Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2014 11:38:45 AM EDT
An excerpt:

On March 24, 2014 at the Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) Championships at Indiana University, two Towson University students, Ameena Ruffin and Korey Johnson, became the first African-American women to win a national college debate tournament, for which the resolution asked whether the U.S. president’s war powers should be restricted. Rather than address the resolution straight on, Ruffin and Johnson, along with other teams of African-Americans, attacked its premise. The more pressing issue, they argued, is how the U.S. government is at war with poor black communities.

In the final round, Ruffin and Johnson squared off against Rashid Campbell and George Lee from the University of Oklahoma, two highly accomplished African-American debaters with distinctive dreadlocks and dashikis. Over four hours, the two teams engaged in a heated discussion of concepts like “nigga authenticity” and performed hip-hop and spoken-word poetry in the traditional timed format. At one point during Lee’s rebuttal, the clock ran out but he refused to yield the floor. “Fuck the time!” he yelled. His partner Campbell, who won the top speaker award at the National Debate Tournament two weeks later, had been unfairly targeted by the police at the debate venue just days before, and cited this personal trauma as evidence for his case against the government’s treatment of poor African-Americans.

More at the link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/04/does-traditional-college-debate-reinforce-white-privilege/360746/?_ga=1.72002259.1709807388.1397888571#disqus_thread
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Wtf?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
They can have a debate about a certain topic, two black students can show up, disregard the topic, talk about soemthing entirely different, ignore scholarly research and cited facts, rap, use spoken poetry, call each other "nigga", use profanity, and be declared the winners?

Holy fuck.  How would you like to be the white kid that had to follow the rules being shouted down by  the black kids for whom there are no rules?

Next year the black kids should just punch the white kids in the head, knock-out game style, and claim it represents a different, but equal, diverse and multicultural approach to debate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They can have a debate about a certain topic, two black students can show up, disregard the topic, talk about soemthing entirely different, ignore scholarly research and cited facts, rap, use spoken poetry, call each other "nigga", use profanity, and be declared the winners?

Holy fuck.  How would you like to be the white kid that had to follow the rules being shouted down by  the black kids for whom there are no rules?

Next year the black kids should just punch the white kids in the head, knock-out game style, and claim it represents a different, but equal, diverse and multicultural approach to debate.
View Quote

Whoa! Careful! Speaking truths in such an open manner will land you in hot water.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
In the finest traditions

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
This has got to be from the Onion?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn white people
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
there is no such thing as white privilege. So the entire premise is moot.

Do they actually print this stuff?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
They should send those "winning" debate teams as State department diplomats to negotiate with the Rooskies.  They can't do any worse than John "Stuck in Iraq" Kerry, and might provide more entertainment value.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The battle to deconstruct Western civilization is tirelessly fought by those that hate it. From the Oval Office on down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought it was an onion article...

"Rather than address the resolution straight on..."  

More like completely disregarding the topic of the debate competition...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Not impressed

by these shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Our government is filled with people with degrees, a lot of them are now being required to get a masters. Look at how poorly it is run, absolute incompetence to say he least.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The battle to deconstruct Western civilization is tirelessly fought by those that hate it. From the Oval Office on down.
View Quote

Yup. Well said.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the from the Onion?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Our government is filled with people with degrees, a lot of them are now being required to get a masters. Look at how poorly it is run, absolute incompetence to say he least.
View Quote

Imagine how worthless college would be if the govt made it totally free. You'd probably need a PHD just to get an office job doing clerical work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
but he refused to yield the floor
View Quote

Can't play within the rules.

performed hip-hop and spoken-word poetry
View Quote

Acted like a child.

“Fuck the time!”
View Quote

Disrespectful.

Rather than address the resolution straight on,
View Quote

No. Just, no.

became the first African-American women to win a national college debate tournament,
View Quote

Wins anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wins anyhow.
View Quote

Yeah.  Seems like there's a void that needs to be filled by a THIRD national debate association.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Profanity withheld in deference to the Christian holiday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF is this imaginary "white privilege" bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Well if the U.S. government is at war with poor black communities maybe they should blame their fearless leader.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I will concede that there may have been some ethnic privilege at work here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, that tournament now means nothing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you kidding me white privilege is awesome, we even get free ice cream on  Tuesdays and 10 cent gas Wednesdays.  The only way to void your white privilege status is if your home has wheels
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me white privilege is awesome, we even get free ice cream on  Tuesdays and 10 cent gas Wednesdays.  The only way to void your white privilege status is if your home has wheels
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can mitigate your white privilege by being gay.  I understand that reduces the criminality a bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#28]
This "Tournament participants from all backgrounds say they have found some of these debate strategies offensive. Even so, the new style has received mainstream acceptance, sympathy, and awards," just reinforces the idea that people should say fuck the rules and do whatever you want. And dog pile anyone who dares to call you out for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to know where I can sign up for some of this white privilege; I work two jobs, have no deductions and get raped on taxes every year so fucksticks like those can show the world how retarded they are.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#30]
So this is some kind of hoax right?
I never heard of The Atlantic before, but even if they are a legit publication, I imagine they probably got passed this story from some other outfit as a joke, and nobody realized it.

