Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wanna know where NYMEX crude opens tomorrow night....

i sure hope it's up big....

took a contract long over the wknd..
View Quote

Paulson? Is that you?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted. Already covered.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Think we still get somewhere around 10- 15% for consumption from them. Our main suppliers are Canada and Venezuela.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When was the US ever dependent on Saudi oil?  We don't use high sulfur content crude oil.  Europe and Asia were dependent on Saudi oil.  We secured their interest for them.

Think we still get somewhere around 10- 15% for consumption from them. Our main suppliers are Canada and Venezuela.

Correct:

http://www.api.org/publications-standards-and-statistics/~/media/Files/News/2014/14-March/13-Dec-Imports.pdf
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Department of energy says your numbers are wrong.

But it's splitting hairs but even with your numbers we get less than 11 percent of all our oil from Saudi.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our main suppliers are Canada and Saudi Arabia.

Incorrect.

http://www.infoplease.com/science/energy/us-oil-imports.html

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Department of energy says your numbers are wrong.

But it's splitting hairs but even with your numbers we get less than 11 percent of all our oil from Saudi.  

What I posted IS from the DOE.    What you posted is from 2008.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, could someone tell me why the hell gas has gone up over 40 cents a gallon in the last month.
And don't tell me it's cuz the summer blend changes the price.......................................................    

View Quote

Gas hasn't gone up.  Dollar has gone down.

TC
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, could someone tell me why the hell gas has gone up over 40 cents a gallon in the last month.
And don't tell me it's cuz the summer blend changes the price.......................................................    

TC

We can drill a well in 5-20 days on average.  
Building pipelines takes the longest.   Shipping it by truck costs money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Building pipelines takes the longest.   Shipping it by truck costs money.
View Quote

But, shipping it by rail makes Warren Buffett more money...

TC
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The idea that we are replacing Saudi oil with shale oil is fantasy.

We still import 2/3 rds of the oil we consume.
View Quote

I know a player in the crude oil xport business. Its still cheaper to haul foreign oil via tanker up to the refinery, on the east coast anyway.

I'm no commie or a obummer supporter but the kingdom of Saud has owned american presidents since the tail end of the Reagan era.  No pipeline approval, no approving of off shore rigs (oblamo)and more importantly, EPA not allowing the building of new refineries (oblammo and bushes) The newest ones are 40 years old. In the midwest there's thousands of gallons of unrefined oil sitting in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Imagine if one day we break the leash of the whole oil industry and go nuclear and solar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Imagine if one day we break the leash of the whole oil industry and go nuclear and solar.
View Quote

Nuclear is viable.   Solar is a fucking joke with current tech.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
They ought to be nervous.  They know the only thing that somehow elevates them in world opinion from the goat-fucking misogynistic murdering terrorist fucks that they are, is oil.  When we figure out a better energy source OPEC will be relegated to turning their oil into roofing compounds and cheap flip flops.  And the world will treat them as they deserve to be treated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Leaning over to get a medal put around your neck is not the same as bowing in submission.  Nice try though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Oil, oil everywhere.  Yet I am paying $3.89 a gallon for gas.  Thank you Barack Fucking Hussein Obama for once again kicking the Keystone pipeline decision until after another election you mongrel.

Gas was $1.89 a gallon a week before that POS was elected.  I hope he gets aggressive cancer that eats his colon out.

In other news, the price of beef is skyrocketing as the BLM tries to put America's cattle ranchers out of business.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They ought to be nervous.  They know the only thing that somehow elevates them in world opinion from the goat-fucking misogynistic murdering terrorist fucks that they are, is oil.  When we figure out a better energy source OPEC will be relegated to turning their oil into roofing compounds and cheap flip flops.  And the world will treat them as they deserve to be treated.
View Quote

There is always goat herding.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be great.  I look forward to driving my Delorean powered by Mr.Fusion.

The automobile, trucking, and home heating oil in the North East is what I think will keep the oil industry going for the foreseeable future.  Cars might be able to transition to either natural gas (of some flavor - LNG/LPG) with relative ease, but even that will need a distribution network equal to that of gasoline to be built by private industry.  And there you have a chicken/egg issue with supply and demand.  We won't see the distribution network built until it can be profitable (there is a demand - a lot of vehicles) and we won't see a lot of LNG/LPG vehicles until the fuel is commonly available.

Stored electric for cars won't be practical until there is a huge breakthrough in the ratio of battery capacity to size and weight.  Self-generated electricity might work - fuel cells - but again needs a big tech breakthrough, AND a fuel distro network to run them.  Or the aforementioned "Mr. Fusion"

Trucks - same issue as cars, multiplied by need for the increased power requirement to move heavier loads.

So that leaves home heating oil.  The sensible thing would be for all those to convert to natural gas.  But that requires a significant outlay of cash.  For people who have a hard time paying for their oil heat, even harder to pay to rip out oil furnaces, buy gas furnaces, and pay to get them installed and their homes piped for gas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Sure we do. Not every crude is East Texas Sweet. Talco crude has 0.7+ sulfur and Exxon's refinery in Baytown loved it. I can't remember what WTI is but some of Oklahoma's crude is high/higher. Blend it with condensate though and you can lower the sulfur. Take Talco crude and blend with condensate and it will lower your sulfur and raise your gravity. Now you can sale a 36 to 43 gravity oil with a 0.41 to 0.45 sulfur instead of a 19 to 22 gravity with a 0.7+ sulfur.

