Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
This makes debating easier. No need for rational thought or focus. All that is needed is good rhythm and foul language.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No one actually gives two shits about college debates.

Half those debaters will probably be stuffing fries in a cardboard sleeve in a year anyways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
hardly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our government is filled with people with degrees, a lot of them are now being required to get a masters. Look at how poorly it is run, absolute incompetence to say he least.
View Quote

Shady masters degrees are the biggest scam going. Borrow $60,000 in taxpayer-guaranteed money to get a "Masters" in complaining? Sure, here's a check!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This "Tournament participants from all backgrounds say they have found some of these debate strategies offensive. Even so, the new style has received mainstream acceptance, sympathy, and awards," just reinforces the idea that people should say fuck the rules and do whatever you want. And dog pile anyone who dares to call you out for it.
View Quote

so in other words, they're incapable of properly debating, so they just act like assholes and not only is no one supposed to say anything, it's somehow acceptable and they win debates? sure why not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's the video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbQftMe6qY

At 49-50 minutes they start playing music and he starts rapping  

The two woman do some weird thing where they breath hard and say "uh" loud every 5 seconds.

View Quote

That was one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen. How could anyone sit there and waste their time listening to that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If that is what college has degenerated to, what a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Both should have been disqualified on the spot

Quoted:
I thought it was an onion article...

"Rather than address the resolution straight on..."  

More like completely disregarding the topic of the debate competition...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They can have a debate about a certain topic, two black students can show up, disregard the topic, talk about soemthing entirely different, ignore scholarly research and cited facts, rap, use spoken poetry, call each other "nigga", use profanity, and be declared the winners?

Holy fuck.  How would you like to be the white kid that had to follow the rules being shouted down by  the black kids for whom there are no rules?

Next year the black kids should just punch the white kids in the head, knock-out game style, and claim it represents a different, but equal, diverse and multicultural approach to debate.
View Quote
I was in intercollegiate debate in the early 90's.  What is described in the article is like showing up for a football game with a soccer ball.

If this is the way "debate" is conducted now, it is no longer an academic discipline and is "entertainment."

What a joke.

But the joke is on us.  Following the rules is for suckas.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope that video comes back to haunt them when they apply for a job.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I will shout you down, insult you, use unalloted time and call you racist but:

"No matter how people feel about my argument, they have to listen to me
for all of my speeches, everything I have to say,
they can’t make me
stop speaking,” she said."
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I think they're handing out consolation prizes masked as trophies.    Makes me sad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
wow. an orgy of their own victimhood.

well, it certainly fits in GD.
View Quote

No shit.  Is GD suddenly championing academic rigor and being able to effectively argue an issue from multiple sides?  Meanwhile, reality is that this apparent trend in college debate wholly parallels and embodies the trends in GD debate, and elsewhere in our society.  Further, this kind of thing couldn't possibly happen if the judges in these competitions weren't sympathetic to the narrative.  Looks to me like a bunch of smug liberal debate judges types getting hung by their own petard.  Maybe they need to add the word "extreme" to the debate competition name?

But, I suppose making it out to be whitey victimized by negroes helps the meta-narrative of victimhood, as idiocracy progresses forward.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I find it ironic the participants somehow think feel they have actually accomplished something of importance.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#15]
This is the embodiment of the Idiocracy courtroom.

He talks like a fag and his shits all retarded...

Humanity is dead.

On a side note, I wonder if that line would be a valid response to the rapping

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No shit.  Is GD suddenly championing academic rigor and being able to effectively argue an issue from multiple sides?  Meanwhile, reality is that this apparent trend in college debate wholly parallels and embodies the trends in GD debate, and elsewhere in our society.  Further, this kind of thing couldn't possibly happen if the judges in these competitions weren't sympathetic to the narrative.  Looks to me like a bunch of smug liberal debate judges types getting hung by their own petard.  Maybe they need to add the word "extreme" to the debate competition name?

