Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2014 4:37:14 AM EDT
I've got an employee who has worked for me for a number of years  She's been an excellent technician for most of those years. She continued to do good work even while going through the breakup of her marriage.

But her work the last few months has been lackluster and she's had trouble getting along with coworkers and flipping out occasionally.

In the last week I've heard her say at least 3 times that she doesn't get paid enough to deal with this.

Should I:

A: Discuss this with her and encourage her to look and see if she can find a better position elsewhere at better pay

B: Consider giving her a raise which based upon her years of work she may deserve but not at her current status

C: Potato

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What are the situations she's complaining about? If they're valid then go from there, if not cut her loose
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've got an employee who has worked for me for a number of years  She's been an excellent technician for most of those years. She continued to do good work even while going through the breakup of her marriage.

But her work the last few months has been lackluster and she's had trouble getting along with coworkers and flipping out occasionally.

In the last week I've heard her say at least 3 times that she doesn't get paid enough to deal with this.

Should I:

A: Discuss this with her and encourage her to look and see if she can find a better position elsewhere at better pay

B: Consider giving her a raise which based upon her years of work she may deserve but not at her current status

View Quote

Either, but it should be stressed that she is not dealing with her frustration in a healthy productive manner. If the issue is truly work related it should have been communicated long before the point of it boiling over. If the issue is personal in nature she needs to be reminded not to bring that shit to work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If she's always been solid in the past, it sounds like there's something new going on around her that needs to be taken care of. Find out what it is. Then, I'd lean toward B. It's really hard and expensive to find good employees these days--better to invest in the ones you have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell her you appreciate her hard work over X years.  Let her know the negative comments are not conducive to a good work environment.  Also understand the position she is in is horrible, maybe explore a raise if she returns to her prior level of performance and let her know it.  A bad divorce made my awesome boss a thieving scumbag, be happy she is only being bitchy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it like a once-a-month thing that lasts for about a week, by chance?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Should I:
View Quote

Doesn't sound like money is actually the problem here. Even with the raise, she'll still be moping about and complaining until the root cause of the problem is dealt with.
The problem is likely to be something that you have no control over and cannot help resolve, but it might be useful to let her know that you value her as an employee, you've noticed (and are concerned about) the change in work output, and that you are open to discussion if there's anything you can reasonably do to help her get back on track.
Depends on how touchy-feely you are as an employer. If she's hot, you already know she's back on the market

Edited to add: almost forgot to add the standard GD answer to such things - sack her and hire someone else, there's a million people desperate for her job, she should be bowing and scraping in gratitude to you, you ain't go time fo puttin' up with dat shit, etc etc

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried ass sex?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
have  a heart to heart with her yet?

does she get paid enough?
from my personal experience,she is very unhappy about something and it isn't compensation.   sit her down and have a coaching session with her. give her a chance to unfuck herself, she might have a legit beef.  
the balls in her court after that.  i'd give her 4 weeks, same shitty attitude,throw her to the curb.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
When is the last time she got a raise? Is she paid enough to do the work you expect of her? Maybe she has a point, or maybe she's just tired of the rut she's in. We've all been there. Try empathy first.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
OP you should sexually harass her and touch her on the butt.  That way she'll be guaranteed a pay raise at some point awarded by a jury of her peers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
sit her down in a closed door meeting and just ask her whats going on.  Then make your move based on what she says.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell her you appreciate her hard work over X years.  Let her know the negative comments are not conducive to a good work environment.  Also understand the position she is in is horrible, maybe explore a raise if she returns to her prior level of performance and let her know it.  A bad divorce made my awesome boss a thieving scumbag, be happy she is only being bitchy.
View Quote

This in combination with a final warning letter letting her know any further outbursts could result in disciplinary action up to and including her termination.  Continue to be concerned and cordial, and assist in any way you can, but you can't let it continue as she could cause other workers to complain of a hostile workplace.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
sit her down in a closed door meeting and just ask her whats going on.  Then make your move based on what she says.
View Quote

This.  It's not rocket surgery
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
you should probably talk to HER, vs the interwebs
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
see a counselor, her personal life is definitely messing her up - have a witness/HR with you, she can claim anything like sexual harassment on you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Fired.  

When an employee says that to me, i can them.  I dont have time for drama or bullshit.  Tell her to stfu and do her job or hit the road.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Flip out man. You don't get paid enough to deal with her shit. Oh.. wait, do you?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you should probably talk to HER, vs the interwebs
View Quote

DING DING DING....