Gas cost more because  of many variables, cost from crude production in the field to the tariffs that pipeline companies charge to move each barrel to a refinery or trucking charges to haul it there. The cost of refining it to the cost to pipeline or truck it to tank stations where trucks load it to send to the gas stations. In these cost you have not only the cost of running a company, but you have all the continually rising cost of permits and govt compliance. Factor all that in with taxes that the govt has added to it and it keeps going up. Finally we have have speculators who buy and sale it whose main goal is to make $ and never leave an office.

I can't remember the exact amount but I read that the govt charges a higher tax than an oil company makes off of a gallon of gas.

Edit- The reason for the blend is it allows more refineries to take it. Many refineries aren't set up to take in high sulfur crude. Don't get the blend right and you've just contaminated a tank. Refineries tend to get pissy about such things. Hell as a pipeline company we throw a gasket when folks send us crude that contaminates a tank. Then we spend lots of money blending it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I've asked ME congress critters a question, NO RESPONSE.    ?? If Saudi/Qatar et all are seriously interested in a trans Syrian pipeline, has there been any talks/negotiations with the Syrian government regarding
pipeline building agreement.

Crickets?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:05:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure we're still exporting more than we're importing............but most is coming from South America............
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Maine (ME) is rumored to have massive oil/gas reserves. Two wells drilled 1 Ashland @ 1982, hit gas 32-34k ft level, would have been developable at that time @ $30 a bbl oil.  Oil field rumored to start @ 120 miles east of Boston, extend out into the atlantic basin on the "banks", and peters out Nova Scotia east.  Russians have hit massive oil many places @ 44k? level.

Price: Russia/Iran/Venezeula would be unable to compete oil estimated below 72-70$ level.   Bankruptcy, anyone?   Something Saudi/Qatar alliance could accomplish with pipelines to Europe through Syria.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In other news I am still paying 3.70 a gallon for diesel...
View Quote

You can thank the EPA for that. There's plenty of diesel made every day but that ULSD bullshit is much harder to produce and so now there's an artificial shortage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shit if they get short on money who will sponsor the Cannonball run
View Quote

I'll do it, but it'll be more of a bragging rights thing 'cause the prize money will suck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know a player in the crude oil xport business. Its still cheaper to haul foreign oil via tanker up to the refinery, on the east coast anyway.

I'm no commie or a obummer supporter but the kingdom of Saud has owned american presidents since the tail end of the Reagan era.  No pipeline approval, no approving of off shore rigs (oblamo)and more importantly, EPA not allowing the building of new refineries (oblammo and bushes) The newest ones are 40 years old. In the midwest there's thousands of gallons of unrefined oil sitting in the middle of nowhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't  really matter what the reasons are.

We consume 18 million barrels per day and produce about 8 million barrels per day. I was off a bit, due to the on going recession, we are consuming less oil now so we are importing slightly  more than 1/2 the oil we consume.

Yes there are 600 trillion barrels of oil in the US locked into shale.

The issue is producing it in the volume we need on a daily basis. It simply is not as easy as just sinking wells to increase the daily volume. And daily volume is what we need. That is why all the pundits that talk about how much oil we have, never talk about the daily volume of production, because it destroys the narrative.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty sure we're still exporting more than we're importing............but most is coming from South America............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not know where this comes from.

We have been a net importer of oil since 1975 and the result has been a large trade deficit resulting in the export of American wealth.

We are not a net exporter of oil, by this years numbers we import slightly more than half of our consumption.

here are the production numbers.

link

we consume 18.5 million barrels per day.

are total oil production is about 8  million barrels per day. Yes it is up from 7 million per day, but nowhere near meeting our consumption.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When was the US ever dependent on Saudi oil?  We don't use high sulfur content crude oil.  
View Quote

wat
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The major thing we are dependent on others for is refining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When was the US ever dependent on Saudi oil?  We don't use high sulfur content crude oil.  Europe and Asia were dependent on Saudi oil.  We secured their interest for them.

The major thing we are dependent on others for is refining.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Most of that is used in production.  Plastics I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of that is used in production.  Plastics I believe.

stop talking
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#28]
There is so much crap in this thread my head is spinning.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

US Producing More Oil Than It Imports November 2013
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

numbers are funny.

If I produce 10 and import 9.5  I am producing more than I import.

But I still consume 18.5  and still need to import 50% of my needs.

So not really sure what the big deal is about that other that propaganda.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

numbers are funny.

But I can still consume 18.5  and still need to import 50% of my needs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

numbers are funny.

But I can still consume 18.5  and still need to import 50% of my needs.

Thank you. I'm guilty of it. I think of import/export and neglect to think of consumption.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's two bucks less than Barry thinks you should pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's two bucks less than Barry thinks you should pay.

