BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To some people, yeah. The argument could be made, by an asshole that's never had to work for $8.00 an hour, that those people are suckers and it's their own fault and they deserve nothing for being suckers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A "big government solution" should be required to be fairly compensated for work performed?

To some people, yeah. The argument could be made, by an asshole that's never had to work for $8.00 an hour, that those people are suckers and it's their own fault and they deserve nothing for being suckers.

Someone needs to flip the burgers. That being said, if they really wanted to make sure their employers didn't take advantage of them, they'd go to law school and get a law degree. Instead, I bet they spend the money paying for their 17 illegitimate children and baggies of dope.

They only thing holding them back is themselves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Their business, their rules. If employees want to be compensated appropriately, they should find work elsewhere.

No one is forcing them to work at McDonalds.... they voluntarily stay and put up with it.
View Quote

I used to think it'd be fun to have troll account and pretend to be a real douchenozzle fundamentalist libertarian, but I dawdled around and now it's too late.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
For those that do not know LibertarianYankee's standard response to most posts is "Their business, their rules".
Do not let him suck you in to whatever it is he is trying to accomplish, mostly his post count.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#4]
So much for the ignore button.  It doesn't work when someone posts something so retarded everyone quotes the moron.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So much for the ignore button.
View Quote
It's so tempting to feed the trolls. Damned quotes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So much for the ignore button.

He's a bigger troll the _A. GD should know that by now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For those that do not know LibertarianYankee's standard response to most posts is "Their business, their rules".
Do not let him suck you in to whatever it is he is trying to accomplish, mostly his post count.
View Quote

Employers cheat their employees all the time. And employees cheat their employers too. Big deal. Life goes on.

Be glad you don't have to work at McDonalds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a lot of places I worked. This isn't exclusive to McDonalds.

I was working for McDonalds when I joined the Reserves. I came back from BCT to a pay cut. The store manager actually told me she did it because I joined the Army (I guess I needed to be punished). I walked. My girlfriend worked there too, and the manager kept asking her why I quit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You really think McDonalds workers are working on the clock every second they're there? Are they really "earning" that money?

Have you ever been to McDonalds? That shit takes forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their business, their rules. If employees want to be compensated appropriately, they should find work elsewhere.

No one is forcing them to work at McDonalds.... they voluntarily stay and put up with it.

lol now that is dumb, even for GD.  Everyone should be paid their agreed upon wage for every second they are on the clock.

You really think McDonalds workers are working on the clock every second they're there? Are they really "earning" that money?

So because someone is on the clock at the job, but not actively serving a customer because no one is currently in the store, then they should not be paid?  Uhhg, Libertarians... retards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, because to suggest that people quit their job if they don't like it is "trolling".

Minimum wage employee is free to hire a lawyer to come after them, but one hour of the lawyer's time will likely cost that worker their entire paycheck for one week.

Worth it to sue? Maybe. If you actually win. Going to take years in the court system, meanwhile they fired your ass along time ago, and no other fast food place will hire you because of your snitch reputation.

Just find another job. No one likes a snitch...

Or *gasp*, maybe the McD's workers can unionize
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure there will be a lawsuit over this if true.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So because someone is on the clock at the job, but not actively serving a customer because no one is currently in the store, then they should not be paid?  Uhhg, Libertarians... retards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol now that is dumb, even for GD.  Everyone should be paid their agreed upon wage for every second they are on the clock.

Work is no different that being under arrest. Either you are free to go home (off the clock) or you are not (and you should be paid.) An employer can't demand that you wait unpaid for a customer to show up.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I guess that depends on the individual franchise owner.

View Quote

It's not like the McD's corporate office is sending emails instructing franchisees to do this kinda crap.

There are 13000 locations in the US alone.  

Gonna have some dumb arse managers with those kinds of numbers

Exactly its not McDonald's is a franchise or manager that doesn't know how to manage their labor costs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If minimum wage laws didn't exist, sure. I think they'd be a great way to pay employees. Per burger or per customer.

Why should they get paid if there isn't revenue being generated? They'd do well to increase sales by providing a quality experience. You scare your customers away? You don't get paid.

But ultimately, it's up to the employer to decide the terms of employment and employees to agree or not agree. Oh, and watch out for the fine print.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everyone should be paid their agreed upon wage for every second they are on the clock.
View Quote

if you clock in before your scheduled shift, and i didnt ask you to come in early, i aint paying you shit.  same goes for if you stay late for no reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im pretty sure its against the rules to not pay someone for hours worked. Seriously some of you who parrot this "their company their rules" shit are idiots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, because to suggest that people quit their job if they don't like it is "trolling".