Unhappy employees typically come from lackluster management of said employees. Sit down and figure out whats up. Then do your job as a manager and manage the situation and resolve what ever is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I fire employees for negative attitude, their past performance and attitude determines how long I give them to unfuck themselves.  Honestly every couple of years of doing the same thing people burn out and she just might need a short period.  One person can be an absolute cancer to a business.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I think every employee has said those exact words.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It's...um....people surgery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fired.  

When an employee says that to me, i can them.  I dont have time for drama or bullshit.  Tell her to stfu and do her job or hit the road.
View Quote

Burning a other wise good employee because they are showing signs of frustration is lazy management. Find and fix the problem. Keep well trained good employee = profit.

Hiring and training is a PITA and not cost effective nor does it build moral or confidence in the employer by your work force. Now im not saying not to shit can any one but if your first course of action at employee frustration is "hit the road jack" then your a shitty manager.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
There are times that I wish I could say "I don't get paid enough for this shit", but I actually get paid more than I'm worth so I suck it up and do the shitty task.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are thinking you don't get paid enough for this..... There is you answer. Maybe she feels the same way ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Sit her down for a closed door meeting.

If she's due for a salary review, this might be a good time or at least discuss when her next salary review is due and what effect her current attitude might have on her NEXT salary/promotion review..

Find out if she is due any vacation time/personal leave time. Suggest that she take some time off now and straighten some things out in her personal life.

If your health insurance plan allows for psych care or counseling, suggest she use it.

...if this goes bad, TELL HER that she's GOING to take some personal leave time right now and show her the door with the caveat of "get your shit together and then come back." (Take 2-weeks WITH pay and get your shit together...if it's not together when you get back, bring a box to pack your stuff because you're leaving...)

If that doesn't work, tell her that "We don't allow BMW's here" (bitching-moaning-whining) because it pollutes the workplace and creates discontent among the other workers. If she can't handle that, then fire her ass.

I'm not saying don't be compassionate, but it's her problem so don't make it yours. This is like one goat's head thorn patch in the perfect lawn. Pretty soon you'll have thorns for a lawn and no grass left if you don't pull it out and burn it now.

ETA: Is she anywhere near 40-45 years old? She might need medical care. I've seen perfectly good employees go full-throttle bat shit when the hormones run out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:07:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

...if your first course of action at employee frustration is "hit the road jack" then your a shitty manager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fired.  

...if your first course of action at employee frustration is "hit the road jack" then your a shitty manager.

Truth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, the way you worded B is interesting.  Has she been less than fairly compensated to this point?  Was someone recently hired, doing a similar job and level of work, for more pay?

Many times existing employees are over looked for their level of performance and pay, and someone will get hired for a better rate because they believe the new person is going to revolutionize the place and make it perform better.  And the existing employees can feel slighted, some taking it better than others.  They feel even more slighted when new guy turns out to be a non-performer that makes them all look bad.

I am always fascinated by people's experiences where they say they turned in a resignation to go to a better job, and suddenly they are offered X dollars to stay.
My first thought is why were you not getting X already?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If she's always been solid in the past, it sounds like there's something new going on around her that needs to be taken care of. Find out what it is. Then, I'd lean toward B. It's really hard and expensive to find good employees these days--better to invest in the ones you have.
View Quote

Sounds like she's burning out.

Time for a vacation, maybe?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
http://i.qkme.me/3owykd.jpg
Burning a other wise good employee because they are showing signs of frustration is lazy management. Find and fix the problem. Keep well trained good employee = profit.

Hiring and training is a PITA and not cost effective nor does it build moral or confidence in the employer by your work force. Now im not saying not to shit can any one but if your first course of action at employee frustration is "hit the road jack" then your a shitty manager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fired.  

No kidding.  That is a sign of poor management.  Sure "everyone is replaceable" but the idiot managers never think of "at what cost".  Letting go of a senior staff member or not treating them well enough to keep them when they know how to do everything, knows the company history, has been a great employee, and has proven themselves is always going to be more expensive then paying them what they deserve.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fired.  

View Quote

Click.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#31]
IBTP!

And use the Janine line on her from Ghostbusters-
Janine, a person with your qualifications should have no problem getting a job in either the food service or house keeping industries
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fired.  

This.  You need to have a discussion with her about what she wants from the company.  She may want to move up, she may want a raise, she may just want some recognition.  Or she may just have become a toxic employee.  If that's the case, get rid of her as soon as possible and know that it was preventable, and your fault, and use that knowledge to prevent other employees from becoming that way as well.  

