Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/19/2014 5:15:47 AM EDT
It’s time for Western states to take control of federal lands within their borders, lawmakers and county commissioners from Western states said at Utah’s Capitol on Friday.

More than 50 political leaders from nine states convened for the first time to talk about their joint goal: wresting control of oil-, timber -and mineral-rich lands away from the feds.

"It’s simply time," said Rep. Ken Ivory, R-West Jordan, who organized the Legislative Summit on the Transfer for Public Lands along with Montana state Sen. Jennifer Fielder. "The urgency is now."

Utah House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, was flanked by a dozen participants, including her counterparts from Idaho and Montana, during a press conference after the daylong closed-door summit. U.S. Sen. Mike Lee addressed the group over lunch, Ivory said. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington also were represented.
View Quote

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57836973-90/utah-lands-lawmakers-federal.html.csp
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I can agree to that
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope the Bundy incident will finally turn the tide out west. Godspeed, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can We couldn't agree more to with that
View Quote

FIFU
Fixed it for us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Are those states in a fiscal position to manage those lands that they want?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Probably would be if they started using the apparent mineral wealth of those lands.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering the Federal Goverments debt, I would say yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once they get control and can sell resources off of it?  Absolutely.  It will make money for the state, more than likely.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
It's about time we had this national conversation.  Just common sense.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's about time we had this national conversation.  Just common sense.
View Quote

We need a pathway for state residents to control their own land.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
the Federal government shouldn't own all the land they do out west. it's bullshit.

if that land could be transferred to the states and much of it sold, it would do very well to help the economies out there.

keeping it federal allows it to remain stagnant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
OH FUCK NO.

The state legislatures are full of petty crooks that would be stealing the cookies  from the cookie jar faster than you can imagine.  These "conferences" are all about transferring Federal lands to state control where selected rich and influential individuals can acquire the deeds.

There are very good reasons why the dry Western states need a preponderance of public lands, and I certainly don't expect the derptastic ignorance of East Coast Bible-based 8th-grade-education GD logic to understand.

Signing them over to a bunch of thieving lawyers in the state legislature is stupidity of the highest order and would completely destroy the quality of life in the West, aside from the water disaster, you might as well move down South or to Texas...  no freedom of movement on the land and home of the "No Trespassing" sign.

Fuck No.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope all those folks have good tax attorneys.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

The state legislatures are full of petty crooks that would be stealing the cookies  from the cookie jar faster than you can imagine.  These "conferences" are all about transferring Federal lands to state control where selected rich and influential individuals can acquire the deeds.

There are very good reasons why the dry Western states need a preponderance of public lands, and I certainly don't expect the derptastic ignorance of East Coast Bible-based 8th-grade-education GD logic to understand.

Signing them over to a bunch of thieving lawyers in the state legislature is stupidity of the highest order and would completely destroy the quality of life in the West, aside from the water disaster, you might as well move down South or to Texas...  no freedom of movement on the land and home of the "No Trespassing" sign.

Fuck No.

View Quote

Excuse me????????
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Excuse me????????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

Excuse me????????

Sarcasm

I guess not.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Something real needs to be done, yes.

However I foresee heart attacks, car accidents, plane crashes, and of course the suicide via multiple gsw's for all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Excuse me????????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

Excuse me????????

I've had this discussion before...  I know where it ends.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

View Quote

lol.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

Excuse me????????

I'll concede that State legislatures are controlled by crooks.  But  they responsive to their constitutes and most importantly THEY CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Try holding some piece of shit bureaucrat at the EPA or Department of the Interior accountable.  You can't.  By design, we have next to no recourse with those people.

Is this solution perfect?  No.  Is giving power back to the States, where it belongs, better than the central control of unaccountable federal thugs?  Yes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Once they get control and can sell resources off of it?  Absolutely.  It will make money for the state, more than likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prime reason that there's so much fed land in NV is that the land there wasn't profitable enough for settlers to get custody of it, because they had to leave for better land in order to make it.