If any of this is real, I have no idea what to think of it. That would truly be upsetting to see at a so-called "debate".
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This "Tournament participants from all backgrounds say they have found some of these debate strategies offensive. Even so, the new style has received mainstream acceptance, sympathy, and awards," just reinforces the idea that people should say fuck the rules and do whatever you want. And dog pile anyone who dares to call you out for it.
View Quote

If you're white you have to play by the rules. And you have to lose.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Vinge and Kurzweil may have their Technological Singularity to discuss, but I think far more likely and immediate is the coming Idiocratic Singularity. It's happening and American culture is far beyond the point where absurdity is recognized and treated for what it is. Academia itself is establishing that mass anger, profanity and shouting is superior to reason and logic. I want off this planet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only a fool plays when he knows the deck is stacked.

Play a different game.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]
wow. an orgy of their own victimhood.

well, it certainly fits in GD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#35]
affirmative action ( the good kind of racism ) is alive and well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#36]
...I'm not sure what bothers me more, the premise of the article, or the fact that it got published.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Vox Day said it best regarding this incident:

"If logic is white privilege, then so is civilization."
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Vox Day said it best regarding this incident:

"If logic is white privilege, then so is civilization."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#39]
No.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

One more example of this country going to shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So this is some kind of hoax right?
I never heard of The Atlantic before, but even if they are a legit publication, I imagine they probably got passed this story from some other outfit as a joke, and nobody realized it.

If any of this is real, I have no idea what to think of it. That would truly be upsetting to see at a so-called "debate".
View Quote

They've been around for 157 years.  They publish "long-form" articles about various topics, like the New Yorker or such.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Two black guys guys could murder a white baby on stage, then fuck each other in the ass and they would be awarded honorary doctorate degrees at the university that is hosting the "debates".

"Academia" is so fucking upside down that nothing means anything anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is the from the Onion?
View Quote

That's what I thought
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our "privilege" is paying taxes so the other can live large on the dole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#45]
From the article:

"It used to be that if you went to a college-level debate tournament, ... they’d recite academic arguments for and against various government policies. ...

No more.

These days, ... participants [are]... incorporating personal experience, performance...

Indeed, to prevail using the new approach, students don’t necessarily have to develop high-level research skills or marshal evidence from published scholarship. They also might not need to have the intellectual acuity required for arguing both sides of a resolution."

I haven't been to a college debate in a long time, but from this it sounds as though "debate" has morphed from an endeavor to judge presentation of logic and mastery of facts to an endeavor to judge quality of stage performance and appeal to emotion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's the video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbQftMe6qY

At 49-50 minutes they start playing music and he starts rapping  

The two woman do some weird thing where they breath hard and say "uh" loud every 5 seconds.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#47]
What's sad about this is not that some fading liberal publication wrote it. It's that the vast majority of big name conservatives are afraid to use it to make hay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Vinge and Kurzweil may have their Technological Singularity to discuss, but I think far more likely and immediate is the coming Idiocratic Singularity. It's happening and American culture is far beyond the point where absurdity is recognized and treated for what it is. Academia itself is establishing that mass anger, profanity and shouting is superior to reason and logic. I want off this planet.
View Quote

Nature abhors cognitive dissonance. The pendulum is going to swing wayyyyyyyyyyyy back the other way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#49]
This isn't complicated, guys. Anything based on or in any way related to a thought which cannot be summarized by "kill whitey" reinforces white privilege.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From the article:

"It used to be that if you went to a college-level debate tournament, ... they’d recite academic arguments for and against various government policies. ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the article:

From worthwhile.

No more.

These days, ... participants [are]... incorporating personal experience, performance...

Indeed, to prevail using the new approach, students don’t necessarily have to develop high-level research skills or marshal evidence from published scholarship. They also might not need to have the intellectual acuity required for arguing both sides of a resolution.
"

To worthless.

Diversity is strength!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top