Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2014 5:29:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]

I hear it's also more manly to access the internet on an IBM Selectric rather than on a computer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Genius.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never thought of splitting wood inside a tire, but apparently that's common according to the linked videos.  Makes sense, especially in winter when the split wood goes flying into the snow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
eurotrash,,,,,no wonder they're our bitches,,,,,,
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
that's badass albeit not $250 worth of badass
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never thought of splitting wood inside a tire, but apparently that's common according to the linked videos.  Makes sense, especially in winter when the split wood goes flying into the snow.
View Quote

Was just thinking this myself.  Keeps you from having to stand the wood back up every time you swing the axe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That might work well if you are splitting one or two pieces of wood.  After that your hands and wrists will be killing you from the jarring movement of the axe.  There is no way you could split an entire truck load of firewood like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Neat.  I like it, but I'm too cheap to pay that for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it could be made from a leaf spring, and I never seen that tire trick either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The tire idea is free.

The $250 Eurobitch axe can kiss my American ass!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That might work well if you are splitting one or two pieces of wood.  After that your hands and wrists will be killing you from the jarring movement of the axe.  There is no way you could split an entire truck load of firewood like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's sorta addressed in the FAQ:

Question 8: Does the axe concentrate a lot of strain on the wrists by constantly levering to the side? Does is strain the arms as much as a traditional axe?

Answer: The technique of using the VIPUKIRVES™ is unique, as the grip is loosened when the blade strikes the log. The blade automatically creates a levering movement and detaches chopped wood with more force than the traditional axe. The handle doesn’t jolt in the user’s hands during the hewing. The handle just turns in the user’s hands and the laws of physics work to your advantage. You shouldn’t restrain or force the movement. The VIPUKIRVES™ doesn’t slip upon striking the log because its kinetic energy stops when it hits the wood. Like everyone who has ever chopped firewood knows, a traditional axe jolts occasionally and injure the user’s wrists. This tool was developed to address that disadvantage.

I'd give it a try if a friend had one.  But I can't justify $250 on a single use tool.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hear it's also more manly to access the internet on an IBM Selectric rather than on a computer.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#14]
That would only work with the perfect wood grain and a specific wood at a particular state of dryness. It would also put a lot of stress on your wrist.

I'd like to see a video of someone using that axe on Maple or ash, especially with one knot in the log. Fresh cut.

The tire method isn't all that it's cracked up to be, either. I tried that and it only works well under specific circumstances. If you have a log just the right size and it's a variety of wood that splits easily, it works. If not, the tires slip around and the whole thing goes to shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Might work, would have to try it on several different types of wood.  Even though they address the wrist issue, I would still have to try it in person to see if it destroys your wrists after a few logs.  They would need to make it cheaper though, $250 is too much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do you need snow tires for this in the winter?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Chopping a cord (or several) is a lot of work.   If this makes the job that much easier and avoids having to bust a wedged axe out of a stubborn log,

it's got to be worth it.

Not that I chop up much firewood here in Florida.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Lets see them split some oak with that thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That would only work with the perfect wood grain and a specific wood at a particular state of dryness. It would also put a lot of stress on your wrist.

I'd like to see a video of someone using that axe on Maple or ash, especially with one knot in the log. Fresh cut.

The tire method isn't all that it's cracked up to be, either. I tried that and it only works well under specific circumstances. If you have a log just the right size and it's a variety of wood that splits easily, it works. If not, the tires slip around and the whole thing goes to shit.
View Quote

This. I'd like to see some guy lay into a chunk of oak or walnut with that thing. I have serious doubts it'd do anything at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]
has anyone found a cheap Chinese knock off yet ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Might work, would have to try it on several different types of wood.  Even though they address the wrist issue, I would still have to try it in person to see if it destroys your wrists after a few logs.  They would need to make it cheaper though, $250 is too much.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

View Quote

I'll take a barefoot axe lady over that any day (she is actually doing the same thing, cocking the head on entry, but with technique instead). This is not easy splitting wood either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This. I'd like to see some guy lay into a chunk of oak or walnut with that thing. I have serious doubts it'd do anything at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't want to burn hardwood for heat anyway, do you?

In Finland I assume they mostly have birch trees and spruce for firewood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#26]

It looks like it would be hell on the wrist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've seen those posted before. Wonder what kind of wood they're splitting?  

I have a Fiskars splitting axe that works pretty well.

View Quote

looks like beech birch
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
looks like beech
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

looks like beech
Birch.  Flaky white bark
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Birch  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like beech
Birch  

that's what i meant
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

using a section of chain link wrapped around the logged connected with a bungee cord does the same and works well too..

i like the tire idea though
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Working smarter, not harder is for wimps and faggots.

'Murica...fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#32]
The proper technique for this thing is to loosen your grip when you swing it? What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#33]
does that thing twist the fuck out of your wrist or what?

ETA. Asked and answered
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#34]
The idea is actually a great one..$250? No not at all, but a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'll take a barefoot axe lady over that any day (she is actually doing the same thing, cocking the head on entry, but with technique instead). This is not easy splitting wood either.

http://youtu.be/7fWo0P0MdJM
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The tire idea is free.

i really want to see her do that naked...    not sure why
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#36]
We just use hydrolic splitting machined. Screw swinging an axe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

View Quote

Thanks, just sprayed my monitor with some of my breakfast when I read this and bust a laugh.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The tire idea is free.

i really want to see her do that naked...    not sure why
Even if she wasn't chopping wood, I think I'd be ok with that too.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I feel like I've seen a wedge that was shaped just like that. One good hit and it rolls.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

I'm strangely aroused by that. Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#41]
out since at least 2008, and is the laughing stock of guys over at www.hearth.com

fiskars is better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Does it come in a left0handed version.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oak splits easy. Elm is a real bitch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

I would marry her even if she only has three toes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

I've done plenty of dumb shit while improperly dressed, like using a chain saw when wearing shorts... but that's a whole 'nother level of "I'm trying to hurt myself" right there
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

I'll bet she has great can-                  

ing skills too
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've done plenty of dumb shit while improperly dressed, like using a chain saw when wearing shorts... but that's a whole 'nother level of "I'm trying to hurt myself" right there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tire idea is free.

Some people realize their brain is the best safety. Other people rely on protection. Some people use both. While I prefer the latter, I don't look at that and think she is crazy. The hiking boots I'd be wearing would be no match for that axe anyway. And notice she never even comes close to the rocks she is splitting on much less her toes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Wonder how many folks would use proper technique if they were forced to be barefoot?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top