Sure, in places like CO, UT, and some other states with lush forests, and other attractive areas, it could be at least a zero sum game (or better), but.......in places like NV where you might be able to graze a few cattle, but not any kind of stocking rate that would allow a rancher to get a grazing lease (so that the land isn't over grazed) that would be profitable for him, as opposed to going into another business.

The reason it works on a federal level is that the cost/revenue discrepancy for these less attractive lands is spread over the very attractive lands that the feds control.  In that way, they can deal with taking a net loss in NV lands, but cover that loss with revenues made in CO, UT, ETC.

Splitting that ability up will end in a net loss for NV, and some gains for UT, CO, WY, etc.

The problem is that nothing in essence, will change with respect to the way that the lands are managed.  Who owns the land does not change the land's stocking rate.  The land and the vegetation supported dictates the stocking rate, that is, if you want to be able to graze it year after year, and not just for one year.......

So what's the argument?  State's rights?  Do people want to develop this land?  We really don't want more people moving to the west, the ecosystem can't produce enough water to support that much of a rise in population.  I've seen the water projections out to 2050 for CO, have you?  It's not pretty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do you think the mineral rights are worth more than say, sage grouse?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that proper land management can achieve both.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]
No!  That will create jobs!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but as I'm sure you're aware, they are more concerned about closing down lands to protect sage grouse than they are with extracting energy.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
True, but as I'm sure you're aware, they are more concerned about closing down lands to protect sage grouse than they are with extracting energy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, one thing that you don't realize about sage grouse, is that Sage brush and sage grouse are obligates.  Get rid of either, and that ecosystem fails.  It's not as small of an issue as you make it out to be.

If the ecosystem fails, it will cost us more $$$ that we made from recovering the minerals......to recover the system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close.  There's a reason the feds manage that land.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  The states want to sell the land off to developers and make all the states just like TX, where there is no public land to do anything with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No.  The states want to sell the land off to developers and make all the states just like TX, where there is no public land to do anything with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no!  No one wants to be like Texas with all those jobs and budget surpluses!

From what I see, federal lands are roped off and nothing is done with them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, one thing that you don't realize about sage grouse, is that Sage brush and sage grouse are obligates.  Get rid of either, and that ecosystem fails.  It's not as small of an issue as you make it out to be.

If the ecosystem fails, it will cost us more $$$ that we made from recovering the minerals......to recover the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know there is a hunting season on sage grouse, right?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

View Quote

Please take the dick out of your mouth when you post here
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

manage? do you mean let is be natural, stay natural, naturally? Why does that cost money? LOL

Let the land be land. Natural selection.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You know there is a hunting season on sage grouse, right?

View Quote

I do.  Are bag numbers managed to achieve a management goal, just like with any other hunt?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

manage? do you mean let is be natural, stay natural, naturally? Why does that cost money? LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just stop.  You don't know what you are talking about, and it's showing.  

Eta.  Go google the phrase "alternative stable state" and get back to me on why that can be a net bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

The state legislatures are full of petty crooks that would be stealing the cookies  from the cookie jar faster than you can imagine.

View Quote
And the feds aren't?  Look at Keystone.  They are content to let unemployment fester and ruin lives of the public to satisfy their ideology and environmentalist donors.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

View Quote

your a sad individual

elitist will be elitist
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'll concede that State legislatures are controlled by crooks.  But  they responsive to their constitutes and most importantly THEY CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Try holding some piece of shit bureaucrat at the EPA or Department of the Interior accountable.  You can't.  By design, we have next to no recourse with those people.

Is this solution perfect?  No.  Is giving power back to the States, where it belongs, better than the central control of unaccountable federal thugs?  Yes.
View Quote

That right there.

It will fall on blind eyes though- all that the broke blue states and federal employees can think of right now is how to get more life support out of the federal government, and they mistakenly think that people like Harry Reid can turn a profit on command economic programs like Solar Energy.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, you're not from out west.

You're completely incorrect in your "what I see" assumptions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
your a sad individual

elitist will be elitist
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

your a sad individual

elitist will be elitist
You're a sad individual.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope the Bundy incident will finally turn the tide out west. Godspeed, gentlemen.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I can only imagine the permit and paperwork that must be done for say a ski slope built on
federal land.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am from Alaska where a lot of our oil resources are roped off by the Feds, ANWR was created out of political spite by Jimmy Carter to harm the state of Alaska because our senator Gravel displeased him.

