they could take advantage of that fact.

And when the employee does more "work", i.e. decides to clock in for more hours, than the company assigned?  Isn't that stealing from the company when the employee knows that the law requires the employer to pay for that time "worked"?  If the employer has no control over how many hours the employee works, then the employees are running the business, not the management.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And when the employee does more "work", i.e. decides to clock in for more hours, than the company assigned?  Isn't that stealing from the company when the employee knows that the law requires the employer to pay for that time "worked"?  If the employer has no control over how many hours the employee works, then the employees are running the business, not the management.
View Quote

The employer needs to make sure they don't show up early or stay late. I've worked at jobs where you get written up for working past 40 the first time. Second time, not so nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I guess It'd be ok if an employee took a case of burger patties, a bucket of pickles, a tank of Coke, some buns, maybe a bag of fries home, pull an extra twenty or two outta the register. If the clown doesn't want to put up with it he can just fire them otherwise it's ok then.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
That's the restaurant industry.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Written in Deuteronomy 24:14
You shall not withhold the wages of poor and needy laborers, whether other Israelites or aliens who reside in your land in one of your towns.
Originally Written in James 5:4
Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.
The Main Man isn't amused with such shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Written in Deuteronomy 24:14

You shall not withhold the wages of poor and needy laborers, whether other Israelites or aliens who reside in your land in one of your towns.

Originally Written in James 5:4

Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.
Even the Jews popped smoke from Egypt...

Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Troll?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're an awful libertarian. . .
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

McD's violated a contractual obligation to pay for time worked.  

View Quote

Not having seen the contract, I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

And people wonder why some folks would rather collect unemployment than work. Honest work for honest pay is always preferable in my book than a handout. I'v taken jobs that were professionally beneath my ability because the job market sucked and I'd rather be doing something than nothing. But the moment that you are treated like shit, employment laws and agreements are broken, and you're told too fucking bad. Nah, that's a different story. Agreements have to be upheld by both sides.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Breach of Contract.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Troll?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Troll?  

Gee, ya think!? LOL
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]
So you are supposed to work 40h/w

You go over that, fuck off I dont care work the time you are supposed too and get a real job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I guess that depends on the individual franchise owner.

View Quote

It's not like the McD's corporate office is sending emails instructing franchisees to do this kinda crap.

There are 13000 locations in the US alone.  

Gonna have some dumb arse managers with those kinds of numbers

Yep, had problems at an IHOP a few weeks ago, ran into the employee that initially tried to help us at his other job the next night, he said the problem was that the owners of that franchise were deliberately trying to keep employee hours down due to ObamaCare, so they were short-staffed (which was why he was working at least two jobs).  We wound up walking up after waiting over an hour without being served our food, and we heard another group leave for the same reason, a guy who was in the lobby said "that's five people walking out because their food is taking way too long, I'm not going to stick around either."  I filled out the online complaint form but never heard back from the franchise, I'm going to dig up the reference number I got with it and follow up with corporate.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not paying someone money owed by contracted work is essentially theft of labor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not paying someone money owed by contracted work is essentially theft of labor.

FYPFY
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#47]
So has anyone in this 5 page thread mentioned that 80% of McD's are franchise operations

and McD corp has nothing to do with employing or paying the wages of people who don't

work for McD corp?  Some lib Facebook friend posted this same vid.  I never could find a straight

answer to exactly who these employees worked for.  My guess is they didn't work for McD corp.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone lives in an inexpensive apartment a bad neighborhood because due to his current circumstances, that's all he can get.

Scumbags break into his apartment from time to time and steal his meager shit.

It's not the thieving scumbags' fault; because the victim is free to move away at any time.

Trolls and sociopaths abound in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Someone lives in an inexpensive apartment a bad neighborhood because due to his current circumstances, that's all he can get.

Scumbags break into his apartment from time to time and steal his meager shit.

It's not the thieving scumbags' fault; because the victim is free to move away at any time.
Trolls and sociopaths abound in this thread.
View Quote
The irony being with your poor analogy, is that in GD threads talking about shitty neighborhoods, everyone's response is "Move".

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top