Minimum wage employee is free to hire a lawyer to come after them, but one hour of the lawyer's time will likely cost that worker their entire paycheck for one week.

Worth it to sue? Maybe. If you actually win. Going to take years in the court system, meanwhile they fired your ass along time ago, and no other fast food place will hire you because of your snitch reputation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad to meet you; glad to see you go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Their rules conflict with the law. The workers will get paid (and their lawyers will get rich) if they can prove that they were permitted to work off the clock, had times sheets rejiggered to quash OT, et c.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure there will be a lawsuit over this if true.
View Quote

Yeah - against the franchise owner, not corporate. I doubt it's a corporate sanctioned policy....

Corporate will probably terminate their franchise agreement, which they have every right to do if they find out this is true....

This news would be bad for business.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Someone needs to flip the burgers. That being said, if they really wanted to make sure their employers didn't take advantage of them, they'd go to law school and get a law degree. Instead, I bet they spend the money paying for their 17 illegitimate children and baggies of dope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A "big government solution" should be required to be fairly compensated for work performed?

You lost your coloring books again, didn't you?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

if you clock in before your scheduled shift, and i didnt ask you to come in early, i aint paying you shit.  same goes for if you stay late for no reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone should be paid their agreed upon wage for every second they are on the clock.

This might be the crux of the matter.

Punching  in early and punching out late after the end of shift without being authorized doesn't entitle one to be paid for that time.

Which is why I'd like to hear what is said in deposition rather than in a video rife with heresay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Im pretty sure its against the rules to not pay someone for hours worked. Seriously some of you who parrot this "their company their rules" shit are idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time on the clock != hours worked.

Who sanctioned their OT? Was it done in writing, for each OT occurrence?

Is it possible employees were scamming the time clock and just got their hours docked as a result?

Wouldn't be the first time. Fast food employees can be shifty people.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I worked for a publicly traded firm. Management decided to do a leveraged buy out and take the company private. The only problem was they talked the bank into using the 401K funds I and several others had contributed over the years. When I went to leave the company my 401K funds were gone. Department of Labor stepped in and sued the bank and the management. Seven years later I got a check for my original contribution plus $200K in fines and penalties. The company went chapter 7 but it didn't matter as they seized the assets of the company and the management.

It was a textbook example of how not to do an LBO.

If management can get away with murder, they will whether it's a mom and pop or a Fortune 500 like McDonalds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I eagerly await the day your bridge collapses on top of you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Work is no different that being under arrest. Either you are free to go home (off the clock) or you are not (and you should be paid.) An employer can't demand that you wait unpaid for a customer to show up.

View Quote

Depends what type of employee you are. Wage vs. salary vs. contract.

In this case, the employees are 99.99% likely to be wage.

I've never seen people so quick to side against McDonalds here. "Show me on the doll where Ronald McDonald touched you" type shit.

Is it possible, maybe, that the employees were caught scheming the clock and got caught? And their hours corrected as a result?

Either way, the employeers are welcome to quit and see if the grass really is greener on the other side at BK or Wendy's. Or hire a lawyer to fight McD's....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you read his posts in Steven Colbert's voice, they're actually pretty funny.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Suggesting someone spend 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars on a law degree to make sure a burger joint employer doesn't fuck them out of a few dollars each week is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Isn't that what walmart does to their employees ? Last I remember they were always 38-39 hours a week so no full time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#29]
You're getting trolled.

Quoted:
This is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read on arfcom.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read on arfcom.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your schtick has jumped the shark.  You really just sound like a moron the more you post.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Suggesting someone spend 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars on a law degree to make sure a burger joint employer doesn't fuck them out of a few dollars each week is.
View Quote

Look - McDonald's and other fast food joint jobs were never intended for you to make a career out of and work there from age 18 to retirement.

The fact that we have people spending years of their lives working there and nothing making something out of themselves shows a lot about the diminishing work ethic of Americas in today's times.

If I worked at McD's I would be banking every dollar I could and trying to get an education to better myself. Perhaps it was a bad analogy but the truth remains - McDonalds is NOT a place where you can have a career!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm Lovin It.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snort* ya you are right!! Haha!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For some reason I doubt it's happening.

I worked fast food for two summers in high school (Burger King one year, McDonalds the next).