But, I suppose making it out to be whitey victimized by negroes helps the meta-narrative of victimhood, as idiocracy progresses forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While not an inaccurate statement, to be fair, GD is an open forum.  This distinguishes it from formal academic debate, where all parties supposedly agree to the subject, acknowledge that they may be tasked to argue pro or con regardless of personal convictions and agree to obey the rules with respect to time and turns.

When you enter into a formal debate, and after the fact reject all the form and manner conventions, you are cheating at best.  

To be declared the victor under such circumstances, as opposed to being ejected from the competition, is an indicator of the fear of enforcing the rules.

Why would the tournament officials fear to enforce rules regarding form and manner?

Because they're afraid of being called racists.

My point?  This trend would not have been tolerated if white or asian kids initiated it.  Especially if they were shouting down black kids or changing debate premises in mid competition.

So yeah, it is black kids getting a pass at the expense of everybody else (including whites) because they serve the larger goals/narrative held dear by academia and it's societal allies.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

WTF is this imaginary "white privilege" bullshit?

View Quote

Google it.  But here's a selected article, just to get your juices going.  

http://ted.coe.wayne.edu/ele3600/mcintosh.html

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While not an inaccurate statement, to be fair, GD is an open forum.  This distinguishes it from formal academic debate, where all parties supposedly agree to the subject, acknowledge that they may be tasked to argue pro or con regardless of personal convictions and agree to obey the rules with respect to time and turns.

When you enter into a formal debate, and after the fact reject all the form and manner conventions, you are cheating at best.  

To be declared the victor under such circumstances, as opposed to being ejected from the competition, is an indicator of the fear of enforcing the rules.

Why would the tournament officials fear to enforce rules regarding form and manner?

My point?  This trend would not have been tolerated if white or asian kids initiated it.  Especially if they were shouting down black kids or changing debate premises in mid competition.

So yeah, it is black kids getting a pass at the expense of everybody else (including whites) because they serve the larger goals/narrative held dear by academia and it's societal allies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fault here is the judges, not the students.  I never took debate competitions seriously before I read this, and I won't start now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I will shout you down, insult you, use unalloted time and call you racist but:

"No matter how people feel about my argument, they have to listen to me for all of my speeches, everything I have to say, they can’t make me stop speaking,” she said."
View Quote

Can't see how she can make me listen.  I would have pulled the handles early on and had a beer in a bar far, far away.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck the time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The fault here is the judges, not the students.  I never took debate competitions seriously before I read this, and I won't start now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The coach as well.

Also, the students are the ones doing the actual cheating at the expense of other student competitors, so they do bear some of the fault, too.

Whether you take the competitions seriously isn't really the point.  The point is there were rules and now, there no longer are.  

To put a finer point in it: technically, there are still rules, but they are not enforced against some competitors and the reason is the immutable characteristic of the cheaters' race.

While the workings of "debate" as a competitive endeavor may not be of interest to you, the situation described above can reasonably be seen as a part of a larger trend.  

It is analogous to preferential treatment/rule waiving for blacks in all competitive endeavors academic and real world; especially those endeavors where circumstances present a particular individual black person who cannot win on meritorious grounds and has the bar lowered as a concession to their race.

The larger issue is real and pervasive.  This is just a symptom.

Acknowledging it as such is not an exercise of simian feces throwing by GD neckbeards.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Privilege is the concept that some people are born with "privilege" thus, regardless of their actions they are inherently evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Privilege is the concept that some people are born with "privilege" thus, regardless of their actions they are inherently evil.

This used to be called something else, I forget what.

Its pretty much the best thing ever. It allows you to hate Mother Teresa right after she fed you and saved your life, because she had "White ,Catholic, Cis, Western privilege".

Hate satisfies the appetite much more than gratitude.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything both of you said is the product of Educational-Privelege and thus evil.