Yup Barry be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
4.13 here

I think we should pave the M.E. with Atomic glass, we can always come back in a few years and drill new wells in the worlds largest parking lot
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Australiian oil fields? Tell us more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Saudis are defecating in their night gown because they know that when the Australian  oil fields come on line they will need to sell their oil at sub $20 a barrel.

Sounds fishy.  I doubt that the Greens in Aus are going to allow modern recovery tech (tar sands, shale oil, et al) to be used in any major way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maine (ME) is rumored to have massive oil/gas reserves. Two wells drilled 1 Ashland @ 1982, hit gas 32-34k ft level, would have been developable at that time @ $30 a bbl oil.  Oil field rumored to start @ 120 miles east of Boston, extend out into the atlantic basin on the "banks", and peters out Nova Scotia east.  Russians have hit massive oil many places @ 44k? level.

Price: Russia/Iran/Venezeula would be unable to compete oil estimated below 72-70$ level.   Bankruptcy, anyone?   Something Saudi/Qatar alliance could accomplish with pipelines to Europe through Syria.
View Quote

Wow really?  32-34 and the russians are doing 44K? That is most impressive and I had no idea wells are going that deep now.  When I was a roughneck in the early 80's (TX and OK) I remember one well we drilled in the Anadarko basin and we all thought that was crazy deep at 28K (it was successful) and there was a Canadian crew that was nearby that went even a little deeper.  It took us well over a month to even get there and that was what seemed like non-stop pipe tripping every single day.

I'm sure technology in the oilfield has advanced tremendously since then (and I really haven't kept up to date) but I feel sorry for those poor guys that have to run that kind of pipe. But I also have no doubt that it is certainly possible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, about that....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, about that....

It is reported that the US is the largest producer of oil.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/15/us-oil-pira-idUSL1N0I51IX20131015

U.S. surges past Saudis to become world's top oil supplier

The United States has overtaken Saudi Arabia to become the world's biggest oil producer as the jump in output from shale plays has led to the second biggest oil boom in history, according to leading U.S. energy consultancy PIRA.

U.S. output, which includes natural gas liquids and biofuels, has swelled 3.2 million barrels per day (bpd) since 2009, the fastest expansion in production over a four-year period since a surge in Saudi Arabia's output from 1970-1974, PIRA said in a release on Tuesday.

Maybe I am reading the chart wrong but it appears we import way more oil from Canada than we do from Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia makes up how much of our actual oil imports?

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

So we do export more oil than we import from any single importer, but not a total of importers.

But do we really import 2/3rds of the oil we use?  We don't export all the oil we produce.  We likely export the oil that is easier to export.  If oil is in Alaska or offshore, might that oil be easier to ship to a refinery in another country than shipping it to Texas or some other state with refinery capacity?

Thank Obama for limiting US production.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's a pretty good price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first started driving it was 29.9 cents a gallon for 97 octane premium  gas.

'Don't remember the diesel price.

1971 in Rural Va.

Those were the days.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Russians would be doing humanity a great favor by vaporizing Mecca and Medina.
View Quote

It would be a good start.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
4.13 here  

I think we should pave the M.E. with Atomic glass, we can always come back in a few years and drill new wells in the worlds largest parking lot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4.13 here  

Although a rather drastic move it would sure get rid of a lot of the worlds problems......at  one fell swoop.

It does raise the more important question of:  

What's the half-life .......of radioactive crude....

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything over 2 per gallon is ridiculous but whatever
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The blame lies more with the Federal Reserve's quantitative easing and increasing global demand than anything else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
For some reason, having a large Muslim country with a bad economy doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Biggest threat to US security over the last couple decades have been unemployed young Muslim men with nothing to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

How dare you!

Did you forgot, this is GD aka Phantasy Island
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a weird alliance.  Americans hate the backwards savage Saudis and the Saudis hate Americans.  But the elites of the 2 countries like each other.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's a weird alliance.  Americans hate the backwards savage Saudis and the Saudis hate Americans.  But the elites of the 2 countries like each other.
View Quote

Neoliberalism - it's a wonderful thing.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
maybe good things will happen to the feds and the dollar as soon as Saudi start selling oil in BRICS currencies
View Quote

I love the inclusion South Africa on that list. It's the Axis of Ineptitude.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For some reason, having a large Muslim country with a bad economy doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Biggest threat to US security over the last couple decades have been unemployed young Muslim men with nothing to do.
View Quote

They don't like to,do anything, except,on Thursdays
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've asked ME congress critters a question, NO RESPONSE.    ?? If Saudi/Qatar et all are seriously interested in a trans Syrian pipeline, has there been any talks/negotiations with the Syrian government regarding
pipeline building agreement.

Crickets?
View Quote

Not exactly Mr. Current Events, are we?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sounds fishy.  I doubt that the Greens in Aus are going to allow modern recovery tech (tar sands, shale oil, et al) to be used in any major way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Saudis are defecating in their night gown because they know that when the Australian  oil fields come on line they will need to sell their oil at sub $20 a barrel.

Think East Timor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Phosphate
View Quote
Yep they are paying my salary for the next two years

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top