The *only* violation of pay policies I saw was that ONCE I didn't get a lunch break. Manager knew about it, the cash registers (which were also timeclocks) were printing out a "give Iram a break" notices out of the receipt printer. I was handing those notices to the manager. After the 3rd notice the manager told me to stop giving him the notices (but I kept handing him the notices anyways...fuck that). The store got fined for it, a couple hundred over a 30-minute break for a minimum-wage cashier, because the payroll system forwarded the labor violation info automatically.

No one every officially said anything to me about it though.
View Quote

The claims are true.  Years ago, I worked at McDonald's in high school for the summer to earn spending money.  It was my first job and I was just excited to be working.

When I got hired, it was for $7/hour, for 7 hours per day, for 5 days a week.  That comes out to $245 every 2 weeks.

I was paid twice a month, and after SS and income tax, I was routinely taking home less than $125 per pay check.  At the time, I was just dumb and didn't even think to check it.  I did think it was maybe a bit low, but didn't really care as it was more money than I'd ever seen in my life!

Basically, I was only taking home about 50% of my earnings.  I never received a pay stub, a list of hours, or even a printed time sheet... just a check at the end of the two weeks.  After a couple months of working there, I did begin to get suspicious, and inquired with the managers (they had several and it was always a different one each night).  Most told me there was no way to give me a print out of my hours, and some said they could not do it.  Only 1 gave me a printout, but it was so garbled and convoluted, it was impossible to make sense of it.  Even she had no idea what it all meant.

I worked the overnight shift (just when McDonald's began to go 24/7 around 2002), and at midnight, they always shut down the computers to tally the day's take.  When they did so, I was forced to clock out (and take my unpaid lunch break).  However, they would routinely tell me not to clock back in for an hour or so after the system would come back up.  If a person on the morning shift didn't show up, or was late, I was asked to stay on into the morning, but was told to clock out at 7:00 AM as always (hours were 11:00 PM - 7:00 AM with 1 hour unpaid for lunch).  Several times I conveniently "forgot" to clock out despite being asked to stay late, and when one of the managers for the morning crew saw that I was still clocked in, she about panicked, clocked me out, told me to go home immediately.  By that point, I had already been there an extra hour and a half.  I saw her going into her computer immediately after and I'm pretty sure she was readjusting my hours to make it 7:00 AM.

Once, when one of the manager's shut down the system at midnight, he took $20 out of my register and then instructed me to charge people extra to make up for it (he stated it was because another cashier had come up short, but I think he just pocketed it).  When the system shuts down, so do all the computers that make everything push button and keep track of everything.  I did everything by pen and paper and with a calculator and we would enter it in after they came back up.  No receipts, no nothing (most people never wanted one).  So he wanted me to add an extra $0.50 or more to every order while they were down to make up the money gone.  I never did it and just pretended like I forgot.  I don't think anything came of it, and I think that's because he took it out of the Ronald McDonald house fund (those plastic donation bins that used to hang on the outside of each drive through window that you could drop change into.  There would often be $50 or more in change and bills at the end of a day.

I think in the just over 3 months I worked there, I took home about $800.  I have no way to prove any of this as I'm sure their records from 12 years ago have long since been destroyed (and they would never release them anyway) and I know I don't have anything proving it.  I have my memories though and I think overall, I learned from it and grew for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Isn't that what walmart does to their employees ? Last I remember they were always 38-39 hours a week so no full time.
View Quote

Sort of, but I think it depends on the store in question. Not sure. Never run either type of establishment....

McDonald's actually encourages their employees to collect welfare to supplement their menial income from their fast food job.

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/23/mcdonalds-mcresources-help-line-tells-worker-how-to-get-welfare-benefits/

The people who are supposedly being "cheated" on their paychecks are liking collecting welfare and cheating you and me (the taxpayers). Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Later on in this thread you said that children shouldn't be allowed to clean ovens because it's against the law.

Here you are arguing that McDonalds should be able to not pay workers overtime pay that they worked....which is also against the law.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Later on in this thread you said that children shouldn't be allowed to clean ovens because it's against the law.

Here you are arguing that McDonalds should be able to not pay workers overtime pay that they worked....which is also against the law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, was their overtime approved? You don't just go working over time and expect to be paid for it. Many companies have policies requiring authorization of overtime. I would strongly encourage them to read the employee handbook.

Oh, and children can not give proper consent to employment agreements, but nice try. These threads always have some "won't you think of the children?!" action in them...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you seriously advocating that fast food employees should be forced to clock out if a customer hasn't entered the establishment in say... 2 minutes... then when one does, clock back in, and only be paid for the accumulated amount of time worked?

