Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 5:17:40 AM EDT
Dropped new pads on nearly new rotors. Squeal is very annoying. 04 Boxster S with the Brembo brakes. Baldor rotors, Pagdin front and Texstsr rear pads.

This was suggested:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Ever try this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I always bed my pads
Even on non performance cars

It's fun
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always bed my pads
Even on non performance cars.

View Quote

Couple tips for pad installs:

Always chamfer the pad edges. Leading, trailing, center, ALL the pad edges.
Use the lube that is usually provided to lube all pad/caliper contact points.
Make sure the caliper is clean and properly lubed.
Make sure the pad and disc surfaces are clean.
Lightly scuff the pad surface before install.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I bed in my pads, always. I also use the old school Lucas adhesive pads on the backs of the pads and never, ever, ever had a squealer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't kept a car long enough to need new pads, although I did work one of my p-cars hard enough to boil the fluid. Nice choice on the Boxster - go Porsche or go home.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Always did the same procedure after installing new pads on my motorcycle.  Not sure who first told me to do this, not even sure how much of a difference it made, but it was fun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I do it, especially in performance applications. Hawks and Power Stop recommend procedures similar to the one in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ceramic?  Ceramic always squeals on me.  Believe it or not some duct tape on the back of the pad will cure it for a while and lasts longer than the paste.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always bed my pads
Even on non performance cars.

Good suggestions, I have never tried chamfering the pads, gotta remember that one.
I use "anti squeal" on the backs of the pads too.
Not sure how P cars go together but I know that on Toyotas if you do not clean/lube the long bolts that hold the calipers on, they can cause squeak and/or mimic a sticking caliper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Boxster lol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I never knew bedding was optional ...

Use a scotchbrite to get any old brake pad material off the rotors, and use caliper grease on the new pads and shims.  If you ask 10 different people how to bed brakes you'll get 10 different answers.  I always just do a few hard brakes from 60 to 10 or so (don't stop completely) and then drive a few minutes without touching the brakes to let them cool down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I also believe in bedding in brakes. There are various methods like others have said, but it is indeed a must.

Plus its fun and freaks out the locals
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Bed in the pads. If that doesn't work, it might just be down to the heat range of the pads or if they are "racing" pads. They can squeal if there isn't much heat in them.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Bedding is a must imo HOWEVER when using old rotors I run the pads under light use for 100 miles or so THEN I bed in the pads. This gives any high spots in the rotor a chance to wear into the pad creati g better contact between the two. YMMV but I was taught this by a guy with a handlebar mustache.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bed in the pads. If that doesn't work, it might just be down to the heat range of the pads or if they are "racing" pads. They can squeal if there isn't much heat in them.

View Quote

QFT.

OEM's usually try to formulate their pads for balance between braking power and daily comfort (noise, longevity, dust).

So, because racecar... it might be a new characteristic for the OP to contend with.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

QFT.

OEM's usually try to formulate their pads for balance between braking power and daily comfort (noise, longevity, dust).

So, because racecar... it might be a new characteristic for the OP to contend with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.

That reminded me. Made that mistake once.
Racecar pads make racecar noises.

Stuff good for racecar doesn't always translate into good for daily driver/weekend warrior use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Throw some copper grease on back of pads.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Boxster lol.
View Quote

your mullet is showing
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dropped new pads on nearly new rotors. Squeal is very annoying. 04 Boxster S with the Brembo brakes. Baldor rotors, Pagdin front and Texstsr rear pads.

This was suggested:

Ever try this?
View Quote

When changing pad types or new pads - yes, I do it every time. For me its a must.  I change pads a lot.  

Just make sure that when you are doing it that you do it smoothly.  You still need to exert force necessary to shape the pad to the rotor - just don't 'panic jab" to start the event.

ETA:  Building heat is key to the process.  So make sure the bedding events are successive.  Pick the right road to do that.  Most roads aren't ideal.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This was suggested:

Ever try this?
View Quote

Bedding helps and Dave Z. Is a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was running Pagid Blues on my Audi S4, even after a good bedding they were loud and gave off dust like a mofo.

Best pads I've ever used on my car though.  Amazing stopping ability.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Always bed the pads like the other guys have said. You know you are doing it right when you can smell the fluid boiling out of the rotors. It smells similar to that smell transmission fluid makes when it burns up. Also, some of the more high- performance brakes just tend to squeak more than your average run-of-the-mill type ones. I have had buddies spend a bunch of money on new brakes, only to complain that they squeak too much. Chamfering the leading and trailing edge of the pads can help, but sometimes the noise won't go all the way away depending on your pads and rotors. Pads with high "initial bite" seem to squeak more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Solved.

Now to re-bed them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Boxster lol.
View Quote

Please post pics of your DD. This car is paid for and a blast to drive every chance I get. Track and Bonneville this summer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top