We could have more wealth, more jobs, cheaper oil, but we can't because of idiots in Washington DC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

Can you elaborate on what that means, exactly?

I'm sorry, but Texas is a Godawful place to live, expressly because of the lack of public lands.  That's the reason you people have to buy up all the Elk tags in the Southwest, and why you see so many Texas plates in the NF lands in the summer.  Refugees.  Stay home and enjoy your no trespassing signs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but Texas is a Godawful place to live, expressly because of the lack of public lands.  That's the reason you people have to buy up all the Elk tags in the Southwest, and why you see so many Texas plates in the NF lands in the summer.  Refugees.  Stay home and enjoy your no trespassing signs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

If it is so awful why are people flocking there?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#45]
HA, HA. lol

Like the feds are going to actually give up control......... of anything.

Might as well try to ban the EPA, NFA, ATF and IRS.

Or make snow cones in hell and sell them for .05 each.

HA!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am from Alaska where a lot of our oil resources are roped off by the Feds, ANWR was created out of political spite by Jimmy Carter to harm the state of Alaska because our senator Gravel displeased him.  

We could have more wealth, more jobs, cheaper oil, but we can't because of idiots in Washington DC.
View Quote

Ok.  So, would you not be better off if we could
1) Manage the land for multiple uses, energy development being one of them?
2)  Is it not cheaper to not fuck things up, instead of having to go back and fix them?  
3)  If we can extract energy, AND not fuck things up, isn't that superior then?  
4)  Regulation is necessary to prevent "tragedy of the commons."  (Google that one before you respond)

The problem is that we have 2 diametrically opposed groups that are both fundamentally wrong about natural resources.

We have the camp that thinks that they should be able to do whatever they want with natural resources, end-run consequences be damned.

Then we have the camp that says that natural resources can't be used for anything that produces a product, because that's wrong.

Well, I'll tell you, they are both just as wrong.  

The best, and most solid land management strategies come from being able to extract meaningful products from those resources, but managing them so that the use can be had year after year, not just for one or two years before we strip the land of the ability to regenerate and continue to provide products that we desire.

Use too much too quick, and you won't get any the next year.  That's a net loss.  Not matter how you cut it.  For the producer, and for everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are liberal Californians moving there to drive the final nail into Texas's coffin
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
what's wrong with private property. you people communist? think everything should belong to the state?

wtf
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That right there.

It will fall on blind eyes though- all that the broke blue states and federal employees can think of right now is how to get more life support out of the federal government, and they mistakenly think that people like Harry Reid can turn a profit on command economic programs like Solar Energy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there.

Do you think that if the BLM land between I-15 and the Virgin Mountains was managed by the State of Nevada, rather than the Feds, that the State would have sided with Cliven Bundy and against the Reids (LOL) over some big money solar project?  I can assure you that they would not...  in most Western States the law obligates the state to only consider the greatest financial gain in terms of land use decisions...  further, had that land been managed by the State, you can bet your ass that Cliven Bundy's refusal to pay his grazing fees would have been nipped in the bud the first year, not twenty years down the road.  

If the state of Nevada was running that area, some developer (who just happens to be a state senator) would have long since seized Bundy's water rights by imminent domain, and the State would have sold off that public domain land for pennies on the dollar to develop "Mesquite Valley Highlands Planned Community and Golf Resort."

Just an upshot being that land now open for hunting, hiking, camping, shooting and four-wheeling would be locked up.

However, some dudes in the state legislature would be happier, and richer, and Cliven Bundy would be decades gone from the land.

FACT.  Happens all over the West just as soon as State Land (which is not public in the same sense as Federal domains) reach a tipping point of cash value.

Go to the Arizona HTF and ask what is happening to State Lands formerly used for hunting, shooting (and grazing) around Florence now that real estate is picking back up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

Fuck No.

$$$$$

Then they flock to AZ, NM and CO to enjoy the public lands that they hate so much.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top