Management is much easier when you're proactive (something that everyone fails at occasionally).
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I got fired for saying that exact phrase.

(I was working a 6-figure server admin position for less than 35K/year.  My replacement did the job for 30K a year.  For a month.  They lost the contract a few months later.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, but I would want to see improvement before giving her a raise.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Is she hot
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is she hot
View Quote

Yeah, we'z gotz rulez here you know...

Guilty or not?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No kidding.  That is a sign of poor management.  Sure "everyone is replaceable" but the idiot managers never think of "at what cost".  Letting go of a senior staff member or not treating them well enough to keep them when they know how to do everything, knows the company history, has been a great employee, and has proven themselves is always going to be more expensive then paying them what they deserve.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fired.  

This.

I work for a guy who has almost no concept of how long it really takes to get an new employee to be an asset.  He's taken people who like and are excellent at their jobs and put them into other positions.  He''s allowed good people to quit and brought in subpar new hires.   It creates stress, reduces productivity and kills morale.  

The single biggest thing that makes employees happy is autonomy, if they can handle it.  

OP is due for a good long talk with said employee and perhaps some self evaluation as well.  If there is a frustrating situation that is being created by policy and management, maybe it's time for a policy and management review.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
see a counselor, her personal life is definitely messing her up - have a witness/HR with you, she can claim anything like sexual harassment on you.
View Quote

Does her health insurance have a mental health component?

Exhaust your empathy before being a hardass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#39]
FPNI,

Find out the issues.

I used to work with a couple maintenance techs, one was a nice guy but he had a thin skin about certain issues.

The second guy never missed an opportunity to rib the guy about these issues because he knew he would get a rise from the first guy.

The maintenance managers failed t control the asshole and he knew he what was going on.

If she i having issues with a  co worker, and you fail to control it, you could be contributing to the problem.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fired.  

View Quote

Maybe she was hoping to be able to afford an Arfcom Team Membership, but can't.

I hear there's a lot of that going around.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This but have a female HR rep there.

I usually find that the "I don't get paid enough for this" attitude (in an office environment) is a side effect of an overly inflated sense of worth. I have HAD employees that believe they are the end-all, that they are irreplaceable. They are a cancer to the work environment. I usually show them how wrong they are by replacing them....which doesn't always mean they get fired, just moved.

My favorite was a cocky prick who thought that he was the only guy that could possibly do what he did for us. I am pretty sure he sabotaged things so that he could fix them and be the hero. His favorite battle cry was "I don't get paid enough for this shit".....I moved him to a non critical task, replaced him with a recently hired intern, green as the grass. The "intern" has been with that job for 3 years now, and since day 1 was doing 10X better than the old guy. My revenge is that the original cocky prick gets to see how well his replacement is doing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There are times that I wish I could say "I don't get paid enough for this shit", but I actually get paid more than I'm worth so I suck it up and do the shitty task.
View Quote

Me too. I have to correct myself once in awhile. I'm very grateful for what I have....good pay, flexibility.......I don't complain. Sometimes work sucks. Every day isn't some wonderful gratifying personal moment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe she has legit complaints that hasn't mentioned.  As others have said, have a sit down and let her tell you. Develop a plan to address the problem, whether its her or legit.

I was in a similar situation with a coworker that wouldn't pull his weight. I talked to the boss and he never addressed the problem. I wound up transferring to another location and lost a lot of respect for an otherwise great boss. I lost a lot respect for him.

If her complaints are unfounded, give her the opportunity to work on her attitude.  Document, document, document.  Dot your i's and cross your t's to head off harassment complaints.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fired.  

View Quote

Sounds like you feel exactly like she does by taking this route as a manager or business owner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe now that she's not married with 2 incomes in her household, she's feeling some serious financial stress?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Tell her she can dig ditches for $9/hour if she wants something easier to do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#47]
After I see a picture I will answer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fired.  

I would say it depends on how hard they are to replace. If they are valuable then id give them one warning and meet with them. If they werent very hard to replace id cut them loose and sleep better that night knowing their attitude wont spread.

Unfortunately our industry went through a down turn 3 years ago, worst in 50 years. Management now has double the amount of people to deal with as before. That leads to a lot of "screw it, dont have time for your shit, hit the road". 4 out of the last 6 ive let go probably could have been salvaged but I didnt have time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
How are you hearing her complain? She should be in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Should I:

A
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top