Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:27 AM EDT
Yep fellas, you could say that I will be eating high on the h...no the cow.  I just picked up 1/2 of a cow at $2.60 a pound.  I was telling about this score last year and someone said "pics or it didn't happen".  Well here it is.

344 pounds of roasts, steaks, cube steak, grind, stew meat, etc.

The steaks are cut at 1 1/2" thick.  Rib eyes, porterhouse, sirloins, round and tbones.

Two briskets

A bunch of roasts.

Provided the freezer doesn't break, I'm good to go.  Just bought it when the news media is reporting the price of beef is skyrocketing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Address and time for arf barbecue?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
kcolg30 likes...

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]

All hail your delicious meat bags !
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
congratulations! you bought some meat from the store...just like everyone else
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I foresee much meatloaf and hamburger helper in your future
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]

1200 lbs....cost me $200 two years ago for the steers and I let them now my grass for two summers

( oh...and that is freezer 1 of 3)...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm no, I bought this from a friend who has a cattle ranch in MD.

He pulls out three to four cows a year for friends and family to share.  Nothing but grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics.  He lets them fatten up really slowly on grass and then has them cut any which way you like them.  The difference in this meat and the meat from the grocery store is night and day.

These are prime steaks and roasts and you can tell.

And I got it all for $2.60 a pound hanging weight which probably translates into $3.50 per pound of actual meat.  Considering each of the sirloins would probably be $30, this is a steal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63065

1200 lbs....cost me $200 two years ago for the steers and I let them now my grass for two summers

View Quote

You win!  Just dang, hope you have a family of 20 or else some of that will have freezer burn.  Well that or you eat beef for every meal served with a side of beef and a beef desert! :D

BUT $200 + care + butchering.....nah  you still win!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
YUM. I pick mine up in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

When's the cook-out?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bring the beer...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He pulls out three to four cows a year for friends and family to share.  Nothing but grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics.  He lets them fatten up really slowly on grass and then has them cut any which way you like them.  The difference in this meat and the meat from the grocery store is night and day.

And I got it all for $2.60 a pound hanging weight which probably translates into $3.50 per pound of actual meat.  Considering each of the sirloins would probably be $30, this is a steal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, and your friend sent the cow the the butcher who processed it packaged it and had it shipped to you
only one step above cub foods because you know what ranch it came from. you still just bought meat from a store.

slaughter and process it yourself and I will be impressed
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vacuum seal for the win.  I use mine for steaks, roasts, fish, cooked stuff etc.  They are great!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Vacuum seal for the win.  I use mine for steaks, roasts, fish, cooked stuff etc.  They are great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second this.
Must vac seal.

Now if I could only find affordable beef.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

the freezer light is like gods grace shining down on all that goodness...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, we just picked up a small package of our first locally grown grass-fed beef from (as best I can tell) the ONLY people within about a  2 hour drive of us.  

Cooked the sirloin steaks a couple of nights ago and they were awful.  Tough, fascia everywhere, weird texture.  

I'm thinking it's because his cattle is longhorn which is about the leanest beef you can get.  

We were so disappointed because we finally found a source that's convenient to keep us supplied.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn I was hoping for the invite to put your meat on my grill

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Sir, I applaud you .  That right there is good eatin...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I paid 2.58 lb for my meat from the farmer the same farmers I deliver too.   All burger, roasts steaks everything is 2.58lb  

If anybody in MN and WIS wants meat I can give you his # and hook you up.

Jaime
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yup, and your friend sent the cow the the butcher who processed it packaged it and had it shipped to you
only one step above cub foods because you know what ranch it came from. you still just bought meat from a store.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.....

Yeah, I'll go find a herd, cut out a calf and tie it to the tree in my front yard.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#21]
" />

1) our family gathering are big (around 50 for tomorrow) and about 6 times a year

2) we give a fair amount to shelters around Christmas and thanksgiving including about 100 chickens

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#22]
How long will that stay good frozen?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Vacuum packed I a horizontal deep freeze without a defrost cycle?  A long time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I make a mean potato salad that I could bring.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll bring the beer...
View Quote

Corona please...

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Man, we just picked up a small package of our first locally grown grass-fed beef from (as best I can tell) the ONLY people within about a  2 hour drive of us.  

Cooked the sirloin steaks a couple of nights ago and they were awful.  Tough, fascia everywhere, weird texture.  

I'm thinking it's because his cattle is longhorn which is about the leanest beef you can get.  

We were so disappointed because we finally found a source that's convenient to keep us supplied.  
View Quote

We had the same experience a couple of years ago.  Steaks were .  The hamburger was pretty good though.  I'll stick with deer and Elk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I've got some cooling in the fridge right now for supper.  Boiled extra eggs to devil 'em up too.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've got some cooling in the fridge right now for supper.  Boiled extra eggs to devil 'em up too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Oh damn, deviled eggs.  Those are like crack.

Now I'm going to have to make some in the very near future.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We had the same experience a couple of years ago.  Steaks were .  The hamburger was pretty good though.  I'll stick with deer and Elk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have 2 more of the sirloin steaks that I guess I'll cut up and try as stew meat.  We haven't tried the roasts (2 of those as well) or the hamburger.  

My husband's uncle has cattle and we've tried for years to get meat from him but he considers them pets and doesn't get them butchered.  He recently broke his hip though so we suspect he might sell most or all of them off because he's getting to the point where he won't be able to take care of them anymore.  Maybe we'll be able to get in on some of that action.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#30]
That looks like more than seven days worth of food. You must be a terrorist. Are you missing any fingers?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Sir, your meat is truly impressive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn!   OPs got some fine looking meat yall!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sir, your meat is truly impressive.
View Quote
i have now seen it all posted in GD

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
My parents did this yearly. Best way to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Fantastic price.  My inlaws just sold some beef calves and got $2.40 a pound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top