Please shut up.
I am evil.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#27]
the USA will not be beaten in a war, but is presently at great risk from rot.... from the inside out.  in fact all western democracies are being slowly eviscerated.  fervor to occupy public or political office at any cost is overshadowing the principles of the foundation for civilization. debate these statements in college.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

the USA will not be beaten in a war, but is presently at great risk from rot.... from the inside out.  in fact all western democracies are being slowly eviscerated.  fervor to occupy public or political office at any cost is overshadowing the principles of the foundation for civilization. debate these statements in college.
View Quote
Can I rap my response?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#29]
is it me or do we need a stalin like purge of academia?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

is it me or do we need a stalin Pinochet like purge of academia every element of our society?
View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That was one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen. How could anyone sit there and waste their time listening to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbQftMe6qY

At 49-50 minutes they start playing music and he starts rapping  

The two woman do some weird thing where they breath hard and say "uh" loud every 5 seconds.

I would have walked out. I've walked out of crapola liberal lectures before, saving myself some brain damage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#32]
SO this is actually a freestyle rap competition for aspiring rapists to compete in right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

SO this is actually a freestyle rap competition for aspiring rapists to compete in right?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I find it ironic the participants somehow think feel they have actually accomplished something of importance.      
View Quote

They'll use their status as debate team members to get into  top 100 Law degree programs, and from there into government service.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the idea that a particular group of people cannot possibly have defective culture that is responsible for their shortcomings, but that another group has special advantages which are soley responsible for their general success.

Basically, no one is ever responsible for their own failures, it's always someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Degenerates FTW!!!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#37]
"What is the purpose of the music?"

"What do you mean what's the purpose, we're not concerned with ideas of purpose, we're just niggas you know"  

"ok"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Logic, knowledge and ability are race-iss
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"What is the purpose of the music?"

"What do you mean what's the purpose, we're not concerned with ideas of purpose, we're just niggas you know"  

"ok"

View Quote

where is that in the video?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Everything both of you said is the product of Educational-Privelege and thus evil.

Please shut up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please shut up.

I love people who go to Wal Mart and yell, "Wal Mart shoppers are a bunch of ignorant red necks!" every day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#42]
The correct response to that would be a Pythonesque display of absurdism culminating with taking a shit on the opposing team's desk, because rules are racist.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They should send those "winning" debate teams as State department diplomats to negotiate with the Rooskies.  They can't do any worse than John "Stuck in Iraq" Kerry, and might provide more entertainment value.
View Quote

You know, I'd get cable again just to see that on C-SPAN.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Resolved is a documentary that focuses on High School debate and touches on the racial aspect when black debaters essentially refuse to debate as an act of defiance of racism. It's worth a watch if you like documentaries.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The correct response to that would be a Pythonesque display of absurdism culminating with taking a shit on the opposing team's desk, because rules are racist.  
View Quote

They want to deconstruct? I'll show them deconstruction. All over their fuckin' desk.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I watched about 5 minutes…………I suggest everybody who clicks on this thread takes a few minutes and does the same.

If there is any doubt in your mind, regarding the fate and direction of this country………this ought to give you a bit to think about.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
They want to deconstruct? I'll show them deconstruction. All over their fuckin' desk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A white privilege shiterocage if I ever saw one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Resolved is a documentary that focuses on High School debate and touches on the racial aspect when black debaters essentially refuse to debate as an act of defiance of racism. It's worth a watch if you like documentaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvNNtEVkckc
View Quote

In defiance of the brutal occupation of my ancestral homeland by horn-helmeted Norsemen, I'm going to go into Curling matches and play ice hockey.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd like to know where I can sign up for some of this white privilege; I work two jobs, have no deductions and get raped on taxes every year so fucksticks like those can show the world how retarded they are.  
View Quote

Just do your job and move along.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvNNtEVkckc
View Quote

so developing a manner of speaking that no one can understand is developing future lawyers or auctioneers?

Quite the change from how I did debate back in the stone ages.

computers and the internet are huge changes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top