Either my sarcasm meter is off, or you and LibertarianYankee are so deep in each other's asses that you are beginning to think alike.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Slicing some time off a paycheck is no worse than excessive smoke breaks that employees take.

I once worked for a company once that would slice my check if I went over 40 hours per week. I could have "called the man" on them, but I didn't. I kept working there and it paid me OK money at a time when I really needed it. Reporting it would have just caused me to be without a job.

Why bite the hand that feeds? What did the employees really lose? A couple bucks? Boo hoo.

Life will go on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No self-respecting libertarian I've ever met was ok with fraud/theft.

That said, I'm skeptical about the claims.

Slicing some time off a paycheck is no worse than excessive smoke breaks that employees take.

I once worked for a company once that would slice my check if I went over 40 hours per week. I could have "called the man" on them, but I didn't. I kept working there and it paid me OK money at a time when I really needed it. Reporting it would have just caused me to be without a job.

Why bite the hand that feeds? What did the employees really lose? A couple bucks? Boo hoo.

Life will go on.

Are you dumb?  That has nothing to do with employment.  Employment is an agreement to exchange labor for money.  No one is feeding anyone else, it's a mutual exchange.  You act like employers watch over us like parents watch over their young and coddle us.  Without workers there is no work, without work their is no company, so companies pay workers to do the work.

Theft is ok.  As long as you only steal a few bucks here and there, no harm no foul.  Got it, at least I know where you stand with your morals.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Life will go on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No self-respecting libertarian I've ever met was ok with fraud/theft.

That said, I'm skeptical about the claims.

Life will go on.

Both parties should adhere to their contract.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.

I guarantee if the employees in question were union, GD would be all over this shit like the ketchup/mustard combo on Happy Meals.

"Fuck the unions!"
"Screw those greedy bastards"

I never thought I'd live to see the day GD stuck up for FSA McDonald's workers.... Division by zero at it's finest.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah, holy shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
McDonalds starting pay here is 12.00 an hr.  They cant fill the positions so I doubt the stores around here are cutting peoples hours.
Starting pay is 12 an hour?   For fast food?   Wow, that's pretty darn good.
Yeah, holy shit.  

It has been 5 or 6 months since I can remember seeing the signs but they had huge ones in front of most of the stores with in 2 hrs ride of here.  Oil/Gas production area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

lick those boots clean guy

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Are you seriously advocating that fast food employees should be forced to clock out if a customer hasn't entered the establishment in say... 2 minutes... then when one does, clock back in, and only be paid for the accumulated amount of time worked?

Either my sarcasm meter is off, or you and LibertarianYankee are so deep in each other's asses that you are beginning to think alike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny because I work in EMS.  I spend a lot of time on the clock watching TV, sleeping, etc.  I guess LY thinks I shouldn't get paid for my time waiting for people to call 911.  If he were to go on a ride along with us on one of our slow nights his head would explode over how our poor employer has to pay us to sit around and do nothing, and how unfair it is to our multimillionaire owners.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you dumb?  That has nothing to do with employment.  Employment is an agreement to exchange labor for money.  No one is feeding anyone else, it's a mutual exchange.  You act like employers watch over us like parents watch over their young and coddle us.  Without workers there is no work, without work their is no company, so companies pay workers to do the work.
View Quote

Employment is a take it or leave it proposition. You take the job or you don't. You stay or you don't.

The job belongs solely to the employer, not the employee. This two-way street employment analogy I hear (often form liberals) is bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I guarantee if the employees in question were union, GD would be all over this shit like the ketchup/mustard combo on Happy Meals.

"Fuck the unions!"

I never thought I'd live to see the day GD stuck up for FSA McDonald's workers.... Division by zero at it's finest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

You're arguing against yourself now.  You might want to go get checked out.  Your level of confusion could possibly be the sign of a stroke.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

"Fuck the unions!"

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Employment is a take it or leave it proposition. You take the job or you don't. You stay or you don't.

The job belongs solely to the employer, not the employee. This two-way street employment analogy I hear (often form liberals) is bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So employers are not required to follow labor laws?

Employers should be free to steal from employees and if the employee finds out their only solution should be to quit?

Employment isn't an agreement between to entities to exchange one thing for another?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#49]
My company has been fucking up my checks since the beginning of the year. No I dont work for McDonalds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You're arguing against yourself now.  You might want to go get checked out.  Your level of confusion could possibly be the sign of a stroke.
View Quote

I see what you did there.

Advertising your EMS services so you can get a referral from your employer (and keep work busy at that!).

We'll make a capitalist out of you yet, Towely!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top